TESTERS WANTED! ×

Jon Rahm and the rules

TheWahoo

In two tournaments in a row now, Jon Rahm has had to address the possibility that he may have violated the rules of golf.  Now, being young, I am willing to give him the benefit that he was just not thinking and was just not careful with his actions.  But I would caution him to start thinking and be more careful, at this stage in his career, he does not need the reputation of being relaxed with the rules with the fans and his fellow players.   In both instances, the R&A officials did not assess any penalties.  In fact, in the latest instance, the on course official was over ruled.  I'm not sure that the USGA would have been as generous given the Lexi scenario. 

I can't believe they let him off at the last one. That was plain as day to me. Especially considering the crap DJ has been through with the rules, it's surprising that Rahm is getting off

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I read that Westwood called him on it and the official deemed it okay.... as in he didn't call it on himself...  treading on thin ice here.

If he's on the next Ryder Cup team it will be very VERY interesting to see how he's treated...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I think an older, wiser player would certainly have called a penalty on himself for the ball marking thing. This one I haven't seen so can't say. I also think that the ball marking incident is a little bit of bs, since the act of moving and replacing the mark is rather imperfect already. You can't really tell if the ball itself was moved back to a different spot because you can't tell if the move/move back was executed with exact precision. He was definitely not meticulous about it. All that said a more veteran player would be more likely to remove all doubt and penalize himself.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I read that Westwood called him on it and the official deemed it okay.... as in he didn't call it on himself... treading on thin ice here.

If he's on the next Ryder Cup team it will be very VERY interesting to see how he's treated...

Leave it to Westwood to pull some garbage like that. I can't stand that guy and his ugly face.

IMG_4357.JPG

Leave it to Westwood to pull some garbage like that. I can't stand that guy and his ugly face.

attachicon.gifIMG_4357.JPG

Apparently the wunderkind got the benefit of the doubt....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It occurred on the 17th hole, where Rahm pulled a thorny vine away from his ball. That caught the eye of Lee Westwood, who walked over and pointed out that it was not dead vegetation and therefore could not be deemed a loose impediment.

A rules official was summoned, who asked Rahm whether his piece of gardening had improved his lie. Rahm claimed it had not, but the official still delivered a two-shot sanction.

However, in the recorder's area where the players sign their scorecards, David Rickman, the R&A's chief referee, met with Rahm and after hearing his explanation decided he was in the clear. Thus, the six became a four on the 17th and a one-over 71 became a 69.

Rahm explained his version of events. “I got there and I thought it was a loose impediment because it looked dead, so I just moved it to the side,” Rahm said. “And that's when Lee came and he realised it was attached.

“It was like a reaction. It was automatic. I thought it was dead, so I just moved it to the side. It would not have affected my swing unless I hit a 50-yard slice, which was not the case for any player in the world in that situation.”

Perhaps realising the stir this would cause coming so quickly on the heels of the incident in Co Londonderry, Rahm was keen to point out that he simply went by the referee's decisions.  

“Unfortunately for me I was the only one who saw it,” he said. “There were no cameras to back me up. That's what happened. And it was never on my lie. It was never in my line, never on my swing path. It was not going to bother me anyway.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

There's no way it didn't improve his lie. Why move it if it won't improve your lie? It seems like he just made it up that "I thought it was dead" since that's what Westwood cited as the reason. No way he put that much thought into it.

Rahm should have called a penalty on himself after the ball marking incident when he saw the video, even if the official said no penalty (which I find very disgusting after the Lexi incident).  It would have been the honorable thing to do.  

How does a referee in the scoring area overrule an on course official and playing partner who was there without video evidence?  Just sayin'

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Rahm should have called a penalty on himself after the ball marking incident when he saw the video, even if the official said no penalty (which I find very disgusting after the Lexi incident).  It would have been the honorable thing to do.  

How does a referee in the scoring area overrule an on course official and playing partner who was there without video evidence?  Just sayin'

Given the way in which the R&A handled rule issues versus the USGA, your question causes me to ask:  which body was the driving force for the future relaxed rules-the R&A or the USGA.   I had assumed it was an equal mutual effort, now I wonder.

Rahm should have called a penalty on himself after the ball marking incident when he saw the video, even if the official said no penalty (which I find very disgusting after the Lexi incident). It would have been the honorable thing to do.

How does a referee in the scoring area overrule an on course official and playing partner who was there without video evidence? Just sayin'

Very suspicious.... Best hope for a non American to win???

Sent from my Moto G (4) using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I've grabbed a stick before hat was attached to a root that moved my ball. It did not look like it was attached to anything.

The ball marking thing pisses me off. It's 1/8" no one without a mega zoom camera could find that. Does the ball go back in 100% the same spot? Doubtful, even if you are the most honest ball marker there is. Let em' play.

I've grabbed a stick before hat was attached to a root that moved my ball. It did not look like it was attached to anything.

The ball marking thing pisses me off. It's 1/8" no one without a mega zoom camera could find that. Does the ball go back in 100% the same spot? Doubtful, even if you are the most honest ball marker there is. Let em' play.

If he's going to be a professional he should know how the game is played...ask your playing partner...ask your caddie...ask the rules official...

Agree with you on the ball mark though...he didn't gain an advantage by not marking exactly where it was. They should adopt a 180 degree rule so you can replace your ball anywhere within a 180 degree radius of your mark, no closer to the hole.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Someone should recount JT's 9...

Kick him while he's down why don't ya...Guy shot an 80 and MC after a 67 yesterday...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

If he's going to be a professional he should know how the game is played...ask your playing partner...ask your caddie...ask the rules official...

Agree with you on the ball mark though...he didn't gain an advantage by not marking exactly where it was. They should adopt a 180 degree rule so you can replace your ball anywhere within a 180 degree radius of your mark, no closer to the hole.

You haven't moved a stick or something that wasn't "loose"? Without knowing?

- Alan

You haven't moved a stick or something that wasn't "loose"? Without knowing?

- Alan

If it doesn't affect your shot like he claimed, why move it?

My point is this isn't a Friday comp with some buddies...this is the big leagues and you need to know that rule book inside and out....if you're not sure you better ask. He'll learn but this is big time big money out here...not at UofA anymore kid.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

True.. has anyone read the entire rule book cover to cover?

- Alan

Yeah. I did two seasons as our handicap chair and had to digest the Rules and Decisions and Handicap Manual. I don't recommend it

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

True.. has anyone read the entire rule book cover to cover?

- Alan

Ummm yes! I've actually read "Decisions on the Rules of Golf" (roughly 600 pages) cover to cover.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

There's no way it didn't improve his lie. Why move it if it won't improve your lie? It seems like he just made it up that "I thought it was dead" since that's what Westwood cited as the reason. No way he put that much thought into it.

I didn't see it. But I move things that are in my line of site that might distract me. I don't improve my lie just the neighborhood sometimes lol

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Ummm yes! I've actually read "Decisions on the Rules of Golf" (roughly 600 pages) cover to cover.

No thanks. I keep it on my phone for a reference but there is no way I'd read it all. I was looking for a rule the other day. My ball ended up in the hard pan in a little hole. Impossible to hit, I ended up hitting a shank on purpose, it was the only way I could move the ball.

A great drive that landed in the middle of the fairway and took a 90° turn...(I hate that hole) turned a birdie hole into a bogey, as my shot went about .5 yards. Would have been better to take a drop... maybe. I got spoiled on that nice course never saw any junk like that.. It's like cement with little tufts of grass everywhere and my ball has a magnet to that spot on the course....

- Alan

Mid 1st round, Rahm hit a bunker shot that never got out. He proceeded to fix his prior footprints with his feet, I'm pretty sure that should have been a penelty as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I've seen Phil get nailed with strokes for doing that on one of those bunkers that lines a fairway. Forget the exact circumstances though.

Mid 1st round, Rahm hit a bunker shot that never got out. He proceeded to fix his prior footprints with his feet, I'm pretty sure that should have been a penelty as well.

If you hit a bunker shot and it gets out, but then rolls back in as shots tend to do in these bunkers around these greens at The Open, you can repair the sand if you do it quickly before the ball gets back in the bunker.  Once it's back in the bunker, you can't repair footprints.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If you hit a bunker shot and it gets out, but then rolls back in as shots tend to do in these bunkers around these greens at The Open, you can repair the sand if you do it quickly before the ball gets back in the bunker. Once it's back in the bunker, you can't repair footprints.

This is why I enjoy this learn something new all the time. Such a fine line on what is ok and what is not.

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

If you hit a bunker shot and it gets out, but then rolls back in as shots tend to do in these bunkers around these greens at The Open, you can repair the sand if you do it quickly before the ball gets back in the bunker. Once it's back in the bunker, you can't repair footprints.

Agreed, this one never got out

Archived