Putting matters (just not as much as we thought)

revkev

I've been hard on putting here lately. So I wanted to set the record straight. It does matter it's just that modern metrics have shown that it's not as all important as some have made it seem in the past.

The two important facets of putting are consistently holing short putts and three putt avoidance (generally speed).

So while I will continue to point out that ball striking is more important than putting I'm acknowledging that putting is important.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 8

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

True. Ball striking and getting them close from the fairway sure would statistically lower the scores more than putting counts. I personally experienced the benefit last week while going for 2 of the greens and made it. Made birdies on my counts. I kid you not I asked myself what would rev do. :)

Then we are back to our original argument, and aged old argument short game vs long game. Sure ball striking can be very beneficial but it can take average golfers off a long time to master while their score are in the swamps. Short game improvement approach offers much shorter solution and simple path to lower scores and it transfer to better long game as well.

You just can't become a better player from avg golfer without a good short game but there are plenty of low handicappers who can get away with so-so long game. That's the metric I think.

Short games separate too player from average ones, long game separate better player from good ones. Strong course management and mental game with both separate the best from the rest.

• Like 6

I'm so there on the course management. By being good at that I can work around my weaknesses.

• Like 4

EVNRoll ER 5

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

I'm so there on the course management. By being good at that I can work around my weaknesses.

Course management is absolutely a skill I think alot of golfers do not think about and are weak on. Playing to your strengths will definitely help lower scores.

Ping G20 driver through wedges

Bombtech blade putter

• Like 4

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

I love that you mentioned course management. This is my first year being a member at a course and I've learned how to manage not only certain holes but my game as a whole. I am much smarter with my clubs off the tee to get myself to a yardage I like into the green. Whereas before I was pretty typical driver off anything I could. It's definitely helped as I've gone from a 16-11 handicap.

Side note I know putting is important and a huge asset to have as a skill, but I would side with rev where ball striking would be on the more important side.

• Like 3

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

My putting was once again great today. My driving was good too. Only missing a few fairways in the second cut when out of the fairway. My course management was good as usual. My approach shots today were Meh....

I missed a lot of greens today and my game suffered shooting 78 with 2-doubles. UGH!

• Like 2

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I think that it has to do with one's game and the importance is different for different folks game.

Back when I played competetive golf I never ever considered myself a good ball striker. But I stayed in the hunt by being able to get out of trouble and a good short game and great putting. My old man used to hate my game and said I lived and would die by the wedge and putter. If my putting was off I suffered.

Actually now I am a better ball striker than I ever was and hit more fairways and GIRs. I have gotten older and do not putt bad but not nearly as good as I used to

Course management that is a broad subject for me. Back in the day my late friend Big John told me one time "You hit the ball long and are a heck of a wedge player and a stellar putter but your course management simply sucks"  I guess with age my course management has improved but sometimes I can get so stupid that even the wedge and putter can't help me. I do not get as stupid now as often as I used to but sometimes it will surface

• Like 3

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400 Sensicore--- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bag My Old School Titleist Mini Staff

I've been hard on putting here lately. So I wanted to set the record straight. It does matter it's just that modern metrics have shown that it's not as all important as some have made it seem in the past.

The two important facets of putting are consistently holing short putts and three putt avoidance (generally speed).

So while I will continue to point out that ball striking is more important than putting I'm acknowledging that putting is important.

I do agree with you.  While I could possible shave a few strokes off my score with putting,  I could put a lot less pressure on that aspect of my game by hitting more greens or improving my short game.   If I am badly out of position with the driver,  I am losing strokes by having to pitch back to safety.  if I am hitting fairways or narrowly missing,  i have to hit solid iron shots to get myself within 2 putt range.  If I am missing greens I have to be able to get my chips/pitches to withing 1 putt range; which is my biggest struggle.    

In the end it is up to each individual to assess the aspects of their game to determine the optimum place to work on their game.   For some it could be putting,  for others it could be tee shots,  approach irons, or shortgame.   I just don't think a generalization that one place is best for everyone no matter what their handicap.

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Course management is absolutely a skill I think alot of golfers do not think about and are weak on. Playing to your strengths will definitely help lower scores.

Ping G20 driver through wedges

Bombtech blade putter

I would go further and say that it is a skill that people think they are better at than they really are. Mention it and invariably people start talking about hitting less than driver off the tee. That is hardly what course management is about. It's about knowing what strategy on each hole will net the lowest possible score over a period of time for your game and the having the flexibility to be able to determine how to continue on a hole when you get out of position.

It could be a huge error in golf management to take less than driver on a hole also BTW.

• Like 4

EVNRoll ER 5

Putting has saved me ass when ball striking was bad and it has hindered me when I can't miss a gir.

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 60D

:EVNROLL: ER1v #CustomER

:titelist-small: ProV1

Putting matters to me... a lot!!  It's what saves my rounds, or dooms me to mid-80's rounds.  There are several holes at my course where I have difficulty getting to greens in regulations.  Some are just long for me, and others are long when the prevailing wind blows.  I don't hit many wayward shots, so the long game for me is about as good as it's going to get unless I can gain another 25 yards.  (They keep saying they make drivers that will give me more yards, but they lie!)  So, I have to take advantage of the shorter holes, and scramble well on the longer ones.  That's why I work hard on chipping and putting.  I can see you saying that I should move up to the senior tees, but if I can still shoot in the 70's, I'll stay where I am.  Actually, the senior tees on many of the longer holes don't give enough yardage to make much of a difference.  On those holes where the difference is substantial, it wouldn't really affect my play on the course.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My putting stats went up from 1.6 to 1.8 lately and upon my investigation it turns out I've been using more of my Texas wedge lately. Ok it's cool.

On the topic of course management, for me it starts before my round begins. I plan out all of the shots and options I'd hit on every holes in advance. This usually makes it easier to visualize my shots and sticking to the plan which is the hardest thing.

Plan for the best way to score each holes make options for misses and stick to it. Many of my playing partner fail this because when they stand over the ball they change their plan and go-for-it with such a low percentage shots. Take inventory of your shots regularly and make the plan and stick to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ya know Branden Grace had 28 putts on the 62. I had 29 on my 75 the other day ( for me it was like shooting a 65 at the Open) I think you have to get efficient everywhere you can. Make up for lost stroke with gains somewhere else.

I played a tournament against a team the was low single digits and +0.7. They were good. Real good. But mostly they were long off the tee accurate approach and then had shorter putts. It is a real good recipe for success in this game.

• Like 1

My putting stats went up from 1.6 to 1.8 lately and upon my investigation it turns out I've been using more of my Texas wedge lately. Ok it's cool.

Most people don't count a putt unless they are on the green. Using a putter from the fairway or rough is a choice, but doesn't count as a putt

• Like 1

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Most people don't count a putt unless they are on the green. Using a putter from the fairway or rough is a choice, but doesn't count as a putt

My game golf live counted that I believed when I tag it. I guess I can go back and edit the rounds but it's ok with me.

My game golf live counted that I believed when I tag it. I guess I can go back and edit the rounds but it's ok with me.

Interesting. When entering does that app ask where the shot was taken from? Tee, fairway, bunker, rough, etc

• Like 1

Interesting. When entering does that app ask where the shot was taken from? Tee, fairway, bunker, rough, etc

No. It's a tagging device. Wourking with the app on the phone. Tag it and forget it.

IMG_0682.PNG