[Review]Gotta Golf - Shot Tracing, Social Media App

IMG_4413.PNG

My recent search for shot tracing apps led me to Gotta Golf. It's a free download for the iOS and Android. It's a social media golf app with a variety of video and picture editing toys to add flavor to your golf footprint.

Currently, Gotta Golf requires a subscription to use the tracing feature (and others). I put a review on the app store complaining about this fact that and the developers reached out to me. Kudos to them for positive customer service. I engaged in a discussion with them to offer my 2 cents for improving the app and they rewarded my time with a one month trial. I felt it my duty as a spy to write a review so here goes:

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of gotta golf and was not asked to do this review by members of their staff.

IMG_4408.PNG

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible. In keeping with the usual golf spy format, I'll be rating the app in 5 areas on a 10 pt scale to get an overall score out of 50. At the end I'll give a final recommendation.

THE TECH

This piece is the most important part of the entire app. The tech behind auto shot tracing is the meat and potatoes behind the app. It's the main attraction for this app and I must say, it works superbly well. Upload your video, hit ball trace, and choose auto.

To me, it appears that the video is then sent off to the servers and is delivered back to your device once complete. I've noticed it takes a long time to do if you have poor service but comes back quickly if connected to wifi.

The only limitation for this tech is the camera you're using but I'll elaborate on that in a second.

Score: 9/10

IMG_4414.PNG

VIDEO EDITING

OK it's been a second. In my opinion, the video editing needs the most work on the app. For starters, the only way you can capture video with the in-app camera is if you're ready to do stop what you're doing, edit, and finish your video as soon as you capture. Videos recorded aren't stashed in the app anywhere so you can come back. I blew a whole range session worth of footage because I didn't realize this until I went back to work on my videos and boy did I feel chapped. As a result, I had to use the Hudl app to record my raw footage.

The Hudl app advertises it can shoot at 720p X 240 fps. I'm not sure if the iPhone can handle more than 60fps but I gave that setting a shot anyway. Even with that, I zoomed way in on the frame to follow the ball through the whole flight and it disappears once it gets about 80 yards away. That's a limitation that is not Gotta Golf's fault but a hurdle nonetheless. One part that they can control is the fact that uploading video into the app must be compressed first. So no matter what the frame rate was, it's been reduced.

Another curious missing piece is you can't trim videos within the editor so your footage better be perfectly trimmed before starting. Additionally, once you open your ball trace, you're stuck there until you finish your edit and save it to your phone. No option to cancel.

As far as the toys go, I think they've nailed it. There's a robust offering of silly things you can add to your videos to make them more social media oriented. From Trump and Hillary's faces on the ball trace to silly overlays and swing sequences, there's plenty of variety here to spice your profile up. In this category, the toys are the saving grace.

Score: 4/10

IMG_4419.JPG

SOCIAL EXPERIENCE

As far as social media sites go, this works pretty well. I'm not huge on social media but am involved to some degree. They've done a nice job creating an environment where it's only golf talk, photos, and videos.

One tricky predicament for me is the current population has a large number of scantily clad women swinging golf clubs. If I was single, that would be [emoji106]all day. As a married man, I've got to be careful what I browse. But it's really cool to see all of the other stuff people post. It's especially funny to see the shanks.

Score: 7/10

IMG_4407.PNG

EASE OF USE

The video editing has an impact on this category. Unfortunately, I just can't separate the two so all of those comments apply to a lesser degree here. One last hammer on this topic is that the videos only come to you through notifications and get lumped in with all the rest. The current format doesn't include thumbnails but rather your profile picture so it's difficult to tell which video is which.

As far as tutorials go, the app does an excellent job walking you through each piece so at least the developers have taken the time to show you how to use the features that it does have. Additionally, they've stashed a tips section for video capture that'll help amateur photographers.

Since the whole app appears to be hosted online, it doesn't work great with a poor connection. At the same token, I'd bet it's a data hog. Since the development team is small, they're limited on what they can do and I'm sure that's a shortcut that just had to happen until they've got enough cash flow to build out full in-app functionality.

Score: 6/10

IMG_4410.PNG

EVERYTHING ELSE

It's clear they've put a great deal of thought into the total package user experience. You can create and join groups, enter challenges, buy exclusive gear, and even get free excuses for bad play! This app certainly has plenty to offer and is far from a bare bones production.

Since this is an everything else topic, I'll throw in cost. Currently it's $1.99/month for the good stuff which seems like a curious decision to me. As part of my dialogue with the developer, I recommended a one time purchase app with the option of buying extra stuff and a one week free trial for the whole shebang. Whether or not they listen to me is a different story but I feel that'll go a long way towards growing their consumer base.

Score: 8/10

IMG_4409.PNG

OVERALL RECOMMENDATION

Total Score: 34/50

Overall, I've basically graded this a solid 3 stars in the app store. There's a ton of room to grow and I legitimately feel the developers will continue to improve their product and earn a 4 or possibly 5 star rating with me. As the team gets their feet under them, the creative attitude and desire to create the optimal user experience will prevail.

This app is clearly geared towards the more casual golfer but has application for those interested in refining their skills through video analysis. Compared to direct competitors, there is no competition. This app is the winner.

Q&A

Will it help you find your ball? No.

Will it make you better? It can. The most valuable feedback for me is checking out the flight height.

Is it fun? Absolutely. One of my golfing buddies was blown away when I sent him a video.

Should you buy it? It depends. If it goes to a one-time purchase, absolutely. If it stays as a subscription, that's awfully expensive over the course of a year for a seasonal app

BONUS VIDEO

My 100y range session with tracing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvwCEtGv--c&feature=youtu.be

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Dang. Just noticed I did a terrible job marking the flag in the video. It's actually directly in the center of the 2 bunkers.

So it's really a few feet or a 1/8" to the left depending on your perspective.

Edit: Fixed it because it was driving me crazy.

• Like 1

Excellent review!

• Like 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK  3 hybrid 18 Degree
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 hybrid 
Callaway  Max 5 - PW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 50 & 54 Degree Wedge
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey
White Hot OG 7 S

As with any swing videos, it definitely should be steady. I used a little tripod for my phone and hooked it to my golf bag to great success.

The best part is the auto trace. It gets the path almost perfectly but you can still tweak it manually if need be. Based on the general flight of the ball it gives a good approximation of where it lands.

When I get a chance (if it cools down for a day) I'll try a video with 1080/60 to see if it catches the landing spot better.

• Like 2

Here I am with more information as promised. Now a lot of people would say "Stud, give it a rest. This thread is dead."

BUT I SAY NAY! The people must know more!

This piece is to put the app to the true test. To see if it can be useful in tuning your ball flight. I got a 915D3 in the spring and still haven't tuned it. I'll be using the following fitting guide:

IMG_4475.JPG

THE TEST

5 swings each setting with impact tape. I'll be treating this app as a poor man's launch monitor and the true test will be how accurate it can follow the flight and how useful the data will be. In the videos, I just took the raw 5 swings and didn't cherry pick the best ones to make myself look good. For those watching, the boat is the target for all swings.

WARNING: Shanks included

A1

This is the base setting for the driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqgR6ZS4Ep8&feature=youtu.be

And the tape:

IMG_4523.JPG

B1

This is the setting I've been gaming this summer because I like to play a fade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beKrjh2NLwM&feature=youtu.be

And the tape:

IMG_4521.JPG

C1

Trying this based on this article.

Note: The first swing was the best out of the whole session. That's the first time I've ever hit the boat. You can hear the impact if you turn your volume up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE0Yzq8kPCY&feature=youtu.be

And the tape:

IMG_4522.JPG

D4

And now for something completely different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqwmIBIDzBs&feature=youtu.be

And the tape:

IMG_4524.JPG

Closing thoughts:

Unfortunately, I don't think the auto lines came out very accurate. I had to adjust the start time for nearly all of them and the line would come out looking crazy if it went off screen. I also think some of the "fades" registered as "draws" and I distinctly remember hitting more balls into the woods to the left. These line traces are almost useless.

Again, the limiting factor is the camera you're using but the compression makes your raw footage even worse. The results make it look like I was peppering the boat when I know that's not really the case. Even the one I hit the boat showed the ball landing off to the left. I think I'll try to find a range with a better backdrop so we'll have a better chance at getting a true ball flight trace.

But all is not lost. I got more value from the impact tape than the ball flight tracing in this session. The open face fits my eye and, hased off the impact tape results, I think I should try a more upright lie in the A2, B2, C2, D2 area. Will give those a shot next time out.

For me, this ball tracing feature is falling more towards a novelty and may not be as useful as I had originally hoped. The developers read my initial review and already confirmed they plan on incorporating some of those changes in the next update so I've got my fingers crossed the product will come out in a positive way.

🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Extra Q&A from the first piece:

-What footage can iPhone record?

Confirmed the iPhone can truly handle 720/240 and 1080/60. I filmed these at 1080/60 in hopes of getting better fidelity to the tracing but the compression still makes all that quality go away. I'm going to shift more of that blame to the app and away from the camera.

Sent by carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

[emoji102][emoji102]

Hate to do it.

✊️

Stud. First off thanks for taking the time to do thst. It was a very detailed and informative review.

A couple questions. I think you kinda adresed them, but I'll ask anyway to be sure.

1) do you feel the overall final results of the tracers accurately depicted the true flight. By what percentage would you say.

2) did you do any editing of the actual tracers afterward or were they all as captured.

3) ball flight. It seemed in the A,B,C 1 settings you had a mid or boring trajectory. Is that your normal flight?

The D4 setting seemed to me to be a preferred flight (I like a high flight) was it too high for you. What would you say were your carry distances on the lower settings vs the d4

Thanks again for doing this. Keep us updated on the app if you continue to use it.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Nice job, great writeup.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Stud. First off thanks for taking the time to do thst. It was a very detailed and informative review.

A couple questions. I think you kinda adresed them, but I'll ask anyway to be sure.....

......Thanks again for doing this. Keep us updated on the app if you continue to use it.

Sure! I would be happy to answer your questions. Thanks for asking:

Q1) do you feel the overall final results of the tracers accurately depicted the true flight. By what percentage would you say

A) 60% I say this because it pretty darn close on the ascent but the ball actually disappears from the footage once it's above the trees so the software just guesses from there. Like I said in the review, sometimes it would get the totally wrong flight (draw line on fade shot) but sometimes it would be dead on. The earlier video with the 100y shots traced much better because the ball was visible throughout. With a better backdrop and better source video (would require the app to remove the compression requirement), I don't see why the needle can't move up to 100%

Q2) did you do any editing of the actual tracers afterward or were they all as captured.

A) For this set, the only editing I did was I had to change the timestamp where the flight began. I wanted to just leave the lines where the auto trace put them except for the one I hit the boat since there was an audible thud. Here's an example of a totally unedited video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUbIK2cRxPA&feature=youtu.be

Q3) ball flight. It seemed in the A,B,C 1 settings you had a mid or boring trajectory. Is that your normal flight?

A) Yes. It's usually windy when I play so I try to hit through the wind at all times. Even in this session the wind was directly in my face. I chose this driver/shaft combo because I like to hit it low with a lot of roll.

Q4) The D4 setting seemed to me to be a preferred flight (I like a high flight) was it too high for you.

A) D4 just didn't set up well for my eye and I felt uncomfortable for those swings. The impact tape shows that they were all awkward hits. One factor there could be fatigue as 20 straight driver swings in the heat got me tired. Overall, I still don't have a setting that I'm in love with so I'll have to keep trying. At this point, C1 felt the best.

Q5) What would you say were your carry distances on the lower settings vs the d4

A) There's a 250 marker, then the boat is a little past that. Tough to say for sure how far that distance is because I've never walked out there. Also, this is my rinky dink range and the yardage markers go down the range diagonally so the 250 isn't a true distance either. My best guess is that we're looking at 250-260 carry on most (into the wind) shots with ABC1. D4 was much shorter because it was ballooning and slicing and hooking OH MY.

To take your suggestion to heart, I do believe I should try to find a setting I'm comfortable with that promotes a higher flight for days the wind is calmer. I guess the ideal situation here is to find a high wind setting and a low wind setting. I'm just not sure I've found either yet.

• Like 1

Sure! I would be happy to answer your questions. Thanks for asking:

Q1) do you feel the overall final results of the tracers accurately depicted the true flight. By what percentage would you say

A) 60% I say this because it pretty darn close on the ascent but the ball actually disappears from the footage once it's above the trees so the software just guesses from there. Like I said in the review, sometimes it would get the totally wrong flight (draw line on fade shot) but sometimes it would be dead on. The earlier video with the 100y shots traced much better because the ball was visible throughout. With a better backdrop and better source video (would require the app to remove the compression requirement), I don't see why the needle can't move up to 100%

Q2) did you do any editing of the actual tracers afterward or were they all as captured.

A) For this set, the only editing I did was I had to change the timestamp where the flight began. I wanted to just leave the lines where the auto trace put them except for the one I hit the boat since there was an audible thud. Here's an example of a totally unedited video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUbIK2cRxPA&feature=youtu.be

Q3) ball flight. It seemed in the A,B,C 1 settings you had a mid or boring trajectory. Is that your normal flight?

A) Yes. It's usually windy when I play so I try to hit through the wind at all times. Even in this session the wind was directly in my face. I chose this driver/shaft combo because I like to hit it low with a lot of roll.

Q4) The D4 setting seemed to me to be a preferred flight (I like a high flight) was it too high for you.

A) D4 just didn't set up well for my eye and I felt uncomfortable for those swings. The impact tape shows that they were all awkward hits. One factor there could be fatigue as 20 straight driver swings in the heat got me tired. Overall, I still don't have a setting that I'm in love with so I'll have to keep trying. At this point, C1 felt the best.

Q5) What would you say were your carry distances on the lower settings vs the d4

A) There's a 250 marker, then the boat is a little past that. Tough to say for sure how far that distance is because I've never walked out there. Also, this is my rinky dink range and the yardage markers go down the range diagonally so the 250 isn't a true distance either. My best guess is that we're looking at 250-260 carry on most (into the wind) shots with ABC1. D4 was much shorter because it was ballooning and slicing and hooking OH MY.

To take your suggestion to heart, I do believe I should try to find a setting I'm comfortable with that promotes a higher flight for days the wind is calmer. I guess the ideal situation here is to find a high wind setting and a low wind setting. I'm just not sure I've found either yet.

Good stuff. Thanks for the time in the review and answering. Might be an app to keep an eye on down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

No problem. I'd say it's not quite ready for my full endorsement but that may change once they push out the next update.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI. They released an update today which Incorporated some of my comments. Will try to get some new traces soon.

A huge update to Shot Tracer was also launched today, I would love to compare the two now. I liked Gotta Golf when I did the trial.

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

A huge update to Shot Tracer was also launched today, I would love to compare the two now. I liked Gotta Golf when I did the trial.

What all did shot tracer add?

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

What all did shot tracer add?

IMG_9662.JPG

IMG_9663.JPG

Hmm. The competition is heating up

• 1 month later...

OK so they've now released a few updates to the app. The developer I had been talking to emailed me directly to let me know he used many of my comments in the improvements. For one, it feels good that I got to have a part in their development process but most importantly, it makes me happy that the company is willing to take constructive feedback and act on it. I went ahead and got a month subscription to see how I like the changes. Here's a summary of the changes I recommended:

Change requested////result

Speed of auto trace: faster but still requires strong internet connection

In-app capture store for later: added

Video library: added

Video compression losing fidelity: still an issue

In-app trimming: added

Option to cancel trace edit: added

Notification thumbnails: still not there but the library DOES have the thumbnails so I can excuse this one. You no longer have to manage videos from the notifications so that section is there for its true intended purpose now.

Data usage: I haven't looked into it to either way. Just to be safe, I recommend using this app on wifi when you're creating the videos.

Pricing structure: still unchanged. For me this seems unfortunate because this can become a very expensive app over time compared to direct competitors. It's just not the type of app you use often enough to justify paying a subscription. The only practical application I see (besides the fun factor) is dialing in your ball flight and that's not a regular requirement.

Other comments: They've added some fun new stuff like new line traces, stickers, beefed up tutorials, and an easier user interface.

The update notes advertise better auto trace accuracy. I've only gotten to do one video thus far and the tracing was a little wonky. I did a trace of a punch shot (see below) and I guess the line characteristics just aren't built for unique shots like that. I had to do a LOT of manipulation to get the line as close as it is and it's still not right. I jammed my wrist in my match the other day so I'll do a few full swings to see how the tracing works on more traditional shots when my wrist heals up.

Overall, they've come a long way and really have a good product on their hands. I'm prepared to move my rating up to [emoji93][emoji93][emoji93][emoji93][emoji277] stars. I recommend you give it a shot.

Turn your volume up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9SO9Ldatlg&feature=youtu.be

That's awesome that they're listing to their customers and making great changes, based on the feedback. This was an app I downloaded for the trial, just to see what it was like, and I actually prefer it to the Shot Tracer app. I do believe that if they changed the pricing to a one time payment, they would easily beat out the Shot Tracer app. I would've bought this one instead for sure.

• Like 2