Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Tight Fairway Lies

I'm looking for some advice on hitting off of tight fairway lies.  I played yesterday at a course where the fairways resemble some of the greens I've played on.  Anything longer than a 7 iron was coming out thin and long irons/hybrids were close to being topped. 

Sean K.

Driver: :callaway-small: Great Big Bertha, 10.5o, -1"
Wood: :srixon-small: Z-F85, 3W, 15o
Hybrids: :titelist-small: 818 H1, 19o
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Hot Metal 4-GW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2.0 55o, 60o
Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Tour Impact No. 3
Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star

2017 Vice Pro Forum Review
2019 Tommy Armour Tour Impact No.3 Forum Review

It's all a mental thing at that point when dealing with full swings. The only real way to work through it is play more on courses with tight fairways. An easy bandaid is to put the ball back in the stance a smidge and try to feel like you're hitting knock down shots. When it comes to chipping off tight lies, I tend to use lower lofted clubs like a 9 or 8 iron to avoid the leading edge from digging in. One of my favorite plays if there is enough green or fairway to work with is a bump and run with a hybrid or fairway wood. Just use it like a putter with a much hotter face.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

I'm looking for some advice on hitting off of tight fairway lies. I played yesterday at a course where the fairways resemble some of the greens I've played on. Anything longer than a 7 iron was coming out thin and long irons/hybrids were close to being topped.

Don't play in a PGA tour event! :)

Seriously just play the ball back in your stance a tad and start with a bit more weight on your left side at set up. You'll be fine. Actually hybrids are easy to hit off of a tight lie.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don't play the ball any further back than normal.  When I do, it's a lower shot and I already hit shots that are too low for the most part.  My key is remembering that on mid-irons, hybrids and FW I still have to take a slight divot like I'm hitting a short iron.  I also have better luck opening the club a little and setting up to play a slight fade.  My tendency is to sweep the ball too much.  Hit down to make the ball go up.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived