TESTERS WANTED! ×

Not sure which direction to go wth irons

rpete33

Hello,

Been a long time lurker, played golf seriously for 2 years now and basically picked up my entire bag off rack when Nike went out of business. I play Nike pro combos in my irons and love them but the just don't fit right (lie angel and shaft). I am looking to get fit in the fall/winter for some new irons, looking for recommendations. I really am into a forged head and less offset if possible. For two years into the game I think my iron game is pretty good! ( I struggle with my wedges) Let me here what you guys think? I'm looking at the ping i200, mizuno 900 forged, srixon 565/765, and possibly the cobra forged tour, but am open to anything!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Here's only two links about club fitting to get your started. I just searched the forum and found these. We also have a few professional fitters active in the forum. Asking about fitting around here will get a ton of comments. Good luck.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/20486-getting-fit/?hl=fitting&do=findComment&comment=315127

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/20332-fittings-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/?hl=%2Bclub+%2Bfitting&do=findComment&comment=309513

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Here's only two links about club fitting to get your started. I just searched the forum and found these. We also have a few professional fitters active in the forum. Asking about fitting around here will get a ton of comments. Good luck.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/20486-getting-fit/?hl=fitting&do=findComment&comment=315127

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/20332-fittings-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/?hl=%2Bclub+%2Bfitting&do=findComment&comment=309513

Thank you! I have a great fitter picked up already, I just got married, and my uncle in law is a golf pro in the Midwest and has a team of certified fitters:) I'm just curious on which direction to go wth my irons, do I still to something similar to what I have? Do I switch to full on blades? ( love true feedback from my irons) I wanna stay from game improvement, just want something similar to what I have now but fitted for it:)

Thank you! I have a great fitter picked up already, I just got married, and my uncle in law is a golf pro in the Midwest and has a team of certified fitters:) I'm just curious on which direction to go wth my irons, do I still to something similar to what I have? Do I switch to full on blades? ( love true feedback from my irons) I wanna stay from game improvement, just want something similar to what I have now but fitted for it:)

Sounds like your path is set. Uncle is a Pro and has a Team of Fitters. That already beats most people around here. I'd just stay the course and let your fitter help determine your ultimate selection.

Makes sense to me.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Sounds like your path is set. Uncle is a Pro and has a Team of Fitters. That already beats most people around here. I'd just stay the course and let your fitter help determine your ultimate selection.

Makes sense to me.

Haha fair enough

Best advice I can give is have NO preconceived notions. Your clubs will fun you. May be a set you never envisioned.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Should I play all the same brand equipment? Or mixed bag?

Again, some people play a mixed bag, some people play all one brand.  There is no right answer - play whatever you want and what makes the game most enjoyable for you!

Got to the fitting with an open mind,  try different makes, models, and brands and see what works best for you.  Might even be something game improvement. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Solid advice from all of the members on here of course being spoiled from being on here so long I would not expect anything less from our folks on here

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Should I play all the same brand equipment? Or mixed bag?

Be open to all club brands and shafts, find what you like, and gives you the performance you want. Also don't try to go for max distance they'll probably have flighted balls, you can see if you can use your preferred brand.

Also look at the Srixon z965s too. The blade length is slightly larger than some other blades like the MP5's, but feels great, and would be easy to do a combo with the other srixon irons.

Most important part is too have fun with the process!

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Welcome - a lot depends on your goals in golf. If your goal is to shoot the lowest score possible you would be wisest to go with something that had a bit of game improvement to it in the middle and longer irons. (Assuming you are a good player already). A combo between the Srixon's or Mizuno 900 forged, something like that.

I've learned through time that shooting the lowest score possible is rarely the reason why people play golf however. We play for fun. So by all means pick the irons that you will have the most fun with.

Good luck and let us know what you pick and why.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I got fitted for the first time after 30 years of golf 3 years ago. I told the pro I didn't care and didn't want to know what it said on the sole until we were finished, was only interested in the result. We worked between 6 brands and 2 really shone through. Cobra and Titleist. With no discernible difference between the 2 I took the cheaper option. End result I went from a 11-13 handicap for 20 years to 8-9 consistently. My recommendation is don't sell yourself short by thinking you want a specific brand/style. Treat it like beer.....try them all, there will be a surprise lurking out there for you.

Be open to all club brands and shafts, find what you like, and gives you the performance you want. Also don't try to go for max distance they'll probably have flighted balls, you can see if you can use your preferred brand.

Also look at the Srixon z965s too. The blade length is slightly larger than some other blades like the MP5's, but feels great, and would be easy to do a combo with the other srixon irons.

Most important part is too have fun with the process!

I think a srixon 565 3/4 756 5-PW would be a great transition from my vapor combos!

• 3 weeks later...

I would carefully analyze how often I actually use them and consider investing my money elsewhere. But you may like the idea of beautiful new sticks in your bag. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I would carefully analyze how often I actually use them and consider investing my money elsewhere. But you may like the idea of beautiful new sticks in your bag. :)

Looks like the new MGS assessment of irons. After reading the I love irons thread I counted my iron shots (3-pw since that is generally what people buy) and I hit them a grand total of 9 times over the 18 holes. It does make you consider how much you are paying for that aspect of your set.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Play whatever the fits....go in without brand loyalty or a specific style of clubs and you'll come out much better.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the new MGS assessment of irons. After reading the I love irons thread I counted my iron shots (3-pw since that is generally what people buy) and I hit them a grand total of 9 times over the 18 holes. It does make you consider how much you are paying for that aspect of your set.

And we thought we were teeing OEMs off before - imagine if we were to start a trend like this. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

And we thought we were teeing OEMs off before - imagine if we were to start a trend like this. :)

I really is an interesting evaluation.  I think the number will vary on length of the course you play and it you are playing a lot of wedges into greens you may be playing too short of a course.  I have in the past evaluated a course by the number of different clubs that I use throughout the round.  

I also might wait til next spring and see if any new irons come out after the PGA merchandise show

Most of the OEM are releasing clubs this fall. See Titleist, Mizuno, Ping, TMAG. So waiting my not be needed.

Not saying there won't be a PGA show release or two as well. But plenty of new ones out there next month.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 1 month later...

Most of the OEM are releasing clubs this fall. See Titleist, Mizuno, Ping, TMAG. So waiting my not be needed.

Not saying there won't be a PGA show release or two as well. But plenty of new ones out there next month.

My plan to is get fitted in May when I'm down in Orlando, going to get fitted by pga superstore can experience. So no rush at this point

I think the fitter is best suited to nailing down the best shaft for you. IMHO, the iron head is more or less up to you. It has to look good to your eyes first and for most so you feel comfortable hitting it.

The fitter might help in recommending the level of "game improvement-ness" that would suit your game, but then you should try to be vocal about what looks good.

Plus, I am skeptical that there would be any performance difference across OEM irons in a given category (blade and players cavity as you indicated). There may very well be some real feel differences, but steel heads without any high-COR tech like you are thinking about just won't show dramatic distance differences outside of normal statistical variation.

Listen to your heart

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I think the fitter is best suited to nailing down the best shaft for you. IMHO, the iron head is more or less up to you. It has to look good to your eyes first and for most so you feel comfortable hitting it.

The fitter might help in recommending the level of "game improvement-ness" that would suit your game, but then you should try to be vocal about what looks good.

Plus, I am skeptical that there would be any performance difference across OEM irons in a given category (blade and players cavity as you indicated). There may very well be some real feel differences, but steel heads without any high-COR tech like you are thinking about just won't show dramatic distance differences outside of normal statistical variation.

Listen to your heart

Thanks!

Archived