TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Short Game

Shankster

I was a bit young to watch "The Greats" on TV, but I remember catching some late Jack, Seve, Arnie and all of the rest of the men of golf. But I have been reading a lot about them, their playing style, swings... well just everything. The game seemed simpler back then. It was Driver, Spoon, 1-PW, SW, and a putter.

I have been working on my 100 yard and in game for several years. Unknown to me until recently that I have been practicing the "Shanks" method but it is almost 100% on with Seve's instructional video here.

https://youtu.be/Om5uhnjksVI

This man was a genius, and he did it all with old school equipment, and a SW. No fancy wedges, in the video you'll see him pulling off shots with 3 irons around the green, 9 irons from the bunker... you'll also hear him say that his SW is his 100 yard club but it might be a PW for you.

I tweaked my putter grip to his, opened my putting stance a little and I'm seeing vast improvements! Anyone interested in getting back to the basics, and playing golf the easy way check out that video.

You're welcome.

- Alan

One of the greats at the short game. I skimmed through the video last night do a lot of what he said, just don't do it very well or consistently

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I don't believe the game was simpler and most certainly the swings weren't. In fact the best swings from the 60's and 70's were brutal on the back.

However Seve had an amazing short game. He was extremely creative. He also did nothing but practice his short game for hours when he was young.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Nice find, I will definatley give it a watch.

I remember hearing that growing up Seve had one club....a beat up old 3 iron that was handed down to him and he learned to play every single shot with that 3 iron

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I don't believe the game was simpler and most certainly the swings weren't. In fact the best swings from the 60's and 70's were brutal on the back.

However Seve had an amazing short game. He was extremely creative. He also did nothing but practice his short game for hours when he was young.

Meant simpler by not having 6 wedges. But I hear you. He had major back issues.

- Alan

It's interesting seeing the difference in ball position between Seve and Phil. Seve left it a little more middle and weight back where Phil is weight and ball forward.

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Good observation - the ball spun much more in Seve's day. Weight forward then may have put too much spin on the ball.

At Shankster - a rose by any other name is still a rose. As we've observed in other threads different numbers were assigned to lofts when Seve played than today. The 60 was around during his career so you still had the same basic lofts. The Ping Eye 2 SW which was huge in his day had around 58 degrees of loft.

His 9, PW, SW, LW was the rough equivalent of today's PW, GW, SW, LW. He would normally pull his 3 iron to carry an extra wedge. I remember him hitting a ridiculous 4 iron on 18 at Westchester to make eagle and win.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Watched a lot of videos of him playing. Definitely an old school swing. Hands were not really forward on full shots.

That is what my teachers prefers BTW. We were watching video of my swing the other day and I asked if my hands should be more forward. He said, "Sure, why not go for the challenge of removing your best attribute from the equation. Shall I cut off one of your legs too?" :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 4 weeks later...

Define short game. Does putting count? If so Phil is no where to be found. Also I'm never comfortable picking a guy that I didn't actually see.

So it's a toss up between Seve and Tiger for me. Both could get up and down from anywhere and do it anyway.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Define short game. Does putting count? If so Phil is no where to be found. Also I'm never comfortable picking a guy that I didn't actually see.

So it's a toss up between Seve and Tiger for me. Both could get up and down from anywhere and do it anyway.

I guess we can include putting.

- A.S.

Sent from #nothingfeelslikeamizuno dreamland...

Then I would include Hale Irwin in my group.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived