TESTERS WANTED! ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - CALLAWAY GBB EPIC DRIVER

JBones

Hey Judge, great write-up!

Question: there isn't a category where the driver scored full points, could you please elaborate what contributed to the deductions? Or did I just miss it?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Hey Judge, great write-up!

Question: there isn't a category where the driver scored full points, could you please elaborate what contributed to the deductions? Or did I just miss it?

LOP, was mainly due to the price tag, if I had to buy it out of pocket......Looks/Feel I would have liked the alignment on top to be a little more prominent, and not a fan of the headcover ( i know, it's really picky)......I probably could have given it full points on the range/course....BUT, to me, that may be something that could never happen, I can and do hit bad shots with it, of course that's the swing......It's damn close to the perfect driver, for me and my swing...maybe I should have given it full points on the range/course, but I guess to me, that means there could never be a better driver built.   Everyone has there own way of giving out the points I suppose.   

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

LOP, was mainly due to the price tag, if I had to buy it out of pocket......Looks/Feel I would have liked the alignment on top to be a little more prominent, and not a fan of the headcover ( i know, it's really picky)......I probably could have given it full points on the range/course....BUT, to me, that may be something that could never happen, I can and do hit bad shots with it, of course that's the swing......It's damn close to the perfect driver, for me and my swing...maybe I should have given it full points on the range/course, but I guess to me, that means there could never be a better driver built.   Everyone has there own way of giving out the points I suppose.   

Got it! Just curious what improvements would needed to make it "the one", from your point of view of course.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Got it! Just curious what improvements would needed to make it "the one", from your point of view of course.

I seriously doubt there is a driver that would fit me better, to be honest....haha, maybe I was too harsh on the range/course score.......Maybe I just feel nothing is perfect, but this is damn close

Great write up Judge.  I have a feeling my wife is going to be really pissed at y'all real soon.  I have to buy it before the baby gets here in February, though.  I'm not sure if I want the Epic or the SZ, though.  I need to find another place around here to have a fitting. 

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Great write up Judge.  I have a feeling my wife is going to be really pissed at y'all real soon.  I have to buy it before the baby gets here in February, though.  I'm not sure if I want the Epic or the SZ, though.  I need to find another place around here to have a fitting. 

get fit for sure

My Stage 2 is up for all to enjoy. Sorry, I wasn't able to get on the LM before it needed to be up but I will have some comparisons with the SLDR soon and add them to the post later. As always any questions are welcomed. Thanks again to MGS, the forum directors, Callaway and every for reading my review.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

My Stage 2 is up for all to enjoy. Sorry, I wasn't able to get on the LM before it needed to be up but I will have some comparisons with the SLDR soon and add them to the post later. As always any questions are welcomed. Thanks again to MGS, the forum directors, Callaway and every for reading my review.

I very much enjoyed your review. It was a great read. Also, thank you for linking it in this comment so I didn't have to hunt.

How does the ball flight fare in the wind for you compared to the SLDR? I'd be interested to see how well you can cut through wind directly in your face.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I very much enjoyed your review. It was a great read. Also, thank you for linking it in this comment so I didn't have to hunt.

How does the ball flight fare in the wind for you compared to the SLDR? I'd be interested to see how well you can cut through wind directly in your face.

Welcome! Only wind I've really dealt with was at the range on my last round. I felt that it got thru the wind as well as my sldr. I didn't notice any balls get taken away in the wind any more than before. But I tend to be a low spin player overall so that may be why

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Great reviews Judge and Theo.......although I am not interested in the Epic, I am interested in the testing and how you present your findings. Since obtaining the Wilson Triton, I found that it is the best driver for adjustability and distance for me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Alright gentleman Stage 2 is up!

Great review. I got a good feel for your likes and dislikes. I think I would've considered stealing some points from the subjective criteria and placed them elsewhere considering how you felt about grading on looks.

I've got 2 questions for ya.

Do you track fairways hit normally? If so, are you seeing a % increase with the Epic?

Is the distance loss with the Epic equating to longer clubs into greens? Are we talking like half a club or 1-2 clubs different?

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Great review. I got a good feel for your likes and dislikes. I think I would've considered stealing some points from the subjective criteria and placed them elsewhere considering how you felt about grading on looks.

I've got 2 questions for ya.

Do you track fairways hit normally? If so, are you seeing a % increase with the Epic?

Is the distance loss with the Epic equating to longer clubs into greens? Are we talking like half a club or 1-2 clubs different?

I can totally understand that- but I used the scoring metrics given. I would say that they do have more impact for the average consumer, that feeling i describe about it being somewhat dead on miss hits, would've ruled it out in a hitting bay.

The app I use tracks that automatically, I saw a bump in fairways hit from 46% to 48%, but it doesn't take into account what club I'm teeing off with.

Well overall it was giving a shorter club into greens than the M2 particularly because of its performances on miss hits. Best drive with the epic was 317yds where as the M2 was 336yds, but I don't have the consistency to see those numbers more than maybe once a round.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

• 2 weeks later...

Any of y'all have a spare bedroom?  Thanks to you, I now have a Epic on the way.  When the wife finds out, I may need to hit one of you up for a place to stay. 

In my bag:

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job Judge! I'm glad to see the hype wasn't for nothing. How's that 5 wood treating you?

I love it, actually bought it before I got the driver.   Was thinking about adding a FW to my bag (only had hybrids)...hit about 5-6 of the main players at a demo days, and it was no contest whatsoever.   It has translated to the course nicely, the bad ones off it are 100% my fault, usually topping it a touch...but the good strikes are remarkable, 220-230 straight as an arrow.  

having that combo in my bag has been a bit of a game changer for me

stage 3 is up

I really enjoyed your reviews on this Judge.  Very well done with lots of video and stats to go with the on course observations

I am almost exactly the same swing speed as you, ok you may have me by 1-2 MPH but that MUST be the EPIC...Right...ha      To see the numbers you are getting, you must be much more consistent than you're giving yourself credit for.  I'd say you're maxing out a 90 MPH swing pretty well!!

I have not really looked at this driver this year, for no particular reason other than I had been happy with my current two.   But sounds like it definitely should get a look, if more yards are of any interest...ha

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I really enjoyed your reviews on this Judge.  Very well done with lots of video and stats to go with the on course observations

I am almost exactly the same swing speed as you, ok you may have me by 1-2 MPH but that MUST be the EPIC...Right...ha      To see the numbers you are getting, you must be much more consistent than you're giving yourself credit for.  I'd say you're maxing out a 90 MPH swing pretty well!!

I have not really looked at this driver this year, for no particular reason other than I had been happy with my current two.   But sounds like it definitely should get a look, if more yards are of any interest...ha

When I hit the sweet spot....it GOES!!!   The SS is from the simulator I was on, couldn't speak to how accurate it is, just recorded what it said.   I am not a big hard swinger, I do 'go after' one occasionally.......I'm tall, 6'3", certainly gives me an advantage on length, I can get more SS with less effort due to width (as I understand it)

When I hit the sweet spot....it GOES!!!   The SS is from the simulator I was on, couldn't speak to how accurate it is, just recorded what it said.   I am not a big hard swinger, I do 'go after' one occasionally.......I'm tall, 6'3", certainly gives me an advantage on length, I can get more SS with less effort due to width (as I understand it)

You're swing looked pretty solid to my untrained eye.   Like you I'm 6'5" so I have some help with the width as well.   Although I've lost a lot of flexibility over the years and now I'm more of a 3/4 swing than making it to parallel, and down from about 101 to 103 to 87 to 88.   

I think you're numbers from the simulator seem pretty spot on.  What did you attribute the 280 something drive to, did you get a ton of roll out or downwind or both?   When you hit it, did it "feel like" man that's gotta be the longest ball I've ever hit.  

You're swing looked pretty solid to my untrained eye. Like you I'm 6'5" so I have some help with the width as well. Although I've lost a lot of flexibility over the years and now I'm more of a 3/4 swing than making it to parallel, and down from about 101 to 103 to 87 to 88.

I think you're numbers from the simulator seem pretty spot on. What did you attribute the 280 something drive to, did you get a ton of roll out or downwind or both? When you hit it, did it "feel like" man that's gotta be the longest ball I've ever hit.

i would say more carry, actually....i'm getting the ball up more, have it +1* because i've had a habit of hitting line drives...and yes, the 2nd i hit one like that i know it, you can feel it 'jump'....i have a ton of confidence on the tee now

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

i would say more carry, actually....i'm getting the ball up more, have it +1* because i've had a habit of hitting line drives...and yes, the 2nd i hit one like that i know it, you can feel it 'jump'....i have a ton of confidence on the tee now

that particular drive was high, and just seemed to be in the air for an eternity

that particular drive was high, and just seemed to be in the air for an eternity

I love drives like that, and when i hit them I get down there and it's still only like 218....and I'm WTF?   HA

I think  really need to go for another driver fitting.  My 917D was fit for me 1 year ago, but my Srixon Z565 I ordered just from my "normal" specs. 

I love drives like that, and when i hit them I get down there and it's still only like 218....and I'm WTF? HA

I think really need to go for another driver fitting. My 917D was fit for me 1 year ago, but my Srixon Z565 I ordered just from my "normal" specs.

give the Epic a demo...might be the one for you too

I got out and played yesterday. The epic and I got a long pretty well on the back 9. Hit a few that reminded me of my SLDR. As of right now, it will be going into the offseason with the number 1 spot. I'm planning on taking it to a fitter and seeing what other shaft choices might be better more after as well.

It's great reading those good reviews Judge.  Hopefully mine will treat me the same way when it gets here.  I've been playing Callaway drivers for years, so hopefully this will be a slight improvement on the one I have now. 

In my bag:

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

It's great reading those good reviews Judge.  Hopefully mine will treat me the same way when it gets here.  I've been playing Callaway drivers for years, so hopefully this will be a slight improvement on the one I have now. 

It definitely showed an advantage of the 2014 Bertha.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got word that my driver should be in tomorrow.  Unfortunately, I won't get to play with it until Saturday.  I may have to try to sneak down to the course a little early to get my hands on it.

In my bag:

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX