Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - CALLAWAY GBB EPIC DRIVER

JBones

Thanks for the thoroughly detailed reviews!

The Epic is a beast of a driver. Being a longtime Taylormade stalwart, I gave this a try next to the new M2 on a launch monitor. Epic performed consistently better for both length and dispersion. I am happy to say it is in the bag and hitting bombs.

In the bag:

Driver:  Callaway Epic 9.0* w/ Project X HZRDUS T800

3 Wood:  Adams Speedline Super S 15* w/ Matrix Radix S VI

3 Hybrid:  Adams Speedline Super LS 19* w/ Mitsubishi Kuro Kage

4 Hybrid:  Taylormade Rescue Mid 22*

Irons 5-GW:  Taylormade RSi 2 w/ KBS Tour 105

Wedges:  Callaway Mack Daddy MD3 - 54* S Grind, 58* W Grind

Putter:  Evnroll ER3 WingBlade 33"

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

So I finally got this in and got to play with it some this weekend.  Saturday morning.  First drive of the round was on a 375 yard uphill par 4.  After the tee shot, only had about 75 yards to the green and I was dead center in the middle.  Had a few missed shots throughout that round, but took it to the range as soon as the round was over with and did a little more fine tuning.  I hit about 10-12 in a row on the range once I got the settings right that all carried about 275-280 and all landed no more than 15 yards right or left from where I was aiming.  I can definitely work with that.  I went back out yesterday to play with it some more, and it didn't let me down.  Only missed one fairway (and that was just by a couple of yards) and had less club than I normally do going into the greens. On one par 5 that I normally have driver/6 or 5 iron into the green, I had a driver/8 iron in yesterday.  I'm definitely glad I made that purchase.  Hopefully I can win enough from my group over the next few weeks to get my money back from it. 

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I was playing in an indoor league over the winter and I noticed that the Rouge was lower spinning than my Epic Sub zero gamer. Is that due to my inconsistent strike or is the Rouge really lower spinning?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero

Fairway: 3 wood Callaway Epic Sub Zero

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 3- 5

Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 6- PW

Wedges: Mizuno S5 50, Callaway PM Grind 56, 60

Putter: Odyssey O works 1w

I was playing in an indoor league over the winter and I noticed that the Rouge was lower spinning than my Epic Sub zero gamer. Is that due to my inconsistent strike or is the Rouge really lower spinning?

Had to be a strike thing because the standard rogue is not going to spin less than the epic sub zero with similar strike and delivery

I just did a mini fitting this past Friday wondering the same thing and I found the Rogue to be about 3-400 RPMs less than the Epic (avg 2400 vs 2700) and I the guy at the shop said that's been the story. The G400 LST was still the winner for me though at around 2100 that same night.

What's in my bag:

Driver:   :cobra-small:  Fly Z, 10.5* set to 9.5* D, Kuro Kage TiNi 65, x-stiff, 45'' long

Hybrids: :srixon-small: z45, 16* and 19*, Kuro Kage Black Hybrid, stiff

Irons:   :titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW, NS Pro 950 GH, stiff, +0.5'' long 

Wedges:   :callaway-small: Mack Daddy PM Grind, 58*, black, Skratch Golf 53* wedge, both Dynamic Gold, wedge flex 

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Anser, black, pistol grip, 35"

All clubs RH.

• 1 year later...

Completely random review here, but I did a driver fitting in March of this year at Club Champion and my Epic SZ, which I purchased in 2/17, was on average 3-4 yards less than everything else. I was fitted for my driver when I got it.

Kind of amazing all things considered. 3-4 yards is not worth $500+ for a new driver plus fitting.