OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - CALLAWAY GBB EPIC DRIVER

Our Sponsors

Hey Judge, great write-up!

Question: there isn't a category where the driver scored full points, could you please elaborate what contributed to the deductions? Or did I just miss it?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mr_Theoo's GBB Epic Stage 1       Handicap/average score? I took up the game about 5 years ago when a friend of mine was trying to learn because his boss suggested it would be good for business.

Hello All!  You all know me as JudgeSmails, my real name is Scott.   I am a 41 year old, certified golf nut.  Not a day goes by that golf, in some form, is not on my mind.    I love to play, watch, ta

Callaway GBB Epic Driver – Official MGS Forum Review by JudgeSmails Player Biography I covered most of my BIO in stage 1, but just as a refresher: I am a 42 year old, certified golf nut.  Not

Posted Images

Hey Judge, great write-up!

Question: there isn't a category where the driver scored full points, could you please elaborate what contributed to the deductions? Or did I just miss it?

LOP, was mainly due to the price tag, if I had to buy it out of pocket......Looks/Feel I would have liked the alignment on top to be a little more prominent, and not a fan of the headcover ( i know, it's really picky)......I probably could have given it full points on the range/course....BUT, to me, that may be something that could never happen, I can and do hit bad shots with it, of course that's the swing......It's damn close to the perfect driver, for me and my swing...maybe I should have given it full points on the range/course, but I guess to me, that means there could never be a better driver built.   Everyone has there own way of giving out the points I suppose.   

• Like 1

Driver:   :honma: TR20 10.5*

Utility Iron: :cleveland-small: UHX 18*

Hybrid:   :callaway-small: Epic 4h 23* 

Irons:    :mizuno-small: JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER 2.2

Ball:   :bridgestone-small: Tour BXS

LOP, was mainly due to the price tag, if I had to buy it out of pocket......Looks/Feel I would have liked the alignment on top to be a little more prominent, and not a fan of the headcover ( i know, it's really picky)......I probably could have given it full points on the range/course....BUT, to me, that may be something that could never happen, I can and do hit bad shots with it, of course that's the swing......It's damn close to the perfect driver, for me and my swing...maybe I should have given it full points on the range/course, but I guess to me, that means there could never be a better driver built.   Everyone has there own way of giving out the points I suppose.   

Got it! Just curious what improvements would needed to make it "the one", from your point of view of course.

• Like 1

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Got it! Just curious what improvements would needed to make it "the one", from your point of view of course.

I seriously doubt there is a driver that would fit me better, to be honest....haha, maybe I was too harsh on the range/course score.......Maybe I just feel nothing is perfect, but this is damn close

• Like 1

Great write up Judge.  I have a feeling my wife is going to be really pissed at y'all real soon.  I have to buy it before the baby gets here in February, though.  I'm not sure if I want the Epic or the SZ, though.  I need to find another place around here to have a fitting. 

• Like 1

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Great write up Judge.  I have a feeling my wife is going to be really pissed at y'all real soon.  I have to buy it before the baby gets here in February, though.  I'm not sure if I want the Epic or the SZ, though.  I need to find another place around here to have a fitting. 

get fit for sure

My Stage 2 is up for all to enjoy. Sorry, I wasn't able to get on the LM before it needed to be up but I will have some comparisons with the SLDR soon and add them to the post later. As always any questions are welcomed. Thanks again to MGS, the forum directors, Callaway and every for reading my review.

• Like 2

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

My Stage 2 is up for all to enjoy. Sorry, I wasn't able to get on the LM before it needed to be up but I will have some comparisons with the SLDR soon and add them to the post later. As always any questions are welcomed. Thanks again to MGS, the forum directors, Callaway and every for reading my review.

I very much enjoyed your review. It was a great read. Also, thank you for linking it in this comment so I didn't have to hunt.

How does the ball flight fare in the wind for you compared to the SLDR? I'd be interested to see how well you can cut through wind directly in your face.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+
.......tracked by :Arccos:

:ping-small: G410 Plus: Tensei Orange
:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 FW: Tensei Blue

:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 Hy: Fujikura Pro
:ping-small: i500 5-GW: Modus3 105
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60: KBS Tour 90
:MLA: Tour Classic Black w/ :P2-grips-logo:

I very much enjoyed your review. It was a great read. Also, thank you for linking it in this comment so I didn't have to hunt.

How does the ball flight fare in the wind for you compared to the SLDR? I'd be interested to see how well you can cut through wind directly in your face.

Welcome! Only wind I've really dealt with was at the range on my last round. I felt that it got thru the wind as well as my sldr. I didn't notice any balls get taken away in the wind any more than before. But I tend to be a low spin player overall so that may be why

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Great reviews Judge and Theo.......although I am not interested in the Epic, I am interested in the testing and how you present your findings. Since obtaining the Wilson Triton, I found that it is the best driver for adjustability and distance for me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

Nice work thus far on the reviews, guys!

I've had my GBB Epic in the bag now for a couple months and absolutely LOVE this driver.  I do wish Callaway had just called it Great Big Bertha but, aside from the name, this thing is just a monster off the tee.

• Like 1

Alright gentleman Stage 2 is up!

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Rogue 9*, UST chrome 7F5T 

Fairway:     :taylormade-small: M5 3 wood, UST chrome 7F5T

Irons:        :titelist-small: TMB 3i &  :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     :titelist-small: Voke SM7 LTD Jet Black 

Putter:       :bettinardi-small: Queen Bee #9

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Alright gentleman Stage 2 is up!

Great review. I got a good feel for your likes and dislikes. I think I would've considered stealing some points from the subjective criteria and placed them elsewhere considering how you felt about grading on looks.

I've got 2 questions for ya.

Do you track fairways hit normally? If so, are you seeing a % increase with the Epic?

Is the distance loss with the Epic equating to longer clubs into greens? Are we talking like half a club or 1-2 clubs different?

Great review. I got a good feel for your likes and dislikes. I think I would've considered stealing some points from the subjective criteria and placed them elsewhere considering how you felt about grading on looks.

I've got 2 questions for ya.

Do you track fairways hit normally? If so, are you seeing a % increase with the Epic?

Is the distance loss with the Epic equating to longer clubs into greens? Are we talking like half a club or 1-2 clubs different?

I can totally understand that- but I used the scoring metrics given. I would say that they do have more impact for the average consumer, that feeling i describe about it being somewhat dead on miss hits, would've ruled it out in a hitting bay.

The app I use tracks that automatically, I saw a bump in fairways hit from 46% to 48%, but it doesn't take into account what club I'm teeing off with.

Well overall it was giving a shorter club into greens than the M2 particularly because of its performances on miss hits. Best drive with the epic was 317yds where as the M2 was 336yds, but I don't have the consistency to see those numbers more than maybe once a round.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Rogue 9*, UST chrome 7F5T 

Fairway:     :taylormade-small: M5 3 wood, UST chrome 7F5T

Irons:        :titelist-small: TMB 3i &  :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     :titelist-small: Voke SM7 LTD Jet Black 

Putter:       :bettinardi-small: Queen Bee #9

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

• 2 weeks later...

Any of y'all have a spare bedroom?  Thanks to you, I now have a Epic on the way.  When the wife finds out, I may need to hit one of you up for a place to stay. 

• Like 4

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

• 2 weeks later...

stage 3 is up

• Like 1

stage 3 is up

Nice job Judge! I'm glad to see the hype wasn't for nothing. How's that 5 wood treating you?

Nice job Judge! I'm glad to see the hype wasn't for nothing. How's that 5 wood treating you?

I love it, actually bought it before I got the driver.   Was thinking about adding a FW to my bag (only had hybrids)...hit about 5-6 of the main players at a demo days, and it was no contest whatsoever.   It has translated to the course nicely, the bad ones off it are 100% my fault, usually topping it a touch...but the good strikes are remarkable, 220-230 straight as an arrow.  

having that combo in my bag has been a bit of a game changer for me

• Like 1

stage 3 is up

I really enjoyed your reviews on this Judge.  Very well done with lots of video and stats to go with the on course observations

I am almost exactly the same swing speed as you, ok you may have me by 1-2 MPH but that MUST be the EPIC...Right...ha      To see the numbers you are getting, you must be much more consistent than you're giving yourself credit for.  I'd say you're maxing out a 90 MPH swing pretty well!!

I have not really looked at this driver this year, for no particular reason other than I had been happy with my current two.   But sounds like it definitely should get a look, if more yards are of any interest...ha

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12