Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Iron fitting based on strike and CG location

Hi Everyone,

I read this article today on golfwrx http://www.golfwrx.com/460144/why-your-clubs-are-most-likely-completely-wrong-for-you/

The point of the article was that a club fitter used his strike and c.g. locations to fit a player for his iron heads instead of his handicap.

This started the cogs inside my head on an odd path. I know because I always practice with impact tape, that my strikes are all between the heel and the center of the club face. The grooves on the toes of my irons are as sharp as the day they came out of the factory .

Given that players clubs and especially blades have a c.g. position that is more heel biased, would it make more sense for me to play more "player" centric clubs?

I need to add two other important details. First I hit the ball way too high with anything lower than a 115 gram shaft. So another good case for clubs with a less friendly c.g.. Last details and it's the kicker, I am a 22 handicap...

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:   :ping-small: Ping G30 10.5 adjusted to 9.5, Aldila NV 2KXV Green R 65G

FW Wood:  touredge.jpg E8, 15*, Aldila NV Green R 65G

Hybrids:   :wilson_staff_small: M3 19, 21, 23, Aldila RIP Phenom 85 shaft, R;

Irons:   :wilson_staff_small: C200, 5-PW, KBS Tour R

Wedges:    :cleveland-small: RTX, 48-54-60*, DG Wedge flex;

Putter:    :callaway-small: Odyssey M330 Versa  34"  In the stable:Versa Jailbird, Versa #6, Ping Ketsch, Anser 2, Piper C, Shea H, Yes Pippi, Cleveland Classic 5.5, Spalding TPM 7

Ball:    :wilson_staff_small: Duo

Cart: Cliqgear 3.5+

I personally prefer playing players irons. Had one set of GI irons (rocketbladez Tour) and found that it was less fun when every shot flies the same. Couldn't actually tell if I was hitting the ball good or not.

Also, like you I have a very high ball flight and players style irons have always allowed me to better control my flight. Ultimately there are drawbacks but I've always believed players irons will make you a better player, even if you don't necessarily see an improvement on score immediately. You'll learn to hit different shots.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Sounds like you need to either move back a little, choke up, or look at shortening your clubs.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Sounds like you need to either move back a little, choke up, or look at shortening your clubs.

+1

I'm of the opinion that you always want to examine your mechanics before getting new equipment to "fix" your problem. As a 22, definitely focus on your setup and swing. In the case of heel strikes, there's a good chance it's your setup.

Sent by carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I would also ask what you consider too high. Is that based on personal observation or numbers from a launch monitor. I think players believe they hit the ball high but in reality don't

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@cnosil I had a hitter tell me the flight was too high, so they fit me with heavier shafts.

Driver:   :ping-small: Ping G30 10.5 adjusted to 9.5, Aldila NV 2KXV Green R 65G

Putter:    :callaway-small: Odyssey M330 Versa  34"  In the stable:Versa Jailbird, Versa #6, Ping Ketsch, Anser 2, Piper C, Shea H, Yes Pippi, Cleveland Classic 5.5, Spalding TPM 7

@Rtracymog If I start strikingly towards the heel, I just line the ball up with the toe of the club. It's a work around, I believe the root cause is my lower body getting too far ahead of my lower.

@STUDque I completely agree, I'm not looking go buy some brand new blades thinking I'll drop my handicap by 5 strokes. I was thinking of this more academically. I tinker with my swing more than with equipment, but I have to confess to doing both.

Thanks everyone for replying with your thoughts! This is my first post.

Great first topic! You should post on the "introduce yourself" forum so we can get to know you better.

Sent by carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

First of all, welcome to MGS!

Second, I get where he's coming from, but his swing is meant for a club with the C.o.G. more away from the heel. Yours may not be. As a few have said, mechanics, set up, club length, etc. might be something to look at

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Welcome to the forums. There's a lot of great people here to help your with anything. Even it's it's just killing a few minutes on a slow work day.

About your heel strikes I believe I read somewhere that lie can affect this too. I believe it was downright goes more towards the toe and upright towards the heel. I could be mistaken tho so if anyone has info to back me up please let me know.

Club fitting as I understand it is an art not a science. What works for one may work for many or none. I would recommend trying everything you can and try to make your choice based on the results.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I personally prefer playing players irons. Had one set of GI irons (rocketbladez Tour) and found that it was less fun when every shot flies the same. Couldn't actually tell if I was hitting the ball good or not.

Also, like you I have a very high ball flight and players style irons have always allowed me to better control my flight. Ultimately there are drawbacks but I've always believed players irons will make you a better player, even if you don't necessarily see an improvement on score immediately. You'll learn to hit different shots.

... Not picking on you because the game is so personal, especially our choice of equipment. But when I was a full time golf instructor I never liked this thought. Becoming a better ball striker is the result of productive reputation. If you play with SGI's you should practice with SGI's. You should play with the irons that give you the best combination of forgiveness and ball flight. Standing on the range and hitting the green from 150 yds with the same flight time after time is telling you that you have the right irons. For a select few that means players irons. For many more that means GI irons and a large group will find that means SGI irons. (Fwiw, RBZ Tours are players irons) I can hit almost any shot with my 588TT's I can with my MP63's, maybe a 30 yd intentional fade is a 25 yd fade with the TT's but they perform better on mishits than the 63's but of course do not have that dense, pure feel of a solid carbon steel forged head.

... That said, there are other reasons people play certain irons other than shooting the lowest scores. Feel of a pure MB is amazing and some will sacrifice score for that experience. I shot a 69 last week and we were paired up with a single playing Titeist 690 MB's. He was not the best ball striker and while he hit some good shots that he called before hitting them, he hit many more poor shots and carded an 84. He asked me if I was bored hitting the same high and straight shots all round long. LOL, ignoring the fact that I hit several knockdowns into the wind, I said never and I don't pull this off everyday but when I do, I am the opposite of bored. He looked at my 588TT's with Pink Recoil Prototype 95 shafts and said he could never play GI irons with graphite shafts, even if he shot under par every round. I have a feeling if he actually did play them and actually shot 3 under par, he might feel very differently.   

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I learned the game with a set of MacGregor blades and while I've never had a very low handicap, I've always been a decent ball striker. In fact, I am much better 150 yards and out than my handicap would suggest according to Game Golf stats.

I struggle significantly in the short game area and - aside from a few funky club designs and oddities like a chipper - I am not sure a change in golf clubs would make much difference. It's my mechanics that are screwed up.

That said, I also have a very consistent swing as I've been told several times by both my PGA pro and a reputable club fitter. Very few people with a 22 handicap also have a consistent swing and that is where GI and SGI clubs are most helpful.

I like the idea of iron fitting based on CoG and impact location, but it's something I can only imagine would be limited to a small number of golfers.

All that said, I play the irons I do now because I believed they would offer increased forgiveness over the Titleist 735's I was playing before, and even more so over the 990's that came before that. I didn't go to extremes to get forgiveness, but I was willing to admit I needed a little more help and chose a set that provide that while maintaining the appearance I prefer as well.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

@TR1PTIK my game sound similar to yours. My strength is my long irons and weakness is my short game. I play Wilson C200's because I believe I need more forgiveness. I stayed away from SGI clubs because, for me they launched the ball into the stratosphere.

I had my irons checked today for lie and they were way off.  I was showing marks on the bottom toe side of the irons.  My fitter told me I should be gaming 2 up and a couple of my irons were 1 down.  :blink: Since my heads are forged it was easy peasy for him to check all of them and get them to my proper specs.    

Update:  The 2 up that I was recommended turned out to be a bust. I had to go back to 1 down on all my irons.  The problem was that only a couple of my irons were at my correct lie.  Since recently having all of them bent back to -1 I am much more confident in my irons.    

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 4 weeks later...

Technically, it's your 5th post 😉😉 welcome to the forums!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Archived