TESTERS WANTED! ×

Can a 4-Man Scramble (each guy with a 9 handicap) compete in a PGA major tournament?

Joey Bogey

So I saw this posted on barstool (see below) and it started a debate in the office.

I'm intrigued to hear what everyone in MyGolfSpy thinks.

I think an average 4-man scramble team would at least compete.

What do you guys think?

How Would An Average 4-Man Scramble Team Do In A PGA Tour Event? https://bars.tl/Vu6u/R4SkZDWG4E

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

It would be tough to win a tournament on their courses due to the length and speed but I totally believe they could make cuts and contend for top 10 at some tracks. On a regular course we shot 63 a few weeks back without mulligans or funny business.

Oh what a glorious side show that would be!

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

You could probably make the cut in a few events, it really depends on whether or not you have a bomber or 2 on the team. It doesn't matter if you have 4 whacks at an approach if your consistently hitting from over 200 yards for your 2nd shots.

With par 4's on tour being close and sometimes over 500 yards you will need somebody that can move the ball out there a pretty good distance and somebody else that's a great putter.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Totally agree with TBT.  If your 9 handy group consists of guys that hit the ball 240 max then no, I still don't think you can compete.  Now if you've got 2 guys that can hit consistently 300yds and a couple guys with great short games then maybe you play the weekend.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

It'll really depend on the course too. There's that old Jack Nicklaus anecdote:

You could let an amateur drop at the 150 marker at Augusta for every hole and they still wouldn't break 100

You could let an amateur drop at the 150 marker at Augusta for every hole and they still wouldn't break 100

I might not break 100, but damn that would be fun!

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

This same debate happened a year or two ago. Could 16 guys with with 10-15 handicaps win the Masters. I say it's a resounding NO but people have argued it wouldn't be hard. Once you remind them that there would a real score keeping, no strings, throws, or red tees, they come back to reality.

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

You could probably make the cut in a few events, it really depends on whether or not you have a bomber or 2 on the team. It doesn't matter if you have 4 whacks at an approach if your consistently hitting from over 200 yards for your 2nd shots.

With par 4's on tour being close and sometimes over 500 yards you will need somebody that can move the ball out there a pretty good distance and somebody else that's a great putter.

I would go so far to say that at least two would need to be deep off the tee. Too much pressure on one guy.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

Interesting topic. I would say possibly compete if you had a consistent long and straight driver, 2 guys that were good ball strikers and iron players and a short game and putting wizard. I think the best PGA players would still come out on top, they have all the aspects listed above that are more polished and refined than the average golfer. If you have ever been around a pro, it is amazing what they can do with a ball and how consistent they can do it. Would be fun to watch!

May I add to this question?

How many scoring records do you think a scramble full of pros could break?

Could we see a 50?

May I add to this question?

How many scoring records do you think a scramble full of pros could break?

Could we see a 50?

So take 4 pros and let them play a scramble?

They would birdie every hole and eagle 3 of 4 par fives (assuming there's 4 and not 6) so I would say a 50 is possible. The real question is could they go lower. When a pro wants to hole out, they usually scare it pretty good.

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

So take 4 pros and let them play a scramble?

They would birdie every hole and eagle 3 of 4 par fives (assuming there's 4 and not 6) so I would say a 50 is possible. The real question is could they go lower. When a pro wants to hole out, they usually scare it pretty good.

Rory, Spieth, DJ, and Phil would shoot 48

Sent by carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Wow great question.

After much thought, I believe a 4 man team of 9hcps would be top 5 at a major.

My thoughts are they wouldn't give hardly any shots back. Think you got 4 balls into every green, 4 pitches, 4 putts. And they would birdie 75% of the par 5s.

Wow great question.

After much thought, I believe a 4 man team of 9hcps would be top 5 at a major.

My thoughts are they wouldn't give hardly any shots back. Think you got 4 balls into every green, 4 pitches, 4 putts. And they would birdie 75% of the par 5s.

They would make a ton of pars but bogeys are absolutely possible with 4-9cappers on a major championship course playing over 7000 yds. I think they could shoot a few 68s though which would be enough

I think too much credit is being given to the 9 handicappers. I dont think they would make the cut. If you have 2 guys that can bomb consistently hit 300 they have no short game otherwise they wouldnt be a 9. The courses are tough the pressure is intense even with 4 shots i dont see them getting it done. One round maybe but one bad hole will take them out of the tournament. Most shots needed to compete in a major are not in a 9 handicaps bag especially with the consistency needed. That means each guy would have to average the shots of over 4 holes of perfect major championship golf.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

I say no. I think there are too many shots that would be tough for a amateur to make period let alone a 9+ handicapper... Even with 4 shots I do not think they could make the cut. 

Now if they played a Shorter course closer to 7000- 7200 Maybe.. other wise the length is too much... they would be forcing long shots into a pool table like green.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

• 6 months later...

How did this get here?

Sorry that I missed it.

Not a chance - there is not a chance that four 9's playing a scramble could compete in a major. In fact there will be holes where they can't reach the fairway on many courses used for a major.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

How did this get here?

Sorry that I missed it.

Not a chance - there is not a chance that four 9's playing a scramble could compete in a major. In fact there will be holes where they can't reach the fairway on many courses used for a major.

I agree with RevKev. I think they would be unlikely to break 80. 7500 yards with deep rough and major championship greens I think they would struggle to make par on virtually any par 3 or 4.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

This was one of my main takeaways from being at the US Open at Erin Hills. From the championship tees, I would not be able to play 18 holes even if I started with two dozen balls, simply because I wouldn't be able to get to several of the fairways, and missing short puts the ball in the two-foot-tall native fescue, where (without the advantages of tournament play) it's unlikely to be found.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Two bombers and at least two short-game guys would be the key. The top 10 golfers at the CC where I live went up to Arkansas to play a very long, tough course. 7600 from the tips, and they tipped it out... No one broke 80.

When they went back and played from 7100, a few shot under par. Give me a few of them, make sure they have two that can hit 300+, and I think they could do it. A few have been on the mini tours and played college golf, so I think it's possible.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

The last time I played a scramble it was on a fairly tough course, and two of our guys had higher handicaps. I think we shot 64. I think it would be easy for a scramble foursome to compete, maybe finish top ten.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

In fact there will be holes where they can't reach the fairway on many courses used for a major.

This would definitely be a concern. I played a few holes at Chambers Bay from the US Open teeing grounds the week before the tournament. The distance between tee box and fairway is farther than you'd expect. Now, at a typical PGA Tour stop, that probably wouldn't be as much of an issue...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Probably not that great, some cuts made, but no top 10s and way out of it at the majors (British would be their best shot). If the group only has one guy that bombs he also needs to be straight. EVERY. TIME. Does a 9 handicap have the touch? No. Going to need a helluva putter.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 w/ Diamana X 70g B4 setting

Irons: TaylorMade R7 TP 4-PW S300 shafts 1* upright

Titleist Vokey Wedges 50-54-58

Cobra Fly-z 16.5 FW

Adams Pro Boxer hybrid 18*

6.5 index, RH, Cleveland, OH

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

So I saw this posted on barstool (see below) and it started a debate in the office.

I'm intrigued to hear what everyone in MyGolfSpy thinks.

I think an average 4-man scramble team would at least compete.

What do you guys think?

How Would An Average 4-Man Scramble Team Do In A PGA Tour Event? https://bars.tl/Vu6u/R4SkZDWG4E

no way maybe maybe make cut - 4 scratch golfers in scramble all depending if u have a guy or two who can hit it 300 then yes make the cut and maybe top 20 it best

Bags

Two bombers and at least two short-game guys would be the key. The top 10 golfers at the CC where I live went up to Arkansas to play a very long, tough course. 7600 from the tips, and they tipped it out... No one broke 80.

When they went back and played from 7100, a few shot under par. Give me a few of them, make sure they have two that can hit 300+, and I think they could do it. A few have been on the mini tours and played college golf, so I think it's possible.

These are 9's - 4 9's -

The average drive for a 9 is around 235. Even if the 9 is incredibly long he's not carrying it 270 on demand as he's going to have to at times on a course set up for a major. I know we are about to have guys lining up to tell us how they regularly carry it 300 -

So let's say they do - this would be under pressure to a ribbon like fairway - there will be mess ups that lead to big numbers even with 4 of them.

I do have an interesting story.

My son and I went for a college visit a number of years back and stopped off to play a lot cal muni. There is a picture of Scott Hamilton holding the Claret Jug hanging in the snack bar.

It turns out that he grew up playing there and brought the Jug in for show and tell. While there he played an exhibition match - he playing his own ball vs. the head pro, club champion and a 4 with them playing a scramble.

He shot a smooth 58 (on a par 71) to beat them by 2 strokes.

While those guys aren't invincible they are very good and the ones playing well enough to win are playing at around a plus 9 handicap for the week.

It's sick

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm closer to 9 than I am to scratch. Four of me would be absolutely useless in a major. Maybe four of me could make a respectable showing at St. Andrews.

And my wife would tell you that four of me are at least three too many.

Edit - Spelling

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

These are 9's - 4 9's -

The average drive for a 9 is around 235. Even if the 9 is incredibly long he's not carrying it 270 on demand as he's going to have to at times on a course set up for a major. I know we are about to have guys lining up to tell us how they regularly carry it 300 -

So let's say they do - this would be under pressure to a ribbon like fairway - there will be mess ups that lead to big numbers even with 4 of them.

I do have an interesting big story.

My son and I went for a college visit a number of years back and stopped off to play a lot cal muni. There are as a picture of Scott Hamilton holding the Claret Jug hanging in the snack bar.

It turns out that he grew up playing there and brought the Jug in for show and tell. While there he played an exhibition match - he playing his own ball vs. the head pro, club champion and a 4 with them playing a scramble.

He shot a smooth 58 (on a par 71) to beat them by 2 strokes.

While those guys aren't invincible they are very good and the ones playing well enough to win are played by at around a plus 9 handicap for the week.

It's sick

Cool story Rev!

But i hope you mean Todd Hamilton. If Scott Hamilton shot a 58, he wasted many years on thise skates

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I don't think 4 9 handicappers make the cut at a major, much less contend.

At a smaller event set up for lots of crowd pleasing birdies I think they could pull off a top 25.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Cool story Rev!

But i hope you mean Todd Hamilton. If Scott Hamilton shot a 58, he wasted many years on thise skates

That's a great boo boo on my part. See the What are you drinking tonight thread.

It may have been alcohol induced....:)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived