Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

PXG Driving Iron (From the Blog)

Shankster

Not sure how I missed this earlier, but PXG is making some sweet sticks that might be high on the radar. I'll just have to sell my car first. Check out the article, and tell us what you think! I want the 1 and 2.

First Look: PXG 0311X Driving Iron

https://mygolfspy.com/2017-pxg-0311x-driving-iron/

- Alan

Agreed. I don't play a driving iron myself but I like the all black finish. This is a good effort in the looks department.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Would have to hit some kind of lottery first, $350/450 😲F😲💣😲

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I use a #2 Driving iron for tight fairways now.

Sure would like to take the PXG #2 for a test drive,

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

With the high price tag on all of their stuff. I doubt I'll ever really give them a shot. I look forward to coming across a guy at a muni bagging PXG and playing him to see if the hype is worth it.

Someday.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

With the high price tag on all of their stuff. I doubt I'll ever really give them a shot. I look forward to coming across a guy at a muni bagging PXG and playing him to see if the hype is worth it.

Someday.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

I agree.  Hard for me to think that PXG stuff is that much better than mizuno or callaway or titleist.  The driving iron looks great but does it do anything better than what a mizzy or titleist driving iron does?  Maybe I am just a skeptic and cynic but I don't see the hype.

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

As a former Marine I really appreciate Bob Parsons.  He's badass, takes no sh*t, and doesn't give one either.  You either like his stuff and use it or you don't ... he could care less.

I cannot begin to explain how cool it is that he uses the Marine MOS designations for his clubs.  That's some cool sh*t there...

The 0311 for this club is perfect because everyone can use a basic tool to get the job done.

The black finish is as it should be... stealth, silent, deadly...  only losers would buy the chrome.

my only complaint is that he wasn't able to find a way to get the eagle, globe and anchor on there somewhere.

Semper Fi

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

As a former Marine I really appreciate Bob Parsons. He's badass, takes no sh*t, and doesn't give one either. You either like his stuff and use it or you don't ... he could care less.

I cannot begin to explain how cool it is that he uses the Marine MOS designations for his clubs. That's some cool sh*t there...

The 0311 for this club is perfect because everyone can use a basic tool to get the job done.

The black finish is as it should be... stealth, silent, deadly... only losers would buy the chrome.

my only complaint is that he wasn't able to find a way to get the eagle, globe and anchor on there somewhere.

Semper Fi

He will now. Special edition.

I have a question for you, do they really pound the Guadacanel (USMC Landing) and how the USCG was so instrumental in that in your history like I've been told?

- Alan

He will now. Special edition.

I have a question for you, do they really pound the Guadacanel (USMC Landing) and how the USCG was so instrumental in that in your history like I've been told?

- Alan

haha... the US what ???

KIDDING... I'M KIDDING... there is a very thick book you have to carry around with you everywhere in boot camp called your "knowledge".  It's not something you can buy at Amazon or anywhere.  I don't even know if they have it any longer.  It has all of the basic military crap but a lot of history in there.  You go to classes during boot camp and talk about the major historical events.  Guadalcanal is one of them.  I vaguely remember something about how the Marines got there but after that it was just about kicking ass and taking names...

If God ever had a problem he'd call the Marines

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

As a former Marine I really appreciate Bob Parsons.  He's badass, takes no sh*t, and doesn't give one either.  You either like his stuff and use it or you don't ... he could care less.

I cannot begin to explain how cool it is that he uses the Marine MOS designations for his clubs.  That's some cool sh*t there...

The 0311 for this club is perfect because everyone can use a basic tool to get the job done.

The black finish is as it should be... stealth, silent, deadly...  only losers would buy the chrome.

Semper Fi

There are no former Marines; once a Marine, always a Marine.  Wasn't that in the book?   :D

I'm not a person that's going to use a driving iron.  I am hitting my driver on every hole that's not a distance for one of my other clubs.  I have used less than driver on a couple of courses when they stuck a creek or something out there within my driver range, but that's rare.

However, if I were a big hitter and needed a fairway finder, a driving iron would probably be in my bag.  I love the look of the PXG.  People complain about the cost, but are willing to pay that price for a new driver every couple of years.  If you like this club and it fits your swing, it should last a lot longer than a driver; not a lot of new technology in these clubs.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There are no former Marines; once a Marine, always a Marine.  Wasn't that in the book?   :D

You'll notice I didn't say ex-Marine... there are no "X" Marines... ;)

You're absolutely correct sir!  once and always.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I'll say the same thing that I said on twitter when I saw the driving iron in black...

🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

It's damn sexy but I bet I couldn't hit that thing to save my life

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I play with a guy who has a full set of PXG irons and wedges, looks great in his bag but I would say he is a bit out of his league with those irons and would be better off with a nice set of GI irons. They are a great looking club no doubt and are definitely for the more accomplished play IMO. I have tried his but he is 8 inches shorter than me and has a reg flex. Can't really report on the performance for myself of of hitting his clubs. I would love to try the driving iron out though.

Archived