TESTERS WANTED! ×

Official Forum Member Review - Wilson Staff D300 Irons

Official Forum Member Review

Wilson D300.jpg

Wilson Staff D300 Irons

josmi15                       Stage 1                      Stage 2                  Stage 3

Camcmart                  Stage 1                      Stage 2                  Stage 3

Reesedw                    Stage 1                      Stage 2                  Stage 3

PunkRockDoc           Stage 1                      Stage 2                  Stage 3

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let me introduce myself, My name is Josh and I'm a golf-a-holic.  I'm from NE Indiana and have been an avid golfer since 2012.  In the years between 1997 and 2012 I was a weekend hacker.  You know the type, shoots a 120, brags about his 7 good shots a round.  Drinks a lot of beer to either loosen up, or forget.  I'd get out about 6 times a year, and those were torture.  Growing up, was always told that I needed to win, or be the best.  When you've never had a lesson, it's hard to go out and do well.  So I did what any kid would do.  I'd go out there and try to gut it out and worry over each and every shot.  My father in law used to get me to go golf with him and his other son in law, when I was new to the family.  He got me to relax and just go out and have fun.  He was the type that would say after you hit a good shot, "that was a great shot, now get in the F'ng Cart".  We'd all laugh and have a great time.  He passed away 6 years back, but I thank the man upstairs for the pleasure of his company.  I believe with out him getting me to relax,  I probably wouldn't be typing this right now, and wouldn't have discovered the joys of golf. 

In 2012 something clicked, could be the fact that I couldn't hit a softball anymore. Also was tired of running around the bases.  I was way over weight and decided to make a lifestyle change.  Through Hard work and dieting, I lost 70 pounds in 3 months.  (mostly starving myself 5 days a week, I don't recommend it)  Then I realized that I needed something to do. I walked into Dicks Sporting Goods saw a price of clearance irons Adams A7's  for 199, contacted my good friend, he said it was a great deal.  Also, 2 weeks prior he had ordered the same set of Irons.  So with my new irons in hand, I developed a plan.  After watching "The Golf Fix" I saw that it was a good idea to "dial your distances in".  That made sense, so I purchased an unlimited monthly pass at the local golf store/driving range.  I broke 100 within weeks.  I felt confident that with Michael Breed once a week, I was on my way.

IMG_0446.PNG

Now, I normally break 90, but I'll say for this, I'm in the 85/95 range.  I have broke 85, breaking 80 is my current goal.  I have decided this season that playing it safe ISN'T always the best play. On long Par 4's I historically played them the same as Par 5's, this year I started going for the green.  With varied results, but that's how you learn.  Last year my goof friend got me to REALLY step out of my comfort zone and play in a league & a tournament.  I did finish dead last in the tournament. I was nervous as all get out, but I did finish.  I have no hole in one stories yet. I just found out today is the anniversary of my only eagle.  Holed out from 165, only 2 people that saw me were on the Tee box of the hole I just left, and they congratulated me.  I've established that I'm not a great golfer.  I've limited my mistakes to 3-5 a round.  I can take that.  No shame in being a bogey golfer.  

IMG_0337.JPG

The strengths of my game are my irons.  I'm interested in seeing what the FLX FACE of the Wilson D300's can do for a guy like me.  I can hit a 6 iron 169 yards, but I use it as my 160 club and work my way up from there.  The way I see it, albeit in my head, is that if I'm 160 out, I should be putting for Birdie.  Most of the times, I'm not, but that's another sob story!!!  

Weakness of my game are my long irons, I can't hit my 4 Iron anymore.  I hit a tape measure shot last month with it, to the tune of 135 yards.  You can almost see my tears while reading this, can't ya!  I recently replaced my 4Iron with my old Adams Hybrid.  

I currently play Ping G30's,  I was fitted for them.  I found that I have an upright swing, never knew that. The Pings were actually my 2nd choice, the Srixon set that I had been salivating over didn't even make the first cut.  If you have never been fitted and want to see improvement in your game, I recommend it.  My Irons are a strong part of my game.  One big fear that I have is that my wife will one day sell my clubs for what she has been told I paid for them.  

IMG_0429.JPG

I'm hoping to see improvement with the new irons.  Interested to see how the ball comes off the face, with the FLX Face technology provided by Wilson.  I'm also hoping that the FLX Faced technology will do it's magic on my long irons and instill some confidence in my game.  I mean, we're not talking long division.   Who doesn't need more confidence on the course, right?  "so I got that going for me, which is nice!"
IMG_0512.JPG

I've been putting these things through the paces.  If you have any suggestion feel free.  It's an honor to have been selected to test this equipment so I can provide you with the best and most honest feedback that I can.  I started jogging last December and my New Years resolution was to jog 700 miles.  I'm ahead of my pace.  The reason I brought this up was to say that the day I found out I was selected as tester I went out and ran my fastest 5 miles ever.  I felt as though I was flying.  My feet never touched the ground.

IMG_0408.JPG

Thanks to My Golf Spy for this honor. 

IMG_0422 - Copy.JPG

BTW, Clara approves!

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Player Biography 

I'm a 41 year old avid golfer.  I discovered my love for the game back in 2012. I was just a weekend hack before that for about 15 years.   I covered this in my stage 1.  So I'll give a brief synopsis.  My Handi-Cap is around a 16. There are times I can play it down to a 12, or I can ratchet it up to an 18. My Iron play has always been what has kept me in the match.     

Performance at the Range

Outdoor Range:

Remember that feeling when you were a kid on Christmas Morning?  Well, this was how I felt when I was able to unwrap these and take them out to play.  I hustled over to the range and immediately went to work.  I feel as if I put the these Irons through their paces. I practiced Punch Shots (yes i'm sometimes in the trees)  I put a tee under them to simulate par 3 shots.  There was no quit in these Irons.  They felt great after the first few swings, and it was one of those range sessions that you didn't feel you were there for over an hour.  So I was real excited, but again trying to remain focused on my quest to be fair and impartial.  My distances were consistent to the clubs I'm currently playing.  The one thing I noticed is that my ball flight wasn't as high with the D300s, but my distances were the same.  To make sure of this, I had to use technology.  Let's go indoors!

IMG_0662.JPG

Indoor Range Simulator:  

Side by Side with a 7 Iron on the simulator provided me with some data. What I had done to get the data that I needed, I took 4 swings with my current 7 Iron (PING G30)  Then I took 4 swings with the Wilson D300 7 Iron.  I repeated this numerous times.  Removing the worst shot, and came up with sets of averages.  I then took each set and came up with my average score per club.  Also, I went multiple days so I could make sure that I did a thorough job on this review.  

I used 5 categories that I felt were the most important. Again just using the 7 Iron just to provide data.

Club Swing Speed Ball Speed Carry Distance Total Distance Offline

D300  72.3               98.3             133.5             145                     11.3

PING 70.5                95.9             127.8              139.3                  6.5

D300 68.3                92.8              125                139                     5

PING 67.4                91.6              122                136                     3

D300 67.7                 92                 125                138                     11.3

PING 65.8                 89.5              119                134                       -2

Now that I have some data, let me just say.  I can't swing indoors. It's a mental block.  I just get nervous, plus i was wanting to make sure that I wrote everything down.

IMG_0627.JPG

Performance on the Course

Accuracy:  The accuracy on these Irons are consistent with my swing.  In all fairness, my current Irons have been fitted for me.  So my accuracy part of my review is factored into this equation.  Even though my range session suggested otherwise, I noticed no real problems on the course.  I wasn't right on, but I was always on the fairway.  I give these a passing grade. I wasn't as accurate with these as I am with my Ping.  I do believe that had I been fitted.  The Offline wouldn't have been that far off.  I was worried at the start that being offline at the simulator would cost me on the course.  

IMG_0726.JPG

Distance:  Well, it's all about gaining yardage!  The D300 gave me better carry distance and total distance then my Pings.  So give me an extra 5 yards or so per club.  I'll take it!  

Consistency: Irons are Irons, they say.  I used to be in that club.  Ever since I started trying to improve my game I noticed that that is NOT the case.  These Irons will help you improve your game.  The performed very well on range and on the course.  

Carry vs Roll –  Seeing the data above, I'll say the data speaks for itself.  I believe it was noticeable on course. My ball flight wasn't as high as I am used to, but it did roll further.  Which kept the distances the same.  I'm still attributing that to the fact that my current irons had been fitted.  On the island green at a course that I played, it did roll out on me, which may have cost me, since it rolled by the hole.  On a different Par 3, thanks to the roll, i narrowly missed a hole in one.  Which would've been my first, and thus solidifying there place in my bag.  

IMG_0710.JPG

(yes I missed the birdie putt)  we wanted to get it on Video

Course Score: 27/30   

Subjective: I'm ok with the look.  They have a busy look trying to fit in their emblem.  Some may be put off by it.  I think they're cool.  

IMG_0436.JPG

Sound and Feel: These things are the real deal.  They felt great.  I used the phrase, hot knife through warm butter.  

Sound and Feel Score: 17/20

Likelihood of Purchase:  I've been eyeballing Wilsons for a few years.  They've stepped up their game.  In all fairness the only reason why I'm just now playing Wilsons is that my playing partner has Wilsons.  If you read my stage 1, we had both bought the same set of Irons 5 years ago.  So I couldn't do that again.  If I'm looking for a set of Irons these would be front runners.

Conclusion: Thanks again for My Golf Spy for affording me this opportunity.  If you're thinking of getting fitted for a new set of Irons, make sure you add these into the rotation.  I gave these an honest run and they have performed for me.  I'm happy with the outcome of these Irons.  

Total Score: 86 / 100

Ask any questions you like and I will try to answer them when I can..thanks for reading!

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

PING G30 5-PW

EVNROLL ER-3

Stage Three - The Follow Up & Value Question.

The Five Questions

1) Will this product go in your bag? 

I've grown fond of these clubs. They performed in every situation that I have put it through.  They will definitely help out a mid to high handicapper with the forgiveness that these clubs afford.  With that being said, and after much deliberation, I'm sad to say these won't stay in my bag. The only reason as to why they won't, is that my current Irons are fitted for me.  That being said, if these clubs would have been fitted for my swing.  No doubt in my mind, these clubs would stay in my bag.  

2) To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this product?

I believe the Mid to High Handicappers would benefit from these clubs for a few reasons. 

First)  Confidence.  When you're a double bogey golfer, sometimes all you need is just a little foregiveness in your clubs.  The Wilson D300 with FLX Face technology definitely affords that forgiveness.  I didn't miss too many shots with these Irons.  

Second)  Scoring.  I think it's a little different than confidence in one respect.  When you start seeing the scores drop you'll come back and want to play more often.  I was able to see extra yardage with these clubs. As my test results in stage 2 showed.  It may not have been a drastic increase, but an average of 5 yards could mean all the difference.  I assure you, on the course, it felt like 10-15 yards.  But for this review i'm going with the indoor stats.

3) How, if at all, did this product change your overall impression of Wilson?  

This is where my impression doesn't really change.  I believe that Wilson makes a find product.  Far superior than others on the market.  I was fitted at our local store Demo Days for the C200 last spring (2016)  At the time I decided against them due to the fact that my playing partner was looking into them as well.  So as not to copy him again. (Stage 1 I mentioned how we both wound up with same irons)  I just couldn't do it.

4) What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

Only thing that I would change on the Wilson D300 with FLX FACE technology.  Is the cavity backed logo.  It just seemed a bit too much.  I'm trying to pick these apart and be honest.  Really, their emblem configuration in the cavity, really didn't bother me.  I'm trying to be as thorough as I can and if this is the only knock against it. Then they aced it with these.

5) What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models? 

The FLX FACE technology.  I'm sure they'll make this apart of, and expand upon, in all future clubs.  IT DELIVERS THE GOODS.

I would just like to thank MyGolfSpy for the honor in testing these beauties.  It was an honor that I took very serious. Being chosen is not a contest to be won.  When chosen for tester, I realized that you, my fellow spies are depending on me.  I hope I didn't let you down.

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

PING G30 5-PW

EVNROLL ER-3

Oh, hey, I didn't see you walk in. How's it going? Well since you're already here, you might as well stick around, Wilson sent me some pretty great clubs that I'd like to share with you. So sit back, don't forget to take your blood pressure medication, and kick up them dogs, it's gonna be a TE031 Urethane filled ride!

attachicon.gifIMG_0487.JPG

Handicap/Average score: Since I've only been playing golf about 2 years, I'm not putting up substantial numbers in any way, shape or form. My handicap is 18, so I have plenty of room for improvement. The lowest score that I've shot to this date is an 87 at my place of employment (Fort Wayne Country Club), but I'm usually pretty consistent around that +18.

attachicon.gifIMG_0490.JPG

Strengths of my game: I'm a very solid putter, especially after purchasing my Cleveland TFi 2135 Cero. Aside from that, I'm also pretty good from about 125 yards and in, but still no hole outs aside from a few chip ins.

attachicon.gifIMG_0492.JPG

Weaknesses of my game: Consistency with my irons and woods is not good, at all. My distance control with irons has been better as of recent, but I've been pushing many of my iron shots if I'm not duffing them. I tend to lose my tempo and in turn lose my form coming out of my backswing, but it's a work in progress just like the rest of my game.

attachicon.gifIMG_0494.JPG

Typical ball flight and miss: My ball flight is typically medium high and left to right with the occasional dart right at the pin. As previously stated, I typically push my irons left with the very occasional slice.

attachicon.gifIMG_0496.JPG

Current equipment: I currently play Adams Idea Hybrid Irons and have been for the past 1.5 seasons. They're regular flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara graphite shafts. I bought them impulsively from eBay after noticing how cheap they were going for. They have been a great starter set, and I really enjoy them, but they're just a little too bulky for my liking at address. The 6i and 7i are “hybrid irons” so they almost look like hybrids at address, which I'm just not a big fan of. Aside from that, they've got a really good feel and are very forgiving being that they are GI irons.

Swing tempo/speed: As I've already noted, my tempo varies, which I'm trying to work on, but my current swing thought is a “1, 2” while also trying to slow my backswing slightly. My last session with a launch monitor clocked my driver swing speed averaging right around 90 mph, which I believe should still be pretty accurate.

My love for the game: Because the game of golf is so tough, it constantly keeps me coming back for more, and what really keeps me around is that one amazing shot you get each round that you shake your head at and can't help but smile. Not only that, but it makes for a great time with friends, family, business partners, etc. even if everyone shoots 100, it's a damn good time!

As a 23 year old college student studying nursing, the months of September through May are dedicated to class, work, and family, and once May hits, my golf season officially begins here in Fort Wayne, IN. I got into golf about 2 years ago after working at a local country club on the grounds department for a little over a year. Initially, it was just something that I decided I was going to try because I had access to a nice course and range every Monday, but that drive (pun intended) grew as I continued to practice and play and now every chance that I get, I'm either at the driving range or playing a course as weather permits. The Midwest has a tendency to have many wet and dry spells in the Spring/Summer so the course could be a wet sponge, or it could be as hard as a rock with minimally receptive greens.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please take a number and you will be assisted in the respective order. But really, feel free to ask any questions as I test these irons and thank you SO much to MGS and Wilson for this great opportunity!

P.S. YES that is a wool sock that I use as a putter cover, I've been meaning to put googly eyes on him.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

So glad you decided to stick around! I do hope you're enjoying yourself, for I have yet to get into the details of these lovely irons.

Biography:
As I had already stated in my Stage 1, I've only been golfing for a couple years now, but have fallen in love with it since the beginning. I'm right around an 18 handicap, but of course one day I may shoot +12 and the next may be a really rough +20. My short game is definitely my strong point, having made a few chip ins to save par or birdie, with my irons and woods just needing a little more consistency.

Performance at the Range:
I was over the moon whenever these clubs initially arrived on my doorstep and I couldn't wait to get them out of the box and onto the range. There was just one problem: how do I adjust from my big clunky hybrids/hybrid irons to these slightly sleeker cavity-back irons?
IMG_0503.JPG
IMG_0493.JPG
I'll tell you how, by going to the range more than once. My first trip to the range with these was horrendous, I duffed every other shot, and even my good shots looked awful. I remember reading another spy's post about the same thing happening, though, so I pushed through and hoped the next session would be better. Guess what, it was. I'm not sure if it was the fact that I didn't want to harm these beautiful new irons or adjusting to the steel 80-gram KBS Tour shafts, but either way I was getting results. I was getting similar ball flights compared to my current set, and it seemed like my distances were increasing. While I was unable to get any swing data, I hope my thorough analysis will prove just as helpful.

RANGE SCORE: 7/10

Performance on the Course:
Accuracy: Once I got these puppies dialed in, I was hunting for birdies like a fly on….manure. I may have missed a few opportunities due to some lackluster putting, but reaching the green to give myself a chance is all I can ask for. I'm sure if I was fit to these irons, my accuracy could potentially be unreal, but unfortunately the budget won't allow that at the moment.

Distance: Well, the “D” in D300 sure doesn't stand for dud! These irons definitely gave me an extra 5-10 yards on each club. You may attribute that to the adjusted lofts or perhaps the FLX Face technology that these are equipped with, but either way, my 7i that I was hitting 145 I'm now hitting 150-155, so no complaints at all.

Consistency: “It's the Indian, not the arrow.” A saying I know all too well, but I have noticed that I am quite a bit more consistent with these irons compared to my current set. I'm not sure if it's the confidence that they give me sitting behind the ball or the adjustments that I've made to my swing tempo, but either way I love being able to hit the ball where I want it more often.

Carry vs Roll: As I stated previously, my ball flight is still very similar to my Adams Hybrid Irons, mid-high trajectory with a very similar LtoR shot shape, but I noticed that these irons allow me to stick the ball a little more often than my current set. This may sometimes be a good thing, or a bad thing, but having the ability now is a great feat in and of itself. Typically my 4i-6i will have more roll out than say my 8i, but it still seems like I'm able to stick more greens than before.

COURSE SCORE: 34/40

Subjective:
I enjoy the look of the irons at address; they're bulky as all SGI irons are, but with them being CB irons, the bulky bottom gets hidden in the shadows while the topline looks sleek but not too thin, especially with the urethane-filled power holes. If I had one complaint about the look, it would be that I'm not the biggest fan of chrome finishes when it comes to the sun glaring back at me at address, otherwise a pretty appealing club in my opinion.

LOOKS SCORE: 12/15

Sound and Feel: The difference between the sound of these compared to my current set is almost night and day. It's a very pleasing “pop” off the clubface compared to a dull “thud” in my current set. On top of that, the feedback is great, you can tell when it comes off the toe (not too punishing when it does), and when you pure them, you can tell immediately with the nice zip off of the clubface.

SOUND AND FEEL SCORE: 13/15

Likelihood of Purchase: I've been wanting to purchase a set of Wilson Staff irons since I was able to demo the C200s and witness for myself how great they felt. The only thing preventing me from doing so was insufficient funds. They're a great set of irons for a high-handicapper such as myself, being super forgiving and full of distance, and at a price tag of just $800, you can't beat them. These would definitely be in my top-3 iron sets that I would test when making a new iron purchase. Wilson Staff continues to produce these great golf clubs at very affordable prices, and you can't overlook them for a second.

LOP SCORE: 16/20

Conclusion: I'd like to give a HUGE thank you to MGS and Wilson Staff for this amazing opportunity. I did my best to put these irons through the paces, and they absolutely performed for me. I'm able to stick greens on par 3s, reach greens in 2, and I gained 5-10 yards on each club. I would absolutely recommend them to anyone with a mid-high handicap that wants a little more distance and forgiveness in their irons. It may take some adjusting to the stronger lofts, but with the 80-gram KBS Tour shafts, you shouldn't lose much, if any height on your shots, but should gain ball speed and distance overall.

TOTAL SCORE: 82/100

Any questions, feel free to ask away!

Stage 3 reserved

Wilson D300 Irons

ReeseDW's Stage One of the Wilson D300 testing.

I would like the Thank MGS and Wilson for this opportunity. To all the other Spy's reading this I hope I do you all Proud. Thank you.

I am a 48 yr. old male, been golfing for 20 yrs. When I started out it was something to do with friends, then it grew into an obsession the more and better I played. Not that I play great but I do ok. I play to a 16ish handicap, probably a little higher right now. I have played some great courses, mostly in Washington State. I have a played a couple course in Idaho, Montana, and 1 in South Carolina. I was in a weekly league that rotated between 10 courses over 21 weeks before a career change made it impossible to play the league. The league was split into two division (flights), in the 9 years in the league I won each division once and finished tied for 2nd once. I play a lot in Eastern Washington where the weather is dryer and hotter than the Seattle area. I currently play Ping G25 irons 5-LW.  I also carry 2 hybrids 18* and a 22*. Then I have a Ping G30 LS Tec driver and a Taylor Made R9 3 wood. My current swing speed with driver is 108-110. With the occasional 111, 112 thrown in. I am self-taught, other than a couple little tweaks from a coach I've never had a lesson. My typical ball flight is middle average to a little higher than average. My typical misses depend on the day, some day's right, some left, and some god only knows where they'll go. I'm hoping that I'll be a little longer with these clubs so that I'll be hitting more short irons into greens to help minimize the misses. When I quit trying to master the game and just play, it became a lot more fun and in turn I started getting better.

·         The Questions

• Handicap/average score?            16/ 88
  • Strengths of your game?              Scrambling, Hell with my handicap I have to scramble A LOT..
  • Weakness of your game?            Consistency, If I was consistent I wouldn't have to scramble so much Now would I??
  • Typical ball flight?           Average/ middle
  • Typical miss?                     Scattered
  • Current comparable equipment?             Ping G25 Irons
  • Swing tempo?                   Quick
  • Driver swing speed?                      108-110
  • What makes you love the game?             It's so easy yet so darn hard at the same time. Just get the little ball in the hole and do it by hitting it with a stick with a piece of metal on it..
  • How long have you been golfing?           20 years
  • What kind of golfer are you?                     Obsessed hack.
  • What's your story?         1st golfed due to peer pressure enjoyed it, so the wife bought me a set of starter clubs, the more I played the more addicted I became. So I joined a league to get my fix well that only made it worse. Chang in careers has changed my amount of play but still obsessed.
  • What is in your bag?

·         I play a Ping G30 LS tec driver, Taylor Made R9 3 wood, 18* and 22* hybrids (off-brands), Ping G25 Stiff irons 5-LW, and a Snake eyes Viper SSI putter, and Bridgestone e6 ball.

• How did you choose them? Went to golf store tested several clubs and these felt the best.
  • What region do you play out of?  Pacific Northwest 20 mi North of Seattle.
  • Describe your short game. - OK, I usually have a few miss-hits in the 100 yd. and in range causing pars and bogies to become doubles more...
  • How is your wedge play currently? – OK, like most mid-handicappers I struggle a bit in this area. I get a lot more chunks and skulls with wedges then I do when its full shots from the fairway.
  • What are you hoping to get out of the irons? I am hoping to gain a little distance that will allow me to use less club on approach which should help with consistency and contact as I will be hitting more full shots...

2.jpg

Opening the box the clubs were covered in plastic sleeve with shrink wrap around the head, and rubber banded into two groups. 

IMG_0083222.jpg

IMG_0084222.jpg

IMG_0096222.jpg

IMG_0100222.jpg

Initial impression: the clubs look and Feel great. But I'm not sure about the “Power Slots” They seem a little distracting. Setting them behind a ball I seem to be a little distracted by the “power slots”. 

IMG_0099222.jpg

IMG_0098222.jpg

These clubs do not feel cheaply made, or like some knock-offs. Very solid, comfortable feeling.

I feel the head a little more than with my Ping G25's.The size and general shape appears to be almost identical. The G25's do have a wider sole and a deeper cavity. The Wilson's have a more “finished” look. My initial impression is these are clubs I want to hit. The attention to detail shows through, from the grip to the ferrule, to the color fill these clubs are clearly built with Quality in mind. And it shows. 

IMG_0086222.jpg

IMG_0089222.jpg

They definitely make me feel the head more than the G25's, not in a bad way. I do believe they have a light shaft than the Ping's. I these clubs inspire confidence for sure. With the feel of extra weight in the heads I just feel they will get the ball up easily.

I love the grip, whether it the pattern, the material, or something else, the grip feels great.  

IMG_0093222.jpg

After doing a little chipping in the yard (shhh don't tell my wife), I like the feel, the ball off the face feels solid yet miss hits are obvious. You get nice feedback on both solid chips and misses.

Next up the course and range.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

[Wilson D300 Irons] – Official MGS Forum Review by [Reesedw]

IMG_0111111.jpg

Player Biography

Currently I'm playing the Ping G25 irons with the stock Stiff shafts. I'm currently about a 16 Handicap. I'd say the strength of my game would be scrambling. Hell I'm a 16, clearly I'm not a fairway, green and 2 putts player now am I. I have a Swing speed of 108-10 with a driver.

Ideally I'd like to be able to use the little extra distance to put me in a situation where I am hitting shorter clubs into greens to hopefully bring down the handicap some more.

Performance

This was where I was hoping to make some gains, but after initial comparison to the Ping's I was less optimistic. As both clubs heads are really close in size and shape I was now figuring I would end up with comparable results. Let's see how they did. 

Performance at the Range

IMG_0114111.jpg

IMG_0115111.jpg

Accuracy, Distance, Trajectory, Forgiveness, Control. This is what we all want to know, Can I hit it long, straight, and have it do what I want when I want it to.. So let's dig into what I found..

Distance: Long definitely describes these clubs. I was about 6-10 yards longer on the 5 iron over the Pings. Everything else was in the 5 yard gain range give or take a little. Since I was at the range it was a put them through their paces test..

Forgiveness: Very forgiving, I tried to hit off the toe, heel and around the face as much as I could, I still felt I was getting good flight and distance. I felt I was losing less than a club length distance wise for the most part. I do feel that I felt mis-hits more with the Wilson's than with the Ping's.

Accuracy: Once I got settled in with the Distances the consistency was fantastic. I seemed to be able to hit the distances (within a yard or so) within 4-5 balls consistently. With the occasional AH Ship… These clubs went where aim and with the distance I asked for..

Control: Just like the accuracy, I was able to get settled in within 4-5 balls with each club. And after that I knew right away what I was going to get for control.. For me I ended up with a slight Fade off the irons. Something I did not have with the Ping's out of the box. When I say slight fade I'm talking 20-25 FEET with the Short irons. As the clubs got longer the fade got smaller.

Trajectory: For me the Wilson D 300's reached a higher peak height. These clubs launch the ball really high significantly higher than the Ping G25's. If you need help to get the ball up these clubs do that.. 

Range Score: (8/10 points)

Performance on the Course

IMG_01011111.jpg

Like all of us with new toys, we want to play with them. My first round with the Wilson D300 irons was a mess. I had already hit the range and felt I was set. The Course is a whole other animal. I did learn a lot from the first round.

·         These clubs are long..

·         Very forgiving

·         I suck... LOL

Now that I got the initial round out of the way lets really play. These clubs play great. They handle the fairways, rough, and sand and Tee box fantastically. I still dealt with a slight fade that was now more pronounced. Back to real life important stuff. Notes since I now have some rounds on these clubs. to give then a fair evaluation I played with different balls from all over the course. But only balls i had played with in the past as to know their feel, distance, and sounds.. 

IMG_0104111.jpg

·         More pronounced fade on all clubs. Which I'm not sure I like.

·         I get the occasional flyer (abnormally long) I hit a G wedge (120 normal) 135+ on the fly... Yes could have been me but had a couple other times where it felt great and flew beyond expectations.

·         Have a penetrating ball flight. Ball seems to JUMP off the face. And VERY high. 

·         Ball flights VERY consistent. You know where it will go..

·         Distances rock solid. Flyers excluded

·         These clubs allow me to hit anything I am capable of hitting. Full shots, ¾ shots, Knock downs, flops, bump and runs...

IMG_0109111.jpg

These clubs did a great job, nice even divots, very easy to get solid distances.. 

More time with the clubs meant more time to work on the fade issue. It seems to be more pronounced on full shots, or shots where you give it just a little extra.. It is not distracting now that I'm used to it and it is even less noticeable.

These clubs are not the same clubs you'd find at Wal-Mart or Big 5. These are Real clubs for Real golfers. Do they provide the distance as anticipated? Yes. Are they forgiving? Yes. Would I recommend these clubs? HELL yes.. These clubs do everything promised and then some.

IMG_0113111.jpg

PW from 134 Uphill Par 3, About 20' right of the pin. As you can see about 6' of roll out as well as the crater of a ball mark. On this Day nothing was holding the greens, this did as well as any after a summer of almost NO rain in the Seattle area. 

Course Score: (36/40 points)

Subjective

Looks

IMG_0107111.jpg

●     General shape: The shape is pretty standard in the GI category, the size and shape almost mirror that of my G25's. The G25's were identical shape and size to my previous Ping I3 O-size.

●     Offset: The Offset doesn't appear to be significant. There is a little but not enough to really say that the heads have “offset”. More of what I would call Normal off-set for the Target golfer. If that makes sense.

●     Graphics. I like the graphics on these clubs a lot, the classic Red and Black of the “Wilson Staff” looks great. They are a little bolder then you would expect from a brand with such a heritage but not obnoxious, just kind of busy…

●     Other unique details. The “Power Slots” are Very noticeable when you first pick up the clubs. They also take a little getting used to at address, but after a few hits they seem to disappear and you don't notice them. The weight PODs on the sole look kind of out of place and gimmicky. But they seem to work well on off center hits so I'm good with them..

●     How does it come together visually? These clubs look amazing, Wilson did a great job so that they will appeal to a very large group of golfers. They still have a classic look with some more modern styling. They took the time to cover the little details to make these clubs look great, the grip, the ferrule, the paint fill, very nicely finished.

●     How does it compare to other products in its category? I was pleasantly surprised. Well, more than pleasantly. These clubs look great. I like the classic look of the red and black. The chrome finish is outstanding. Like I said before they have a very classy look with modern elements thrown in. As compared to a couple of other brands these clubs have a very “finished” look, but a little busy on the back side of the head.

Looks Score: (13/15 points)

Sound and Feel

●     With a lighter shaft to help increase speed to get the distance, I felt the Head more than my current clubs (Ping G25's). Which I came to like a lot, I had a better sense of where things were at during my swing.

●     The sound to me, is of a nice “click”. Across the face I got the same general sound, Toe hits had a little “deader” sound but still very pleasant.

●     On mis-hits I got more feeling that it was a mis-hit. Closer to you would get on bades, not bad but you felt that it was a mis-hit. That is something I do not get with my Pings.

●     Dare I say it, I like the sound and feel of these clubs better than my Pings.. or at the very least the same..

Sound and Feel Score: (13/15 points)

Likelihood of Purchase

That depends, do I have to give the ones I have back?? Hahaha. All things being equal, VERY likely. I would recommend these clubs to anyone looking for a new set of GI irons. Hell I'd recommend these to anyone looking for irons period. Well maybe not the person looking for blades, but the general person out and about, definitely.  I already have two friends that have seen them and might be looking for new clubs wanting to hit them. For me I would still go and hit several clubs to find out what I hit and feels better FOR ME. They are great clubs and anyone would be wise to look at the Wilson line up. These clubs are beautiful, play well, and feel great..

LOP Score: (18/20 points)

Conclusion

In conclusion the Wilson D300 irons can face off against any opponent and hold their own. These clubs look and feel great. If all of the Wilson line up is as good as these, Wilson's future looks great. Mind you I have only a short amount to time playing these clubs compared to my regular ones. Also I am not Jordan, Rory, Dustin, or Jason, So please take this with a grain of salt. These clubs in my opinion should be considered for anyone looking for any clubs not in the “players club” arena. These clubs are long, consistent, forgiving, and beautiful. My only complaint is that I get a slight fade off these clubs that I have not ever had before. Is it me? Maybe, but why now and only these clubs. Could it be the shafts? Which are a little lighter to help ball speed to increase distance, causing me to swing slightly different?  I don't know. Is it enough for them to come out of my bag? I don't think so. So yes they are in the bag to stay. If you are looking for clubs do not discount Wilson D300's, and do not discount Wilson as a line. They are making some great products, if they had a Jordan, Dustin, or Rory swinging them, they might be the clubs to beat.. I hope you find this fun and informative. I had a blast doing this review..

Thank you My Golf Spy I hope this review meets the High expectations that have been set before me.. Thanks.

Total Score: (88/100)

IMG_0103111.jpg

Feel free to ask any further questions for follow up.. 

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Stage Three - The Follow Up & Value Question.

The Five Questions

1.    Will this product go in your bag? Why or why not? YES! It already has, as I showed in Stage 1 and 2 pictures, the D300 clubs shape and size are almost the same as my Ping g25's, making the transition fairly easy. The Wilson D300's are long, straight, and very forgiving without giving up the height and feel I prefer. I'm not sure I will give up my Pings but I am playing the Wilson's and plan to until I “Need” new clubs..

2.    To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this product? Why? Anyone that might be looking for new clubs. Especially the mid-to High handicapper looking for more distance and consistency. These clubs are a pleasure to play. They take no effort at all to get the ball moving in the right direction with a great ball flight.

3.    How, if at all, did this product change your overall impression of [brand]? I thought this product did a great job moving Wilson back into the main stream of pro quality clubs. I used to think of Wilson as old and tired, Not any more these clubs are every bit as good as my Pings and my buddies new Taylor Made's. They both Look and play great. I have not hit any other of Wilson's latest clubs but I am sure if these are any indication, they are great.

4.    What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model? I think some people might be put off by the power slots. This might be an area that gets looked at, not to eliminate but maybe down play. Maybe eliminate the actual slots on the top-line for a cleaner more traditional look. That is my only thought. Other than that these clubs look and feel amazing.

5.    What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models? I really like the chrome finish. I think this does give it a very traditional look, something distinguished. I think the chrome finish and metal fill the power slots on the top-line, these clubs would fly off the rack more than they do now. Not eliminate the power slots just cover the elastomer with the metal so that they create a highly “finished” look. It would create a very beautiful traditional looking golf club. A little less “rock star” and a little more “classic” look. Just my $.02. To me after a few round I don't even notice them while playing. But I did notice how some people might.

Again I would like to Thank My Golf Spy and Wilson for the opportunity test and review the Wilson D300 Irons. 

Feel free to ask any questions.. thanks

Dave

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

I must've missed this testing call. Good luck guys! I can't wait to see what Wilson is bringing to the table this year.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I must've missed this testing call. Good luck guys! I can't wait to see what Wilson is bringing to the table this year.

it was out there, back in late May i believe. Looking forward to everyones thoughts on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

it was out there, back in late May i believe. Looking forward to everyones thoughts on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What he said, lol.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Thanks guys

Sent by carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

it just shows that MGS offers so many testing opportunties, so often it's hard to keep up with them all.  I have known in my mind the Epic and D300 stages were coming and reading  them. 

Stage 1 is up

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

PING G30 5-PW

EVNROLL ER-3

Oh, hey, I didn't see you walk in. How's it going? Well since you're already here, you might as well stick around, Wilson sent me some pretty great clubs that I'd like to share with you. So sit back, don't forget to take your blood pressure medication, and kick up them dogs, it's gonna be a TE031 Urethane filled ride!

IMG_0487.JPG

Handicap/Average score: Since I've only been playing golf about 2 years, I'm not putting up substantial numbers in any way, shape or form. My handicap is 18, so I have plenty of room for improvement. The lowest score that I've shot to this date is an 87 at my place of employment (Fort Wayne Country Club), but I'm usually pretty consistent around that +18.

IMG_0490.JPG

Strengths of my game: I'm a very solid putter, especially after purchasing my Cleveland TFi 2135 Cero. Aside from that, I'm also pretty good from about 125 yards and in, but still no hole outs aside from a few chip ins.

IMG_0492.JPG

Weaknesses of my game: Consistency with my irons and woods is not good, at all. My distance control with irons has been better as of recent, but I've been pushing many of my iron shots if I'm not duffing them. I tend to lose my tempo and in turn lose my form coming out of my backswing, but it's a work in progress just like the rest of my game.

IMG_0494.JPG

Typical ball flight and miss: My ball flight is typically medium high and left to right with the occasional dart right at the pin. As previously stated, I typically push my irons left with the very occasional slice.

IMG_0496.JPG

Current equipment: I currently play Adams Idea Hybrid Irons and have been for the past 1.5 seasons. They're regular flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara graphite shafts. I bought them impulsively from eBay after noticing how cheap they were going for. They have been a great starter set, and I really enjoy them, but they're just a little too bulky for my liking at address. The 6i and 7i are “hybrid irons” so they almost look like hybrids at address, which I'm just not a big fan of. Aside from that, they've got a really good feel and are very forgiving being that they are GI irons.

Swing tempo/speed: As I've already noted, my tempo varies, which I'm trying to work on, but my current swing thought is a “1, 2” while also trying to slow my backswing slightly. My last session with a launch monitor clocked my driver swing speed averaging right around 90 mph, which I believe should still be pretty accurate.

My love for the game: Because the game of golf is so tough, it constantly keeps me coming back for more, and what really keeps me around is that one amazing shot you get each round that you shake your head at and can't help but smile. Not only that, but it makes for a great time with friends, family, business partners, etc. even if everyone shoots 100, it's a damn good time!

As a 23 year old college student studying nursing, the months of September through May are dedicated to class, work, and family, and once May hits, my golf season officially begins here in Fort Wayne, IN. I got into golf about 2 years ago after working at a local country club on the grounds department for a little over a year. Initially, it was just something that I decided I was going to try because I had access to a nice course and range every Monday, but that drive (pun intended) grew as I continued to practice and play and now every chance that I get, I'm either at the driving range or playing a course as weather permits. The Midwest has a tendency to have many wet and dry spells in the Spring/Summer so the course could be a wet sponge, or it could be as hard as a rock with minimally receptive greens.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please take a number and you will be assisted in the respective order. But really, feel free to ask any questions as I test these irons and thank you SO much to MGS and Wilson for this great opportunity!

P.S. YES that is a wool sock that I use as a putter cover, I've been meaning to put googly eyes on him.

Good start guys, can't wait to hear all about them.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Good start all. I noticed no one so far went with the blue finish. Anyone else see these?

IMG_2136.JPG

"Mizuno, I'll see your blue wedges and raise you an entire blue iron set"

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Blue wasn't offered, I would have jumped at the chance

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

PING G30 5-PW

EVNROLL ER-3

Me too, the blue ones look killer.. If they want to swap them out I'm in.. 

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

attachicon.gifIMG_0487.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0490.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0492.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0494.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0496.JPG

Well Done Cam...great job on the pics.  I think you're going to like these a lot!  But I guess we'll have to wait for Stage 2 to find out...enjoy!!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

While I am not suggesting that I don't read other reviews, I will be following this review with great interest.   The first set of clubs that I purchased long, long ago were made by Wilson.   It was a starter set called Sam Sneed Blue Ridge.   Now that Wilson seems to be reemerging, so to speak, perhaps it would be fitting that what may be my last purchase (I tend to keep using the same irons for years) be made by Wilson.  The full circle thing.

Well Done Cam...great job on the pics. I think you're going to like these a lot! But I guess we'll have to wait for Stage 2 to find out...enjoy!!

Thanks Rob! You're just going to have to stick around and find out just how much I may (or may not) like them

I'm a former...way former softball player myself Josh so I know how it is looking for something to fill that void.   Rough lie by the tree trunk, I think I would invoke "new club rule" there and not even attempt to hit it...ha

Archived