Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Tips for my first time regripping

So my grips are beat. I've been wanting to pull the trigger on some Golf Pride Z grips all summer and finally getting to it since my TM Spider tour had emptied out my golf piggy bank. So I'm thinking I'll try to Regrip them myself. Seems like a lot of guys do it and I think it might be fun. I've watched several videos and think I'm ready to hit the ground running, but have started to second guess myself. These grips are about $10 a pop and I'm doing 10 clubs, now I'm scared to spend $100 and not be happy with how I put them on. So I'm going to take my time learn as much as a can before I try it out. Looking for tips and starter kits that you recommend for a first time "regripper".

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

don't be stingy with how much solvent you use. What grips are you putting on?

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I used to use grip tape and solvent, but switched a few years ago to an air compressor when I went to the Pure Grips.  It's very easy to put on and take off with air, and it's not messy.  Once you have any buildup tape installed on the shaft, changing grips in the future is a matter of a few minutes for the whole set.  It can be done with just about any grip, not just Pure Grips.  The only one that I have found difficult to do with air is the Winn Grip classics with the hard rubber collar where it meets the shaft.   

If you use grip tape and solvent, don't skimp on the solvent!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

if you plan to regrip each year/frequently look into getting an air compressor.  As Kenny B said - this is certainly the quickest and easiest way to do it.  I've not done it but everyone that has good things to say.  I think when you blow off your old grips they are still in tact so that you can keep them.  So - for example - if you wanted to try a new grip but didn't want to fully invest in it you can easily just put it on one club with air and if you don't like it just blow it off and put the old one back on.  BONUS: if your old grips are in decent condition you can probably sell them on ebay!

I don't have a compressor but I've done regripping myself a lot.  

Brief tips - 

Align the club face before you put the grip on... you can move it around after but the less you have to move it the better.

Cover the end of shaft with tape so that the solvent doesn't leak down into the shaft.

Get "grip tape"..  I get the strips and it is so much easier than cutting your own.

Solvent is your best friend ... spray the tape; put it inside the grip, cover the hole and shake.

MOST IMPORTANT: Once you start pushing the grip on ... DON'T STOP... I've ruined a few grips doing this...thinking I didn't have enough solvent and tried to pull it back off halfway through and it got stuck so I had to cut it off.  :(

Have a ball somewhere near you and after it's on put the clubface down at the ball and align the grip right where you want it.  You have a couple of minutes where you can still move the grip around.

Last tip - search on the forum for gripping/regripping... there've been a couple of posts about this already.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

if you plan to regrip each year/frequently look into getting an air compressor. As Kenny B said - this is certainly the quickest and easiest way to do it. I've not done it but everyone that has good things to say. I think when you blow off your old grips they are still in tact so that you can keep them. So - for example - if you wanted to try a new grip but didn't want to fully invest in it you can easily just put it on one club with air and if you don't like it just blow it off and put the old one back on. BONUS: if your old grips are in decent condition you can probably sell them on ebay!

I don't have a compressor but I've done regripping myself a lot.

Brief tips -

Align the club face before you put the grip on... you can move it around after but the less you have to move it the better.

Cover the end of shaft with tape so that the solvent doesn't leak down into the shaft.

Get "grip tape".. I get the strips and it is so much easier than cutting your own.

Solvent is your best friend ... spray the tape; put it inside the grip, cover the hole and shake.

MOST IMPORTANT: Once you start pushing the grip on ... DON'T STOP... I've ruined a few grips doing this...thinking I didn't have enough solvent and tried to pull it back off halfway through and it got stuck so I had to cut it off. :(

Have a ball somewhere near you and after it's on put the clubface down at the ball and align the grip right where you want it. You have a couple of minutes where you can still move the grip around.

Last tip - search on the forum for gripping/regripping... there've been a couple of posts about this already.

This is exactly why I love my golf spy! Just what I was looking for. I'm still in college so probably won't be investing in a air compressor yet but loved the information. Any tips on where to buy grips / regripping supplies

This is exactly why I love my golf spy! Just what I was looking for. I'm still in college so probably won't be investing in a air compressor yet but loved the information. Any tips on where to buy grips / regripping supplies

You can get grip tape and solvent from Amazon.  

GolfWorks.com also has regripping supplies.

One other thing - use a bucket underneath the grip to 'catch' the solvent that leaks out.  You can reuse that solvent if it isn't too dirty.... and keep a rag handy; you'll get some solvent on your hands/the grip and you'll want to wipe it off.

Also - since this is your first time, get a cheap grip (like 2 or 3 bucks) that you don't plan on keeping and use this as a 'test' so that you get a feel for it, know what you need to tweak, etc.

If you're removing your old grips, get a hook blade (for carpets) that goes in a box cutter.  MUCH easier to cut the old grips off this way.

If the tape that is on there is stuck pretty good put it under running water.... the water will help loosen it up.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003S705MK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VEQV8I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Good tips Ace!!  It's been several years since I did grips with solvent and forgot some of those!!  

Getting an air compressor is not a big deal of expensive.  It doesn't take much; one with a small tank can be had for around $50 at Harbor Freight.  I think fozcycle got one last year and likes it a lot.

Here's the link to the thread, if you are interested...

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/18318-re-gripping-with-an-air-compressor/

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Good tips Ace!! It's been several years since I did grips with solvent and forgot some of those!!

Getting an air compressor is not a big deal of expensive. It doesn't take much; one with a small tank can be had for around $50 at Harbor Freight. I think fozcycle got one last year and likes it a lot.

Here's the link to the thread, if you are interested...

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/18318-re-gripping-with-an-air-compressor/

Not really the funds that are an issue but more so the space I have to store stuff such as tools. But will be heading to my grandparents before school starts and I know he has one so I'll definitely read into it!

First timer make sure that your club is clamped tightly in your vise, make sure the face orientation is where you want it for the installed grip and like everyone else said use plenty of solvent. You spray the taped area liberally, spray into the grip opening liberally (make sure you plug the butt end opening with your finger), swish it back and forth a few times, pour it out thoroughly over the grip and immediately and quickly slide the grip on. It will leave a puddle of solvent at your feet so work over old rags. Once it's installed how you want it turn the club upside down and drive the club vertically against the floor several times to make sure it's all the way on. Store upside down for half hour or so while the solvent weeps out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

This is a lot easier than you think, trust me. I was nervous when I first started doing my own, but now it's a breeze. I use mineral spirits as solvent, I've never had a problem with it and you can get a big jug that will last you a long time. Also, it doesn't dry up super fast so it gives you plenty of time to adjust the grip. When I first started, I cut my grips off. I quickly invested in a grip removal tool for like $20 from Amazon, super easy to use and it pays for itself after one session.

When I first started doing this, I used a portable vice and a cheap baking pan to catch the solvent, but after doing it several times I don't use any of that now.

I have one of these small squirt bottles, similar to a ketchup bottle at a restaurant, to fill with solvent. After my grip is removed and shaft is taped, I'll lay the shaft over the sink and pour solvent up and down over the tape... be generous with it. I then squirt some in the grip and swish it around making sure to get it plenty soaked. Then pour out that solvent over the shaft and slide the grip on. I can hold the shaft with one hand and slide the grip on with the other. Take the club down and then adjust it to your liking.

*I feel like I did a lot of rambling, but I tried to cover the important stuff. I think I might make a little picture tutorial when I get home this evening.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Quick tip - do a practice run on a club that you don't bag. My first grip was terrible because I didn't use enough solvent. I had a hell of a time trying to get the grip all the way down, and to this day that club isn't in the bag. It never was, but especially now, it never ever will be.

Use A LOT of solvent. Put enough where you think "that's too much" then put more.

If you're still hesitant, there's no shame in paying someone to do it. My local shop charges $2 per grip, that's $16 to regrip your irons. I think I spent about that on solvent, tape, razor, and my time. If you're strapped for cash, it might be just as worthwhile to save up a little and have them installed. Just my .02!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Quick tip - do a practice run on a club that you don't bag. My first grip was terrible because I didn't use enough solvent. I had a hell of a time trying to get the grip all the way down, and to this day that club isn't in the bag. It never was, but especially now, it never ever will be.

Use A LOT of solvent. Put enough where you think "that's too much" then put more.

If you're still hesitant, there's no shame in paying someone to do it. My local shop charges $2 per grip, that's $16 to regrip your irons. I think I spent about that on solvent, tape, razor, and my time. If you're strapped for cash, it might be just as worthwhile to save up a little and have them installed. Just my .02!

Yeah I've always got them installed and don't mind paying for it. I guess I just started thinking about doing it myself for the fun of it and maybe even start a better habit of changing them yearly. The set I have now has is about 6 years old and they have only been changed once.

I use this regripping station. I do over 100 grips a year though. All I can say is I use grip tape from golfworks and lots of solvent. It's not a hard process but you have to remember you do not want to skimp on the solvent. If you run into any issues I am sure someone here can help you out.

Also if you have any old clubs and cheaper grips to practice with that will build your confidence.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

They are golf pride "tour Z"

attachicon.gifIMG_3602.JPG

Cool, golf prides go on easy enough. I've used their wrap, tour velvet, and now the MCC 4. It's sounds like you've gotten plenty of advice from the spys so you should be good to go.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I have done Several also.. USE SOLVENT and lots of it.. Like TSauer I do not use grip solvent, I use BBQ lighter fluid. $1.99 a big jug and slower to evaporate, it does allow for correction of mistakes.. And Use Grip tape like everyone else has said.. I have use Aircraft grade double sided tape it worked just not as well.. Good luck.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

It's pretty easy. Lot of these have already been shared but I'll throw my two cents in.

Removal

1.) just cut them with a razor. A hook blade works best.

2.) what I do to remove old tape is take a razor blade made for scraping and go back and forth along the steel shafts. Go around twice getting about half of the length in one time and the rest in the other. Once the biggest part of the tape is gone I use a wash rag and acetone to wipe the rest off.

Installation

1.) you can buy a regrip kit at dicks or other golf stores. Comes with everything you need.

2.) use plenty solvent.

2.2) use one of your grips to mark the length of the grip on each shaft. This way they are all the same. You'd be surprised how much they will stretch.

3.) Put a pan under the grips as you pour the solvent on so you can save some.

4.) getting the grip started over the shaft seems to be the hardest part for me.

5.) keep a dry towel handy as you push grips on. Use the towel to hold the grip as you push. Hands will be slippery from solvent.

6.) once the grip is started on and close to in line, try to push it on all in one push. When you stop half way is when you start to have trouble.

Hope this helps.

give this a look... it's one of the better explanations and videos I've seen.  the video is 10 min but worth it.

https://bestgrips.com/pages/how-to-re-grip

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Mark the centerline with a sharpie before you cut the old one off. This makes it mich easier to get the new ones aligned.

I put a tee in the grip, pour in some solvent, plug the other end with my finger and make sure the solvent coats the full inside of the grip. Keeping your finger in the big end, pull out the too and trickle the solvent onto the grip tape. Completely cover the tape.

I forgot to put solvent in the grip once, and it almost killed me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I bought a vise, had it attached to a homemade table, and I buy grip solvent and tape through Golfworks. Definitely buy an exacto knife with the hook blade. When I bought all of my stuff the first time I made sure it came with a rubber vise insert. I haven't spent money on a tape dispenser as they're over $100. I had bought tape strips, but they're expensive compared to a roll. I just get a big roll of the grip tape and I measure and peel by hand. It's not that big of a deal. I can definitely vouch for using more solvent than you think you need. I have a spray bottle and use it to spray the grip tape and then into the grip as well. I add two grips of tape on every club so I peel a LOT of tape. Anyway. I have saved a bunch of money gripping on my own. Minimum, $3 per grip. That's $42 x 5 or 6 times I've gripped. I buy all my grips when Lamkin has sales, so I'm getting grips for $4-$5 each, not $9-$10 each in a store. It's well-worth the initial outlay of cash. And it becomes VERY easy!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

regripping is not hard, and you really can't screw it up, the only tip I have is to use plenty of solvent. The more you use, the easier the grip will slide on. Once you do a coupe of them, you will figure out how much to use, as well as different techniques to line them up.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived