TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hogan arises again

ddryan

I am very happy to see the Hogan Company arising from the ashes- their product is outstanding (I am currently playing the TK Wedges (53 and 57), and had a set of the Ft Worth Irons, which I loved, but my swing was not consistent enough to make them work for me.  I sold them to a buddy who has since dropped another 2 strokes off his index- they are indeed great clubs.

The interesting thing about the Ft Worth Irons is the approach to numbering.  Ft Worth irons are labeled by loft angle, not some number like "7" - available lofting ran from about 20 degrees all the way to 49 degrees, then you get into the TK wedges.  This allows individuals to create their own bag- and allows the player to have a standard degree (perhaps 5 degrees) of separation between each club.  It takes a bit of range time to figure out your distances - for example Ft Worth 48 degree  was roughly equivalent to my old Taylor Made Burner 2.0 wedge.  So you work thru the bag, figure out what you need, and then you can order the degree clubs you want/need.  I think it is a great approach. Just wish I was good enough, or had the time to groove the consistency you need to hit them-  because when you do, OMG- "Like Buttah!!!"

They offered bags (both carry and cart) at a significant discount- I ordered two and have one more on order today- well made, with the Hogan logo- very handsome bag and a nice bag to carry.

I was not as impressed with the hybrids- I purchased one and had to ship it back as it lost the paint off the face of the club after about 3 rounds.  They sent me a replacement, but it was not the same (had same specs, but club felt different in my hands and results were not what I was looking for)- that concerns me because if two supposedly identical clubs have that much variation between them, I wonder if the QC is up to snuff. 

For the good of the Hogan brand, I certainly hope so- Hogan always represented quality, and I hope it will again.

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

If I'm reading their factory-direct business model correctly, potential customers will need to get fitted independently and send The Ben Hogan Co. their personalized specs? No middle men whatsoever? Very interesting concept.

I hope it works out for them. 

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

The interesting thing about the Ft Worth Irons is the approach to numbering.  Ft Worth irons are labeled by loft angle, not some number like "7" - available lofting ran from about 20 degrees all the way to 49 degrees, then you get into the TK wedges.  This allows individuals to create their own bag- and allows the player to have a standard degree (perhaps 5 degrees) of separation between each club.  It takes a bit of range time to figure out your distances - for example Ft Worth 48 degree  was roughly equivalent to my old Taylor Made Burner 2.0 wedge.  So you work thru the bag, figure out what you need, and then you can order the degree clubs you want/need.  I think it is a great approach. Just wish I was good enough, or had the time to groove the consistency you need to hit them-  because when you do, OMG- "Like Buttah!!!"

I hate the way Hogan numbers irons, but maybe it's because I'm not smart enough to remember that a 7-iron is 34 degrees. My Cleveland wedges have 50, 54, & 58 stamped on 'em. It just seemed gimmicky to me.

But when you think about it, your driver has a loft degree- your three-wood or five-wood also has a degree loft, and your hybrid has a loft- the only clubs that don't are the iron set- and when you walk into a shop and buy a 5 iron you think it is the same whether a Titlist or Taylor Made or Cobra or Adams- the fact is that they are all different- there is no standard- but when you shift to degree lofts, well, at least it levels the playing field.  It does take some time to figure out what each degree does, but you can really customize your bag. 

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Putter MLA Pro Classic

I made a comment in the blog however it did not post . Frustrating after typing a bunch anyways I think it's a smart idea. Not everybody cares to support the middle man. Plenty of companies around for that. Good move for Hogan!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I was a big fan of those hogan FT WORTH irons I really wanted a set but they did not have a dealer here in the UK.

Also the TK wedges just looked fantastic....If they produce them again I might be asking a US based member to ship me a set over marked as a gift to aviod import taxes.

Obviously I will send the member the money to order and ship them. :D

:callaway-small: rouge subzero Fujikura Evo 2 shaft

:titelist-small:  F2  3 wood Mitsubishi rayon 

:titelist-small:  818.21 hybrid Even flow black

Ben Hogan irons apex 4 shafts 

:mizuno-small: S18 wedges 50/54/58

:titelist-small:  Cameron and Crown M1

there has been some forum testing of their clubs ... I think they're pretty good.  

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/16384-official-forum-member-review-ben-hogan-golf-ptx-iron-review/?hl=hogan

Glad to see Hogan is taking a non-traditional route.  Hope that they can stay competitive and around for a while.  Kind of reminds me a little of the Wishon clubs....which a lot of people rave about!

On a side note - I'm still wondering why Marc Leishman has the Hogan logo on his polo shirts...  I didn't see any Hogan clubs in his bag.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

On a side note - I'm still wondering why Marc Leishman has the Hogan logo on his polo shirts...  I didn't see any Hogan clubs in his bag.

Could be he's sponsored, in part, by Perry Ellis, who owns the Ben Hogan brand. They're the only golf shirts I buy now.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Could be he's sponsored, in part, by Perry Ellis, who owns the Ben Hogan brand. They're the only golf shirts I buy now.

Ah; good call... never thought of that angle!  Perry Ellis makes some sweet clothes.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Walmart, of all places, is currently marketing Ben Hogan apparel. It's good quality and a great value for the price. I own many of the BH shirts and shorts. 

I mean, a moisture-wicking polyester shirt is what it is IMO. Style and fit are what matters and BH's 2XL polos fit me well.

One of the things Hogan did last summer, after Scott White took over, was to add a traditional club number to their club heads --- meaning a 33, 34 or 35 degree club would be labelled "7", for example.  

If you take a look at the website today - they're offering, for example, 4 different loft packages (4-PW, with each set gapped 4 degrees between clubs) and 10 different shaft options for the PTX irons (click here). The FT Worth 15 irons are a bit more limited - with three loft packages and only 3 shaft options - probably due to the type of players who might order those irons.  

I've gamed the hybrids for a year now -- while some people were meh on them, I like them a lot, and consider them a steal at $135 a pop. Ditto on the stand bag -- for that price is a honey.

As far as the business plan goes -- what they were doing sure as heck wasn't working, and it requires a sales force (or reps), special order capabilities, inventory and retail partnerships.  All that is overhead just to get the product to a place where you could buy it.  

As far as custom fitting goes, that's not part of the program now - Scott White did tell me they may -- MAY - look to hook up with fitters somewhere down the road, but that's about #20 on the priority list right now, well behind staying solvent.  For better for worse, this is the model they've chosen.

I find it funny this was published the day after the PXG article. Whenever we run a PXG article villagers storm that castle in anger, saying the pricing is ridiculous, they pay spoiled tour players too much money, golf equipment needs to be more "affordable" (whatever that means), blah blah blah.  Well, here you go world - what could be considered premium equipment at much, much lower pricing. 

You wanted lower pricing, you got it! 

It's my guess - and guess only - that as they get their financial legs under them a little more, and probably mend some relationships with vendors who lost some money during the bankruptcy (I'm also guessing there are few vendors who are a little leery of extending them credit), there will be more shaft and grip options available to consumers.  Unlike the previous edition of Hogan, this is very much a crawl-walk-and maybe eventually run plan. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Oh, and with Hogan irons with just the lofts -- the trick is to identify what club is your 7-iron, and work form there. It's not that hard - took about 13 holes to figure it all out.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I kind of like the identification via loft idea. I think once you got used to them it would be fine. They are making some gorgeous clubs right now. I have a set of TK wedges and think they are great.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I kind of like the identification via loft idea. I think once you got used to them it would be fine. They are making some gorgeous clubs right now. I have a set of TK wedges and think they are great.

what if you get your clubs bent though ???

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Will the website have a "web fitting" type of feature? That coupled with a strong return policy, and maybe a three club trial set should help convince a lot of people to give them a shot. Remember- the market (and more importantly the consumer) is changing rapidly, for better or worse.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

what if you get your clubs bent though ???

Counter-question: what level of OCD does one have? :)

I see your point though-I would be in the camp that would have to have the clubs bent to what the number said or it would drive me nuts. So if I ever got refitted, I would probably have a hard time bending them to a different loft.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Does anyone do that anymore? :o

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

It's nice to see they are making a comeback, hope they can pull it off, just being factory direct orders.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I hope this works out for them, I was a fan of the Ft. Worth irons and the wedges

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I was a big fan of those hogan FT WORTH irons I really wanted a set but they did not have a dealer here in the UK.

Also the TK wedges just looked fantastic....If they produce them again I might be asking a US based member to ship me a set over marked as a gift to aviod import taxes.

Better yet, Someone brings a set with them to play at Royal Birkdale or Royal Lytham & St. Annes and just leaves them for you!!  Of course you "won" them on the first round and "lost" $650ish in the second round.  

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

Companies seldom do that, as it can get them into trouble with Customs officials.

This is very exciting and will cause me to wait before purchasing a new set of irons.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Using the TK 53 and TK 57 wedges right now- and I love them.   The feel is exceptional, control is good. I especially like the duel grind on them.  This allows you to open the face and get a softer lob like touch shot, or square the club and approach as normal.  This from their website, but it is true and they say it better than I can...

"At the heart of every Hogan TK wedge is the renowned V-SOLE design  For each loft, they blend a high bounce front section with a low bounce main portion, so the TK wedges can handle any lie or shot you want to pull off."

I even pulled my older TM RAC  to see the difference- no comparison- put those old TM back in the spare bag in the garage! 

As soon as I can afford, I will probably buy two new TK wedges- just not this year!!!

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

Archived