TESTERS WANTED! ×

Taking a Break

Shankster

Man you've gotta just cut your losses sometimes. No need to wallow through a swamp of bad shots. When the crap strikes me, I just call it quits or switch to silly chips only. It's so satisfying to just cut a crappy session short.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel you Shankster, been there too.  Taking some time off helped me, sometimes it could be all mental.  Hope you find your game again.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Man you've gotta just cut your losses sometimes. No need to wallow through a swamp of bad shots. When the crap strikes me, I just call it quits or switch to silly chips only. It's so satisfying to just cut a crappy session short.

Exactly !  If you're not careful you can practice your self right into some bad muscle memory and then you're really screwed.  I'll take a short break and get back out there Tuesday.    

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Well I went out today. Played pretty good. Didn't keep score. Pretty slow so I played 4 balls. Back to normal I think.

See! No need to be drastic.

Sent by carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Well Ladies and Gentlemen.

I think I have practiced myself into sucking at golf again. Taking a week or 3 off from my beloved game. I almost feel like curling up in a ball in the corner. I was shooting in the 70's.... then all of the sudden I can't hit the broad side of a barn from 10 yards... literally.

This happens once a summer. I just look down and wonder why I am standing there. Everything just looks wrong. Arms, legs, hips, shoulders... even when I hit a good shot it's lacking distance.

I need to go see a pro. But I think they are booked up for the rest of the year or moved back to the UK...

The only thing I can do well right now is putt. This is pretty much devastating because I had another weekend of golf lined up this weekend, and had some really nice places lined up for the following weekend, rather than go putt myself around the course I'll save the embarrassment....

- Alan

I'm there with you, right now. 10 months ago I was a 5.7 hcp, had 50% of my rounds in the 70's. Now, I shoot mid 80's to mid 90's. One day I can hit fairways and greens, but three-putt the world away, then I putt halfway decent, but I hit 2 fairways and one green a side. My hcp is trending up to 7.5 now. All in one year. Sucks. New job, less time to practice...

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Once hit 52 snap fades in a row at the range. Played the next day, nada. Maybe thinking about the target instead of hitting perfect shots was the difference?

Yep - that's why it's important to go play for real sometimes.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Once hit 52 snap fades in a row at the range. Played the next day, nada. Maybe thinking about the target instead of hitting perfect shots was the difference?

That's why I don't like hitting balls on a range.  I've had to do it lately, but I would rather just play.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I hear you mate! There are times when I get the golf bug and practice daily, only to play rounds like a busted ass.

I then retire the clubs for a month, play a round, and everything falls into place.

Golf's a funny game. I recently saw a coach as I had a good case of the putting yips. A lot of practice has paid off.

The thing I enjoyed was learning what I was doing wrong, what was right for me, and then practicing the right thing, which lead to improvement and confidence.

Previously I knew I had a problem, assumed what it was, and then research and practice something based on my assumption which then lead to more problems and no confidence.

I love practicing, but as they say perfect practice makes perfect.

For the last couple weeks my irons have felt really good, until yesterday. I made the ball go every direction except where I thought it should go. Left, Right, high, low, but nothing even close to what I had been doing. This game can drive you to drink in a hurry. I also play by myself most of the time. While playing 18 last weekend I noticed that I was being so hard on myself mentally that I wasn't having any fun. Since golf is my only alone time right now I realized I need to work on enjoying it more and being a little less competitive with myself. It's hard because I really want to see my handicap drop. But I make it harder than it has to be by adding tension and frustration to my rounds.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like you're getting that break after all Shanks.

I'm gonna set the over/under of new clubs in your bag upon your return at 9.5

My bid is still over.

Looks like you're getting that break after all Shanks.

I'm gonna set the over/under of new clubs in your bag upon your return at 8.5

My bid is still over.

Haha.

Well...

I'm torn between the Cobra's and the MP-18's. So make your wagers on American Muscle or Import Tuned.

- A.S.

Sent from #nothingfeelslikeamizuno dreamland...

A great choice to have!

They both look great...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Hmm. Wish I had the coin for Miura's... this man speaks the truth.

When asked why he would be introducing a smaller iron when the industry standard now seems to be mid-size and oversize irons, Mr. Miura responded industry fads mean nothing to me. These fads are developed by the marketing departments of the equipment manufacturers simply to boost sales and have little to do with performance.

What I care about is creating the most perfect performing golf clubs for golfers, and different golfers have different preferences. I believe there is a class of golfer who will very much appreciate the qualities of the Small Blade, and I have made this club for these golfers. This club is for two kinds of golfers - the first being the golfer who generally strikes the ball on the sweet spot and who wants to simply enjoy the unique pleasure of a perfect shot hit with a Miura club - the second being the golfer who really wants to improve and is looking for the most intelligent feedback on every shot he or she hits.

Frankly, if people can cleanse their minds of the marketing hype that has been fed to them over the years, they might find that that forged blades are not necessarily only for the single digit handicappers. You are not penalized for mishit shots to the degree people believe and there are many advantages to these clubs, for example the Small Blade cuts through rough more efficiently than any other club....

Hmm. Wish I had the coin for Miura's... this man speaks the truth.

When asked why he would be introducing a smaller iron when the industry standard now seems to be mid-size and oversize irons, Mr. Miura responded industry fads mean nothing to me. These fads are developed by the marketing departments of the equipment manufacturers simply to boost sales and have little to do with performance.

What I care about is creating the most perfect performing golf clubs for golfers, and different golfers have different preferences. I believe there is a class of golfer who will very much appreciate the qualities of the Small Blade, and I have made this club for these golfers. This club is for two kinds of golfers - the first being the golfer who generally strikes the ball on the sweet spot and who wants to simply enjoy the unique pleasure of a perfect shot hit with a Miura club - the second being the golfer who really wants to improve and is looking for the most intelligent feedback on every shot he or she hits.

Frankly, if people can cleanse their minds of the marketing hype that has been fed to them over the years, they might find that that forged blades are not necessarily only for the single digit handicappers. You are not penalized for mishit shots to the degree people believe and there are many advantages to these clubs, for example the Small Blade cuts through rough more efficiently than any other club....

I will need new wedges next year the fitter I use had Muira wedges sitting there I may drop some coin on them because they look amazing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I literally took all summer off of golf.Just recently played my first two rounds since first of may.Cleared my head of all swing thoughts - lesson drills.To my surprise, i shot a 79- 76 after not even picking up a club.

Golf never burns me out.Just trying to improve my swing the last 5 seasons did me in.Maybe it is me, but when one plays golf avid for over 20 years it is almost impossible to change.And makes it even more difficult when our actual season is so short.I can create a pleasant looking swing at 20 mph of speed.But anything full and I can't break 100.Really feel like I failed in my hopes of making a eye pleasing swing motion.I had the patience to make the lesson changes.But my body won't accept it

Playing golf for score isn't bad.Playing while trying to look like a golf swing is impossible for me

Keep it in the short stuff

I've played with guys that have the ugliest swing but drive the ball straight and long. So it's interesting how one adapts their style to the game.

As I wrote on another thread: my wife commented that my practice swings looked perfect then I'd go to hit the ball and I'd drive it into the ground. The actual swing never resembled my practice swings because I was trying to hit the ball hard - after all it is a 'driver'. So now I take a practice swing and hit the ball on my second practice swing - and it goes straight and long. I know it doesn't make sense but it works for me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I've played with guys that have the ugliest swing but drive the ball straight and long. So it's interesting how one adapts their style to the game.

As I wrote on another thread: my wife commented that my practice swings looked perfect then I'd go to hit the ball and I'd drive it into the ground. The actual swing never resembled my practice swings because I was trying to hit the ball hard - after all it is a 'driver'. So now I take a practice swing and hit the ball on my second practice swing - and it goes straight and long. I know it doesn't make sense but it works for me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I've started making a practice swing, then moving a foot forward and making a second practice swing. The second time. Theres a ball in the way though. Has helped out quite a bit!!

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that pal. Take the rehab seriously so it won't happen again. The worst thing you can do is rush back for injuries like that.

Hopefully you'll stick around the forum still.

Confirmed today. My season is 100% over, no golf, not even chipping/putting. (Rotator cuff) Going to learn Spanish instead. Maybe read a book or 40. Have to go back in 2 weeks to get re-evaluated. Here's hoping for a good 2018 season, maybe.

Sorry to hear Shankster. Get healthy and get ready for next season.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

I'm not a Pro by any stretch, but It looks like you need to get Sh!t faced... and then play with the nasty hangover..

Here me out..

It will allow you to Just play golf and hit balls.., you will not be able to focus for sh!t (trust Me).. and "muscle memory" will take over and you will just hit balls, why because you already know how you just need to Let things happen. and when you do that things will be right in Shanksters world again..

I think we have all been there and some of us more often than we want to think about.

Last time I did that it caused the shanks for like 3 weeks. I'm just getting over it now

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Confirmed today. My season is 100% over, no golf, not even chipping/putting. (Rotator cuff) Going to learn Spanish instead. Maybe read a book or 40. Have to go back in 2 weeks to get re-evaluated. Here's hoping for a good 2018 season, maybe.

Sucks too hear, shankster. Take care of the wing.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Dang, sorry to hear buddy! Hopefully come 2018 you'll be good to go and shooting better than ever.

That just means more time to reach milestones on MGS forums, right?

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Archived