Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Taking a Break

Shankster

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Standing too close to the ball is always a problem, particularly when you've just played driver! On a serious note, I go through stages where I get so close to the ball I'm almost setting up left handed. Happens every few months and I need to remind myself to monitor it.

One of the joys of living in a year round golfable (is this a word?) climate, is that I don't need to force myself to play. I just had 4 weeks between rounds due to a combination of vacation and working a Saturday shift. Played really well after the break (except for a series of brain fades on the back 9) after going in with reduced expectations.

I really recommend playing competitive rounds regularly, this will help you with learning to grind out a real score when things aren't working as well as you'd like. Sometimes I'm happier with a reasonable score when I know I'm off, than a good score when everything is on. The days when everything is on should be great scores.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Bobby Jones comment about "the most difficult part of this game is played in the 5 1/2 inches between the ears" rings so true.  I am damn near a scratch golfer on the range- I can hit most of the shots I try, low hook, high fade, exactly what I am trying to pull off.  Putting it into practice on the course, well, that is often a different beast.  And when my draw escapes me, and I am guessing where the driver is going - well, I am lost in that 5 1/2 inches and cant find my way out with both hands and a map. 

When I find myself in this no mans land, I pull out a cigar, perhaps grab an adult beverage, and just let it go- take in the sights, the sounds, nature- look at the beautiful landscape and feel the warm (or cool) breeze on my face -  All things considered, I have been in many worse places- but on a golf course the scenery is great, company is usually pretty good, and nobody is shooting at me!  It could be much worse - so relax, enjoy and know that this will pass- you will again find your way in those 5 1/2 inches, and hope springs eternal!

Good luck 

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

I've had several times where I took a several weeks off just to clear my head.  After the break, I'll go to driving range and just take it slow to make sure I'm swinging correctly and making solid contact.  After a day or two on the range, I'll get back on the course and start playing again.  

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I'm not a Pro by any stretch, but It looks like you need to get Sh!t faced... and then play with the nasty hangover.. 

Here me out.. 

It will allow you to Just play golf and hit balls.., you will not be able to focus for sh!t (trust Me).. and "muscle memory" will take over and you will just hit balls, why because you already know how you just need to Let things happen. and when you do that things will be right in Shanksters world again.. 

I think we have all been there and some of us more often than we want to think about.

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

google search "Mark Grace slumpbuster..."   :D  :P  :lol:

seriously though... grab some impact tape, add it to the face (or use the foot spray), see where your strike is.  minor changes...

choke down on the grip

hit 3/4 shots

shorten the backswing

try not to hit it so far

there are a million things you can do and a million tips but only a few will work for you.  try to make it fun... toss a bucket out there and have a contest with you and the wee ones.  

isn't there an app where you can video your swing and post it and some instructors will make some suggestions?

I wish I could hit the 70's... consider yourself lucky!

...if all else fails there's bowling and fishing; or you can join the American Cornhole League   :)

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Trying to find the correct distance to stand from the ball was something I always struggled with. I was constantly tinkering, always looking for tips on what to do. Since I'm 6'6", posture is a tough one for me. I had the opposite problem, I was standing too far from the ball. I believe that this played a role in my flying left elbow, as a lefty. Just this week I switched things up, stood a lot closer to the ball and bent at the hips a little more. Aaaand, it's worked wonders. I'm able to keep everything connected and my ball striking, at least with my irons, has improved significantly.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I'm not a Pro by any stretch, but It looks like you need to get Sh!t faced... and then play with the nasty hangover..

Here me out..

It will allow you to Just play golf and hit balls.., you will not be able to focus for sh!t (trust Me).. and "muscle memory" will take over and you will just hit balls, why because you already know how you just need to Let things happen. and when you do that things will be right in Shanksters world again..

I think we have all been there and some of us more often than we want to think about.

The ol Tin Cup method. I don't drink, but maybe I'll give it a go.

- Alan

any chance you can play a best ball game next time out? 

the impact of a bad shot isn't as critical and you don't really suffer as severe a penalty as you would when playing your own ball...

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Just focus on your one to keys. Something simple to get the rest of the mind out of the way. Manage your way around the course. The club only needs to be square 1" behind and in front of the ball!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I played ok today so after preaching to you I know attitude adjustments works. 10 strokes better although I'm still working on my setup.

I feel like five more strokes can come off tomorrow because I believe it. Believe you can do it !

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

A couple of guys touched on it earlier - nothing is better for your game than playing some competitive golf - a league - a regular group for a few bucks - something where you have to shoot a score regardless of what is going on with your swing.

That doesn't mean that you give up playing alone which is clearly a great outlet for you. It just means that if you want to learn to be the best golfer possible you need to play some competitive golf to improve.

In the end it's not always about the quality of the swing or the crispness of the shot - it's about the number on the scorecard.

Good luck - your season is too short to take that much time off.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Here's my "fixed" swing. I was too close, and had a major inside takeaway. I'll be out golfing tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/ZzdyoMt3IMU

Did you just lose that ball? Where are you hitting it to?

Sent by carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I had the opposite happen to me recently. Noticed that my posture changed and that caused the ball position to move too far out. Had a bad round and a bad range day and noticed it when I was swinging on my normal carpeted area I hit foam balls at in my house. Couldn't figure it out on the range or while playing i had to be at home to figure it out. Sometimes its the small things that throw us off.

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

https://instagram.com/p/BXBVygFHnsc/

It might be helpful to actually look at the ball when making contact.  When I say "look at the ball", I mean really exaggerate keeping the head down through the follow-through swing.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I subscribed to your YouTube channel. 😁

Looked like a nice strike with a square clubface... Enjoy your round!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Or you could just fix the problem and get back to playing your A$$ off.. that works too.. LOL

good for you Shanks..

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

....you should probably take a break for a while...  :lol:

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Shankster I was thinking about you today buddy.  I had one of those days at the range where all hell broke loose!  :D  I was thinking well I told The Shankster to gird up this loins and get his act together and now I have to do the same! lol   I wasn't hitting hosel rockets however I covered the entire gamut of other uglies.  :blink: Anyways after the first bucket I went back to the clubhouse and picked up another one with the intention to working this thing out. haha some days are not meant to work out no matter how hard you try or how good your intentions are.  I knew it was time to throw in the towel , tuck my tail under and haul my arse back to my pick up truck.  Took nearly a full bucket of range balls and threw in my truck for another day.  Some days we just flat out suck and nothing can be done.  Nuff saif  ;) 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Archived