Yet another problems caused by golfers playing from the wrong tees

Rusty1885

Today I went to play with my friends at a nice championship course. I know this course well because I worked there for a few years when I was in college. Cheap pay but free golf, it was a fair trade.

We paid $85 each to play a rounds, we chose to play from the white tee. After the second holes the pattern started to appear. They move the blues to the white and the black to the blues. No questions, it was an attempt to move the pace along because golfers want to "see it all" and play from the tip, even though they can barely survive shooting under 100 from the ladies tee.

I started seeing the pattern from many muni courses for a while now, never thought it'd be affecting higher tier courses. Soon they'll just eliminate the blue tees creative angle altogether and just have a long tee box marking front middle back. What a shame!

I remember 15 years ago there are different locations for back middle and front tee. Nowadays you just see a row off tees on most course. If we don't change this we'd all be playing from the lamest position the high handicappers can play without too much delay.

Play from the right tee, please people.

• Like 8

Good for them is all that I can say.

It's easy to solve - you have two sets of tees out - Front and Back. They are moved to make holes interesting and different each day as well as to preserve turf (just like they do on tour). If someone shows up with suitable proof that they are capable of playing the tips they are given permission to do so.

Another way to handle it is by conversation between the starter and each group where he provides a recommendation about what tee to play and a reminder that if a group is holding up the course they will be asked to pick up and move forward for the rest of their round.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 9

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

I have seen that before.  But it is usually to let the Back tees grow in before a big tournament, or for a tee box repair or rework.. 

• Like 1

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Cobra F8+ Driver Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedges 54* and 58* versatile grind

Snake eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I know this course and I've played every tees on each holes, I used to play with the junior from the red. The good news is it's still a difficult course, and I still remember all of the popular spots where people lost theit premium balls. I picked up may be 15 pro Vs some looks like they were hit once.

• Like 4

I recently played at a course that had 6 tees! It was ridiculous. They had women's (red), seniors (gold), white, blue. Then random gold/white and white/blue combos.

All the tees were literally a pitching wedge length apart from each other. The tee box looked like a string of Christmas lights.

8hhf0J5.png

I don't have anything substantial to add to this thread. I just wanted to give you props for a good topic.

• Like 4

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I always find it interesting (and frustrating) to watch especially younger players always teeing off on the back tees regardless of their skill level. More often or not they are high handicappers. They're probably thinking the tees forward are for either old people or ladies.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

... It is always frustrating when serious golfers play from the wrong tee because they are not playing the course the way it was designed to be played. Kinda like playing basketball with a 15 foot rim.  That said I played with some really cheerful  Indian guys in LA and while I was playing from 6700 blue they were playing from 7000 black. I was under par thru 9 and they were well over 60 shots each. I asked why they play the back tees as they could take fewer shots from the correct tees at 6200 yd white tees. They said they were trying to take as many shots as possible! They said they would never be good at golf but enjoyed hitting the ball and wanted to get the most for their money and hit it as many times as possible. To their credit they played fast but with so many shots and lost balls it was still a hair on the slow side. But it gave me a new perspective on some people playing the wrong tees. 

• Like 4

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Even at my distance avg of 245 yards, playing from the white is usually more challenging than blue. Many courses I play, the landing zone from the blues are much wider than when I play from the whites. I'm short but consistent, so when I play matches with my buddies who drive about the same distance we often like to pick it up from the white. Target golf is more fun.

That said some time I'd 2 rounds back to back white in the morning and blue right after it, I score about the same and more importantly hit second shots from about the same place as the white tee shots, why not? It's wider landing area.

Joining up with strangers, I always play from the white. Loud and clear, I'm the best players in the group and playing white, you should reconsider joint me.

• Like 2

Read this somewhere: Take your course handicap and subtract it from 142. The remainder equals the slope of the tee box you should play.

• Like 3

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Nippon N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Read this somewhere: Take your course handicap and subtract it from 142. The remainder equals the slope of the tee box you should play.

Then I'm just about spot on at my club.

• Like 2

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

... It is always frustrating when serious golfers play from the wrong tee because they are not playing the course the way it was designed to be played. Kinda like playing basketball with a 15 foot rim. That said I played with some really cheerful Indian guys in LA and while I was playing from 6700 blue they were playing from 7000 black. I was under par thru 9 and they were well over 60 shots each. I asked why they play the back tees as they could take fewer shots from the correct tees at 6200 yd white tees. They said they were trying to take as many shots as possible! They said they would never be good at golf but enjoyed hitting the ball and wanted to get the most for their money and hit it as many times as possible. To their credit they played fast but with so many shots and lost balls it was still a hair on the slow side. But it gave me a new perspective on some people playing the wrong tees.

That's funny - guess they're looking at it from the most "hits per dollar spent" approach

• Like 3

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

That's funny - guess they're looking at it from the most "hits per dollar spent" approach

I've always said golf is a crazy hobby. We spend all this time, effort and money in hopes of playing it less.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I'm over it. Played yesterday and today both from the forward whites. At the end of the day you still have to put the ball in the hole.

• Like 2
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

One of my local courses had 3 tee boxes set up yesterday. Father back whites, a red set just off the fairway and in the fairway they had tee boxes for juniors. They were taking juniors out to practice playing and give them lessons so they had their own tees.

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Yikes!!  Then I should be playing from the Black tees.  I've never played from there, but I know there are 11 holes where based on the yardage I would not reach the green in regulation with my best shots.  This fall, when the course becomes less crowded, I'm going to play the Blacks just to see if I can scramble to a decent score.

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I usually pick the white tees because I've only recently broke 100. Today based on length I picked the Blues(6700). Got my butt kicked on the front 9 but only shot 6 over on the back. I've been hitting the longer clubs well on the range but apparently it didn't convert to the course today. The "hit the most balls for your money" is an interesting approach, I get caught up in the "how much money did I just lose in balls" thought process though.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I've run into all kinds of tee set ups at places I've played. My rule of thumb for myself is to play from a 6300-6600y range because it suits my length off the tee and my iron play where any club in the bag may get pulled.

The problem I have with tee placement is when the guys who play once in a while think they're still in HS and can outhit the yardage. Likewise, I dislike seeing the guys who can hit 250+ off the team and play as far up as they can and insist on rushing through a round. People just need awareness on the course in line with their ability. Same for the guys who ask what iron I hit on a par 3. I've subscribed to the "my XXX yard club" response.

• Like 2

Bag One: :taylormade-small: '16 M2, Tour AD-GP 7S

:adams-small:  XTD Ti 15*, Tour AD-GT 8S

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

:mizuno-small:  MP-H5 4-PW, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 51/08, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 58/10, DG Spinner

:cameron-small:  2012 Newport2, 34"

As long as it is not a tournament, people can play whatever set of tees as they please as long as the play at a solid pace. People forget that they are paying to play golf so it's their choice.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 3