Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Yet another problems caused by golfers playing from the wrong tees

Rusty1885

Today I went to play with my friends at a nice championship course. I know this course well because I worked there for a few years when I was in college. Cheap pay but free golf, it was a fair trade.

We paid $85 each to play a rounds, we chose to play from the white tee. After the second holes the pattern started to appear. They move the blues to the white and the black to the blues. No questions, it was an attempt to move the pace along because golfers want to "see it all" and play from the tip, even though they can barely survive shooting under 100 from the ladies tee.

I started seeing the pattern from many muni courses for a while now, never thought it'd be affecting higher tier courses. Soon they'll just eliminate the blue tees creative angle altogether and just have a long tee box marking front middle back. What a shame!

I remember 15 years ago there are different locations for back middle and front tee. Nowadays you just see a row off tees on most course. If we don't change this we'd all be playing from the lamest position the high handicappers can play without too much delay.

Play from the right tee, please people.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for them is all that I can say.

It's easy to solve - you have two sets of tees out - Front and Back. They are moved to make holes interesting and different each day as well as to preserve turf (just like they do on tour). If someone shows up with suitable proof that they are capable of playing the tips they are given permission to do so.

Another way to handle it is by conversation between the starter and each group where he provides a recommendation about what tee to play and a reminder that if a group is holding up the course they will be asked to pick up and move forward for the rest of their round.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have seen that before.  But it is usually to let the Back tees grow in before a big tournament, or for a tee box repair or rework.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I know this course and I've played every tees on each holes, I used to play with the junior from the red. The good news is it's still a difficult course, and I still remember all of the popular spots where people lost theit premium balls. I picked up may be 15 pro Vs some looks like they were hit once.

I recently played at a course that had 6 tees! It was ridiculous. They had women's (red), seniors (gold), white, blue. Then random gold/white and white/blue combos.

All the tees were literally a pitching wedge length apart from each other. The tee box looked like a string of Christmas lights.

8hhf0J5.png

I don't have anything substantial to add to this thread. I just wanted to give you props for a good topic.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I always find it interesting (and frustrating) to watch especially younger players always teeing off on the back tees regardless of their skill level. More often or not they are high handicappers. They're probably thinking the tees forward are for either old people or ladies.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

... It is always frustrating when serious golfers play from the wrong tee because they are not playing the course the way it was designed to be played. Kinda like playing basketball with a 15 foot rim.  That said I played with some really cheerful  Indian guys in LA and while I was playing from 6700 blue they were playing from 7000 black. I was under par thru 9 and they were well over 60 shots each. I asked why they play the back tees as they could take fewer shots from the correct tees at 6200 yd white tees. They said they were trying to take as many shots as possible! They said they would never be good at golf but enjoyed hitting the ball and wanted to get the most for their money and hit it as many times as possible. To their credit they played fast but with so many shots and lost balls it was still a hair on the slow side. But it gave me a new perspective on some people playing the wrong tees. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Even at my distance avg of 245 yards, playing from the white is usually more challenging than blue. Many courses I play, the landing zone from the blues are much wider than when I play from the whites. I'm short but consistent, so when I play matches with my buddies who drive about the same distance we often like to pick it up from the white. Target golf is more fun.

That said some time I'd 2 rounds back to back white in the morning and blue right after it, I score about the same and more importantly hit second shots from about the same place as the white tee shots, why not? It's wider landing area.

Joining up with strangers, I always play from the white. Loud and clear, I'm the best players in the group and playing white, you should reconsider joint me.

Read this somewhere: Take your course handicap and subtract it from 142. The remainder equals the slope of the tee box you should play.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Read this somewhere: Take your course handicap and subtract it from 142. The remainder equals the slope of the tee box you should play.

Then I'm just about spot on at my club.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

... It is always frustrating when serious golfers play from the wrong tee because they are not playing the course the way it was designed to be played. Kinda like playing basketball with a 15 foot rim. That said I played with some really cheerful Indian guys in LA and while I was playing from 6700 blue they were playing from 7000 black. I was under par thru 9 and they were well over 60 shots each. I asked why they play the back tees as they could take fewer shots from the correct tees at 6200 yd white tees. They said they were trying to take as many shots as possible! They said they would never be good at golf but enjoyed hitting the ball and wanted to get the most for their money and hit it as many times as possible. To their credit they played fast but with so many shots and lost balls it was still a hair on the slow side. But it gave me a new perspective on some people playing the wrong tees.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

That's funny - guess they're looking at it from the most "hits per dollar spent" approach

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'm over it. Played yesterday and today both from the forward whites. At the end of the day you still have to put the ball in the hole.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

One of my local courses had 3 tee boxes set up yesterday. Father back whites, a red set just off the fairway and in the fairway they had tee boxes for juniors. They were taking juniors out to practice playing and give them lessons so they had their own tees.

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yikes!!  Then I should be playing from the Black tees.  I've never played from there, but I know there are 11 holes where based on the yardage I would not reach the green in regulation with my best shots.  This fall, when the course becomes less crowded, I'm going to play the Blacks just to see if I can scramble to a decent score.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I usually pick the white tees because I've only recently broke 100. Today based on length I picked the Blues(6700). Got my butt kicked on the front 9 but only shot 6 over on the back. I've been hitting the longer clubs well on the range but apparently it didn't convert to the course today. The "hit the most balls for your money" is an interesting approach, I get caught up in the "how much money did I just lose in balls" thought process though.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've run into all kinds of tee set ups at places I've played. My rule of thumb for myself is to play from a 6300-6600y range because it suits my length off the tee and my iron play where any club in the bag may get pulled.

The problem I have with tee placement is when the guys who play once in a while think they're still in HS and can outhit the yardage. Likewise, I dislike seeing the guys who can hit 250+ off the team and play as far up as they can and insist on rushing through a round. People just need awareness on the course in line with their ability. Same for the guys who ask what iron I hit on a par 3. I've subscribed to the "my XXX yard club" response.

Bag One: :taylormade-small: '16 M2, Tour AD-GP 7S

:adams-small:  XTD Ti 15*, Tour AD-GT 8S

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

:mizuno-small:  MP-H5 4-PW, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 51/08, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 58/10, DG Spinner

:cameron-small:  2012 Newport2, 34"

As long as it is not a tournament, people can play whatever set of tees as they please as long as the play at a solid pace. People forget that they are paying to play golf so it's their choice.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

... It is always frustrating when serious golfers play from the wrong tee because they are not playing the course the way it was designed to be played. Kinda like playing basketball with a 15 foot rim. That said I played with some really cheerful Indian guys in LA and while I was playing from 6700 blue they were playing from 7000 black. I was under par thru 9 and they were well over 60 shots each. I asked why they play the back tees as they could take fewer shots from the correct tees at 6200 yd white tees. They said they were trying to take as many shots as possible! They said they would never be good at golf but enjoyed hitting the ball and wanted to get the most for their money and hit it as many times as possible. To their credit they played fast but with so many shots and lost balls it was still a hair on the slow side. But it gave me a new perspective on some people playing the wrong tees.

I've heard that B4 about want to hit the balk more . I don't understand it, might as well go to a driving range? Our group moved to the white tees because we're old and get it. Occasionally we'll get an "add on" who's wanting to play from the blues or blacks. We just tell them play where u want but we're not waiting around, we play the hole and move. Usually these guys switch to whites after a hole or 2.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I've heard that B4 about want to hit the balk more . I don't understand it, might as well go to a driving range? Our group moved to the white tees because we're old and get it. Occasionally we'll get an "add on" who's wanting to play from the blues or blacks. We just tell them play where u want but we're not waiting around, we play the hole and move. Usually these guys switch to whites after a hole or 2.

... Basically that is what these guys were doing. Since we kept up with the group in front I didn't have a problem with it. They were very complimentary of my play so they know the game, they just suck at golf but enjoy walking the course and hitting the ball. They said if I saw anything I would like to point out that would be nice but understood if I just wanted to concentrate on my game. I gave them each one tip. And as I said, they were really good guys and I enjoyed my round with them. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... Basically that is what these guys were doing. Since we kept up with the group in front I didn't have a problem with it. They were very complimentary of my play so they know the game, they just suck at golf but enjoy walking the course and hitting the ball. They said if I saw anything I would like to point out that would be nice but understood if I just wanted to concentrate on my game. I gave them each one tip. And as I said, they were really good guys and I enjoyed my round with them.

as long as they kept up to the group in front I'm OK. When they start falling behind I get a bit up tight and messes up my concentration.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I'm fine with any golfer playing the tees that he/she wants as long as their pace of play is acceptable.  For fun I often change tees for a different perspective on a familiar course.  A few weeks ago I made a modest wager with a friend who is somewhat of a high handicapper.  I hit irons only from the red tees, he played from the whites.  By the end of the day I was striping my irons, and enjoyed the change of play style.

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

I'm fine with any golfer playing the tees that he/she wants as long as their pace of play is acceptable. For fun I often change tees for a different perspective on a familiar course. A few weeks ago I made a modest wager with a friend who is somewhat of a high handicapper. I hit irons only from the red tees, he played from the whites. By the end of the day I was striping my irons, and enjoyed the change of play style.

I love taking the woods out of the bag and playing from the forward tees. Always do it with the GF but have done it for fun

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

... It is always frustrating when serious golfers play from the wrong tee because they are not playing the course the way it was designed to be played. Kinda like playing basketball with a 15 foot rim.  That said I played with some really cheerful  Indian guys in LA and while I was playing from 6700 blue they were playing from 7000 black. I was under par thru 9 and they were well over 60 shots each. I asked why they play the back tees as they could take fewer shots from the correct tees at 6200 yd white tees. They said they were trying to take as many shots as possible! They said they would never be good at golf but enjoyed hitting the ball and wanted to get the most for their money and hit it as many times as possible. To their credit they played fast but with so many shots and lost balls it was still a hair on the slow side. But it gave me a new perspective on some people playing the wrong tees.

I played with a 2some a few days ago, both are ok shooters mid 80s one played from the blue and another played from whatever furthest edge of the tee box. A few holes into the round he said pretty much the same thing. He know he's not good but he loves to hit more shots.

I don't have anything substantial to add to this thread. I just wanted to give you props for a good topic.

Seconded

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

It's all about the pace of play. If they play from the black and only hit it 100 yards, that's cool if they get to their ball and hit it again quickly. But if that same group does the old four-man gather around each shot, and then roll to the next ball, gather round, take 30 practice swings, etc, it's a nightmare. But that group is a pain no matter where they hit from.

I like playing from the tips on occasion, just because it's like a new course. And if your hitting the ball well, you can still score.

But we don't dilly dally, and we are typically waiting on the group in front of us

Slow players are slow from whatever box they shoot from. But the high cappers, slow players, from the tips is akin death by a thousand paper cuts

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

It's all about the pace of play. If they play from the black and only hit it 100 yards, that's cool if they get to their ball and hit it again quickly. But if that same group does the old four-man gather around each shot, and then roll to the next ball, gather round, take 30 practice swings, etc, it's a nightmare. But that group is a pain no matter where they hit from.

I like playing from the tips on occasion, just because it's like a new course. And if your hitting the ball well, you can still score.

But we don't dilly dally, and we are typically waiting on the group in front of us

Slow players are slow from whatever box they shoot from. But the high cappers, slow players, from the tips is akin death by a thousand paper cuts

Thd pace is definitely the main issue now it spreads to tee monument marker locations. It seems like the courses just took the easy route and just bunch it together to make it easier. This is definitely the big issue here in California mainly socal, lots of Asians, some well as few are exceptionally good but most are well below a good.

The slowest group from my experience are the juniors. Some are pars and under shooters but their pace is approaching Sunday tour level pace, look at the putts from all angles, 3-5 practice strokes usually follow by utterly shocked and disgusted when they missed. It's kinda sad that they think it's how to play the game.

Never heard that before, that would put me on the Senior tees at my course...LOL

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Archived