TESTERS WANTED! ×

Yet another problems caused by golfers playing from the wrong tees

Rusty1885

Not all high handicappers are slow golfers.  At my course on Saturday mornings, the Ladies group goes off before the Mens group because they are faster and don't want to be held up.  Most of the Ladies shoot in the 90's and 100's with a couple in the 80's and about half of them walk.  They will finish the round in about 3:45.  The Mens group on the other hand mostly ride in carts and can't finish in less than 4:15.  So, I have found that the best time for us to play is after the Ladies and before the Men; there is usually a tee time or two available and we don't have to wait and no one is pushing us!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always find it interesting (and frustrating) to watch especially younger players always teeing off on the back tees regardless of their skill level. More often or not they are high handicappers. They're probably thinking the tees forward are for either old people or ladies.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I got over that when I was 23 and an old man (70+) beat me like a drum.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I always find it interesting (and frustrating) to watch especially younger players always teeing off on the back tees regardless of their skill level. More often or not they are high handicappers. They're probably thinking the tees forward are for either old people or ladies.

We have some foreigners that apparently work at the University that ALWAYS play the back tees.  Most of the time it takes them four or five strokes just to get on a par four hole.  I'm not sure why they insist on not playing the white or regular tees however that's their choice. Whether it's an Ego thing or Napoleon syndrome they insist on playing from the big boy tees.  We were watching them the other day hacking it all over the course and then on the next hole tee it up from the tips again.  :wacko: 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Not all high handicappers are slow golfers. At my course on Saturday mornings, the Ladies group goes off before the Mens group because they are faster and don't want to be held up. Most of the Ladies shoot in the 90's and 100's with a couple in the 80's and about half of them walk. They will finish the round in about 3:45. The Mens group on the other hand mostly ride in carts and can't finish in less than 4:15. So, I have found that the best time for us to play is after the Ladies and before the Men; there is usually a tee time or two available and we don't have to wait and no one is pushing us!!

Strangely this is true more often than not!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

We have some foreigners that apparently work at the University that ALWAYS play the back tees.  Most of the time it takes them four or five strokes just to get on a par four hole.  I'm not sure why they insist on not playing the white or regular tees however that's their choice. Whether it's an Ego thing or Napoleon syndrome they insist on playing from the big boy tees.  We were watching them the other day hacking it all over the course and then on the next hole tee it up from the tips again.  :wacko:

From personal experience playing with my ex girlfriend and joining up with another 2some. Even back then I thought they were clueless about which tee to play from, no, no, no sir. We were standing by the white tees and they were on the blues, group in front just hit and not 150 away, they motioned to my ex to start getting ready and move on to the red tee. My ex said she'd be playing with me from the white.

This displeased them to no end and started cursing in Korean but in a smooth tones so we wouldn't I wouldn't know what they were saying. They were saying that she couldn't hit 100 yards but wants to play from the white and we're going to be here til x'mas. They hit, meh 175 drives, then I hit, then she hit. She's a 5'5" scratch player,who can send it about 235-245. It looked like she hit it 300 yards. On the approach shots both couldn't take their swing back, they chocked like there's no tomorrow. A few holes later my ex said something to them in Korean, it was priceless.

Sadly, she said it happened to her almost every first tee box, as I witness quite a few and it's almost like a broken records. Surely they know playing from the wrong tee would affect the pace of play they just don't give a flying fornication. That's usually my attitude too, when their slow play starts to get on my nerves. I just brush off the conversation and tell them to hit it. Most try to behave themselves though because I'm a much better player last thing they want is to be called out.

On the side note, almost every "Asian" at my club play from the correct tee. Isn't that weird?

From personal experience playing with my ex girlfriend and joining up with another 2some. Even back then I thought they were clueless about which tee to play from, no, no, no sir. We were standing by the white tees and they were on the blues, group in front just hit and not 150 away, they motioned to my ex to start getting ready and move on to the red tee. My ex said she'd be playing with me from the white.

This displeased them to no end and started cursing in Korean but in a smooth tones so we wouldn't I wouldn't know what they were saying. They were saying that she couldn't hit 100 yards but wants to play from the white and we're going to be here til x'mas. They hit, meh 175 drives, then I hit, then she hit. She's a 5'5" scratch player,who can send it about 235-245. It looked like she hit it 300 yards. On the approach shots both couldn't take their swing back, they chocked like there's no tomorrow. A few holes later my ex said something to them in Korean, it was priceless.

Sadly, she said it happened to her almost every first tee box, as I witness quite a few and it's almost like a broken records. Surely they know playing from the wrong tee would affect the pace of play they just don't give a flying fornication. That's usually my attitude too, when their slow play starts to get on my nerves. I just brush off the conversation and tell them to hit it. Most try to behave themselves though because I'm a much better player last thing they want is to be called out.

On the side note, almost every "Asian" at my club play from the correct tee. Isn't that weird?

I wish that was the case here

Cleveland

I wish that was the case here

Me too!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Not all high handicappers are slow golfers.  At my course on Saturday mornings, the Ladies group goes off before the Mens group because they are faster and don't want to be held up.  Most of the Ladies shoot in the 90's and 100's with a couple in the 80's and about half of them walk.  They will finish the round in about 3:45.  The Mens group on the other hand mostly ride in carts and can't finish in less than 4:15.  So, I have found that the best time for us to play is after the Ladies and before the Men; there is usually a tee time or two available and we don't have to wait and no one is pushing us!!

... Amen! My brother in law is about a 5 and one of the slowest golfers I have ever played with. First he has never seen a cart girl that didn't need his attention and gets a drink every time one is near. He is never ready until it is his turn, especially on the greens where he finally stalks his 3 putts from all angles but never before it is his turn to putt. And the group in front or behind never enter into his consciousness. Ironically he doesn't like playing with me because "I am all about playing fast". As if 4:15 minutes is fast. I just look at my putt before it is my turn and am always ready to play when it is my turn on the tee or in the fairway. Thankfully my wife does not like playing with him either as she is even faster than I am even though she shoots in the mid 90's. She says she never wants a man to be able to say women are slow. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... Amen! My brother in law is about a 5 and one of the slowest golfers I have ever played with. First he has never seen a cart girl that didn't need his attention and gets a drink every time one is near. He is never ready until it is his turn, especially on the greens where he finally stalks his 3 putts from all angles but never before it is his turn to putt. And the group in front or behind never enter into his consciousness. Ironically he doesn't like playing with me because "I am all about playing fast". As if 4:15 minutes is fast. I just look at my putt before it is my turn and am always ready to play when it is my turn on the tee or in the fairway. Thankfully my wife does not like playing with him either as she is even faster than I am even though she shoots in the mid 90's. She says she never wants a man to be able to say women are slow.

Funny but very true. Your wife is a wise person.

High handicapper doesn't mean slowest players.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I was thinking of this topic today while hitting balls on the range and watching our Friday morning blue tee group go out. Our course is 6600 yards long at Sea level slope of 140 rating of 73.8 from the blues. I play with them some in the winter but not a chance this time of year because it's not fun. None of their drives reached the 200 yard marker on one. In fact none of their drives were within 30 yards of it. If you aren't reaching one you aren't reaching 4,8, 18 and probably 9. So now you've got a course with 8 par 5's. It's not fun. At least not for me.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I am senior by any definition and with my senior groups or other senior buds, we play from the senior tees.  However, I play quite a bit with younger bucks that play from the regular tees.  While I know I shouldn't, I must admit that it is extremely difficult for me to be the only one playing from the senior tees.   Therefore, unless the yardage difference is massive, I will play the regular tees with them.   To do otherwise seems a bit anti-social to me and they don't need to stop for me to hit.   Moreover, the impact on me will typically be 4 to 5 strokes or so and does not impact my speed of play.   Actually, knowing that I cannot hit the green on my next shot, I go ahead and hit, while the young bucks wait for the green to clear.   Many times, I am the one waiting because some of the better playing young bucks think they can get on in two on a par 5.  

I am senior by any definition and with my senior groups or other senior buds, we play from the senior tees. However, I play quite a bit with younger bucks that play from the regular tees. While I know I shouldn't, I must admit that it is extremely difficult for me to be the only one playing from the senior tees. Therefore, unless the yardage difference is massive, I will play the regular tees with them. To do otherwise seems a bit anti-social to me and they don't need to stop for me to hit. Moreover, the impact on me will typically be 4 to 5 strokes or so and does not impact my speed of play. Actually, knowing that I cannot hit the green on my next shot, I go ahead and hit, while the young bucks wait for the green to clear. Many times, I am the one waiting because some of the better playing young bucks think they can get on in two on a par 5.

Key is the young bucks "think" they can hit the green. I wonder what their % is hitting the green in 2. Maybe more like hitting it in 3.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I was thinking of this topic today while hitting balls on the range and watching our Friday morning blue tee group go out. Our course is 6600 yards long at Sea level slope of 140 rating of 73.8 from the blues. I play with them some in the winter but not a chance this time of year because it's not fun. None of their drives reached the 200 yard marker on one. In fact none of their drives were within 30 yards of it. If you aren't reaching one you aren't reaching 4,8, 18 and probably 9. So now you've got a course with 8 par 5's. It's not fun. At least not for me.

Actually, when the prevailing wind is up, I'm playing 8 par 5's, well... actually 7 par 5's and a par 6 (a 590y par 5 into a 15-25mph breeze).

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

This reply is a mixture of a rant I had stored up.

So I played a well known "good" course yesterday.

There are 4 sets of tees ranging from 7000-5000.

My dad and I played the 6700-6800. And so we're the group in front of us. At one point there were 2 foursomes on the same hole as me and my dad, because the f$'Ker's in front of us sucked. Just plain sucked at golf and had no business out there. They were playing from the same tees we were, not even making the fairway most of the time.

I got so pissed I started yelling at them to hurry the F up. 4 groups behind us quit because it was so slow.

They would all go to eachtothers ball and wait for them to hit... my gosh wtf it's only going 30 feet!!!

Not a single person fixed their ball mark on the green, weren't taking the bunkers.. come on, GTF off the golf course and take up another sport. YOU ARE RUINING THE GAME!!!

This reply is a mixture of a rant I had stored up.

So I played a well known "good" course yesterday.

There are 4 sets of tees ranging from 7000-5000.

My dad and I played the 6700-6800. And so we're the group in front of us. At one point there were 2 foursomes on the same hole as me and my dad, because the f$'Ker's in front of us sucked. Just plain sucked at golf and had no business out there. They were playing from the same tees we were, not even making the fairway most of the time.

I got so pissed I started yelling at them to hurry the F up. 4 groups behind us quit because it was so slow.

They would all go to eachtothers ball and wait for them to hit... my gosh wtf it's only going 30 feet!!!

Not a single person fixed their ball mark on the green, weren't taking the bunkers.. come on, GTF off the golf course and take up another sport. YOU ARE RUINING THE GAME!!!

Unfortunately the players who do not fix their ball marks seems to be increasing. I'm not sure why.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Unfortunately the players who do not fix their ball marks seems to be increasing. I'm not sure why.

They're either lazy or feel privileged or a combo of both! I also detest those butt heads who go in a trap, plow around like a pig in a rooting contest and then just walk out like, I'm not raking that sum biotch.  I mean come on now, something is wrong in the head with those kind of folks. 

Cleveland

They're either lazy or feel privileged or a combo of both! I also detest those butt heads who go in a trap, plow around like a pig in a rooting contest and then just walk out like, I'm not raking that sum biotch. I mean come on now, something is wrong in the head with those kind of folks.

These particular gentlemen were "little princesses" I mean privileged. Leaving beer cans on the fringe, cigars on the tee markers, giving the course the but it doesn't really surprise me one bit. The area I grew up in swells to a large A Hole village in the summer. All of the tourists are millionaires or at least very well off and don't give a rats ass about anything.

- Alan

These particular gentlemen were "little princesses" I mean privileged. Leaving beer cans on the fringe, cigars on the tee markers, giving the course the but it doesn't really surprise me one bit. The area I grew up in swells to a large A Hole village in the summer. All of the tourists are millionaires or at least very well off and don't give a rats ass about anything.

- Alan

I think I would make a good ranger at that course.  Gawd I'd love to jerk a knot in some of those A HOLES!

Cleveland

Come on up!

- Alan

Too frigging cold come this Fall!  You need to come to Georgia  :D 

Cleveland

hahahaha, no kidding. It's only 65° right now. Not supposed to get above 73 for the next week. Where is summer?

- Alan

Well hell yea maybe I do need to come up there!  I love temps in that range  :wub: 

Cleveland

They're either lazy or feel privileged or a combo of both! I also detest those butt heads who go in a trap, plow around like a pig in a rooting contest and then just walk out like, I'm not raking that sum biotch.  I mean come on now, something is wrong in the head with those kind of folks.

Because we have become too civilized and too nice. I know back in the mid 90s you wouldn't be able to get away with this. The rangers would get on your case and kick you off the course.

I play with a few like this from time to time. I'd tell them to fix their ball mark and rake the bunkers, nicely of course. One time it was a guess/member play, the guess was not fixing the ball marks for a few holes and his member partner had to do it for him. So I ask bluntly why do you play here? He got back in line quickly. They know but they just don't do it.

I find the people that don't fix their divots or ball marks at our club are guests.

Shankster at least you didn't have a couple of ladies driving their cart on to the tee box so they wouldn't have to walk from the cart path (note they were in their 20's)

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I find the people that don't fix their divots or ball marks at our club are guests.

Shankster at least you didn't have a couple of ladies driving their cart on to the tee box so they wouldn't have to walk from the cart path (note they were in their 20's)

... Craziness. I see young and in shape 20 somethings drive their cart 6 feet off the cart path to get it next to the tee box or green. I am genuinely perplexed as to why young in shape guys ruin the grass to get a few feet closer. And I see it all the time. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I tend to take a different approach, most often I'm playing by myself during the week so I play how I want and usually no rush but I like playing fast. I like hitting shots I know are a challenge but I am still confident with so I alternate between the whites and blues and pick the distance I want. I know I don't play long so I play my game. I don't use those rounds for handicap but I usually walk off the course feeling pretty good about my game.

Sent via Pony Express

I've encountered a young couple done that before. They were a few holes behind and it just happened to be next to our green so I walked up to them and ask them to move and leave the cart on the path. They did, a few holes later they were speeding down the slope and did the skid across the fairway, I called the pro shop and they were ejected shortly.

I tend to take a different approach, most often I'm playing by myself during the week so I play how I want and usually no rush but I like playing fast. I like hitting shots I know are a challenge but I am still confident with so I alternate between the whites and blues and pick the distance I want. I know I don't play long so I play my game. I don't use those rounds for handicap but I usually walk off the course feeling pretty good about my game.

Sent via Pony Express

Not every blues tee have higher slope rate than white or even red. 2 of the courses the white slope is actually higher than the blue. 135 w/128 b, 142 w/140 b.

Mainly because all of the obstacles and fairways are wider if playing from the blues. Some of the holes from the white hitting the landing area is almost like playing a long par 3s. That's why I love tight and blind shots type course.

Archived