TESTERS WANTED! ×

Yet another problems caused by golfers playing from the wrong tees

Rusty1885

I fixed at least 4 ball marks on every green yesterday. I just don't understand what is so hard about it that some people just ignore it. You have to bend over to get your ball out of the cup, so why not bend over and fix a divot?

I did that all day today...

And my few trips into the beach required massive raking thanks to those who shan't be bothered with such menial labor.

But one time I had to move my ball to get out of a deep footprint, cuz thats ridiculous. But I bogied that hole anyways...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Often, when I am Mr Ranger, I suggest to groups that are def in their 70's to move up to the Gold(Senior) tees so they can have more fun. Usually the reply is...."I've played this course a dozen times and I know my way around."

Just trying to make their day more enjoyable.....

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Often, when I am Mr Ranger, I suggest to groups that are def in their 70's to move up to the Gold(Senior) tees so they can have more fun. Usually the reply is...."I've played this course a dozen times and I know my way around."

Just trying to make their day more enjoyable.....

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

good luck trying to get Seniors to admit their Seniors

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

No worries, mate. Believe me your body lets you know.

mine sure tells me I'm 70, every morning.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Going back to Shankster's rant did he call the pro shop? If that were going on anywhere that is exactly what I would do. More often than not it's because the people don't know what they are doing.

@Foz at least you planted the seed.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Going back to Shankster's rant did he call the pro shop? If that were going on anywhere that is exactly what I would do. More often than not it's because the people don't know what they are doing.

That's the best option, let the Pro Shop handle it. You never know how people react today if u take things in your own hands. Most rangers and Pro Shop managers can handle things much better than players.

Rick

Left Hand, 

A little story here- a couple years ago I was out with my new-to-the-game but very talented (and long- softball player- pull hitter, but buttercuts all day long) girlfriend at my home course, a local muni. It was a packed Sunday afternoon. Hole 5 is a downhill dogleg right at about 280-315 from the men's tees. She plays from the men's, mind you. But she wasn't hitting. Having won honors, she had already laced one down the hill, turned out to be about 285 (it is downhill) I teed up and hit one that was likely in the trees right, and so promptly went to tee up a provisional. Then ONE man from the group behind us walked up onto the tee box and put his finger in my face, complete with cheap, stinky cigar, and literally yells to me "why would you hit another one before you let us play through? Don't you know 'golf etiquette?' why are you two holding up the whole course? Can't you see there's people trying to play here?..." Stunned a bit, I looked at him, and raising my voice a bit, and cutting him off mid rage, told him "the rules of golf dictate I play a provisional, and this will save everyone more time than taking my 5 minutes to find and identify my ball, the try to play it from the trees" (I realize this isn't quite correct), and that if his idea of "golf etiquette is approaching a player during their swing and running at the mouth, "he'd have some thinking to do". I also mentioned in tone he ought to look up and see there are four groups in sight (or there were, maybe two at that time) and he should realize our twosome was keeping up more than adequately. He began anew. Was yelling about "if you can't play, you shouldn't be here" or something similar, and I, raising my voice another notch, continued. "I don't know you, chief, but if you think waving a cheap cigar around and disturbing ladies on a golf course is the thing to do on a Sunday afternoon, I feel sorry for you. I think you want to think about what you say in front of my girl next, and think really hard.".

I don't know how long her hand was on my arm, pulling, but at that point I picked up my ball and tee and headed down the fairway. My ball was in the woods as feared, and I didn't find it. Hers was in the rough, a flip and putt from birdie. She made double. She wouldn't play golf with me for weeks.

The other three in his group said and did nothing. Nothing.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

A little story here- a couple years ago I was out with my new-to-the-game but very talented (and long- softball player- pull hitter, but buttercuts all day long) girlfriend at my home course, a local muni. It was a packed Sunday afternoon. Hole 5 is a downhill dogleg right at about 280-315 from the men's tees. She plays from the men's, mind you. But she wasn't hitting. Having won honors, she had already laced one down the hill, turned out to be about 285 (it is downhill) I teed up and hit one that was likely in the trees right, and so promptly went to tee up a provisional. Then ONE man from the group behind us walked up onto the tee box and put his finger in my face, complete with cheap, stinky cigar, and literally yells to me "why would you hit another one before you let us play through? Don't you know 'golf etiquette?' why are you two holding up the whole course? Can't you see there's people trying to play here?..." Stunned a bit, I looked at him, and raising my voice a bit, and cutting him off mid rage, told him "the rules of golf dictate I play a provisional, and this will save everyone more time than taking my 5 minutes to find and identify my ball, the try to play it from the trees" (I realize this isn't quite correct), and that if his idea of "golf etiquette is approaching a player during their swing and running at the mouth, "he'd have some thinking to do". I also mentioned in tone he ought to look up and see there are four groups in sight (or there were, maybe two at that time) and he should realize our twosome was keeping up more than adequately. He began anew. Was yelling about "if you can't play, you shouldn't be here" or something similar, and I, raising my voice another notch, continued. "I don't know you, chief, but if you think waving a cheap cigar around and disturbing ladies on a golf course is the thing to do on a Sunday afternoon, I feel sorry for you. I think you want to think about what you say in front of my girl next, and think really hard.".

I don't know how long her hand was on my arm, pulling, but at that point I picked up my ball and tee and headed down the fairway. My ball was in the woods as feared, and I didn't find it. Hers was in the rough, a flip and putt from birdie. She made double. She wouldn't play golf with me for weeks.

cant fix stupid. Unfortunately there are aholes everywhere.

U kept it together a lot better than I would.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Pro shop closed at 7, it was just after that. And there wasn't much for cell service there or I would have called them.

- A.S.

Sent from #nothingfeelslikeamizuno dreamland...

One of the challenges we face at my club (predominantly active and retired military officers) is that there are a few who have that "privileged" attitude and don't fix ball marks, leave tees in the ground on the tee  box, and toss cigarettes aside.  I try to fix at least two ball marks every green, and do what I can in and around each tee box.  They are the first to jump on you if your shirt is un-tucked or you don't remove your hat as you walk in the clubhouse, but etiquette on the course is something else...  Not everyone, mind you, just a few who have been retired for years and still want you to address them as General or Admiral - -  been retired more years than they were in...

OK, rant over- just wish they would take care of our course.

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

You are a nice person. I am an ex- hockey player. Junior B. Back in the day. I would have done something differently. ;8)

Sent from my XT1650 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

You are a nice person. I am an ex- hockey player. Junior B. Back in the day. I would have done something differently. ;8)

So am I- got the knuckles and nose to prove it. Maybe we should institute the code on the course too. (Only played one game in junior- 3 shifts, 27 pms and a gamer)

Sent from my XT1650 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

The slowest group from my experience are the juniors. Some are pars and under shooters but their pace is approaching Sunday tour level pace, look at the putts from all angles, 3-5 practice strokes usually follow by utterly shocked and disgusted when they missed. It's kinda sad that they think it's how to play the game.

I'm sorry that's your experience with junior golfers, but I can assure you that's not the case everywhere.  I have a few friends that I play with almost daily in the summer, and we range from around a 2 handicap to a few who are around a plus 2 (similar to the people you described in your post), and even when playing from the back tees which my course doesn't even put tee markers on in order to increase the pace of play, we regularly are waiting on twosomes.  Also when the course is open, 2.5 hours for 18 holes is not unusual.  We just step up and hit the ball, and spend little time lining up balls etc.  

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

I'm sorry that's your experience with junior golfers, but I can assure you that's not the case everywhere. I have a few friends that I play with almost daily in the summer, and we range from around a 2 handicap to a few who are around a plus 2 (similar to the people you described in your post), and even when playing from the back tees which my course doesn't even put tee markers on in order to increase the pace of play, we regularly are waiting on twosomes. Also when the course is open, 2.5 hours for 18 holes is not unusual. We just step up and hit the ball, and spend little time lining up balls etc.

Yeah, absolutely not every junior are slow. I just happened to play with quite a few that were slow. I also play with fast ones as well some were Charlie Hull's fast.

One of the slowest guy I play with is a good friend of mine he's a +2 or more. Tour distance on every club for sure. He's the longest player I've ever play with an I've played with a few pros. He's so slow it's painful but nobody's ever complain because he plays really well and he hits it so far and great off the tee.

I kept my mouth shut too :) till I'm started shooting under par rounds then the trash talk began.

Not sure if someone addressed this earlier but thought I'd put it out there and get some feedback.

I went to one of my favorite course as a single on Sunday morning. I got paired up with 2 nice guys, I'll also say the course I was playing had full tee sheet until about 11:30. We roll up to the first tee and they ask me where I play from, I said the whites and they say they play from the tips. I let them know there's no way I can do that so they quickly suggest the blues and I agree. The blues were still a stretch from me, means a 5 ot 6 vs a 6, 7 or 8 iron. Right on the first tee it was apparent I was much better than them and almost longer, I'm only 215 - 230 off the tee. I suggested on the 4th hole we try the whites (it was a 420 par 4) they laughed it off as joke so I quickly did as well. After that hole I seriously considered just playing from the whites and having more fun.

So that brings me to my question, would it have been wrong to have just said I'm doing it and play from the whites? I know playing from 2 sets of tees slow the round down and it was a crowded fast moving course. We were the slow group out there and I didn't want to screw over everyone behind us but it was just a huge struggle last round and wasn't having the fun I wanted. I'm looking for any type feedback if that's just how it goes and I need to deal or if should have done anything else? Unfortunately this is not the first time I've experienced this type of situation.

Not sure if someone addressed this earlier but thought I'd put it out there and get some feedback.

I went to one of my favorite course as a single on Sunday morning. I got paired up with 2 nice guys, I'll also say the course I was playing had full tee sheet until about 11:30. We roll up to the first tee and they ask me where I play from, I said the whites and they say they play from the tips. I let them know there's no way I can do that so they quickly suggest the blues and I agree. The blues were still a stretch from me, means a 5 ot 6 vs a 6, 7 or 8 iron. Right on the first tee it was apparent I was much better than them and almost longer, I'm only 215 - 230 off the tee. I suggested on the 4th hole we try the whites (it was a 420 par 4) they laughed it off as joke so I quickly did as well. After that hole I seriously considered just playing from the whites and having more fun.

So that brings me to my question, would it have been wrong to have just said I'm doing it and play from the whites? I know playing from 2 sets of tees slow the round down and it was a crowded fast moving course. We were the slow group out there and I didn't want to screw over everyone behind us but it was just a huge struggle last round and wasn't having the fun I wanted. I'm looking for any type feedback if that's just how it goes and I need to deal or if should have done anything else? Unfortunately this is not the first time I've experienced this type of situation.

stuck to your guns, play from where u feel comfortable. If they had any clue they would know they were the slowest group on the course.

Just macho crap. We run into this all the time in FL. Old guys that can't get over their not the studs anymore.

Or in some cases never were.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Not wrong at all!  You play the tees whether up, middle, or back where you have the most fun. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

... I never understand why anyone plays from the "wrong tees" because others in the group are playing from those tee's. Unless you just aren't ready I don't see how multiple tees cause any delay other than a minute or two. I played with a family last year and we tee'd off from 4 different tees and it worked great for everyone. I think it takes much less time to move up a tee box than it is to find errant shots or play extra shots because people are playing from tees that do not match their ability. This brings hazards into play or worse decorative trees/shrubs that are not meant to be in play if playing too far back.

... I also play a lot as a single and whenever people ask me what tees I am playing I tell them and always add "But you should play the tee's where you normally play". I can't count how many times people I am with chose the tee's I am playing from then somewhere in the round move up a tee box or two and have a better time. Of course there are others that just struggle the whole round and at the end say they should have moved up. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I've only been paired up with a "stranger" once while golfing, and it was the worst experience I've ever had golfing. He was a nice enough dude, just slow, and slower.

It would be like staying at a hostile... no thanks. I'll just hit the practice area if I have to get paired up with anyone.

I try to avoid getting paired up with anyone if at all possible.

My dad is 55 had 3 back surgeries, and 2 carpel tunnel surgeries. His golf game is maybe 1/4 of what it was 15 years ago.

He still tries to play the blue tees. So, lately I just say: Dad, we are playing the whites, and not give him an option. Don't want him to have a 4th back operation for a 3 hour golf round.

I've only been paired up with a "stranger" once while golfing, and it was the worst experience I've ever had golfing. He was a nice enough dude, just slow, and slower.

It would be like staying at a hostile... no thanks. I'll just hit the practice area if I have to get paired up with anyone.

... To each his own but I have been paired up with some really nice people. Because I love to play as much as possible and my schedule rarely lets me book more than 1 day in advance, I play a lot as a single. I really enjoy meeting new people on the golf course as 9 out of 10 times they are great partners. It is only once in a blue moon that I get paired up with an a$$hat. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... To each his own but I have been paired up with some really nice people. Because I love to play as much as possible and my schedule rarely lets me book more than 1 day in advance, I play a lot as a single. I really enjoy meeting new people on the golf course as 9 out of 10 times they are great partners. It is only once in a blue moon that I get paired up with an a$$hat.

I might enjoy it elsewhere, I'd be up for it with any of MGS members. Just not here.

- A.S.

Sent from #nothingfeelslikeamizuno dreamland...

I also enjoy meeting new people and have made friends on the course. I saw one of those friends today. I hadn't seen him in three years and he showed up at my church this afternoon to say hi. He talked his kids int enrolling his grand daughter at our school.

We are playing next Tuesday!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My dad is 55 had 3 back surgeries, and 2 carpel tunnel surgeries. His golf game is maybe 1/4 of what it was 15 years ago.

He still tries to play the blue tees. So, lately I just say: Dad, we are playing the whites, and not give him an option. Don't want him to have a 4th back operation for a 3 hour golf round.

I most always get put with people that are nice and most always have fun. But down here it's a common thing to get paired with tourists and usually they are looking to have a good time. I have only had one nightmare round, it was an older couple. The woman would line up addressing the ball facing the opposite direction she wanted to hit, then turn walk around 180 degrees facing the pin and proceed to hit. She would take practice swings facing both ways. At first it was comical but grew old REAL fast. At the turn I happen to see the ranger, a guy I've talked with a bunch and is super nice, knows how to do his job and is super easy going and mentioned it to him. A hole or two later he drives up to me laughing saying he's never seen anything like it. He asked the couple to pick the pace up as we were playing slow. I'll just say it went down hill from there fast as they didn't take his comments well. It was that round I really understand playing with the wrong people can really take you out of your grove and make for a rough 4 or 5 hrs. The cool thing was he did give me a 9 hole rain check and apologized.

Had the other side this morning. We were short a guy in one of our 4somes. A guy showed up (signed up on line) and couldn't have been better. Played from any tees we wanted, played quickly, not extremely well but more than adequate. He was fine.

He said after the round that he get nervous playing with guys he didn't know but we were the most fun he's had. He didn't know BB could be that much fun.

Finished well under 4 hours.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I also enjoy meeting new people and have made friends on the course. I saw one of those friends today. I hadn't seen him in three years and he showed up at my church this afternoon to say hi. He talked his kids int enrolling his grand daughter at our school.

We are playing next Tuesday!

I like playing with new people as well. I mostly play alone the rest of the week so when I'm out playing at the munies I don't mind paring up with anyone including a 4some. It's becoming quite a common thing now 5some.

@DaN, I usually play from the white when paring with strangers hopefully one day it would get through their thick skulls that if the best player in the group is playing from the white may be they should rethink where they want to play from next time. There's no pressure for me, as I feel no need to join them from any tee, they should feel the pressure to join me.

Archived