TESTERS WANTED! ×

Looking for a new driver

I am a mid to high handicapper and I am looking for a new driver. I have been using a Titleist 909 D2 for the last couple of years but think it's time for an upgrade. Does anyone have any suggestions for what will give me the maximum length and forgiveness?

I don't have any extensive testing, but I enjoyed the F7+, and the G when I hit them. I am looking for a Srixon to hit, I like the clean no frills stuff.

But you'll find a ton of good info, if the search doesn't work for you try:

Google "MyGolfSpy (topic you are looking for)" it usually gets me where I need to be.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

the 2017 M2 may not be the best fit for you but you would be doing yourself an injustice by not trying it out IMO.

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

Makes no sense to suggest a driver without proper fitting, so people will probably just chime-in with their gamer... so here I go: try the GBB Epic :lol:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Makes no sense to suggest a driver without proper fitting, so people will probably just chime-in with their gamer... so here I go: try the GBB Epic :lol:

This is true but it was just to get a general feel for what people were liking at the moment.

I still like some of my older drivers I play the srixon z355 and sometimes put my R1 back in the bag. I tested all the MGS drivers and while some failed to perform I got basically the same performance from them all. A lot will come down to how consistently hit the center of the face and how optimizer the club settings and shaft are for your swing. If you just want to pick up a new driver without being fitted most will suit you needs

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If you can't or won't get fit, go hit a bunch and play what feel good to you and gives you the numbers your looking for.. 

I happen to play the Ping G30 LS TEC because it works for me.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I'm going to get fitted this weekend but was just looking to see what people were playing with and like. It's just more out of curiosity than anything else.

I like my Cobra F6 and for the money,,,, that Dawg will hunt !

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

LOVE my Epic. I am thoroughly satisfied with the performance, and the feel is amazing when you pure it. I like being able to feel where I hit it on the face, with some other drivers I've tried, including my old gamer, it just felt like a rock every time.

I liked the M2 as well, I really enjoyed the sound, though other people say they don't like it. I wish my TM fitting went better, but they had no launch monitor and it just felt half-assed.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I recently hit several drivers during a slow day at Golf Galaxy....basically got the guy to give me a free fitting. I hit only stock shafts just to see what I liked as far as setup and sound.

Epic

Epic SZ

M1

M2

F7

F7+

They didn't have any Srixon drivers to hit

I was surprised to find the F7 fit me best and gave me the best numbers, the Epic was next

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I know it's another older driver but for me it's still performed great. The cobra fly z+ has been a staple in my bag for a while now. I am a big fan of the cobra drivers and in testing it head to head with the f7+ it was still very similar with little separating the two. However the cobra connect feature is a great plus for the newer models

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I am a mid to high handicapper and I am looking for a new driver. I have been using a Titleist 909 D2 for the last couple of years but think it's time for an upgrade. Does anyone have any suggestions for what will give me the maximum length and forgiveness?

I guess it depends on your definition of an "upgrade". I play the original Cleveland Launcher and have no problems getting distance. It is a 330cc head which is so solid. I've changed the shaft a few times but love this head. I guess my primary question is "what do you feel you're missing out on with your current driver"?

Sent from my LGLS992 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I need a 375-400cc driver. I've come to the conclusion that bigger isn't better. Since I've been driverless (besides my week of oh sh!ts) my 3 wood has been the course tamer.

Why are drivers so giant? I seriously don't get it. You could have the same face size in a smaller package. And look at the new data from PING, smaller is faster. Faster is longer. Longer is better.

Big huge clubheads are funky looking.

Closest I can get is the Srixon or Honma. At 445...

M1 us 440

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have put this year's M1/M1 440/M2, the new Ping G400 LST, AND the 2016 M1/M1 440 up against my Epic SZ and not a single one of them could beat it. Now, I'm basically fitted perfectly with this club, and others have found better results in the clubs where I didn't, but the SZ is legit. Go get fitted, if possible.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Smaller is faster, yes. The reason for going bigger was to increase forgiveness. But to get the increase in forgiveness, you had to give up a little speed due to the extra resistance due to the increase in size. So to compensate that, everybody went to longer drivers. Again, at the sacrifice of ball-striking, accuracy, and consistency. The 2 longest drivers I ever hit were an old Maxfli stainless driver, and the first Golfsmith Hi-cor driver. That thing was a beast! I'm currently hitting a Fly-Z with the Wave shaft in it. Is it longer and better than anything/everything else? No. But it is good. And I got the head on ebay for $20 after it had been demoed, all I had to do was get the shaft.

My Fly-z is also a good stick. But I also always forget about the Air Force One sitting in my basement. It currently needs a shaft, but that thing is also a bomber. Can also be found (usually) on the cheap, and is also available in component form.

Archived