Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

[article] Is Bernhard Langer's putting stroke cheating?

STUDque

Thought this was a good read:

Bernhard Langer sounds fed up with the cheating accusations surrounding his putting stroke

Personally, I've seen that stroke as a super gray area. He walks that ruling line super close if you watch him putt. In my mind, there's no way he goes a whole round without anchoring to his body at least once. Even if it's on accident.

I tend to think a regulation on absolute maximum putter length would solve this problem since you can't anchor something that doesn't reach your chest in the first place.

Sent by carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I took a hard look at the USGA guidance about this the other day. It says very plainly that pinning the forearm down to the body in any way is not allowed. It also says very plainly that pinning the elbow down to the body IS allowed. I think the real question with these guys has less to do with the grip hand and more to do with what part of the body are they anchoring? Forearm or elbow? My guess is the USGA has told them they are not anchoring the forearm, but it sure does look awfully tight to the body

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Just let guys putt with whatever and however they want. The whole thing is ridiculous.

I've always thought the same thing!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Just let guys putt with whatever and however they want. The whole thing is ridiculous.

I'm with you. The game is better if Scott, Bradley, and Simpson can compete too.

Although Scott's celebration at the Masters looked weird with the super long putter.

As a spectator, no one wants to see this. Yuck!

IMG_4540.PNG

*Please forgive the crappy Photoshop

Sent by carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

His forearm is dangerously close to his body, I'm sure he brushes it from time to time.

I think the whole anchoring ban is stupid

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I have a hard time believing he's not anchoring on some of those putts.  I doubt anybody would ever say anything to him about it though.  I think they ought to allow those putters, though. It's not like those guys were winning every week on tour.  

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I can't say whether he is or isn't as I haven't been two feet away from him to see.

that said, I was about 4 feet away from him in a press conference two weeks ago when he talked about it.  And the tone from this article is exactly how he felt that day.  He wasn't upset and complaining, he was actually very hurt or disappointed that people would think he was still anchoring or cheating.   But he said he was going to let the noise go by and as long as the USGA and PGA Rules officials say he's ok, that's good enough for him. 

He was very sincere in his comments and talked to us at length about it. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Sam Snead was a ferocious putter before they changed it on him. When people do strange things and have success and don't look like everyone else. People complain.

It is my understanding that anchored putting was not something new; that it has been allowed and used for at least 20 years.  It was only after some using that method won some significant tournaments that it became an issue.  Sometimes, jealousy can become an ugly cloak that some do not wear well.

It is my opinion, underscore opinion, that the anchoring ban and its debate did more to hurt the growth of the game then it helped.

It was funny to see Ian Woosnan with the same type putter as he was in Langer's group. I don't think Woozy gives a rats arse about what they think about him... 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

One thing they kept talking about is intent. I think somewhere in the rules it talks about the intent of the player. That's the gray area in the rule, it's not absolute, the wording to the rule needs to change. At least that is what heard them talking about.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

One thing they kept talking about is intent. I think somewhere in the rules it talks about the intent of the player. That's the gray area in the rule, it's not absolute, the wording to the rule needs to change. At least that is what heard them talking about.

Intent is not mentioned in the rule.  It's mentioned by the media.  If I take a swing at the ball and miss, it should be obvious if my intent is to hit the ball or take a practice swing.  Kevin Na?

Lexi mis-marked her ball.  I don't think that was her intent, but she was penalized. No further discussion on that please!!

Any rule should be clear; this one isn't.  If the club, hand or forearm is touching the body during the stroke, it's a penalty.  If the playing partner can't tell one way or the other, it's a bad rule.  There should be no controversy; either it's clearly an infraction or it isn't.  If this problem persists, it just perpetuates the argument that the USGA and R&A can not establish equitable rules for our game.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Weren't there talks about revamping the entire rulebook? Last I heard, they were trying to get that released before next season.

Can't wait to see the s*storm that'll create.

Weren't there talks about revamping the entire rulebook? Last I heard, they were trying to get that released before next season.

Can't wait to see the s*storm that'll create.

Not next year... 2019.

Most of the changes are reasonable and the are still accepting comments for new rules.  A thread that discusses proposed changes is

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/18413-proposed-new-rules-of-golf/

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Intent is not mentioned in the rule. It's mentioned by the media. If I take a swing at the ball and miss, it should be obvious if my intent is to hit the ball or take a practice swing. Kevin Na?

Lexi mis-marked her ball. I don't think that was her intent, but she was penalized. No further discussion on that please!!

Any rule should be clear; this one isn't. If the club, hand or forearm is touching the body during the stroke, it's a penalty. If the playing partner can't tell one way or the other, it's a bad rule. There should be no controversy; either it's clearly an infraction or it isn't. If this problem persists, it just perpetuates the argument that the USGA and R&A can not establish equitable rules for our game.

No doubt the rules needs some work. he moves the hand and end of the shaft away before making the stroke, that's what the rule wants him to do. The rules committee has gone over video of all the complaints, and haven't penalized him, so how are we to throw the guy under the bus, and say he's cheating. Is he taking advantage of the rules, probably so, but the way they are written currently, he is following them.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I still think the USGA & R&A really screwed this up...either get rid of the ban or make it where the putter has to be the shortest club in the bag.

The video sure makes it look like he is anchoring the forearm

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Needs to be cut and dry, too much grey here! If there is room for this much discussion it probably is a bad rule. Just my .02

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Archived