30 replies to this topic

#1 CaffeineAndPinSeeking

CaffeineAndPinSeeking

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:38 PM

Questions about Vice Balls are at the bottom. Below is my story on issues I have had with the Vice Pro Plus.

I purchased my first box of Vice Pro Plus (Neon Red) in June. My first impression of the ball was excellent. I really thought it could hold up to a ProVX and it actually felt better for my wedge control than a ProVX. Then, I picked up my ball on a par 3 after hitting a 7 iron and found damage on the cover. Didn't hit a rock or cart path and I checked to make sure my club face was clean. I noticed other balls from the batch I played got scuffed very easily. I wanted to keep playing them, because it was an excellent ball at an amazing price. I thought the red cover may have caused it to be more susceptible to damage so I got the next box in white. On the 4th hole of the last 18 I played, I hit a 5 iron of the fairway and found my ball with very similar damage to the red one I had hit with a 7 iron off a tee about 1 month earlier. I did pick at the coating on the white one to try and see underneath to the core, but the damage didn't go that deep. I also started questioning whether these balls lost some distance after 4 or 5 holes (2-3 drives and 2-3 iron shots).

Questions

Has anyone else noticed distance issues with Vice balls after hitting a few shots with one ball?

Has anyone else had issues with the cover on the ball getting damaged easily?

Should I give Vice a 3rd chance or go back to TP5X or ProVX
IMG_0225.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

#2 Lefty

Lefty

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Handicap:9

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:02 PM

It's interesting that you bring this issue up. I had the same thing happen to me last weekend. My ball looked similar to yours after I picked it up on the green.

I really like the feel of the Vice balls but don't like the cover issues.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

#3 STUDque

STUDque

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Handicap:10

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:07 PM

Very interesting to me because the Vice testers (from what I remember) are raving about the durability of the ball. Would love to hear from them on this matter.

What's in the bag?

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 (Aldila Rogue Silver X)

Wood: Ping i25 (stock x-flex)

Irons: TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC (+.5" / up 2* / stiff / mid grip)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52,56,60

Putter: STX SS6

Cart: Cliqgear 3.5+ (walk almost every round)

#4 TSauer

TSauer

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:24 PM

Back when I tested the Vice Pro Soft, I never had any issues as far as the cover and how durable it was. They always held up fine for me.

In my Ogio Nimbus bag

Driver :cobra-small:  King F7+

Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small:  XR 3W

Hybrid:  :nike-small:  Vapor Flex 4H

Irons:  :ping-small:  G25 (4-PW)

Wedges:  :callaway-small:  MD3 52/56/60

Putter:  MLA Tour XDream

#5 yungkory

yungkory

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 580 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, HI
  • Handicap:12

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:35 PM

I played the same Pro+ for 9 holes yesterday and it was fine. I didn't hit more than 1 full wedge though, so maybe they would get chewed up more on full wedges, I'm mostly taking 3/4 at most.

Off of a tree, I've had them scuff though for sure. :D Never tried the neon ones, but I'm interested in trying them.

Driver:  :callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5 HZRDUS 6.0 55g
3w:  :callaway-small: XR16 Fuji Speeder Evo 565 S
Irons 3-PW:   :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Tour NS Pro Modus3 105 S
Wedges:  :callaway-small:  MD3 52.10, 56.10 & 60.08
Putter:   :cameron-small:  Cameron & Crown Newport

#6 CaffeineAndPinSeeking

CaffeineAndPinSeeking

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:42 AM

I played the same Pro+ for 9 holes yesterday and it was fine. I didn't hit more than 1 full wedge though, so maybe they would get chewed up more on full wedges, I'm mostly taking 3/4 at most.

Off of a tree, I've had them scuff though for sure. :D Never tried the neon ones, but I'm interested in trying them.

I really liked the neon red, it was easy to track the ball flight and for some reason felt more comfortable putting.

#7 CaffeineAndPinSeeking

CaffeineAndPinSeeking

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:46 AM

Very interesting to me because the Vice testers (from what I remember) are raving about the durability of the ball. Would love to hear from them on this matter.

I agree, I remember watching some reviews talk about the durability which made it even more frustrating. I was seriously looking at all possibilities of it hitting a rock, or anything on the green to cause it. I also double checked my club faces and couldn't find any reason for the damage on them.

#8 tommc23

tommc23

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:47 AM

I've been playing them for a year now and I've had this happen quite a few times. It happens randomly out of no where and only one out of the sleeve does it. My puppy grabs balls occasionally when I chip in my yard and she beats them up more than titelist. Still play them regularly and used 1 ball for 29 holes 2 weeks ago. Used one for 8 holes today no issue.

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

#9 mdumble21

mdumble21

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia
  • Handicap:9

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:09 AM

I'm one of the testers for the upcoming Vice Pro ball test. I've found that the whilst the Vice Pro ball does tend to fade a little, it doesn't really any further than that - this was with a ball I've been using for the last 2 rounds. It's certainly faring better than the current model Titleist Pro V1. 

Driver: Titliest 915 D3 (9.5) with Fujikura Speeder Shaft 757 (Tour Stiff)

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Irons: PING i200 3-PW in XP 95 shafts with S300 flex

Wedges: Callaway MD2 - 52, 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade Rosca Daytona I

Golf Ball: Callaway ChromeSofts/Titliest Pro V1 ('17)/Vice Pro

#10 CaffeineAndPinSeeking

CaffeineAndPinSeeking

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:44 PM

I've been playing them for a year now and I've had this happen quite a few times. It happens randomly out of no where and only one out of the sleeve does it. My puppy grabs balls occasionally when I chip in my yard and she beats them up more than titelist. Still play them regularly and used 1 ball for 29 holes 2 weeks ago. Used one for 8 holes today no issue.

Thank you, I was hoping the issue was isolated to just a few random balls. Did you notice a difference in the neon vs white?

#11 CaffeineAndPinSeeking

CaffeineAndPinSeeking

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:47 PM

I'm one of the testers for the upcoming Vice Pro ball test. I've found that the whilst the Vice Pro ball does tend to fade a little, it doesn't really any further than that - this was with a ball I've been using for the last 2 rounds. It's certainly faring better than the current model Titleist Pro V1.

Just for clarification, are you saying the "fade a little" means it moves left to right of target (for right handed golfers) or it has a loss of distance?

#12 STUDque

STUDque

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Handicap:10

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:05 PM

Loss of distance would be a much bigger worry than the cover scuffing. Covers can scuff on any well-struck ball really.

Are you noticing the loss of distance with totally clean balls too?

What's in the bag?

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 (Aldila Rogue Silver X)

Wood: Ping i25 (stock x-flex)

Irons: TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC (+.5" / up 2* / stiff / mid grip)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52,56,60

Putter: STX SS6

Cart: Cliqgear 3.5+ (walk almost every round)

#13 CaffeineAndPinSeeking

CaffeineAndPinSeeking

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 05:33 PM

Loss of distance would be a much bigger worry than the cover scuffing. Covers can scuff on any well-struck ball really.

Are you noticing the loss of distance with totally clean balls too?

Yes, it seemed like it anyway. I honestly wasn't doing that great of a job with tracking my shots but on a course I play regularly I noticed I was 10-15 yards shy of where I typically am. I think I am going to give them another try and track them closely.

#14 yungkory

yungkory

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 580 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, HI
  • Handicap:12

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:13 PM

Just for clarification, are you saying the "fade a little" means it moves left to right of target (for right handed golfers) or it has a loss of distance?

I think he was referring to the color fading

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5 HZRDUS 6.0 55g
3w:  :callaway-small: XR16 Fuji Speeder Evo 565 S
Irons 3-PW:   :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Tour NS Pro Modus3 105 S
Wedges:  :callaway-small:  MD3 52.10, 56.10 & 60.08
Putter:   :cameron-small:  Cameron & Crown Newport

#15 tommc23

tommc23

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:36 PM

I never used the neon only white so I cannot answer that. I have not noticed a loss in distance when using them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Our Sponsors