TESTERS WANTED! ×

Give Vice a 3rd Chance?

Questions about Vice Balls are at the bottom. Below is my story on issues I have had with the Vice Pro Plus.

I purchased my first box of Vice Pro Plus (Neon Red) in June. My first impression of the ball was excellent. I really thought it could hold up to a ProVX and it actually felt better for my wedge control than a ProVX. Then, I picked up my ball on a par 3 after hitting a 7 iron and found damage on the cover. Didn't hit a rock or cart path and I checked to make sure my club face was clean. I noticed other balls from the batch I played got scuffed very easily. I wanted to keep playing them, because it was an excellent ball at an amazing price. I thought the red cover may have caused it to be more susceptible to damage so I got the next box in white. On the 4th hole of the last 18 I played, I hit a 5 iron of the fairway and found my ball with very similar damage to the red one I had hit with a 7 iron off a tee about 1 month earlier. I did pick at the coating on the white one to try and see underneath to the core, but the damage didn't go that deep. I also started questioning whether these balls lost some distance after 4 or 5 holes (2-3 drives and 2-3 iron shots).

Questions

Has anyone else noticed distance issues with Vice balls after hitting a few shots with one ball?

Has anyone else had issues with the cover on the ball getting damaged easily?

Should I give Vice a 3rd chance or go back to TP5X or ProVX

IMG_0225.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

It's interesting that you bring this issue up. I had the same thing happen to me last weekend. My ball looked similar to yours after I picked it up on the green.

I really like the feel of the Vice balls but don't like the cover issues.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Very interesting to me because the Vice testers (from what I remember) are raving about the durability of the ball. Would love to hear from them on this matter.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Back when I tested the Vice Pro Soft, I never had any issues as far as the cover and how durable it was. They always held up fine for me.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I played the same Pro+ for 9 holes yesterday and it was fine. I didn't hit more than 1 full wedge though, so maybe they would get chewed up more on full wedges, I'm mostly taking 3/4 at most.

Off of a tree, I've had them scuff though for sure. :D Never tried the neon ones, but I'm interested in trying them.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I played the same Pro+ for 9 holes yesterday and it was fine. I didn't hit more than 1 full wedge though, so maybe they would get chewed up more on full wedges, I'm mostly taking 3/4 at most.

Off of a tree, I've had them scuff though for sure. :D Never tried the neon ones, but I'm interested in trying them.

I really liked the neon red, it was easy to track the ball flight and for some reason felt more comfortable putting.

Very interesting to me because the Vice testers (from what I remember) are raving about the durability of the ball. Would love to hear from them on this matter.

I agree, I remember watching some reviews talk about the durability which made it even more frustrating. I was seriously looking at all possibilities of it hitting a rock, or anything on the green to cause it. I also double checked my club faces and couldn't find any reason for the damage on them.

I've been playing them for a year now and I've had this happen quite a few times. It happens randomly out of no where and only one out of the sleeve does it. My puppy grabs balls occasionally when I chip in my yard and she beats them up more than titelist. Still play them regularly and used 1 ball for 29 holes 2 weeks ago. Used one for 8 holes today no issue.

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm one of the testers for the upcoming Vice Pro ball test. I've found that the whilst the Vice Pro ball does tend to fade a little, it doesn't really any further than that - this was with a ball I've been using for the last 2 rounds. It's certainly faring better than the current model Titleist Pro V1. 

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

I've been playing them for a year now and I've had this happen quite a few times. It happens randomly out of no where and only one out of the sleeve does it. My puppy grabs balls occasionally when I chip in my yard and she beats them up more than titelist. Still play them regularly and used 1 ball for 29 holes 2 weeks ago. Used one for 8 holes today no issue.

Thank you, I was hoping the issue was isolated to just a few random balls. Did you notice a difference in the neon vs white?

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm one of the testers for the upcoming Vice Pro ball test. I've found that the whilst the Vice Pro ball does tend to fade a little, it doesn't really any further than that - this was with a ball I've been using for the last 2 rounds. It's certainly faring better than the current model Titleist Pro V1.

Just for clarification, are you saying the "fade a little" means it moves left to right of target (for right handed golfers) or it has a loss of distance?

Loss of distance would be a much bigger worry than the cover scuffing. Covers can scuff on any well-struck ball really.

Are you noticing the loss of distance with totally clean balls too?

Loss of distance would be a much bigger worry than the cover scuffing. Covers can scuff on any well-struck ball really.

Are you noticing the loss of distance with totally clean balls too?

Yes, it seemed like it anyway. I honestly wasn't doing that great of a job with tracking my shots but on a course I play regularly I noticed I was 10-15 yards shy of where I typically am. I think I am going to give them another try and track them closely.

Just for clarification, are you saying the "fade a little" means it moves left to right of target (for right handed golfers) or it has a loss of distance?

I think he was referring to the color fading

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Hmm, this is very interesting I've played Vice balls before and never saw this kind of issues.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I really wanted to like Vice products. I found the Pro+ balls scuff up badly after 9 holes (no cart paths, trees, just general use) and don't perform as well as other brands for me.

Longevity wise, the TP5, Bridgestone B330s, and Chrome Softs are better.

I haven't yet had a chance to test out the Vice balls, but if they are scuffing that easily, even if it's only a few per box, that's a definite no-go for me.  Balls are way too expensive to be replacing them that often, especially when there is no reason for it. 

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I bought 5 dozen of the neon pro plus and figured I'd give them a try. The balls weren't as red as I hoped, I guess I am more in love with Volviks flat red and was hopping it would be close. I am about halfway through and think it's more worth it to try and catch bogo sales on your preferred ball. There are several spots on the Vice balls where I see gray spots, like gaps in the Neon Red finish. Also it seems maybe those increase as I continue to bash them. Only a few scuffs but nothing major. As far as distance, I just switched to the Srixon z765 and my 7 tee shots with it and the Vice yesterday averaged 326, but I find with my wedges and irons it falls just a few yards short of where my B330 would be. $25 a box isn't bad and I'm sure the product will only improve.

I've only played a Vice (probably their top ball. Given to me by Texas2Cap) one round. The ball felt good off all clubs and had same distance I get with other balls I use. But, I did notice the ball looked old after one round. Wasn't nearly as white as other balls under same situation.

Other than that not a bad ball.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

i've tried the yellow vice balls and it was like playing with a bouncy ball. didn't like the feel of the cover and was harsh feel with my putter and wedges and irons. i might give them another try but too afraid i'll regret purchasing em.

• 1 month later...

I've played the Vice Pro and Pro+ and have fallen in love with how good they feel.  I also haven't seen any abnormal ball wear compared against Titleist ProV1s or the Bridgestone TOUR B330s I've rotated in.

Currently Playing:

• Callaway Epic MAX LS
  • TaylorMade SIM2 Titanium
  • Callaway X-Forged Utility
  • Srixon Z765
  • Cleveland RTX4
  • Evnroll ER1.2

I didn't notice much difference than pro v1/x both vice and the pro v1s lose their luster vs Taylormade tps or Srixon zvs, but they performed just as good.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to come back and give an update. Vice is sending me some replacement balls in hopes it was a small batch defect. I tried the Vice Pro Soft... They are amazing! I was hesitant to use them at first because their ball recommender told me to go with the Pro Plus. After other reviews I read on the Pro Soft I wanted to try them. The ball was amazing off the tee box, and incredible with any iron or wedge. The ball was the most consistent ball with distances I have played in a while, and the only time it trickled off the green was when the pin was on the back edge of the green and the ball did what I wanted, I just hit a low one-check runner a little too far and it made it to the fringe. The ball was completely blemish free the entire round, not even a scratch. I'm definitely a Pro Soft fan now and I hope they make the Pro and Pro Plus with the same cover. Cheers, and happy pin seeking!

I will preface this by saying that these are my first pick. For the price, these are the best value ball on the market.

I was very disappointed in the cover durability in the Pro Plus. The distance was great and I really like the feel and spin off all clubs.

At the end of the day it hasn't been enough to make me switch and I will continue to game these.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

As a Vic3 Pro Soft tester, I experienced very little club damage, if any, to the ball. R3member, the Vice Pro Soft has a different cover and D3an Snell said recently that color pigments cause the balls to react differently.

If you are not a 95 - 100+ mph swinger, then the Pro Soft will be your ball.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

As a Vic3 Pro Soft tester, I experienced very little club damage, if any, to the ball. R3member, the Vice Pro Soft has a different cover and D3an Snell said recently that color pigments cause the balls to react differently.

If you are not a 95 - 100+ mph swinger, then the Pro Soft will be your ball.

I never thought the pigments could directly affect the performance. I wonder if it has something to do with the cover compound during compression.

I have always wonder why there never was a large selection of color choices. I just thought there was no market for them therefore the manufacturers never made them.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I never thought the pigments could directly affect the performance. I wonder if it has something to do with the cover compound during compression.

I have always wonder why there never was a large selection of color choices. I just thought there was no market for them therefore the manufacturers never made them.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'll bet it's something along the lines of mixing paint. The base is white and that's the standard coating. Then when you add color, the dye thickens up the paint which leaves a thicker coat that almost acts like one extra layer of the ball.

I could be way off but that's the impression I get. The dimples never seem to be as deep on colored balls.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Dean Snell said that the pigment for color changes the compound and makes it difficult to ensure the same quality as the white.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Had my first chance to play the Vice Pro yesterday. Thought the durability was good, even though I had heard some disparaging remarks. LOVED this ball around the greens and from 100yds ish in. Tons of spin! Didn't think I loved it off the tee (Driver) until I smoked a couple over 260 over the last few holes. Need more rounds with these, but initially, I'm a big fan!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Archived