Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ping G LsTec

C0r73x

Always wanting to try a Ping driver and not thrilled with my choice of driver for 2017 I headed to the internet to se what deals I could find. I came across a Ping G LsTec in 9 degrees with an extra stiff RT Technologies shaft for $200. My swing speed being between 100-105 mph I figured why not, if I don't like it I can always get a different shaft for it. The club arrived and the next day I headed to the course. Trying to hit the extra stiff shaft was like swinging a 2x4 for me and I hated how the driver performed. Knowing the shaft was not right for me I went back to the internet and found a aldila tour green stiff which I knew from pervious suits me well. The new shaft instantly made the driver a much nicer experience.

Looks:

At first and still to this day I'm not excited out all that is going on with the crown of the driver. I prefer a much smoother and clean look when I look down at address. The face has little contrast from the crown which gives you a large flat black block at the end of the shaft. The bottom on the other hand with the light blue and black looks great, as well the head cover which looks nice in the bag.

Sound:

Loud and somewhat hollow sounding, not a huge fan.

Feel:

The head is light and doesn't offer much for feel of where the head is during your swing. The hollow sound also translates into a hollow feel at impact which doesn't allow you to tell how well of strike you have on the face.

Performance:

As much as I have talked of what I don't like about the club, that all gets thrown into the I don't care pile when it comes to how it performance. The Ping G flat out delivers on the performance scale and at the end of the day that is what matters. On a launch monitor I did not see any noticeable increase in swing speed, so I don't exactly buy into the aerodynamics part of the club. The G is not the longest driver I have hit but it is long and straight. I have hit numerous drives around 290 plus, with most drives around 250-260 on average. The LsTec has a slightly more open face than the normal G driver which does promote a slight fade.

Conclusion:

I like a driver with a heavier head I can feel during the swing and a muted sound. The Ping G driver doesn't give me that, but what it does offer is 100% confidence when I step up to the tee box knowing I will have a playable 2nd shot. Which is why this driver has been in my bag for the last 2 months and allowed me to tie my personal low round by keeping me in play. If you want a driver that offers great performance the Ping G is ne to consider.

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

Ping G LsTec 9º (trying out a 2017 m1 440)

Ping G30 3 and 4 hybrids

5-PW Callaway XR irons

48, 52, 56, 60 Vokey spin milled

Odyssey O-works 2-ball

RH, SS 100-105, 15 hcp

Always wanting to try a Ping driver and not thrilled with my choice of driver for 2017 I headed to the internet to se what deals I could find. I came across a Ping G LsTec in 9 degrees with an extra stiff RT Technologies shaft for $200. My swing speed being between 100-105 mph I figured why not, if I don't like it I can always get a different shaft for it. The club arrived and the next day I headed to the course. Trying to hit the extra stiff shaft was like swinging a 2x4 for me and I hated how the driver performed. Knowing the shaft was not right for me I went back to the internet and found a aldila tour green stiff which I knew from pervious suits me well. The new shaft instantly made the driver a much nicer experience.

Looks:

At first and still to this day I'm not excited out all that is going on with the crown of the driver. I prefer a much smoother and clean look when I look down at address. The face has little contrast from the crown which gives you a large flat black block at the end of the shaft. The bottom on the other hand with the light blue and black looks great, as well the head cover which looks nice in the bag.

Sound:

Loud and somewhat hollow sounding, not a huge fan.

Feel:

The head is light and doesn't offer much for feel of where the head is during your swing. The hollow sound also translates into a hollow feel at impact which doesn't allow you to tell how well of strike you have on the face.

Performance:

As much as I have talked of what I don't like about the club, that all gets thrown into the I don't care pile when it comes to how it performance. The Ping G flat out delivers on the performance scale and at the end of the day that is what matters. On a launch monitor I did not see any noticeable increase in swing speed, so I don't exactly buy into the aerodynamics part of the club. The G is not the longest driver I have hit but it is long and straight. I have hit numerous drives around 290 plus, with most drives around 250-260 on average. The LsTec has a slightly more open face than the normal G driver which does promote a slight fade.

Conclusion:

I like a driver with a heavier head I can feel during the swing and a muted sound. The Ping G driver doesn't give me that, but what it does offer is 100% confidence when I step up to the tee box knowing I will have a playable 2nd shot. Which is why this driver has been in my bag for the last 2 months and allowed me to tie my personal low round by keeping me in play. If you want a driver that offers great performance the Ping G is ne to consider.

Great review and I like your no holds barred approach

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Nice review, I was dinking around at our local shop after playing and decided to demo the new Ping 400. They didn't have the loft I wanted but hit it anyways. I'm still debating if I'm ready to pull the trigger on new driver. Always interested in reading PING reviews

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I have demoed the g400 and didn't see much of a difference if any at all. Better sound though. Never played it on an actual course only in a hitting bay

Ping G LsTec 9º (trying out a 2017 m1 440)

Ping G30 3 and 4 hybrids

5-PW Callaway XR irons

48, 52, 56, 60 Vokey spin milled

Odyssey O-works 2-ball

RH, SS 100-105, 15 hcp

If you like experimenting, you might go the range with some lead tape and try a small piece - like 1 gram - on the bottom of the head...? Could try it in a few different spots, too, see if you can get a bit heavier feel and keep the performance you like.....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Archived