TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf ball compression

Stephen_Peszel

Have you guys seen this?

The text below is not mine, I stole it from somewhere, now I know why some of my shots go off centre if the ball is squashing like this on my club....ha!

No one has a swing speed of 150 mph, including Tiger Woods who is just under 130 mph. I had no idea the golf ball compresses this much.

But first a little history I recently learned:

1- The Pro V-1 golf ball by Titleist is actually a three part ball, but you have to have a club head speed of at least 100 mph or more to be able to compress all three stages...If you don't the ball never fully compresses and you don't get the distance out of it that the pro's do. (Wonder what 5 part ball is like?)

2- We, will get more distance out of a ball that only has two stages of compression... (explains why "ladies'" balls go further for us hackers even though we won't admit it.

Like the Titleist NG Tour. It is more suited to our swing speed and we can compress it upon impact and can hit it further than the Pro V-1 ball.

3- So the secret is not to buy the most expensive balls out there because we are actually decreasing the distance we can hit the ball,

unless your club head speed is over 100 mph, which unless you are 21 to 50 years old, isn't going to happen!!!

Watch this video, this shows what a golf ball goes through when hit at 150 mph...it's amazing to me how long these balls last. Maybe that's why the Pro's use new balls every time they play....

http://www.flixxy.co...slow-motion.htm Wow, 70,000 frames per second.

Can golf balls deform that dramatically? What you see in this clip is happening in less than 1/1000 th of a second. That's too fast for the human eye to perceive in detail, but a super-slow motion camera can capture it.

Editor's note: The footage comes from the BBC and was shown during golf coverage. We were unable to establish whether a regulation golf ball or a 'practice ball' (with higher elasticity) was used for this experiment. It looks like a more flexible ball than the one Canadian golf champion Jason Zuback used to break the world ball speed record on the Sports Science episode, where he accelerated a golf ball to a speed of 328 km/h (204 mph).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMqM13EUSKw&NR=1

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

The saying goes "larger core = more distance"

That being said, the compression rating of the ball has a lot to do with this as well. I believe both the Prov1 and Prov1X are 3 piece balls, but the prov1 has a softer compression core. So in theory if you hit both of them at 100 mph you should get more distance from the Prov1 because you are able to compress it further.

The same is true if you are talking about a 2 piece distance ball. If the compression of the 2 piece ball is meant for a long drive champion, you should still hit a lower compression 3, 4 or 5 piece ball further.

Archived