TESTERS WANTED! ×

Handicap, or "average strokes over par"?

PMookie

I've been reading some posts wherein folks comment on a handicap, and I had this discussion on-course with my buddy the other day.

When someone says, "I'm a 13 handicap," is that a LEGIT handicap, or GHIN, or are they simply thinking, "Well, I shoot around 85, so 13 over, therefore I'm a 13 handicap,"?

My scoring average since September has climbed almost 9 strokes, but my GHIN went from 5.7 to 7.5. In my last 20 rounds, 10 are in the 80's, 10 are in the nineties. I'm not a double-digit handicap, though.

So, when a person posts, "I'm a 30 handicap," does that mean they shoot 130???? Or, are they simply saying, "I average around 102?"

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good topic.  I have some many casual golf friends that equate their handicap like you said.  When really handicap index as most of us know is your "Potential" of what you can shoot something like 1 out of every 5 rounds or so at your best.

This is timely as I just got my August 1st revision via email today, it's 18.9 and it shows my average score is 94.7 (not 90 or 91 as most would think) not a huge difference.  But I it explains why when I shoot 95 or 96 sometimes, I've had people say, you're a 24 not an 18.  I usually just smile and say, ok give me those extra 6 strokes then and lets go play..ha

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I think most people on average equate their handicap to shots over par. When talking to someone casually and I'm sizing them up, I'll add a couple strokes to that idea lol. I think with apps though that are offering handicaps such as The Grint this will start being more accurate. But for the most part, friends that I have questioned or dug deeper on, usually say "im a 13, i shoot 85"

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I would agree that most people equate Handicap to average score. I am about a 16 handicap, I say that since I'm no longer in a league I do not keep a Ghin as I have never needed one other than in league.. the last 4 rounds I have played were 88, 103, 87, 93.. At my lowest It was a 15.2.  but I do think MOST people think their handicap is the average strokes over par they shoot, and that is subjective in my opinion.. Just like driving distance I think people exaggerate for the sake of bragging rights.. 

I played league with a guy who was a 5 handicap (GHIN) yet never broke 85 in league. come to find out he only recorded his best rounds, anything over 85 was never recorded.. he admitted he wanted to show his handicap as a status symbol... WTF... LOL

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I would agree that most people equate Handicap to average score. I am about a 16 handicap, I say that since I'm no longer in a league I do not keep a Ghin as I have never needed one other than in league.. the last 4 rounds I have played were 88, 103, 87, 93.. At my lowest It was a 15.2.  but I do think MOST people think their handicap is the average strokes over par they shoot, and that is subjective in my opinion.. Just like driving distance I think people exaggerate for the sake of bragging rights.. 

I played league with a guy who was a 5 handicap (GHIN) yet never broke 85 in league. come to find out he only recorded his best rounds, anything over 85 was never recorded.. he admitted he wanted to show his handicap as a status symbol... WTF... LOL

That's the guy we all dream of getting paired against in a net tourney. :D

I think most assume handicap means your average score, so someone who says they are a 10 has an average score of 82....so they are closer to a 6 or 7

My latest revision has me at a 15.6, yet my last 5 scores were all over 90. Most don't realize that a GHIN shows your "potential" to score and also eliminates blow up holes by using ESC.

The ESC for my handicap is 7, so I can't post higher than a 7 on any hole.

So let's say I played a round where I had 2 par 5's that I crapped the bed on and had a quad on one and a 10 on the other. Say I shot 91....in reality the 9 and 10 get turned in as 7's so I shaved off 5 strokes so the ESC score is 86.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

It's just like many other things in golf.  Either you know what you're talking about or you're full of s***.  And either way the result is only as good as the data inputted.  You'll get guys that sandbag up, guys that sandbag down, and guys that have no clue what a handicap is.

It's one of those things that is kind of convoluted and much harder to explain than it should be, but at the end of the day I still can't think of a better system to let a guy who shoots 65-70 play against a guy that shoots 80-85.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I think most assume handicap means your average score, so someone who says they are a 10 has an average score of 82....so they are closer to a 6 or 7

My latest revision has me at a 15.6, yet my last 5 scores were all over 90. Most don't realize that a GHIN shows your "potential" to score and also eliminates blow up holes by using ESC.

So let's say I played a round where I had 2 par 5's that I crapped the bed on and had a quad on one and a 10 on the other. Say I shot 91....in reality the 9 and 10 get turned in as 7's so I shaved off 5 strokes so the ESC score is 86.

Like you, I can post nothing higher than a 7 on any hole.   But that applies to a Par 3 as well as a Par 5, which is something that I don't understand.   Also, when I enter my index into a course computer, the difference between the regular tees and the senior tees is typically 2 strokes.   However, personally for me, I find the difference can be 4 strokes or more.   So when I play with the young bucks from the regular tees and post a score, sometimes I feel like I'm cheating for senior tee play.

That's the guy we all dream of getting paired against in a net tourney. :D

Oh your killing me,,, LOL.. I was a 20 handicap playing a net toury and Pulled a Honest 85 outa my ass a few years ago.. we tied for 1st my partner was a 13 or 14 and shot an 87... 

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

I think most people don't know the ins and outs of the handicap system, and probably don't care. They have no idea what ESC is, or which scores count and which ones don't. I think a lot of people will say their handicap is 13 because golfers better than them are a legit 10 and golfers worse than them are a legit 15, for example. Many people also use the highly accurate "average strokes over par" method... LOL

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I don't know what my handicap is now since I stopped keeping track of it.  I would imagine it would be somewhere around a 6 or so.  The course that I'm playing now is rated as a pretty easy course, and my last two rounds there were 72 and 74, but that by no means is saying I'm a scratch golfer.  Several years ago I I was a member at a course that was considerably more difficult and I got my handicap down to a 2 playing there, but very rarely shot anywhere near a 74 out there.  It was usually more in the 77-80 range.  On occasion I would get lower, but mainly fell in that range.  

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Ahhhhh Sh!t, mis-read.. Duh.. the Douche bag.. LOL

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Oh your killing me,,, LOL.. I was a 20 handicap playing a net toury and Pulled a Honest 85 outa my ass a few years ago.. we tied for 1st my partner was a 13 or 14 and shot an 87... 

Oh those aren't bad, as I 18 I come close each year to shooting an 85 or so.   But then it rolls out of my last 20 and my cap goes back from a 16 to 18 or so.    But the guy I was talking about wanting to play is the guy who says' he's a 7 so he's giving me 11 strokes, and he'll be lucky to break 90.    I can win that match, unless I just fall on my face. 

The USGA is based on Handicap Differential NOT scores.  The score alone is not a good indicator of a player's ability.  An 85 on one course is not the same as an 85 on another course, or even an 85 from different tee boxes of the same course.  It's not just what you shoot, but where you shoot it.

FYI, most people that are aware of the GHIN system know that the top 10 handicap differentials are used to calculate a player's index.  But did you know that it's not just an average of the top 10?  The USGA multiplies the average of the top 10 handicap differentials by 0.96.  This factor is called the "bonus for excellence" and they say it's an incentive for players to improve their golf games!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Interesting topic. I am a "high handicap" but have no idea what my official handicap is. I typically shoot in the 90s so usually say my handicap is what my average score over par is. I know it is different.

If I had to guess, a lot of other higher handicappers tend to not keep an official handicap and do the same thing.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

This is, to me, a matter of knowledge or experience.  Many players know virtually nothing about the handicap system, so they'll us a number to get from par to their average score.  Of course, many of those will think their average is lower than it really is.  Those who have an official USGA handicap may tell you their index, or their handicap at their home course.  Those who truly understand will have looked at the slope rating of the course you're on, and will tell you their actual course handicap.  The thing is, unless you ask additional questions, you have no idea which of these is the number you're getting from a stranger.

And a word of clarification, GHIN is a handicap calculation service provided by the USGA to calculate a USGA handicap.  However, state and regional golf associations are not required to use GHIN, they're only required to do the calculations and follow the rules of the USGA Handicap Manual, so some of them use their own calculation service, or do them in-house.  So you don't have a GHIN handicap index, you have a USGA Handicap Index.  GHIN is just the computation service they use in your region.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

People don't realize handicap is a measure of potential, not averages and course difficulty comes into play

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Oh those aren't bad, as I 18 I come close each year to shooting an 85 or so. But then it rolls out of my last 20 and my cap goes back from a 16 to 18 or so......

You sandbagging son......

Sent by carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

People don't realize handicap is a measure of potential, not averages and course difficulty comes into play

I agree, that many people don't know that one gets an "index" to be used to determine a specific handicap at a specific course using specific tees.  Fortunately, most of the actual tournaments that I have played required that a USGA approved index is documented.  Outside of them, it is mostly charity events and friendly impromptu outings arranged for fun, so I don't worry about what some perceive to be their handicaps.  In those type of events, I just go have a good time.

The USGA is based on Handicap Differential NOT scores. The score alone is not a good indicator of a player's ability. An 85 on one course is not the same as an 85 on another course, or even an 85 from different tee boxes of the same course. It's not just what you shoot, but where you shoot it.

FYI, most people that are aware of the GHIN system know that the top 10 handicap differentials are used to calculate a player's index. But did you know that it's not just an average of the top 10? The USGA multiplies the average of the top 10 handicap differentials by 0.96. This factor is called the "bonus for excellence" and they say it's an incentive for players to improve their golf games!!

Just want to add to that. They use the top 10 out of the most recent 20 scores to calculate your index. If, for example, you played a few really good rounds and your index dropped, and then you continued to play at your normal level, soon your index would increase as those good rounds get pushed out of the 20 most recent.

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Just want to add to that. They use the top 10 out of the most recent 20 scores to calculate your index. If, for example, you played a few really good rounds and your index dropped, and then you continued to play at your normal level, soon your index would increase as those good rounds get pushed out of the 20 most recent.

Also, if you don't have 20 scores posted, GHIN doesn't use the 10 lowest handicap differentials to calculate index.  Here's the table:

Number of acceptable scores          Handicap Differentials to be used

5 or 6                                                      Lowest 1

7 or 8                                                      Lowest 2

9 or 10                                                    Lowest 3

11 or 12                                                   Lowest 4

13 or 14                                                   Lowest 5

15 or 16                                                   Lowest 6

17                                                       Lowest 7

18                                                       Lowest 8

19                                                       Lowest 9

20                                                       Lowest 10

Also, it's not the lowest scores... it's the lowest differential, meaning a a higher score on a more difficult course may be used over a lower score on an easier course.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I always tend to shoot one or 2 really good scores and my index drops quickly, never seems to go back up that fast lol

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I was on my club handicap committee for a couple of seasons and can vouch for everything you guys are saying. Many players are willfully ignorant, others actively manage their handicap by sabotaging good rounds or failing to post their good scores, and still others maintain vanity handicaps so they can feel better about their games. And most casual golfers have only a vague idea of what it should be anyway. It's like herding cats

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I forgot about ESC!!! Ugh. I had a 9 on hole 18 the other day! 2 tee shots went OB! I need to look up my ESC.

I'm reading all of this, and even though I keep track of my handicap via the Louisiana Golf Association GHIN phone app, I really have no idea how all of this is figured. I do understand how my handicap gets better with an 80 at the Ocean Course vs my course in-town, but all of the other factors I have no clue on.

Here is the info on the ESC

Handicaps are one thing in this game I wish I really tracked. My league tracks them a little but most matches are only 9 holes until playoffs. They use the USGA handicap formulas but it's basically the average of your best 5 of 7 recent rounds.

The funny thing is, I kept a 7 for pretty much 2 years and almost always had to give strokes in my matches but now that I've got it down to a 4, I generally get strokes. Seems like I'm in that perfect handicap pocket.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I forgot about ESC!!! Ugh. I had a 9 on hole 18 the other day! 2 tee shots went OB! I need to look up my ESC.

If your index is 9.9 or lower the max score that you can post is a double bogey. If your index is 10.0 or higher, the max score is 7, for any hole, including par 3's.

That's what you post for the ESC score. If max is double, then any hole where your score is higher than a double, you make that hole a double and subtract the stroke or strokes from the overall score then post, so if you shoot 90 and max is double, you had 2 par 4's with a score of 8, you would subtract 4 strokes and you post 86.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived