Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

You're Right...

Shankster

So, I watched a bit of golf over the weekend. And -21 is just stupid. The Senior Open was won with a -4, and the Euro Open was -13.

I retract all of my posts about low scoring events. It is kind of a mockery of the game...

All of the Par 5's at the Canadian Open were sub 560. In fact there was only one longer than 530...

Where is the cut off for it being a Par 4? Just doesn't make sense to me. Why are there 550 yard Par 4's one week and 516 yard Par 5's the next?

Instead of changing equipment rules, make a set number for the dang hole length. Pro's are gonna get on in 2 on a 516 yard Par 5... heck, I could... maybe.

The winner played the Par 5's at -12 for the week... come on...

- Alan

THANK YOU!

That being said, that's the difference between majors and all the other tournaments. There's only so many difficult championship courses in the world that I'm sure they'd run out of variety if they tried to make it difficult enough that the winner is finishing at -5 week in and week out.

Also, wow 516 is super short for pros. There better be some crazy undulation on the green and hazards all around. All 4 Par 5's at my home course are at least that long from the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I agree there should be a Min and max on length.. agreed upon by both the USGA and the R & A.. that way if your playing from the Whites ( generally normal men's tees) you will not see a 250 yd par 3, or a 520 yard par 4.. And the Pro's should have guidelines that anything between say 315-520-ish should be a par 4 that way you'll see them have to play strategically, and not just bomb's away.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I don't have a problem with the scoring in any of the events. I'm ok with the events where guys shoot a bunch of 65s because I know how hard it is, no matter how good you are, to put a 62-65 together. I also don't have a problem with majors that are even par. I like drivable par 4s, I like par 3s that if you make birdie that you pick up 2 shots in the field. I'm ok with the variety each week that not making a birdie will cost you a tournament and saving bogeys will win one

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

THANK YOU!

That being said, that's the difference between majors and all the other tournaments. There's only so many difficult championship courses in the world that I'm sure they'd run out of variety if they tried to make it difficult enough that the winner is finishing at -5 week in and week out.

Also, wow 516 is super short for pros. There better be some crazy undulation on the green and hazards all around. All 4 Par 5's at my home course are at least that long from the tips.

You're welcome. Still. Golf is a game of strategy that has became (driver - wedge - 2 putt)...

550 or below = Par 4 for those guys on TV.

- Alan

I agree there should be a Min and max on length.. agreed upon by both the USGA and the R & A.. that way if your playing from the Whites ( generally normal men's tees) you will not see a 250 yd par 3, or a 520 yard par 4.. And the Pro's should have guidelines that anything between say 315-520-ish should be a par 4 that way you'll see them have to play strategically, and not just bomb's away..

Yes sir. Was it Oakmont that had a 280 yard Par 3? Even for the Pro's a Par is good.

- Alan

THANK YOU!

And make them a Par 67 or 68.

- Alan

I hate seeing par 5's where Pros are hitting driver, wedge... where's the risk/reward factor in that???

I want to see them hit driver, FW or at the very least hybrid or long iron!

When's the last time any of us hit into a par 5 in two with less than 4 or 5 iron??

I know the difference is some of them are hitting 350 yard drives and 160 PW...but I think all tour par 5's should be 570+ with tight landing areas about 310-340

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I believe the USGA does have restrictions on the length of holes. But the margins are wide. I think a par 5 has to be between 480 and, I think, 700 yards. Not sure about the 700 yards. Might actually be closer to 650.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

It does matter. They are making birdies or eagles on the same length hole that that played at birdie or par maybe even bogey on a different course.

Yeah, I get that courses are different. But a 550 yard "Par 4" and a 558 yard "par 5" what is the real difference there?

I know Glen Abbey pretty well having attended that tourney in the past. It's not long, and it's also not very hard. Although it's days are numbered, I do agree the par 5's, while good for regular golfers, are not setup to challenge tour pros. I think the date on the calender and the average course setup discourage a lot of pros from playing.

If they were keeping that course, new tee blocks on 6-7 holes would dramatically change the way the course played and create more risk/reward options. Right now, the course is usually all reward. I do like some of the par 4's and most of the 3's are pretty good.

I would turn 18 into a par 4 (maybe move the blocks up) and have some real challenge on the final hole

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

When you begin to factor in design characteristics such as elevation change and predominant wind direction along with typical tour tournament conditions like firm fairways that stimp at 10+; 500 yard holes can easily play 100 yards less. Establishing a set of universal stipulations regarding par designation as it relates to hole length subsequently makes zero sense.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I hate seeing par 5's where Pros are hitting driver, wedge... where's the risk/reward factor in that???

I want to see them hit driver, FW or at the very least hybrid or long iron!

When's the last time any of us hit into a par 5 in two with less than 4 or 5 iron??

I know the difference is some of them are hitting 350 yard drives and 160 PW...but I think all tour par 5's should be 570+ with tight landing areas about 310-340

I once had a 7i into a par 5 and missed the eagle putt. I agree there needs to be some kind of length requirements. I've heard them announce many times this hole plays as a par 5 for the membership. They need to do that more on the shorter holes.

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Well... generally speaking shorter holes play lower scores. Regardless of any outside influences.

And I think it makes perfect sense. They want to "protect" or "preserve" the game. Stop having almost guaranteed on in 2 Par 5's.

Conditions have a lot to do with it.  -12 won the same event last year and Tiger Woods won it at -22 in 2000.  Heck I played Sunday and in the morning I hit driver, seven iron into the par 5 4th in the morning playing at 535 yards.  In the afternoon the wind direction changed and I hit driver and hybrid 30 yards short of the green.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

The men's pro game is at a completely different level than anything we could ever dream of. That being said score is irrelevant to me since they are all playing the same course and I don't care If the winner is even or -25. The PGA could make the courses tougher by adjusting green speeds, growing up the rough, changing the bunker takes like was done at the memorial years ago, and narrowing fairways. Length is not a way to protect a course; it just separates the field more.

This is also the reason I watch the LPGA. They don't bomb the ball and they play a game similar to ours with regards to distances hit. I also don't care that the Americans don't always win; for me it is good golf.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The men's pro game is at a completely different level than anything we could ever dream of. That being said score is irrelevant to me since they are all playing the same course and I don't care If the winner is even or -25. The PGA could make the courses tougher by adjusting green speeds, growing up the rough, changing the bunker takes like was done at the memorial years ago, and narrowing fairways. Length is not a way to protect a course; it just separates the field more.

This is also the reason I watch the LPGA. They don't bomb the ball and they play a game similar to ours with regards to distances hit. I also don't care that the Americans don't always win; for me it is good golf.

I agree... except I would still like to see Americans step it up a little on the LPGA.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I agree... except I would still like to see Americans step it up a little on the LPGA.

Don't disagree, but that isn't a reason for me to not watch. I do know people who refuse to watch because of the Korean dominance

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

They have said for years the way to limit the advantages for big hitters is to shorten and tighten courses, not lengthen them.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

10 yard wide fairways that are only 275 yards long. That would be interesting.

Starting to sound like we're going to take some of the courses from "The Golf Club" and make them real.

Sent by carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

There used to be suggested hole lengths in the rule book.

I think there's a place for 20 under winning just not in a major and particularly not in the US Open.

The US Open tries to push guys out of their comfort zone. It wants a player to have it in his head that it may take an entire round to offset a double. Can he remain patient when pars are good?

Those are legitimate things to ask.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Don't disagree, but that isn't a reason for me to not watch. I do know people who refuse to watch because of the Korean dominance

I agree that it is not a reason not to watch the ladies play some darn good golf.   But I do think more Americans must show up on the leaderboards for the tour to grow and for purses to materially increase.   The one thing I've noticed about the Korean players, most if not all speak English.  I must admit that it pleases me and I respect them for it.

It's progress. You now have real athletes playing golf and equipment that is cutting edge. My feeling is for the pro's use a limited flight golf ball just like they did with the softball. Make the landing area much tougher for the long hitter. Have bunkers that are really hard to get out of. Or force the pro's to drink whiskey and smoke cigars and stay out all night like the old days. Lol

Archived