TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mixed bag

revkev

The demise of Nike's golf club division has led to several unique pairings in the winning bags of touring pros this season.

It's interesting to see what guys play when they become free agents.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Amazing what happens when you don't sellout? I'm sure these guys are good enough to win with some crappy stuff, but maybe the confidence in playing what you absolutely love is deeper than I thought? Another Nike/Mizuno combo win!

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Take Brooks Koepka...

Taylormade was/is known for their drivers

Mizuno... Aparently nothing feels like a Mizuno.

Vokey - "the wedge guy"

Cameron - "The Putter Guy"

ProV1 - "#1 ball in golf"

Looks like he picked "the best" of all worlds. Obviously open to your own opinion.

I'm a firm believer if Rory had never gone to Nike he would have had at least 5-7 more wins

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I'm a firm believer if Rory had never gone to Nike he would have had at least 5-7 more wins

At the same time though, guys are winning with Nikes still in their bag. I still think it's about loving the clubs that are in your bag, rather than the zeroes in your bank account. His latest sellout adventure hadn't been doing very well for him, though he was injured and did well at The Open.

I think Rory's issues, if he has them, go beyond switching clubs. He's also switched fiancées and caddies and that's just what we know about. :)

Back to the clubs I'd hardly characterize the Vegas win as one for Nike. I think he only had a Nike fairway in his bag.

It's not as if these guys are totally free agents either. They are certainly out their trying to determine what OEM they should move to. We aren't seeing Tour Exotics or EVNRolls in the bags which we would if it were truly an open competition. We are seeing who they think would be best among those who pay.

I have little doubt that if it were not about the pay we would see mostly Mizuno and Titleist irons in the mix with a little Ping sprinkled in for irons. We'd see tons on TMag drivers as we are seeing now.

However just because those OEMs produce equipment that are great for the guys on Tour doesn't mean they certainly are for us. We have a much larger spread to choose from because we don't need to be concerned about our next contract.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I love the mixed bags.  Let's be honest, these guys can play with anything out there and still play well.  But if you get these guys super dialed in with gear that they hand pick and makes them feel confident all the time then it's a recipe for some amazing golf.  I understand why some sell out their entire bag to a single OEM but I've always respected guys like Ryan Moore who says "screw that" and plays what will help him win tournaments.

I've never understood why a golfer wouldn't just put the best equipment for THEM in their bag. They're playing for a living! Income! Why would they put a club in the bag that they know is inferior? Money..........

Crazy. Take money, possibly play equipment that doesn't maximize your ability, to try to win MONEY....

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I've never understood why a golfer wouldn't just put the best equipment for THEM in their bag. They're playing for a living! Income! Why would they put a club in the bag that they know is inferior? Money..........

Crazy. Take money, possibly play equipment that doesn't maximize your ability, to try to win MONEY....

My guess is the performance gains for a pro from brand to bran are so minimal that the sponsorship money easily offsets any potential income they would get from the minuscule drop in performance.

My guess is the performance gains for a pro from brand to bran are so minimal that the sponsorship money easily offsets any potential income they would get from the minuscule drop in performance.

To add to that, it's hard to win a tournament, take what money you can so you can continue to be a professional golfer. Especially for the guys who aren't a household name, If they wanted to give me $200k/year I'd change my name to Taylor Made. The pressure to win is already so high, it would just add more pressure thinking about all that sponsorship money you gave up to bag that wedge you just left 10 yards short.

To add to that, it's hard to win a tournament, take what money you can so you can continue to be a professional golfer. Especially for the guys who aren't a household name, If they wanted to give me $200k/year I'd change my name to Taylor Made. The pressure to win is already so high, it would just add more pressure thinking about all that sponsorship money you gave up to bag that wedge you just left 10 yards short.

Hi Taylor!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Because sponsorships are guaranteed money, whereas winning tournaments is not guaranteed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the differences in performance between OEMs are so minimum, except maybe putter. I would leave that slot open for whatever I like the best, so PING might not be an option in that regards but then again if PING wants me to pay me to play 14 of their clubs, I don't even think twice.......lol....money speak

Callaway XR 16 (10)
TaylorMade RBZ-2 3W (15)
TaylorMade RBZ-2 T5W (18.5)
Ping iE1 (4-W)

Bridgestone J15 (50)
Callaway MD2 (56/60)
Evnroll ER3

• 3 weeks later...

I think the differences in performance between OEMs are so minimum, except maybe putter. I would leave that slot open for whatever I like the best, so PING might not be an option in that regards but then again if PING wants me to pay me to play 14 of their clubs, I don't even think twice.......lol....money speak

I agree that there is no difference in quality between OEMs. All put out very nice products.

I think there are significant differences in design theory between them however. Consider the driver CG list that MGS publishes every year. That difference is the reason why I gravitate towards Ping drivers in my bag while someone else here often games Callaway and another TMag. They are all great products but one's design theory fits my swing profile better.

Those differences make subtle differences. A driver from OEM A fits player C better than anything in OEM Bs line. That type of stuff.

In a world where a stroke or two at the wrong time because of a drive that fades a tad rather than holding its line down the right side means the difference between winning and finishing second, making the cut or not - it matters!

And that's drivers. I think the wedge design differences are far more significant and further I can't understand why many mid to high caps don't take advantage of the more radical wedge designs being offered to help their short game. A lower cap needs the versatility if a tour type wedge. The higher cap needs the consistency that a more radical design offers.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived