Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Your Opinion on Wedge Lofts

Okay, I want everyone's opinion on what lofts I should get for my wedges. I am getting two Mizuno S5 wedges. Unfortunately, not custom fit. Can't afford that right now. I want a sand and a lob. I have three options. One, go with the classic 56° 60° route. Only problem is I don't feel comfortable hitting full swings with my current 60°. Two, go with the 54° 58° option. But is the 58° going to provide enough loft for delicate greenside pitches and flops? Option three, try going 55° 59°. I like the bounce options available for this set up, plus my gap is 51°, so I would still maintain the 4° gap between wedges. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I play a 54 and a 58....I can still hit any shot you want with a 58 and I have much more confidence in it, especially on full shots.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

If your approach iron/wedge is 50* I find a 54* 8b 58* 6 to 8b.

But that would be what works best for me, I like taking full swings with both.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

What do you guys think about the 55° 59° option? My gap wedge is 51°. With that option, I could get a 9° bounce. With the 54° 58° route, it would have to be 12° bounce...

Or I could do a 54° 12° and a 58° 8°. Maybe that's a better choice? Or I could just stick with the 58° 12°, but I'm kind of leaning towards the 58° 8°. I appreciate everyone's help!

I think the 55 59 option sounds good if you have a 51 gap wedge. I carried a 52 58 for awhile but was never a fan of the gapping it gave me.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Have the 51 bent one degree strong and make it a 50, then play 54, and 58.

+1

I play a 52* 56* and 60*. My yardages are just a little off for my game. While the yardage for the 60* is adequate, the 52* and 56* always come up short and I tend to think the 50* 54* 58* would be right.

Bending your 51* and purchasing the other two would be your most cost effective solution.

Sent by carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I personally took my 60 out of the bag. I can pull off the same shots with my 56°.

I am thinking of a 3-4 wedge system.

46/47 8-9° bounce

50/51 9° bounce

54/55 12-14° bounce

58/59 3-6° bounce (this wouldn't get used much.

I don't see a bunch of yardage difference between the 56 and 60. I can stop the 56 on a dime/run it out/yank it towards me when needed.

Been actually using my 53° wedge a lot from the 100 and in. A nice extending "chip" swing gets me 60-70 yards of low stopping power. 56 for the loft needs, but yet again I've been using the 53° and opening it up.

Looking like my next purchase will be the JPX Tours as long as they agree with me on Saturday. That said.

3 iron 21°

4 iron 24°

5 iron 27°

6 iron 30°

7 iron 34°

8 iron 38°

9 iron 42°

Then a:

46°

50°

54°

58°

All at 35.5”

But I'm going to make sure the loft gapping is perfect. So the stock lofts might not be what I get.

And the JPX 3 iron is my current 4 iron loft, so I'll have to find a "2" iron to fit the bill.

I'd go with what ever clubs give you the 10-15 yards, whether that is a 51/54/56 or 50/53/58.

I found my 60° when in the bag caused more problems than solutions. So I learned the delicate stuff with the 56°...

Heck of a ramble.... Hopefully you gathered something useful out of all that.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

With a 60* or even a 56* for that matter, how often are you actually taking full swings with those? Think about the shots you actually hit with your wedges. I have a 44*PW then I go to a 52* GW, 56* & 60*. Any approach shot inside of 125 yds, I use my 52* for the most part. I just have varying take back points based on yardages. I use my 56 & 60 situationally for sand or other shots that I need to get up or put a lot of spin on. In any case, when in doubt, go with 4* gaps and you'll be fine! Really, if you get good with wedges, you can open em up, close em, do a lot with a couple clubs.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I hit the ball really high (and lose distance because of it) so an 80 yard shot is a full swing 60° for me. I have an incredibly difficult time keeping my 51° from going well over 100 yards. Anything less feels like too much of a knock down. So I would say I take full swings with my wedges quite often. I am planning on hitting my 58° 85 yards, and my 54° about 95-100 yards...

I hit the ball really high (and lose distance because of it) so an 80 yard shot is a full swing 60° for me. I have an incredibly difficult time keeping my 51° from going well over 100 yards. Anything less feels like too much of a knock down. So I would say I take full swings with my wedges quite often. I am planning on hitting my 58° 85 yards, and my 54° about 95-100 yards...

What do you hit if you have 75 yards left?  :blink:

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I never hit full shots with my 58 or 54, except for the very rare full 58 flop shot.  For me these are finesse clubs, and I generally hit low to medium trajectory shots with them to control the shot better.  I will hit full shots with my 50, but only if I need it's exact yardage and the 46 does not suit the shot.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

A couple of things

1. Custom options are free from Mizuno so you can order your specs - whatever you are playing in your irons just order the same there.

2. What is you pitching wedge? That's your key - if it's 46 or higher you go 55,59. If it's 45 or lower you have your 51 adjusted to allow for no more than a 5 degree gap and go with 4 degrees there after.

There are plenty of guys on tour whose highest lofted wedge is a 58. If you have time to practice your short game you can "invent" all kinds of shots around the ground. Likewise you would be able to get comfortable with the 60.

The answer to your question lies in the loft of the next club down from the 51 IMO.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I never hit full shots with my 58 or 54, except for the very rare full 58 flop shot. For me these are finesse clubs, and I generally hit low to medium trajectory shots with them to control the shot better. I will hit full shots with my 50, but only if I need it's exact yardage and the 46 does not suit the shot.

Agree here. If I take a nasty swipe with my wedges they balloon up and actually lose distance. 3/4 is more than enough and it produces a nice boring/flat flight. I've had to swing all out to clear a tree, but I'm learning that 90-100% is shorter than 80-85% and I know where it is going to stop. 90-100% is a guessing game.

- Alan

What do you hit if you have 75 yards left? :blink:

Right now, I don't have a SW, so probably a 3/4 60°...

if I have a club in my bag it will get used for any type of shot, I'm not going to put a wedge in my bag just to use around the greens or short pitch shots, if it's in the bag it will be used for full swings as well. I have 4 wedges and I use them all.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I was always taught to base wedge lofts on your iron set. My pitching wedge is 46 degrees so my wedge lofts are 50 54 and 58 to keep my my 4 degree gaps going through the set.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I personally play a 52 and a 58. So I would say just get the 58. And save the money on the 54. 3 degrees equates to a 10 yard gap. If you simply choke down on the 51 I will essentially go same distance with a more penetrating flight.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: It's called an eraser. ~Arnie

I personally play a 52 and a 58. So I would say just get the 58. And save the money on the 54. 3 degrees equates to a 10 yard gap. If you simply choke down on the 51 I will essentially go same distance with a more penetrating flight.

I could do that at my course, but my 50 and 58 don't have much bounce, so they only work on certain bunker shots.  They work fine for tight lies, but there are courses where more bounce is needed, and I rely on my 54 for them.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I could do that at my course, but my 50 and 58 don't have much bounce, so they only work on certain bunker shots. They work fine for tight lies, but there are courses where more bounce is needed, and I rely on my 54 for them.

Understandable, I have always played mid to low bounce player all around. It's a individually unique game we play!

Dr: Cobra F7+ 10.5*, 3W 13.5* and 5W 18.5*: Cobra F7, 3i-P: Cobra Fly Z Pro MB, 52* and 58*: Cobra King Pur

I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: It's called an eraser. ~Arnie

Okay, I want everyone's opinion on what lofts I should get for my wedges. I am getting two Mizuno S5 wedges. Unfortunately, not custom fit. Can't afford that right now. I want a sand and a lob. I have three options. One, go with the classic 56° 60° route. Only problem is I don't feel comfortable hitting full swings with my current 60°. Two, go with the 54° 58° option. But is the 58° going to provide enough loft for delicate greenside pitches and flops? Option three, try going 55° 59°. I like the bounce options available for this set up, plus my gap is 51°, so I would still maintain the 4° gap between wedges. Thoughts?

I struggled with this same question for some time before landing on 52,56,60. I tried a lot of different combinations. The biggest factor was that I had been using a 56 for my sand wedge prior to adding a lob wedge into the bag. For me, it was easier to learn to hit 1 club, the 60 vs learning distance and touch with 3 new wedges. With that said, I did have to spend a lot of time on the 60 to find the best distances to utilize this lot. Now, I'm very happy that I added this loft, great out of bunkers, great around the greens for tight chips, great for shots that you need to stop 50yards and in. Note, a good full swing distance for my 60 is around 65yrds. Hope this helps!

I tend to find I like 5* gaps in my wedges better - too tight on full shot yardages otherwise.  My irons are a little "hotter" than my wedges so the transition from the last iron at 48* to the the first wedge at 52* is only 4*.  I then went 57* and 62* (bent from 56 and 60 respectively).

I tend to find I like 5* gaps in my wedges better - too tight on full shot yardages otherwise. My irons are a little "hotter" than my wedges so the transition from the last iron at 48* to the the first wedge at 52* is only 4*. I then went 57* and 62* (bent from 56 and 60 respectively).

How do you find hitting the 62*. Hard/easy? I've contemplated putting a high lofted club in the bag as my lofts stop at 58 but haven't pulled the trigger on it.

I had thought about that, but several times have found myself needing something in between a gap and a lob. Good idea though! I would do that, but I am getting a great deal on these wedges...

Archived