TESTERS WANTED! ×

Pinehurst, NC trip but not playing Pinehurst next week

Mingerd

Hey All,

So I'm heading down to Pinehurst, NC soon to play 4 courses. The itinerary includes Tobacco Rd, Dormie Club, Tot Hill Farm, and Duke University course. I will be updating this post daily with pics and my score card of the round if interested in seeing parts of the course. So stay tuned and I'll provide some reviews and on course shots.

Oh and subscribe if you want the updates. And please let me know what you think of my reviews!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: It's called an eraser. ~Arnie

That's quite a list. I love the resort courses, but there are so may others in Pinehurst that are very good in their own right.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Tobacco Road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

You'll have a great time, for sure.  Dormie Club is relatively traditional, while Tobacco Road and Tot Hill Farm are anything by traditional.   I have a condo in that area and visit regularly.  If you want any recommendations for bars or restaurants, please let me know.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

You'll have a great time, for sure. Dormie Club is relatively traditional, while Tobacco Road and Tot Hill Farm are anything by traditional. I have a condo in that area and visit regularly. If you want any recommendations for bars or restaurants, please let me know.

Awesome would be definitely open to suggestions. A friend of mine was stationed near there for a bit in the Air Force said something about bells in Southern Pines?

I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: It's called an eraser. ~Arnie

He may have meant the Bell Tree Tavern, that's a nice spot, and they have a pleasant outdoor beer garden in back.  Just up the street, possibly my favorite restaurant, is Chef Warren's, really good food, pretty casual setting.  Up New Hampshire Ave is a relatively new place called Chapman's, I was really impressed the only time I was in there.  Another one, further south, is the Sly Fox Gastropub, for gourmet quality pub food and a couple of nice curry dishes, not to mention a good beer selection.  Last, for pizza, try Etalia on Pennsylvania Ave, one of those insanely hot brick ovens for thin crispy crust.

Where will you be staying?

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'm pretty sure our suite is in Southern Pines. So those all sound like good suggestions. I'll have to give a golf trip blog spot when I get back

Hey All,

So I'm heading down to Pinehurst, NC soon to play 4 courses. The itinerary includes Tobacco Rd, Dormie Club, Tot Hill Farm, and Duke University course. I will be updating this post daily with pics and my score card of the round if interested in seeing parts of the course. So stay tuned and I'll provide some reviews and on course shots.

Oh and subscribe if you want the updates. And please let me know what you think of my reviews!

Sounds like a great trip!  I am very interested in your thoughts on Dormie Club.  We make an annual trip to Pinehurst, staying at Pine Needles and playing there and Southern Pines, and usually one or two other courses-   We are considering Dormie Club this year and I would appreciate any feedback, good, bad or indifferent.

BTW, If you are looking for a very nice place for dinner, consider 195 American Fusion -   we had a group dinner there that was spectacular.  website is http://www.195pinehurstdining.com/dinner.htm

Enjoy!!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

You'll have a great time, for sure.  Dormie Club is relatively traditional, while Tobacco Road and Tot Hill Farm are anything by traditional.   I have a condo in that area and visit regularly.  If you want any recommendations for bars or restaurants, please let me know.

Dave, Looking for any info you might have on Dormie Club- current conditions, and outlook for the fall. We are planning a trip and are considering Dormie Club as one of the potential courses.  Welcome any information on the course (or others like it) - it is a Donald Ross week for us, so we are trying to keep that theme going. 

Thank you

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Putter MLA Pro Classic

Dormie Club is a Crenshaw/Core course, designed in a relatively minimalist style.  They worked with existing terrain, moved very little dirt, so many of the greens sit right at the level of the surrounding fairways.  I like the variety of holes, long and short.  There are at least a few "half-par" holes, really long par 4's, or really short ones, so that par might be 3-1/2 or 4-1/2.  I hear from time to time that conditions get ragged, but its been pretty good every time I've played it.  

For Donald Ross courses, the ones I'm aware of are Southern Pines, Pine Needles, and MidPines, plus a couple of the Pinehurst courses, #1 and #2.  #3 was also a Ross design, but is being changed/shortened, so its not an option right now.  You can read a lot about these courses, and see lots of good photography, at www.golfclubatlas.com.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Thanks for the info, appreciate the correction.  I think the group is still interested, but will look for Mingerd's feedback on course conditions before we commit.

Again, thanks

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

Dave, Looking for any info you might have on Dormie Club- current conditions, and outlook for the fall. We are planning a trip and are considering Dormie Club as one of the potential courses. Welcome any information on the course (or others like it) - it is a Donald Ross week for us, so we are trying to keep that theme going.

Thank you

You got it, we play on Wednesday in the morning. So I'll probably update this post that evening with pics and course conditions and overall review.

Tobacco Rd and Tot Hill Farm are FUN Tracks,  TARGET GOLF !!!

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Dave, Looking for any info you might have on Dormie Club- current conditions, and outlook for the fall. We are planning a trip and are considering Dormie Club as one of the potential courses. Welcome any information on the course (or others like it) - it is a Donald Ross week for us, so we are trying to keep that theme going.

Thank you

Dormie was fantastic! Played 36 today there because it was in absolute amazing shape. The only minor exception was hole 9 I should have taken a pic but didn't. They have trouble maintaining that green due to location so the green was a bit spotty, however, every other green rolled phenomenal. I can't suggest that you play Dormie enough. I played it from the tips and and shot 78 which I'll take when a few holes are almost 500 yd par 4s and 235 yd par 3. IMG_3586.JPGIMG_3577.JPGIMG_3581.JPG

If there is anything else you want to know let me know. Again it was in awesome shape for off season in August.

Dormie was fantastic! Played 36 today there because it was in absolute amazing shape. The only minor exception was hole 9 I should have taken a pic but didn't. They have trouble maintaining that green due to location so the green was a bit spotty, however, every other green rolled phenomenal. I can't suggest that you play Dormie enough. I played it from the tips and and shot 78 which I'll take when a few holes are almost 500 yd par 4s and 235 yd par 3. attachicon.gifIMG_3586.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3577.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3581.JPG

If there is anything else you want to know let me know. Again it was in awesome shape for off season in August.

Awesome, thank you so much for your report.  I have passed it on to several of my buddies who will decide, and  I think Dormie is gonna be in- I am really looking forward to it.

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

Okay so the trip is done and it was a great time! My buddies and I will definitely be returning in the future. Below I'll post a few pics as well as the current course conditions. I played every course pretty spot on to my 2 handicap.

Tot Hill Farm- This was the most disappointing course of all the tracks we played. My score has no bearing in my decision as I shot a 74, 2 over par. After our round we sat on the porch and had a few beers and we sat and talked with the Pro. He told us that sadly the previous owners let another management firm come in and take over the management of the course and this new group did not take care of the course. The entire course has crab grass every where. Greens are dying and it was just a dismal scene. I didn't take many pics as it was raining for most of the day we played. The pic below is just a small snap shot of how most of the course looked. While not all had dead spots most were just riddled with crab grass. 3D627648-CFCD-4F78-8D39-6F5E6285F0C7.JPG

The good news is while it was in poor shape now the original owners took control back over halfway through the season which was why it was some what playable while we were down there. Furthermore, the Pro said that they have a crew coming in to get rid of the crab grass but unfortunately it will be there the remainder of this season. He did say that it will be gone next year. If we return, we will need some confirmation of this.

Tobacco Road- Think of splash mountain at Disneyland and that's what the atmosphere of this course felt like. Such cool views and really fun to play. I shot a 75 here. Greens were in amazing shape and rolled extremely well. 17DA211F-80D2-4E8F-825B-F98A6AD9AA9E.JPGIMG_3571.JPGIMG_0689.JPGB575BE7A-A593-4AEA-8C69-F22AC1457EAE.JPGFDA166ED-3290-4BCD-A134-6F45380DBF73.jpg

Dormie Club- This was in tip top shape and the conditions were amazing. The only hiccup was hole 9 a par three tucked back in the middle of the course amongst trees. Since the airflow isn't great they struggle to keep this green so it was a bit spotty. However, every other green, fairway, and tee box was immaculate. The greens were quick and I was honestly surprised how well they rolled in August. I played this course from the tips as I did all the others and some of the holes were monsters. 650yd par 5, and a few 450+ par 4s, I still managed to play pretty good and shot a 78, 6 over par. Needless to say this was a great track and my buddies survived by playing the whites the second time around. The first time they played the blues and really struggled. I recommend following their handicap guide as to what tees to play from to enjoy your round. Or if you only hit the ball 240-250 from the tee definitely go with the white tees. 51002DBC-D967-4975-9CC0-DE8BED97ABF5.JPG3453241F-07FD-405B-91A9-4D02DEFD5D7C.JPG4C17136E-E6B5-4915-9157-B0556D9004E5.JPG

Here is a 3i swing sequence on the 240 yd par 3.

IMG_0697.JPGIMG_0698.JPG

IMG_0699.JPGIMG_0700.JPGIMG_0701.JPGIMG_0702.JPG

Just got on the front of the green.

Duke University Golf Club- WOW all I can say is wow. This course by far blew the others away! This was a true championship course and if you ever get the chance make this part of your bucket list. The conditions of this course were absolutely unreal! The greens were lightening quick and rolled unbelievably true. The bunkers were phenomenal. Pretty much everything about this course was payed attention to in fine detail. The cars are equipped with interactive gps systems. What was also pretty neat is if you go past a place on the fairway they don't want you too the cart automatically shuts off and you can only operate the cart in reverse. Anyhow, this was an amazing track and super glad we made this one of our stops. The course was a beast as well very long as I played it at 7100 yards at a 75 rating. I shot 78, sadly doubled 18! Here are the pics I took.

IMG_0677.JPGDC599B0D-5D18-4C1A-B49B-927C37E51F63.JPG925B4947-D2B7-4155-9202-DA3496ADDCD1.JPGIMG_0678.JPGB33C85CD-7873-463E-A926-9A99EF3DE119.JPGIMG_0679.JPGAFCF5B7A-0863-45BE-8032-46BE478DD1EF.JPGE63D15EE-977F-4BCD-887D-242FC7F86DF5.JPG43C14D9F-C3D5-48E2-9EDC-642D61698B98.JPG

Lastly, if there is anything else you are interested in hearing about let me know. It was a great time and really look forward to returning.

Dr: Cobra F7+ 10.5*, 3W 13.5* and 5W 18.5*: Cobra F7, 3i-P: Cobra Fly Z Pro MB, 52* and 58*: Cobra King Pur

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

Great PICS,  shame they let Tot Hill go like that.  Last time I played it, it was in GREAT shape. (three years ago).  75 at Tobacco Road, impressive score for playing in for the first time!!!!!

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Great PICS, shame they let Tot Hill go like that. Last time I played it, it was in GREAT shape. (three years ago). 75 at Tobacco Road, impressive score for playing in for the first time!!!!!

Ironic that's when the pro said this new group took over at Tot Hill. Yeah I definitely loved Tobacco!

• 1 month later...

Looks to me like you shot 74 at Tobacco Road...my math puts your back nine at 35 and not 36

glad you got to play some solid NC courses and enjoyed your trip; even in its prime, i dont think tot hill farm would have held up to the other courses you played, but it is a shame to hear it was let go so badly

Fantastic pics and a great set of courses. I'd recognize that pic of No. 1 at Tobacco Road anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Well its my turn this coming week.  In conjunction with another website, which shall remain nameless, I'll be playing in a competition at Talamore and MidSouth next Thursday-Saturday.  So my plan is to drive down Monday, play Tuesday somewhere, Wednesday at Mid Pines, and Sunday at Dormie before driving home.  8 rounds in 6 days, a lot of golf for this old man, but I know its going to be a blast.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Jealous. :angry: :) 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Good luck!! and have fun

What's in the bag?

Putter MLA Pro Classic

Well its my turn this coming week.  In conjunction with another website, which shall remain nameless, I'll be playing in a competition at Talamore and MidSouth next Thursday-Saturday.  So my plan is to drive down Monday, play Tuesday somewhere, Wednesday at Mid Pines, and Sunday at Dormie before driving home.  8 rounds in 6 days, a lot of golf for this old man, but I know its going to be a blast.

had some rough weather this morning for your drive, but the rest of the week is looking pretty decent...should be sunny and in the 70s for you during the latter part of the week, hit em well!

Had a great time, perfect weather.  I got in a Tuesday practice round wt MidSouth, a pre-tournament casual round at Mid Pines on Wednesday, then a pair of 36 hole days (foursomes and then fourballs) at MidSouth and Talamore, and finally a singles match at MidSouth.  And because I hadn't had enough, we played a nice casual round at Dormie Club before driving home yesterday.  I think I may take a few days off.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I have played Dormie and Tobacco. No doubt Tobacco Road is a hoot and a roller coaster. Very fun, loved it.

Dormie Club however, for me, is the soul of what golf should be or can be. I fell in love with that course.

• 2 weeks later...

I played Dormie club earlier in the year as well. It was a wet and chilly day. We also played from the back tees. I shot even 36 on the front, and 42 on the back for a 78 also, it was a really good course with some pretty tough holes.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived