TESTERS WANTED! ×

My summer golf rant 2017

mbrodeur86

Hey everyone it's been a while. I still come to the site but since I don't have much to offer I just kinda really read posts and keep my mouth shut.

Anyways, since I started seriously playing 10 years ago, I have gotten better every year. Last season I had gotten myself to a 5.2 handicap and was feeling poised to do even better this year. So far, I've climbed up to a 6.3 and have barely broken 80.

I know to some of you, this will be a dumb rant. Some of you would be happy with these results....WELL I'M NOT! To a point I seriously contemplated quitting golf altogether.

My swing literally sucks. I keep breaking my left arm which leads to inconsistent strikes. I keep low hooking the ball with a weak grip. I can't seem to shake this. Been to the range more times than I can count.

So I sold my driver, my irons and put my trusted putter away. I have not played golf for close to a week and feeling the withdrawals.

A new to me driver is coming (ironically I owned this driver at the beginning of the season but sold it. I regretted it and am buying back Callaway bba 816 dbd, have gone back to my favorite iron company wilson staff (bought ci11 irons after struggling with adams xtd forged ) and have bought an odyssey #7 as I've always wanted it. I've also put the 3 wood away and bought a 16 degree 2 hybrid to replace it.

I'm just completely frustrated this season to a point where I hope this little break helps restore some good habits. New to me equipment hopefully gets my moral up.

Even there, the biggest problem is right between the ears. I know that I am trying too hard but for the love of God I cannot break this. Anyone here who has gone through this I need your advice. How do I stop this?

The goal remains the same. Get my name on my dad's trophy aka win the club championship.

HELP!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

We all go through this from time to time. It is part of human nature and the game in general. And trust me it does screw with your head. Even great pro players go through it and some for some reason lose their game all together. And I am not going to Tiger territory here because his was mental then physical to begin with and now it is a combination. Personally I would not subscribe to the swing mechanics thing either. Since you are new I will give you one tip of advice that I developed and it has served me well over the years and the last part I said and thought long before I heard Mr Palmer say it.

There is no set in stone way to properly swing or play the game and that goes with equipment too. I have always been a big proponent of "Swing your swing and play your game"  Good Luck to You

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

This is the second "I'm ready to quit" rant I've seen in the last month. You and shanks need to get together and have a kumbaya

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Been there, and it's very similar to you, except I really never would quit no matter how badly I would like to. I've been hanging around 5.0 to 6.0 for the better part of 2 years now. Here's what I am finding out, shaving strokes off of your cap is very difficult when you are a fairly good golfer, and I consider 5.2 a good golfer, so first thing, it's really hard to move from 5.2 to 4.2 and so on. You need to figure out a way to have fun. We put a lot of pressure on ourselves to play well, and when we don't, we pack it in and finish the round horribly (woe is me). One thing I have done is I try to play some fun rounds of golf with people that you like to hang out with, just to chat a have a good time, a round of golf where you just unplug from your mind, and just enjoy the day, enjoy playing golf, enjoy the company, and don't keep score, you don't have to keep score every time you play. This round is about loving the game. It doesnt matter, if you hit a bad shot, drop a ball and hit another one. If you miss a short putt, drop one and putt it again. You gotta have fun. Then when you do play a "serious" round, you realize that being relaxed and having fun is way better than grinding. Good Luck play well, and most of all have fun.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

My father-in-law gave me some advice a few years ago...take two weeks off, then quit. :lol:

Seriously, I've only played a handful of times this year and can't see myself playing again any time soon because my game stinks. I think the break will do us both some good.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

My father-in-law gave me some advice a few years ago...take two weeks off, then quit. :lol:

Seriously, I've only played a handful of times this year and can't see myself playing again any time soon because my game stinks. I think the break will do us both some good.

See that's good, if your game stinks right now it can only get better!

Seriously take some time and get back at it. Some range time or a lesson or 2 always helpful.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Take some time away from the game....sometimes you overthink things....get too many swing thought in your head and can't get out of your own way.

Usually if I put the clubs away for 3-4 weeks, I come back fresh...golf is fun again and I'm not grinding over everything and I play much better.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I can't tell you much as I left the game for 11 years for different reason. I was a 4 handicap and I was playing well when I left. I got hooked to the sport of mountain biking. It competed for daylight hours and I picked mountain biking.

Coming back this time I have different goals and my attitude definitely changed. I found golf to be more fun and interesting now that I'm older and don't hit as far as before. Other parts of my game seems to step up and makes my game better than before.

I'm definitely more content with my game. I'm playing with more confidence and a lot less ego.

I've been there even recently. Although I didn't contemplate quitting I wasn't having fun playing and would have quit if I didn't have so many friends who play.

So I took a couple of lessons. The quickest way out of a funk is to see the pro at your club. Anything else is hint and peck.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Guys thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I seriously doubt I could quit. Golf is too important to me. I have this weird dream where I can actually put my name on a trophy my Dad already won. He's won at everything: Hockey, golf, baseball, softball, curling you name it he won it. Just a natural, strong athlete who never took a lesson for anything in his life. I'm 40 now so all those other sports I played at 1 time but was never good enough to win anything. This I am good at or at least I used to be. This is extremely personal for me so to see myself struggling really grinds my gears. I've always struggled at the beginning of the season but at this point I'm in top form. If I was more flexible I'd kick myself in the ass lol.

I am waiting on all the equipment I ordered to get here and I am going back to war. Something I haven't really done this year is play by myself. It was always me and my bro until this year where his wife got a back operation and he couldn't buy his membership this year. It blows not having my partner with me since he's really my best friend and usually keeps me in check. 

Our club championship is in 3 weeks and other than my wedges and 3 hybrid, I've just made major equipment changes. I've got 3 weeks to get used to my new stuff as well as get my game out of the slump.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

I was there a month or so ago. I don't know why it happens, but it does. I know a lesson or two would help, but I just can't spend the coin for that, at this time. 

I just keep playing and eventually things straighten up. My handicap is hovering around 8.5 - 9 right now. I hope to get it lower before the season is over.............. we'll see.

I have no club pro so not an option for me unfortunately. I'm really ready to swallow my pride and get lessons which sucks even more. I am just patiently waiting for my stuff to get here. I think my ego was making me buy equipment that my swing couldn't handle so when I read up on the Ci11's I figure these ones will be a fantastic fit. Anxious to get out there. Hopefully this coming weekend.

Sometimes we get so result focussed that we forget to swing the club. Better can sometimes be the enemy of good.

In the absence of qualified lessons, just relax and have fun, don't think about the result and just have fun playing golf.

Trust me, things could be much worse than playing bad golf.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I have no club pro so not an option for me unfortunately. I'm really ready to swallow my pride and get lessons which sucks even more. I am just patiently waiting for my stuff to get here. I think my ego was making me buy equipment that my swing couldn't handle so when I read up on the Ci11's I figure these ones will be a fantastic fit. Anxious to get out there. Hopefully this coming weekend.

I'd say go for the lessons. A good teacher will find a way to get through to you without having you bend to their philosophy. It might help give you something new to work towards as well.

I can certainly understand the frustration, and feeling like you are spinning your wheels.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

This is the second "I'm ready to quit" rant I've seen in the last month. You and shanks need to get together and have a kumbaya

Can I join in on this

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I'd say go for the lessons. A good teacher will find a way to get through to you without having you bend to their philosophy. It might help give you something new to work towards as well.

I can certainly understand the frustration, and feeling like you are spinning your wheels.

Can't. Nobody around here gives them. There is no pro. Good news though. I got my irons and putter tonight and went to the range to hit some balls. The Ci11's are just what I needed. I've never been a high ball hitter and these clubs had the hight I've always wanted. Distance was incredible. I will most likely not need the 4i. They are that long. From 9i down to 60 degree I had beautiful draws going right after the flags shot after shot. By the 8i, I was hitting my usual constant fade. I did hit an occasional bad one but much much less than before. The putter was again fantastic. I drained 3 25 foot putts in a row all with different speeds and breaks. I get my 16 degree and driver later this week just in time for a round of golf by myself on Saturday and Sunday it's with the 4 some. Super excited and pumped.

It's a funny game.

I'd always kind of 'hacked around' the golf course. Had never broken 90. Wasn't one who went to the range and worked on my game. Would show up at the course and have fun. Hit a few 'beautiful' shots that would bring me back.

When I turned 40, and the 'switch' turned. Became a range rat...worked on my game as often as possible. I got down to a 7 handicap. And it was a steady path of improvement...until last year when for the first time - my game regressed.

And the more I pressed, the worse I got. Went thru a 2+ month stretch where every time I went to the range, would shank my irons after about 5-10 minutes. Very dispiriting. Remember asking myself the question 'if I can't practice, why should I play?' Crazy thing was...shanks never popped up when I actually played. But still, regressed to back to a 9-10 handicap.

Long story short, figured out my range issues - figured out some drills that got my rotation back which unbeknownst to me...I had pretty much eliminated from my swing. I'm swinging freely now, my distance is back, my accuracy still is spotty, but after going through the roughest stretch of my life as an 'avid golfer' what I did learn was tension and frustration is my worst enemy on the golf course/range.

And at the end of the day, I'll have some great days, and others not so much. That I can't measure myself or my progress by my best days. That those are nice gifts on the golf journey I hope I can embark on for the remainder of my years.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

My game today would have been great if I could have putted. 3 putts on each hole make for a frustrating day!

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I was in your place in late May. What worked for me was the following:

1. Stopped thinking about my score. I just decided to play each shot as well as I could. No frets about the last shot and no tension with the next. At the end of the round, even if the score wasn't great, I knew I had played each shot as well as I could. It was a great shift in mindset that allowed me to have fun.

2. I stopped focusing on the ball at address and tried to "see" my target in my head. My body/swing seems to respond well to this. Not ball-bound I guess.

3. I listen to this...a lot. Best piece of sports psychology I have ever heard:

https://youtu.be/CYp8Hldzd-Q

Not sure any of this will help. We are all different. Good luck.

Sent from my 831C using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Only rant for me is just not playing.Last round was late April.Funny thing the longer I go without playing.The less it bothers me really.Had seasons where I played 200 plus rounds.Or seasons like this where I played less than 20

Keep it in the short stuff

It's a funny game.

I'd always kind of 'hacked around' the golf course. Had never broken 90. Wasn't one who went to the range and worked on my game. Would show up at the course and have fun. Hit a few 'beautiful' shots that would bring me back.

When I turned 40, and the 'switch' turned. Became a range rat...worked on my game as often as possible. I got down to a 7 handicap. And it was a steady path of improvement...until last year when for the first time - my game regressed.

And the more I pressed, the worse I got. Went thru a 2+ month stretch where every time I went to the range, would shank my irons after about 5-10 minutes. Very dispiriting. Remember asking myself the question 'if I can't practice, why should I play?' Crazy thing was...shanks never popped up when I actually played. But still, regressed to back to a 9-10 handicap.

Long story short, figured out my range issues - figured out some drills that got my rotation back which unbeknownst to me...I had pretty much eliminated from my swing. I'm swinging freely now, my distance is back, my accuracy still is spotty, but after going through the roughest stretch of my life as an 'avid golfer' what I did learn was tension and frustration is my worst enemy on the golf course/range.

And at the end of the day, I'll have some great days, and others not so much. That I can't measure myself or my progress by my best days. That those are nice gifts on the golf journey I hope I can embark on for the remainder of my years.

You need to get over to Lane Creek and join me and DawgDaddy for a round  ;)

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/19797-ole-gray-invitational-lane-creek-gc/page-1

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I completely understand trying to beat your Dad at some kind of sport. I'm the same, except my Dad was better at cricket (and tennis, but not going back to that), which I'm too old for now. 

However, my Dad was a decent golfer back in the day (mid-1980s) and won a trophy (my mother has confirmed its existence). Whilst I'm no longer able to win the trophy (the competition was discontinued a while back), I have been to beat his handicap and become the first person in my family to have a single handicapper.

I got down to a 7.8 hcp at one stage, but I've been going backwards since. Whilst I've managed to stop the "bleeding" at 9.7, it's been a struggle to get lower again. 

I've worked out what my problem is, and it may be the same as yours. It's the fact that I'm not as driven or as "hungry" as I was back when I was a 12 handicapper.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

I'm just over-focusing on things. I've forgotten how to have fun. I actually started hating the game. To me, that's like saying I hate my wife or one of my kids. I needed to step back and think. Selling most of my equipment and buying other clubs gave me an excuse not to play. 

I actually decided to go play a niner wednesday without a driver or 3 wood. Longest club in my bag - my exotics 3 hybrid. 4th hole I hit a decent drive and have a 7 iron in which a skull next to the bunker on the right side. Didn't let it bother me and grabbed my trusty 60 and proceed to hit my modified flop shot and she rolled right in! Was able to keep the ball in play. I did hit some bad shots too but didn't lose my cool and played reasonably well. I got rained out on the 7th hole but I would have shot 37-38 had I parred the last 2 holes. Should be an interesting weekend....

My game today would have been great if I could have putted. 3 putts on each hole make for a frustrating day!

This was me last night.

And push hooking the ball off the tee into the woods. Realized too late I wasn't turning the shoulders, only the arms. Damage was done though and I played myself out of the league finals...

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

This was me last night.

And push hooking the ball off the tee into the woods. Realized too late I wasn't turning the shoulders, only the arms. Damage was done though and I played myself out of the league finals...

MDGolfHacker

That sucks man. It's such a difficult game and so frustrating at times.

Only rant for me is just not playing.Last round was late April.Funny thing the longer I go without playing.The less it bothers me really.Had seasons where I played 200 plus rounds.Or seasons like this where I played less than 20

I'm somewhat in the same boat.   There was a time if it was a nice weekend day, I was out the door to the course.   Now I find it difficult to get my lazy butt out of the lounge chair and go play.   I think a lot has to do with aging and some health concerns.   When my doctor said, go ahead and play but be careful don't push it, that didn't help.   I find it increasingly difficult to deal with hot weather.   What bothers me most, like you, I find that I don't care like I should. When the cooler temperatures hit, I must find a way to get off my butt.

I am going to be on vacation in a few hours and will be heading out for my first 18 with my new to me clubs. From the range, looks like I made a good decision. Let's hope it follows me to the course

Archived