My summer golf rant 2017

Our Sponsors

It's a funny game.

I'd always kind of 'hacked around' the golf course. Had never broken 90. Wasn't one who went to the range and worked on my game. Would show up at the course and have fun. Hit a few 'beautiful' shots that would bring me back.

When I turned 40, and the 'switch' turned. Became a range rat...worked on my game as often as possible. I got down to a 7 handicap. And it was a steady path of improvement...until last year when for the first time - my game regressed.

And the more I pressed, the worse I got. Went thru a 2+ month stretch where every time I went to the range, would shank my irons after about 5-10 minutes. Very dispiriting. Remember asking myself the question 'if I can't practice, why should I play?' Crazy thing was...shanks never popped up when I actually played. But still, regressed to back to a 9-10 handicap.

Long story short, figured out my range issues - figured out some drills that got my rotation back which unbeknownst to me...I had pretty much eliminated from my swing. I'm swinging freely now, my distance is back, my accuracy still is spotty, but after going through the roughest stretch of my life as an 'avid golfer' what I did learn was tension and frustration is my worst enemy on the golf course/range.

And at the end of the day, I'll have some great days, and others not so much. That I can't measure myself or my progress by my best days. That those are nice gifts on the golf journey I hope I can embark on for the remainder of my years.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

You need to get over to Lane Creek and join me and DawgDaddy for a round  ;)

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/19797-ole-gray-invitational-lane-creek-gc/page-1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 6 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree

Putters:
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Big Seven Arm Lock Putter
Odyssey Triple Track 2-Ball Putter
Odyssey Triple Track 10 Putter
Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 10.5C Putter

Utility club:  Square Strike Wedge 45 degree
aka pocket picker

I completely understand trying to beat your Dad at some kind of sport. I'm the same, except my Dad was better at cricket (and tennis, but not going back to that), which I'm too old for now. 

However, my Dad was a decent golfer back in the day (mid-1980s) and won a trophy (my mother has confirmed its existence). Whilst I'm no longer able to win the trophy (the competition was discontinued a while back), I have been to beat his handicap and become the first person in my family to have a single handicapper.

I got down to a 7.8 hcp at one stage, but I've been going backwards since. Whilst I've managed to stop the "bleeding" at 9.7, it's been a struggle to get lower again. 

I've worked out what my problem is, and it may be the same as yours. It's the fact that I'm not as driven or as "hungry" as I was back when I was a 12 handicapper.

• Like 2

Driver (main): Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

Driver (back-up): Titliest 915 D3 (9.5) with Fujikura Speeder Shaft 757 (Tour Stiff)

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: PING i200 4-PW in XP 95 shafts with S300 flex (+ 3 iron)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1X, Srixon Z-Star ZV & Taylormade TP5X

I'm just over-focusing on things. I've forgotten how to have fun. I actually started hating the game. To me, that's like saying I hate my wife or one of my kids. I needed to step back and think. Selling most of my equipment and buying other clubs gave me an excuse not to play. 

I actually decided to go play a niner wednesday without a driver or 3 wood. Longest club in my bag - my exotics 3 hybrid. 4th hole I hit a decent drive and have a 7 iron in which a skull next to the bunker on the right side. Didn't let it bother me and grabbed my trusty 60 and proceed to hit my modified flop shot and she rolled right in! Was able to keep the ball in play. I did hit some bad shots too but didn't lose my cool and played reasonably well. I got rained out on the 7th hole but I would have shot 37-38 had I parred the last 2 holes. Should be an interesting weekend....

• Like 3

DRIVER:                  :mizuno-small:  ST190, 10.5*, Fujikura  Atmos Black Tour Spec 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap, midsize

HYBRIDS:    :adams-small:    Pro  2 hybrid 16*, Aldila Tour Red 75g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip 

:mizuno-small:           JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip                                  

IRONS:            :cobra-small:    King Forged Tour 4i-pw, KBS FLT, shafts, stiff,  Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

WEDGES:        rsz_scor-golf-logo.png        50, 55, 60 degree wedges with Genius 12 stiff flex,   Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

PUTTER:       :odyssey-small:    O-Works Marksman 33.5", Superstroke 1.0 Flatso grip w/ 50g counter core

BALL:          :bridgestone-small: Tour B X                                                     

BAG:          :Ogio:              Cirrus Golf Bag 

Shoes:              Skechers                  Hexgo Control  Shoes

My game today would have been great if I could have putted. 3 putts on each hole make for a frustrating day!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

This was me last night.

And push hooking the ball off the tee into the woods. Realized too late I wasn't turning the shoulders, only the arms. Damage was done though and I played myself out of the league finals...

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

This was me last night.

And push hooking the ball off the tee into the woods. Realized too late I wasn't turning the shoulders, only the arms. Damage was done though and I played myself out of the league finals...

MDGolfHacker

That sucks man. It's such a difficult game and so frustrating at times.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

DRIVER:                  :mizuno-small:  ST190, 10.5*, Fujikura  Atmos Black Tour Spec 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Wrap, midsize

HYBRIDS:    :adams-small:    Pro  2 hybrid 16*, Aldila Tour Red 75g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip 

:mizuno-small:           JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Superstroke TX1 Midsize grip                                  

IRONS:            :cobra-small:    King Forged Tour 4i-pw, KBS FLT, shafts, stiff,  Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

WEDGES:        rsz_scor-golf-logo.png        50, 55, 60 degree wedges with Genius 12 stiff flex,   Superstroke TX1 Midsize grips

PUTTER:       :odyssey-small:    O-Works Marksman 33.5", Superstroke 1.0 Flatso grip w/ 50g counter core

Only rant for me is just not playing.Last round was late April.Funny thing the longer I go without playing.The less it bothers me really.Had seasons where I played 200 plus rounds.Or seasons like this where I played less than 20

I'm somewhat in the same boat.   There was a time if it was a nice weekend day, I was out the door to the course.   Now I find it difficult to get my lazy butt out of the lounge chair and go play.   I think a lot has to do with aging and some health concerns.   When my doctor said, go ahead and play but be careful don't push it, that didn't help.   I find it increasingly difficult to deal with hot weather.   What bothers me most, like you, I find that I don't care like I should. When the cooler temperatures hit, I must find a way to get off my butt.

• Like 2

I am going to be on vacation in a few hours and will be heading out for my first 18 with my new to me clubs. From the range, looks like I made a good decision. Let's hope it follows me to the course

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2