TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cleveland Golf returns to the Iron and Driver Market

Golfspy_CG2

John gives a very good look into Cleveland's reentry to the iron and driver market,.

https://mygolfspy.com/2018-cleveland-golf-launch-hb/

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I made a post in the blog and it never showed up so I'll said it in this thread.

I'm interested in the hybrid iron concept that the Launcher HB set will provide.  I don't work the ball anyway so a nice high approach shot with these big butted irons might be the ticket.  Now the driver with the light weight shaft may or may not tickle my fancy.  I'm finding out that that light weight shafts are not suited for my  ball dispersion off the tee.  It's not a good thing when your tee shots are kin to a duck. With that said I'm thinking the Cleveland line will be a big hit for both intermediate golfers and the old guys/gals looking for some fun on the course.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Glad to hear Cleveland is making strides to get back into the market w/ irons and woods.  Very interesting the target players.  I hope that it is successful.  I wonder how their marketing campaign is going to look with, what I assume, no tour players playing their woods and irons.  How do they create buzz?  Bells and whistles seem to sell clubs, adjustability is the standard.  But in all honesty I have never changed my settings even though they were changed by my fitter.  Obviously the price point is one that will work for many of us out there that are tired of seeing prices continually increase. 

My first driver was the hi bore, I loved that thing.  The sound off the club face was distinct.  Also played the the 3 wood hi bore too.  Very good clubs and I hope that these are just as good. 

All the best to Cleveland!

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

Will check out the hybrid for sure. My Mashie+ still hasn't been beat tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

I had a similar reaction.  And I think I kinda conveyed my thoughts maybe not fully in the blog comments.   Perhaps they see the market for a lower priced driver without the bells and whistles from a major golf company, I'm not sure there are any more out there.    

I am still a bit confused on where the CBX irons will fit, a replacement for the Z355 would have made some since, but it seems Barbs says they are more similar to the Z565 and will appeal to the lower mid cap player.   Maybe price point again is the factor there, being non forged the price does seem to compete with some of the other lower price offerings out there. 

I think there is a spot for Cleveland in the iron market, I played a set of Altitudes for awhile and really enjoyed them.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I had a similar reaction. And I think I kinda conveyed my thoughts maybe not fully in the blog comments. Perhaps they see the market for a lower priced driver without the bells and whistles from a major golf company, I'm not sure there are any more out there.

I am still a bit confused on where the CBX irons will fit, a replacement for the Z355 would have made some since, but it seems Barbs says they are more similar to the Z565 and will appeal to the lower mid cap player. Maybe price point again is the factor there, being non forged the price does seem to compete with some of the other lower price offerings out there.

Maybe I misspoke - the Srixon 355's are being discontinued, so you can consider these the "replacement." They do look a little more "player" than the 355's, IMO, but they're not sort of forged like the 565. My guess - and I've only hit the 4-7-PW - is that they're more forgiving than their 565's, but they don't kill you with Game Improvement looks - they're pretty understated for a GI iron.

The things are pretty hot, that's for sure. I was hitting a non-fit 7-iron about a club longer than my fit/pured Z 765 7-iron and was peppering the target green to the point where I'm thinking "dayum, these might have promise."

As is the case with GI irons, PW distance was really no different, but ain't was stupid easy to hit. The 4-iron I can't really talk about with getting physically aroused.

I didn't get along with the driver very well, but then again, I haven't gotten along with any driver this year- but it does go high. Ditto for the hybrid. I did particularly like the 3 wood, which is getting a trial in my bag to see how it behaves.

Some cutting room floor stuff, specifically regarding the adjustability -- both Brunske and Schielke agreed the general expectation for drivers these days is adjustability - but they said this particular driver is aimed at a particular golfer, and that adjustability for that time of golfer would be nothing more than a marketing bullet point. They preferred to keep the extra mass - and weight - away from the hosel area and move it further back and lower for more forgiveness and higher ball flight - longer and straighter, baby.

I particularly liked it when Schielke said if you're the kind of guy who likes to tinker, or you want to hit different kinds of shots, like a low fade, this driver is NOT for you. Again, think target market - recreational golfer who wants to hit it higher and farther than he has been so he can have a little more fun.

I have a buddy in Philly - loves to golf but just doesn't do it very often and couldn't see himself getting fit or investing a ton of money - who'd be perfect for the driver and the HB irons. He's not a great golfer, and isn't going to be. He's not going to take lessons and probably won't hit the range often, if at all. If these suckers can help him have a little more fun as he sails past 60, then I'm all for it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I have always been a Cleveland fan and the Launcher line was one of the best in its day.

Fujikura shafts were used for the "cleveland gold" and I still have a mint 5w Launcher that I cant replace with any HB out there. The best shot shaper Ive ever found. If these are akin to the earlier Z's they are on to something... and I for one will gladly hit them and see if they need to go in the bag. That would be my 588 stand bag.

Just saying....

Maybe I misspoke - the Srixon 355's are being discontinued, so you can consider these the "replacement." They do look a little more "player" than the 355's, IMO, but they're not sort of forged like the 565. My guess - and I've only hit the 4-7-PW - is that they're more forgiving than their 565's, but they don't kill you with Game Improvement looks - they're pretty understated for a GI iron.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I doubt you misspoke, it is probably a combination of my lack of comprehension and memory...ha    

So yes, I agree with you on both thoughts above, and as usual you explained it better than I was able to.  The pretty understated for a GI iron is probably what was throwing me off, and the fact that many people consider the 565 a GI is hard to wrap my head around, it has all the characteristics of a GI, but the looks and forged feel of a Mid players iron.   Just doesn't compute how h

I am excited about the return of the launcher driver. Back in the day it was a great driver and one of my favorites. I wish that I still had that driver. I could hit it high and long. I am not sure what I replaced it with. I think it was a Taylormade that had some bells and whistles.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wish they'd do some classic looks. Why all the spaceship stuff? It's everywhere, and it is really irritating.

Didn't they try that with the Cleveland Classic? Which I'm not sure of the actual numbers, but seems like it was not a success.

Didn't they try that with the Cleveland Classic? Which I'm not sure of the actual numbers, but seems like it was not a success.

Probably but I wasn't playing golf at that time... so I missed it all. I'll just have to dip all of my clubs from now on in acid to get rid of the paint. Haha

Sent from the Millennium Falcon...

- Alan

I already play and love Cleveland RTX 588 wedges and I have two of the Huntington Beach putters--the 6C is my favorite putter I have ever used. I also play the Srixon Z565 irons, and my usual ball is the Z Star XV. Needless to say, I have become a Srixon/Cleveland guy. The one area I haven't switched is my driver, woods, and hybrids. After the good ratings the Srixon drivers got in the testing on this site and the statement from the Cleveland R&D guys that the new Launcher just goes "high and straight," I have to say I'm intrigued...

I play the Cleveland 588 Altitude Irons and love them. If you like a high launching iron these are great. The new HB is very similar looking and should perform about the same way.

Would love to test them out, and really wanna try that driver and 3 wood.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

Probably but I wasn't playing golf at that time... so I missed it all. I'll just have to dip all of my clubs from now on in acid to get rid of the paint. Haha

- Alan

Except for that beauty of a JPX 900 Driver, that would be a crime against nature!!

- Alan

81G496sxnEL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm a big fan of Cleveland products and am looking forward to the new stuff.  I've played the Classic Driver, CB Black Driver, Original Hi-Bore Driver and several of their fairways and hybrids.  Great Products.  Can't wait to try these.  

I'm a fan of Cleveland because they are really focused on helping amateurs play better golf.  That's glaringly obvious in what they've done in their short game equipment the last few years and I think the new CBX wedges further that effort.  That said, I don't really get why they need to move back over to the woods/irons segment.  The Altitude-esque irons are horrific looking.  While I get that the HB driver has some legacy I just can't imagine it's going to be vastly easier to hit than the Srixon 565 driver.  Honestly, I believe the 565 irons are forgiving enough for even high handicappers to play with ease.  This seems like an odd move for Cleveland and I just don't see it getting any traction.

I'd love to see Srixon be the wood/hybrid/irons arm with Cleveland focusing solely on short game.  I'm a HUGE fan of the company...this move just seems a bit odd.

The Srixon 355 iron (their most forgiving club) didn't really take off. I think that it's a smart move on their part. Make the Srixons the high end forged line and the clevelands the more game/SGI line.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I'm a fan of Cleveland because they are really focused on helping amateurs play better golf.  That's glaringly obvious in what they've done in their short game equipment the last few years and I think the new CBX wedges further that effort.  That said, I don't really get why they need to move back over to the woods/irons segment.  The Altitude-esque irons are horrific looking.  While I get that the HB driver has some legacy I just can't imagine it's going to be vastly easier to hit than the Srixon 565 driver.  Honestly, I believe the 565 irons are forgiving enough for even high handicappers to play with ease.  This seems like an odd move for Cleveland and I just don't see it getting any traction.

I'd love to see Srixon be the wood/hybrid/irons arm with Cleveland focusing solely on short game.  I'm a HUGE fan of the company...this move just seems a bit odd.

Couldn't agree with you more!

The Srixon 355 iron (their most forgiving club) didn't really take off. I think that it's a smart move on their part. Make the Srixons the high end forged line and the clevelands the more game/SGI line.

This is the ONLY thought process I can see that would be any reason to deviate from Orange Hog's thoughts above.  And it will have to be more from the price standpoint I feel, as the 545's are easy enough for just about anyone to play, even a beginner that has the remotest ability to make a decent swing. 

I've always wanted to try more of a hybrid driving iron as my fairway woods are probably the worst part of my game. I good with my 4ir but want something that has a higher launch angle and longer distance. If i could get something to have to replace my 5wd for shots around 220yrd and something for my 3wd around 240-250yrd i'd be very happy.

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

Archived