tommc23

Cooking

Our Sponsors

20 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Fresh made buns from scratch, cast iron the quarter pound burgers, and made some.mac n cheese from scratch too hoping the mac n cheese turns out good.

20200430_150810.jpg

20200430_172439.jpg

20200430_172446.jpg

I hate you!😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I hate you!😂

Hahahha it was so good lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yungkory said:

I've never heard of this Vortex before, very interesting. It's like a budget friendly version of a slow-n-sear? I'm debating getting one of those Primo kamados when we get a new house (hopefully) towards the beginning or middle of next year. Might have to re-think that after seeing these. I wanted to go all out on a slow-n-sear grill but can't find anyone who will ship it to Hawaii. They sell Primos on Wayfair and supposedly they'll ship it here for free, but I'm not holding my breath.

Good on you! You've made it a long time, stay disciplined!

Looks similar to the slow'n'sear? Little different operation, I think, as this goes under the grate.

Altogether, with charcoal, chimney, grill and vortex, I have less than $150 stuck in this project so I'm happy.

1 hour ago, yungkory said:

Reverse searing has seriously changed my life for the better.

I agree, I never like to put sauce on good steak, and especially don't like to cook it past medium at the most. If you want beef jerky, don't come to our family dinners!

Rare, or medium rare if it's a fattier cut. 

Sous-vide followed by a hard sear, for me. Either cast iron or propane torch.

• Like 4

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.8 (Last Updated July 12, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT - Check out the pre-chatter thread!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra Black/Yellow Ultralight Cart Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to 7.5°), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°, set to 13.5°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow (Also: :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow)
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

So............. really bored. I'm a huge fan of cast iron pans. I have a 13", a 12", a 10" square, a 13" griddle and a #3 tiny, one egg pan/s. My daughters gave me a Lodge Dutch Oven for Father's Day last year. I think it's 10 qts.

I have always wanted to try Carbon steel pans. So I ordered  12.5", 10" and 8" Debuyer Mineral B pro Element pans from Amazon. I can't wait to get them and start playing ...lol.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, silver & black said:

So............. really bored. I'm a huge fan of cast iron pans. I have a 13", a 12", a 10" square, a 13" griddle and a #3 tiny, one egg pan/s. My daughters gave me a Lodge Dutch Oven for Father's Day last year. I think it's 10 qts.

I have always wanted to try Carbon steel pans. So I ordered  12.5", 10" and 8" Debuyer Mineral B pro Element pans from Amazon. I can't wait to get them and start playing ...lol.

Yea I love cooking in cast iron and stainless I am intrigued with carbon pans.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Yea I love cooking in cast iron and stainless I am intrigued with carbon pans.

Everything I've learned about them is that they are the same as cast iron, just lighter. You season them and take care of them exactly the same way.

I have a very good set of stainless pots and pans. I'm not a huge fan of them. I'd much rather use my cast iron... and hopefully my carbon steel when I get it.

• Like 2

Fresh made buns from scratch, cast iron the quarter pound burgers, and made some.mac n cheese from scratch too hoping the mac n cheese turns out good.
20200430_150810.thumb.jpg.4982a10d32d33e8988a72570f4876746.jpg
20200430_172439.thumb.jpg.8edc4e8ab866f97c67e2f34ae9068c20.jpg
20200430_172446.thumb.jpg.68db5cedd33fd7ed6948e4f15d6b1efd.jpg

Dammmm that looks good.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

20 minutes ago, silver & black said:

Everything I've learned about them is that they are the same as cast iron, just lighter. You season them and take care of them exactly the same way.

I have a very good set of stainless pots and pans. I'm not a huge fan of them. I'd much rather use my cast iron... and hopefully my carbon steel when I get it.

I really do like the stainless I use it a lot but let me know how the cast works for you. I did hear that cast is like carbon with carbon being lighter.

2 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Dammmm that looks good.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

It was the buns were good and it was an all day affair for tonight's meal. My meal for tomorrow being the cold ferment pizza is a 3 day ordeal so all day isn't that bad.

• Like 3

@edingc I order one of those Old Smokeys today can't wait to use it

• Like 4

I'm a glutten for punishment today I started a spaghetti sauce so when I get home from work tomorrow I can use the sauce on my pizza dough. Guess I'm doing spaghetti for the guys at work this week lol

• Like 5

15 hours ago, yungkory said:

I've never heard of this Vortex before, very interesting. It's like a budget friendly version of a slow-n-sear?

Cheaper and a bit different as @edingc said. You can use it multiple ways. Like he did and I do, with it in the middle full of coals and the meat around the outside. Or, you can turn it upside down and have the coals around the outside and put a whole chicken in the middle. Here's their website: https://vortexbbq.com/

• Like 3

In the bag:
:taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 4-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4
:cleveland-small: Smartsole S
:yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

image.png

17 hours ago, tommc23 said:

20200430_150810.jpg

20200430_172439.jpg

20200430_172446.jpg

I might be "borrowing" your homemade bun idea this weekend. 

We're likely making "Blue Pigs" Tomorrow night. 

75/25 special ground chuck (just means that the majority of the 25% is pork fat)
Thick Cut lightly candied bacon (coconut sugar)
Blue Cheese (hefty portion)
Lettuce, Maui Sweet Onion, Tomato
Homemade BBQ Sauce
Avacado Mayo (Try it!) 

Sweet potato parmesan Fries on the side with homemade fry sauce.  

Colorful, Sweet, Thick, Beefy & Funky..   It's like a 70's disco party for your mouth!

• Like 4

:cobra-small:  F8+ 9*/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:adams-small:  Tight Lies2  3 wood (14*) UST ProForce V2 Black (S+)
:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 4-GW 
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW 56/12 Wedge
:cleveland-small:  Huntington Beach #11 Putter

Current MGS test group member for fuji.jpg.2882d9125b503e4cc01e98268c2c0366.jpgMotoreX.jpg.5d63086430ba328b6d69e9b545a11340.jpg

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

I might be "borrowing" your homemade bun idea this weekend. 

We're likely making "Blue Pigs" Tomorrow night. 

75/25 special ground chuck (just means that the majority of the 25% is pork fat)
Thick Cut lightly candied bacon (coconut sugar)
Blue Cheese (hefty portion)
Lettuce, Maui Sweet Onion, Tomato
Homemade BBQ Sauce
Avacado Mayo (Try it!) 

Sweet potato parmesan Fries on the side with homemade fry sauce.  

Colorful, Sweet, Thick, Beefy & Funky..   It's like a 70's disco party for your mouth!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

YESSSS!!!! How awesome and easy is this?! 

Who know that essentially a gravy roux would be the starter for kick @$$ burger buns? 

Thx man!

• Like 1

:cobra-small:  F8+ 9*/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:adams-small:  Tight Lies2  3 wood (14*) UST ProForce V2 Black (S+)
:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 4-GW 
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW 56/12 Wedge
:cleveland-small:  Huntington Beach #11 Putter

Current MGS test group member for fuji.jpg.2882d9125b503e4cc01e98268c2c0366.jpgMotoreX.jpg.5d63086430ba328b6d69e9b545a11340.jpg

37 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

YESSSS!!!! How awesome and easy is this?! 

Who know that essentially a gravy roux would be the starter for kick @$$ burger buns? 

Thx man!

They are really buttery more so than brioche buns. I messed up and accidentally deflated the proof of the buns so I had to reproof them which I think made them tougher than desired but still delicious. They were easy to make and turned out great they just take half a day to make.

Broke out the Old Smokey and vortex again this afternoon, this time with some hickory chunks for smoke.

Smoked pork tenderloin with a garden tomatillo salsa verde over cauliflower rice. And some smoked chicken breasts for a Caesar salad later. 

Pork tenderloin was just a green chile rub, chicken was EQ brined at two percent salinity for about 26 hours.

Everything turned out great, though next time I'd cut the brine time down a bit. Not too salty, but the texture got to be a little too firm.

IMG_02052020_214319_(800_x_800_pixel).jpg.765d0c0836580e00b2eaaff5c08dbddd.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 2

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT - Check out the pre-chatter thread!

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to 7.5°), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°, set to 13.5°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow (Also: :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow)

1 hour ago, edingc said:

Broke out the Old Smokey and vortex again this afternoon, this time with some hickory chunks for smoke.

Smoked pork tenderloin with a garden tomatillo salsa verde over cauliflower rice. And some smoked chicken breasts for a Caesar salad later. 

Pork tenderloin was just a green chile rub, chicken was EQ brined at two percent salinity for about 26 hours.

Everything turned out great, though next time I'd cut the brine time down a bit. Not too salty, but the texture got to be a little too firm.

Yooo, I saw that on your IG story this morning. Looks frickin amazing

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

1 hour ago, edingc said:

That looks amazing! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yungkory said:

Yooo, I saw that on your IG story this morning. Looks frickin amazing

7 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

That looks amazing! 

Thanks! The pork turned out way better than I expected. Even the wife really liked it. The acidity of the tomatillo salsa really worked well with the savory smoke flavor of the tenderloin.

Still have a pork shoulder in the freezer that I'm going to sous vide and then smoke to finish. And now I definitely want to do some chicken drumsticks.

Charcoal is a bit of an operation to get going, but flavor is so much better than gas. And I love that when I clean the grill today I can salvage some charcoal chunks for reuse and the rest of the wood ash can go straight into my garden compost.

• Like 4