Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Cooking

tommc23

On 6/2/2020 at 2:13 PM, Shankster said:

I could use a new set of blades myself.

*checks price of them*

IMG_7779.PNG

That’s at least a half set of golf clubs.

All serious though. I do need to upgrade my cutlery, it’s served a long life.

This isn't a jab, or knocking azstu AT ALL, but most counter-top block sets are underused and you end up buying more than you need. Further, whatever that thing is, looks overpriced AF. Be weary when descriptions focus first/mostly on the materials in the handle vs. what type of steel it is made from.

For most at-home cooks I recommend brands like Wusthof, Zwilling, or Victorinox -- they even make a counter-top block if you still fancy going that route. Basically, most stuff you can find at Williams-Sonoma. Most people think they're like the big box store of the cooking world, but they don't carry anything that you could relate to "the hammer" or an alien wedge -- if that analogy makes sense? They carry quality brands and stand by their vendors.

If you want to go JDM, probably the most commonly purchased brand is Shun. Like irons, if it's made out of metal, Japan just does it better. IMO, you can do everything except filet with a good, sharp ~6" chef's knife, and a paring knife. Personally, I use my Wusthof Santoku that I got from Amazon for like $80 8-years ago the most. It holds an edge nicely, got it professionally sharpened twice in that span. For vegetables, I bought a Yoshihiro nakiri knife. The thing is scary sharp. Cut myself wiping vegetables off of the side of it one of the first times I used it, and that was when it was from factory. Even sharper after getting the edge professionally redone.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

This isn't a jab, or knocking azstu AT ALL, but most counter-top block sets are underused and you end up buying more than you need. Further, whatever that thing is, looks overpriced AF. Be weary when descriptions focus first/mostly on the materials in the handle vs. what type of steel it is made from.
For most at-home cooks I recommend brands like Wusthof, Zwilling, or Victorinox -- they even make a counter-top block if you still fancy going that route. Basically, most stuff you can find at Williams-Sonoma. Most people think they're like the big box store of the cooking world, but they don't carry anything that you could relate to "the hammer" or an alien wedge -- if that analogy makes sense? They carry quality brands and stand by their vendors.
If you want to go JDM, probably the most commonly purchased brand is Shun. Like irons, if it's made out of metal, Japan just does it better. IMO, you can do everything except filet with a good, sharp ~6" chef's knife, and a paring knife. Personally, I use my Wusthof Santoku that I got from Amazon for like $80 8-years ago the most. It holds an edge nicely, got it professionally sharpened twice in that span. For vegetables, I bought a Yoshihiro nakiri knife. The thing is scary sharp. Cut myself wiping vegetables off of the side of it one of the first times I used it, and that was when it was from factory. Even sharper after getting the edge professionally redone.

Yeah. I have been eyeing a bunka hand forged knife. This was slightly sarcastic.

Looking for a 8”-10” Chef Knife. Mine won’t hold an edge for nothing.

Just now, Shankster said:

Yeah. I have been eyeing a bunka hand forged knife. This was slightly sarcastic.

Looking for a 8”-10” Chef Knife. Mine won’t hold an edge for nothing.

What kind of cutting board do you use? I try to use my cherry one for everything except meat. I just don't feel like it's safe to put raw meat on a porous surface. The Wusthof can touch the plastic ones all day, but I never use my expensive knives on plastic/hard surfaces.

6 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I love my Wusthof santoku great knife. 

2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Bamboo and plastic.

Yeah, those are both going to be rough on the edge of your knives. You seem like you might enjoy a DIY wood-working project, you should build your own board!

Yeah, those are both going to be rough on the edge of your knives. You seem like you might enjoy a DIY wood-working project, you should build your own board!

I do have a maple butcher block that I use from time to time.

So cherry you say?

You are not helping my cause on getting new knives now.

9 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I do have a maple butcher block that I use from time to time.

So cherry you say?

You are not helping my cause on getting new knives now. emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Any soft wood will do. The softer it is, the better for your blade, but as with anything there is give/take. https://www.misen.co/blogs/news/best-wood-for-cutting-board

Too soft, you will obviously ruin the surface quicker. Also, you run the risk of contaminates soaking in. This is why I have a "junk" knife for cutting meat because I still use plastic for that.

Too hard, and you obviously have to sharpen/hone your edge more often. Safer and easier to maintain the board itself.

I treat it like pans -- I'm willing to spend up a bit for quality because I'm hoping it's one of those things I buy once, ever. I have an end-grain maple. It was $150 but I'm hoping I never need to buy another one. 

Any soft wood will do. The softer it is, the better for your blade, but as with anything there is give/take. https://www.misen.co/blogs/news/best-wood-for-cutting-board
Too soft, you will obviously ruin the surface quicker. Also, you run the risk of contaminates soaking in. This is why I have a "junk" knife for cutting meat because I still use plastic for that.
Too hard, and you obviously have to sharpen/hone your edge more often. Safer and easier to maintain the board itself.
I treat it like pans -- I'm willing to spend up a bit for quality because I'm hoping it's one of those things I buy once, ever. I have an end-grain maple. It was $150 but I'm hoping I never need to buy another one. 

Yeah, we mostly use cast iron pans. A few stainless steel.

I’m a buy quality and expect it to last guy.

I'm going to be cooking my first brisket on my old smokey for the guys at work tomorrow which will be different and hopefully good.
If you haven't done a brisket, make sure and give yourself plenty of time and PATIENCE. I've learned the hard way by pulling too early and the connective fat didn't have enough time to break down.

Yes please post pics!

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

11 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

If you haven't done a brisket, make sure and give yourself plenty of time and PATIENCE. I've learned the hard way by pulling too early and the connective fat didn't have enough time to break down.

Yes please post pics!

Oh yea I'm gonna wake my ass up at 4 sm.and put it on, fall back asleep then wake up at 7. I'll tend the fire at that time and then cook it for 10 to 12 hours. My goal is 205 to 210 internal I've talked to lots of friends who make them often so I got a good idea how I want it to go.

2 hours ago, yungkory said:

Oh believe me, this was all thought out and researched prior to buying. The set we had prior was a wedding present 10 yrs ago and I'm 10 times the cook now from then.

For starters, it's a Costco set. They'll take anything back if it ends up being crap.

For the knives themselves, they actually market the steel and hardness rating rather than handle material. I researched the hell out of this brand before buying.

Every knife in this set will get used regularly as it's pretty similar to what we had.

If I could have things my way, I'd definitely buy the pricy individual knives. But as a more budget friendly option, we get steak knives, which we very much needed, bread knife for homemade bread, boning knife for trimming and separating cuts, tomato knife which my wife absolutely loves, kitchen shears for spatchcocking birds and other utility purposes, etc. All of which I'm doing on a regular basis. The sharpening steel it came with is also very good quality. For $200 I don't feel ripped off at all.

Here's the link. You can see the knives included and construction details. Pretty detailed imo. Maybe it's marketing fluff.? Time will tell

https://www.costco.com/cangshan-s-series-17-piece-forged-german-steel-knife-set.product.100458925.html

Cangshan Knife Set.

Hand expertly sharpened

German sourced stain resistant high-alloy  X50Cr15MoV steel

Metal hardness rating: HRC 58 +/- 2 on the Rockwell Hardness Scale

Angled bolster design that comfortably aligns and accommodates a natural and firm pinch grip

Edited by azstu324

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Oh believe me, this was all thought out and researched prior to buying. The set we had prior was a wedding present 10 yrs ago and I'm 10 times the cook now from then.

For starters, it's a Costco set. They'll take anything back if it ends up being crap.

For the knives themselves, they actually market the steel and hardness rating rather than handle material. I researched the hell out of this brand before buying.

Every knife in this set will get used regularly as it's pretty similar to what we had.

If I could have things my way, I'd definitely buy the pricy individual knives. But as a more budget friendly option, we get steak knives, which we very much needed, bread knife for homemade bread, boning knife for trimming and separating cuts, tomato knife which my wife absolutely loves, kitchen shears for spatchcocking birds and other utility purposes, etc. All of which I'm doing on a regular basis. The sharpening steel it came with is also very good quality. For $200 I don't feel ripped off at all.

Here's the link. You can see the knives included and construction details. Pretty detailed imo. Maybe it's marketing fluff.? Time will tell
https://www.costco.com/cangshan-s-series-17-piece-forged-german-steel-knife-set.product.100458925.html

Cangshan Knife Set.

Hand expertly sharpened

Angled bolster design that comfortably aligns and accommodates a natural and firm pinch grip

Thanks for the link Sir. I’m gonna check them out. We’ve had ours for nearly as long, but I’m a worse cook now than before.

Another new hobby?

We do have a sweet garden going. Hopefully I didn’t kill the tomato plants. Might have gotten a little overzealous with the plant food...

5 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Cangshan Knife Set.

Hand expertly sharpened

Yeah, like I said it wasn't a criticism of your purchase, just some advice from personal experience 🤙🏼

40 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

That's looking amazing!

It looks good so far been on since 430 haven't been able to fall back asleep but the charcoal went out and I wasn't able to get it relit without redoing the whole chimney thing so it got put into my propane smoker. I need the flip up sides for my old smokey for long cooks and I also need to tend the charcoal better lesson learned. 

8 hours ago, yungkory said:

Yeah, like I said it wasn't a criticism of your purchase, just some advice from personal experience 🤙🏼

hey man, not feeling criticized at all. Believe me, If it were up to me I'd have some pretty baller knives. Just like my golf clubs, unfortunately I can't have the newest and nicest but I look hard and research for good equipment that gets the job done at an affordable price. These seemed to be right in that range. Already they appear to be much nicer than the original set we got. I'll probably use them for another 8 - 10 years, junk em, and get another set. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

16 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Oh yea I'm gonna wake my ass up at 4 sm.and put it on, fall back asleep then wake up at 7. I'll tend the fire at that time and then cook it for 10 to 12 hours. My goal is 205 to 210 internal I've talked to lots of friends who make them often so I got a good idea how I want it to go.

I learned to cook brisket on my Weber by reading the instructions here:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/smoked-brisket-texas-style

After reading through the interesting discussion about "the stall", I chose to use their suggestion for the "Texas Crutch".  So instead of 10 or 12 hours, it "only" took about 6 or 7.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Just now, DaveP043 said:

I learned to cook brisket on my Weber by reading the instructions here:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/smoked-brisket-texas-style

After reading through the interesting discussion about "the stall", I chose to use their suggestion for the "Texas Crutch".  So instead of 10 or 12 hours, it "only" took about 6 or 7.  

I'm only a few degrees from my desired temp it still feels tight with being probed but it is almost there.

Maybe not the popular opinion on knives, but I have a cheap, aluminum-handled Rada cook's knife that I bought from Amazon for something like $12. It's not a "lifetime" knife, but it is made in USA and plenty sharp, especially since I use cheap plastic cutting boards. I use it for almost everything, except for deboning (I have a Rada boning knife), and for cracking open winter squash (I have an old heavy Santoku). The Rada is extremely thin and wouldn't stand up to the harder rinds on those squash.

Just another option instead of a more expensive, lifetime knife. I have a very small kitchen with limited storage space, so I love that I only need a few knifes and cutting boards for everything.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Finished product pulled it at 9 hours cooked at 300°. Internal temp was 205 but the point proved like butter and so did the flat. I'm going to nap since I've been up since 0400 and shower. I'll let it rest for a few hours then slice it for the guys at work. The bark tasted good when I picked it up and had to lick my fingers because why not lol. I'm doing a salad as a side for dinner since we are eating this salty fatty thing for dinner trying to remain level. I have some beef spare ribs in the fridge to cook on a day before I work overtime to share with a friend at work I talk bbq with.

20200605_133031.jpg

Finished product pulled it at 9 hours cooked at 300°. Internal temp was 205 but the point proved like butter and so did the flat. I'm going to nap since I've been up since 0400 and shower. I'll let it rest for a few hours then slice it for the guys at work. The bark tasted good when I picked it up and had to lick my fingers because why not lol. I'm doing a salad as a side for dinner since we are eating this salty fatty thing for dinner trying to remain level. I have some beef spare ribs in the fridge to cook on a day before I work overtime to share with a friend at work I talk bbq with.
20200605_133031.jpg.17c3d66b0afed3657ac4ffdae3266b3b.jpg

Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

5 hours ago, azstu324 said:

hey man, not feeling criticized at all. Believe me, If it were up to me I'd have some pretty baller knives. Just like my golf clubs, unfortunately I can't have the newest and nicest but I look hard and research for good equipment that gets the job done at an affordable price. These seemed to be right in that range. Already they appear to be much nicer than the original set we got. I'll probably use them for another 8 - 10 years, junk em, and get another set. 

If you want to learn about chef knives, check out Burrfection on You Tube. His name is RykyTran. You will watch everything...lol. I ended up purchasing a Yaxel Dragon. Not cheap, but not nearly as expensive as they can get. 

4 hours ago, tommc23 said:

20200605_133031.jpg

That looks tasty! 

If you want to learn about chef knives, check out Burrfection on You Tube. His name is RykyTran. You will watch everything...lol. I ended up purchasing a Yaxel Dragon. Not cheap, but not nearly as expensive as they can get. 
I have actually seen his videos. He did a partnership with Cangshan to do some gift packs for student chefs and other service folks. Pretty cool.

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Well. I started taking about cooking. It has been demanded that I start doing my BBQ again. I used to make a Maple BBQ sauce that won me a Rib contest, and a second place the following year...

No not a real competition, but my dads buddy would get 10 people every year and buy us all $100 worth of ribs to cook. Dad won twice.

Yep. Looks like I’ll be ordering some of this....
IMG_7800.JPG