Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Cooking

tommc23

So I don’t have a smoker, and while searching for one I found some guys that use just the regular Weber kettle as a smoker. So I looked up a few things and went for it. Did a pork tenderloin the first 2 times, one I took to temp 145° and sliced it. Super delicious. Used Apple wood. The second time I took it to 205° and shredded. Amazing. Cooked between 225° and 250° and they came out amazing. I used a method called “Snake”. You set up the charcoal around the outside edge going 2 wide then add another layer on top to form a half or 3/4 circle around the charcoal grate. Then place a couple pcs of wood chunks on top of the charcoal. I can cook at 225°-250° for 6-7 hours without touching it. Next time I smoke something I will be sure to get photos. I am so happy I found this method for smoking. Now I don’t have to buy a smoker. It works so good. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

5 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

So I don’t have a smoker, and while searching for one I found some guys that use just the regular Weber kettle as a smoker. So I looked up a few things and went for it. Did a pork tenderloin the first 2 times, one I took to temp 145° and sliced it. Super delicious. Used Apple wood. The second time I took it to 205° and shredded. Amazing. Cooked between 225° and 250° and they came out amazing. I used a method called “Snake”. You set up the charcoal around the outside edge going 2 wide then add another layer on top to form a half or 3/4 circle around the charcoal grate. Then place a couple pcs of wood chunks on top of the charcoal. I can cook at 225°-250° for 6-7 hours without touching it. Next time I smoke something I will be sure to get photos. I am so happy I found this method for smoking. Now I don’t have to buy a smoker. It works so good. 

interesting, so you don't have anything the diverts the heat at all?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

14 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I did this with beef ribs yesterday turned out amazing but I forgot to take pictures for this thread.

9 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

That's awesome! Thank you for posting that article and even though I have a smoker, reading it I learned something. I can't say I've studied the intricacies of smoking, I generally fill the water pan, throw in some chips, and my smoker is going. I had never heard that the water is a heat sink and by using more it would basically keep the temperature lower. That is, if I'm reading it right. I've always had an issue getting mine anywhere above 225, but my water pan is huge and will hold about a gallon. I've always just filled it up. Now I'm going to have to experiment.

Pulled pork is the bane of my existence, as getting it to an internal temperature of 205 takes just a shade over forever. I'm curious now to see if by cutting the water, it'll help. 

24 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

That's awesome! Thank you for posting that article and even though I have a smoker, reading it I learned something. I can't say I've studied the intricacies of smoking, I generally fill the water pan, throw in some chips, and my smoker is going. I had never heard that the water is a heat sink and by using more it would basically keep the temperature lower. That is, if I'm reading it right. I've always had an issue getting mine anywhere above 225, but my water pan is huge and will hold about a gallon. I've always just filled it up. Now I'm going to have to experiment.

Pulled pork is the bane of my existence, as getting it to an internal temperature of 205 takes just a shade over forever. I'm curious now to see if by cutting the water, it'll help. 

Yep, the water will act as a barrier and help you cook more indirectly, and also creates steam as the water evaporates (duh). Once I get out of this condo and can have a grill I'm probably going to get one of these: https://snsgrills.com/products/slow-n-sear-deluxe and a classic Webber kettle, or a Primo Jr oval if it's not a ridiculous amount to ship to Hawaii.

7 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Yep, the water will act as a barrier and help you cook more indirectly, and also creates steam as the water evaporates (duh). Once I get out of this condo and can have a grill I'm probably going to get one of these: https://snsgrills.com/products/slow-n-sear-deluxe and a classic Webber kettle, or a Primo Jr oval if it's not a ridiculous amount to ship to Hawaii.

It's nice to learn new things, and I actually feel a little dumb for not knowing it. 

Btw, I googled the grill you're looking at, and it's nice! Hopefully you can get one delivered to Hawaii without giving up a kidney. That is the bad thing about living in paradise I'd never thought about....shipping. After looking up the grill, I saw this advertised on the forum. Screenshot_20200609-185342_Chrome-01.jpeg.66130802d6ac86364a366d86c7db3136.jpeg

2 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

It's nice to learn new things, and I actually feel a little dumb for not knowing it. 

Btw, I googled the grill you're looking at, and it's nice! Hopefully you can get one delivered to Hawaii without giving up a kidney. That is the bad thing about living in paradise I'd never thought about....shipping. After looking up the grill, I saw this advertised on the forum. Screenshot_20200609-185342_Chrome-01.jpeg.66130802d6ac86364a366d86c7db3136.jpeg

THEY'RE LISTENING!

The SnS I'm not too worried about shipping. If anything I can bring one back with me on my next trip. The Primo is ceramic and HEAVY, probably cost like $500 to ship. Hopefully we get a local distributor in the next year, but to be honest BBQ isn't all that popular here.

13 minutes ago, yungkory said:

THEY'RE LISTENING!

The SnS I'm not too worried about shipping. If anything I can bring one back with me on my next trip. The Primo is ceramic and HEAVY, probably cost like $500 to ship. Hopefully we get a local distributor in the next year, but to be honest BBQ isn't all that popular here.

Have you considered the Big Green Egg?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

3 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Have you considered the Big Green Egg?

Yeah but it's too big and too green 😉

3 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

These are also on my radar. My boss has a Traeger gas grill. I've just never tasted food made on a pellet grill so I'm hesitant? I'm sure it's good but hard to pull the trigger at $699 -- like buying a set of irons I've never held in my hands

14 minutes ago, yungkory said:

These are also on my radar. My boss has a Traeger gas grill. I've just never tasted food made on a pellet grill so I'm hesitant? I'm sure it's good but hard to pull the trigger at $699 -- like buying a set of irons I've never held in my hands

Honestly if you cook it hot you only get a slight smoke taste. They have a wide range of temps and most of the time when you get above 300 you get very little smoke taste

6 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Honestly if you cook it hot you only get a slight smoke taste. They have a wide range of temps and most of the time when you get above 300 you get very little smoke taste

Can you use lump charcoal as well? I honestly don't really know how pellet grills work

My wife made this tonight, it is sticky honey chicken wings. She has a love for Asian cuisine and found it on a channel called Asian at Home. They were phenomenal! 20200609_191012-01.jpeg.a0af5a03330afd9133b6d8473b67ef50.jpeg
[/url]  

Great job

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Not sure if it was already mentioned but water is also used to help evenly distribute the heat when the heating element is smaller and more concentrated.

Another option for water that will help keep the temp more stable is sand or even stones. In my previous masterbuilt smoker I'd use rocks from my yard and just place a tin can filled with water in the middle. Worked great.

My Big Chief doesn't require any heat distribution and does a killer job at smoking.. but only gets up to about 165-170° so the cooking is finished on the grill.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

8 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Not sure if it was already mentioned but water is also used to help evenly distribute the heat when the heating element is smaller and more concentrated.

Another option for water that will help keep the temp more stable is sand or even stones. In my previous masterbuilt smoker I'd use rocks from my yard and just place a tin can filled with water in the middle. Worked great.

My Big Chief doesn't require any heat distribution and does a killer job at smoking.. but only gets up to about 165-170° so the cooking is finished on the grill.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

That is what I disliked the most about the big chief the temp it cooked at

15 hours ago, yungkory said:

interesting, so you don't have anything the diverts the heat at all?

I do use a pan of hot water under the meat. As far as diverting the heat with foil or pan, no. I will get a couple photos and video of what it looks like next time I set it up. Here is a snapshot from a you tube video for set up. To start the “snake” I use a pan with 6-8 pcs or charcoal and let them turn white then use tongs to place them at the start of the snake. 

F41584AE-8C62-4F85-9FCC-ABF87DE95C9D.png

Edited by Kor.A.Door

15 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I use hot water to start with then after starting the charcoal let the grill come up to temp then put the meat on. Yes. Getting the pork to 205° does seem to take forever. It took about 7 hours with temps between 225 and 250. I never let it go above 250 or below 225. There is a fine line with the kettle grill for having it too open or too closed. I just kept my eye on it. 

Nicely done!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver- Cobra Speedzone 9° default_cobra-small.jpg.bf0039c0fa211a003217e70e184035fa.jpg

Woods- Sub70 Pro 5-Wood   08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg  

Utility- Titleist 718 T-MB 4 Utility  default_titelist-small.jpg.d620943db19c6c6f477d78c3e6dcfb1b.jpg

Irons- Sub70 649 MB Tour 5-PW, 699 Pro 2U  08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg

Wedges- Cleveland Zipcore RTX 52°,56°, 60°  default_cleveland-small.jpg.0615c53919b7f92c3524630e353b33bb.jpg

Putter- Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 default_cameron-small.gif.dd99234f0267bb38c40c23053034a445.gif

Ball- Titleist ProV1x default_titelist-small.jpg.d620943db19c6c6f477d78c3e6dcfb1b.jpg  

On 8/9/2017 at 11:53 AM, DaveP043 said:

Maybe once a year I make gumbo with duck and mushrooms, and render the fat from the ducks to use to make the roux.  I always hope I get more duck fat than I need, so I can use it another time to cook my home-fries in.  Duck fat is even better than bacon fat.

I was in Charleston a few years ago and went to a local dive bar called the Tattooed Moose, they had duck fat fries...simply the most amazing fries I have ever had!!!  We went back two more times in the week to get more. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I just got a pellet smoker a few days ago.  I am really excited about it.  I have never smoked anything before but with the pellets and automated feeding system I think this is a great way to start.  I love BBQ and so does my family.  I bought a Pit Boss and after one cook with it am very happy so far.  Ribs this weekend.  Think I am going to love the learning process with this adventure. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

5 hours ago, tommc23 said:

That is what I disliked the most about the big chief the temp it cooked at

Yeah that was the one hesitation that I had when I bought it was that it's primarily a smoker and not much of a cooker vs. my previous smoker. Fast forward to today though, having made about every standard type of smoked meat on the Big Chief (Beef, Pork, Chicken, Turkey, Sausage, Jerky), the finished product has been hands down better than my previous Masterbuilt. Finishing on the grill where I can adjust the temp for cooking 250+ and searing 800+ has worked perfectly for my needs. It works well because it slow cooks up to pre-temp and doesn't lose any moisture (that I can tell) and flash searing/finishing on the grill to a final temp works perfectly. 

If given a choice between my $100 Big Chief and my $300 Masterbuilt based on simplicity and finished product I would easily choose the Big Chief. 

I'm sure there are much better products out there but for ease of use, $, and final result, the Big Chief is a rockstar IMO. 

Definitely interested in seeing the rigs you all have too! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

19 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Hey man one investment that is worth its weight in gold if you like the shredded meats, is a digital pressure cooker. 

I'll cut the pork into large cubes and let sit in the smoker for a good couple of hours to get up to about 160 internal temp and then put in the pressure cooker to finish for about 30-45 min for flawless, smoked shredded goodness. often times in between the smoker and the cooker, I'll sear all of the ends of the meat on the grill for some extra flavor. You can add extra moisture like veggie stalk, green salsa, etc, etc, to the crock pot to ensure the end result isn't too dry and has some extra zip. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

3 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Hey man one investment that is worth its weight in gold if you like the shredded meats, is a digital pressure cooker. 

I'll cut the pork into large cubes and let sit in the smoker for a good couple of hours to get up to about 160 internal temp and then put in the pressure cooker to finish for about 30-45 min for flawless, smoked shredded goodness. often times in between the smoker and the cooker, I'll sear all of the ends of the meat on the grill for some extra flavor. You can add extra moisture like veggie stalk, green salsa, etc, etc, to the crock pot to ensure the end result isn't too dry and has some extra zip. 

I've considered a pressure cooker, but never thought about how nice it would be for finishing off smoked food. Plus, the extra moisture sounds like it could add interesting flavor. Definitely worth considering! Thank you!

2 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I've considered a pressure cooker, but never thought about how nice it would be for finishing off smoked food. Plus, the extra moisture sounds like it could add interesting flavor. Definitely worth considering! Thank you!

INSTANT POT!!! Seriously a life saver when you need good food, quickly.

12 minutes ago, yungkory said:

INSTANT POT!!! Seriously a life saver when you need good food, quickly.

YEAH MAN! I didn't want to name brand drop.. 😛 But Instant Pot's the business! My wife still uses a crock pot some times (because she's afraid of the pressure cooker) and it drives me bonkers having the smell of food all day without being able to eat for hours. 

Edited by azstu324

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Well hello....IMG_8380.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS