Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Personally I found muscle groups that helped my swing was the back, glutes and hamstrings. Flexibility and balance is something else I work on.

Straight leg deadlifts and good mornings are two of my favourite exercises to work those muscle groups. Also doing lunges and single leg squat/deadlift help with the balance.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I try not to go to the gym too much because my shoulders get too dang big. My shoulders are big enough from years of doing strongman and powerlifting. When I do go go the gym it's for cardio and I use the bands to try to increase my flexibility. Bands to work on your core are also key and help your swing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

If you're on Instagram, check out PFS Golf (and all the guys associated with them - AndoPFS, etc), MyTPI (Titleist Performance Institute), Joey D, and Kolby Tullier (KWayne - does a lot with Brooks K, Justin Thomas, Lexi Thompson). They have a lot of good videos/resources for muscle stability and flexibility. Lots of shoulder/hip/core work, which is what really helps the golf swing. Also, I'll side with Canuklehead and say that regular leg/hip workouts will do wonders for the power in your swing.

If you have/had knee issues, do a seated leg press instead of a squat. It's easier on the joints and less of a risk tearing a ligament. Don't neglect your hamstrings and hips. Most machines/leg workouts do a lot on the quads so keep that in mind. 

If you really want to do some crazy stuff in the gym, follow the guys on the long drive circuit. Their gym sessions are off the wall. Explosive movement with a lot of weight. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I absolutely LOVE my time at my local gym.  It not only makes me feel better physically but mentally as well.  In fact I can go in for a work out in a bit of a lull and when I walk out the door I feel much better.  I suppose it get's the old juices flowing and wakes up my spirit. I guess you could say I'm truly addicted to four days per week and if I miss a day (which is rare) I miss the heck out of it. 

I start out with 20 - 25 minutes on the elliptical with 5 minutes cool down.  I then head over to the machines and run through my little routine of 10 x 3 reps on most all of them.  I prefer the machines over the free weights at my age as it helps to prevent joint damage.  A few months back I was into bench pressing although I have since moved on to the machines.  

What I'm considering is getting into the senior yoga program which they offer at my gym. My wife was attending for a while and enjoyed it. I was thinking that was too sissy for a big ole country boy like me but I'm thinking  I may be wrong. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 2 months later...

Personally I found muscle groups that helped my swing was the back, glutes and hamstrings. Flexibility and balance is something else I work on.

Straight leg deadlifts and good mornings are two of my favourite exercises to work those muscle groups. Also doing lunges and single leg squat/deadlift help with the balance.

Great advice from Canucklehead. A strong posterior chain will help you on so many levels. 

Here's a rough idea and a few thoughts on my training this winter:

Lots of trap bar deadlifts. A lot of people agree that it probably has the best "real world carry-over" of any gym exercise. It's not that technically difficult, chance of injury is fairly slim (with decent technique) and you can lift a loft of weight with this one. A good guideline is 2X your body weight for adequate strength. 

I also really like the Jefferson deadlift. It's a bizarre looking old school lift, but addresses rotational aspects more than other lifts. It's great at ironing out asymmetries and can be used to rehab back (especially SI) issues. Just google Dellanave Jefferson deadlift for a tutorial. 

Those are the only lifts I'll be doing for strength. Keeping reps in the 3-5 range typically.

For upper boy, I'll focus on push ups (typically on rings), pullups and inverted rows (with rings).

I'm also going to experiment with the Pallof press to address rotational strength. I'll also look into jumps and medicine ball throws too.

I'll do strength work 2-3X per week.

I've got a bunch of Kettlebells at home and will do a few swings and Turkish Get Ups most days. If you've got any shoulder issues, Turkish Get Ups are a fantastic way to rehab them. 

I'll do mobility work daily too.

That's the rough plan. I'll update more as I progress.

Driver -         Titleist 915 D3, 9.5 degree, Diamana D+ 70 S

3 Wood -      Callaway GBB Epic, 15 degree, Fujikura Pro 72 S

Hybrid -        Cobra F7, 19 degree, Fujikura Pro 75 S

Long Irons - Ben Hogan Ft Worth HI, 23, 27, 31 degrees, KBS C-Taper Lite S

Mid Irons -   Ben Hogan Ft Worth, 35, 39, 43, 47 degrees, KBS C-Taper Lite S

Wedges -     Ben Hogan TK, 51,55,59, KBS wedge shafts

Putter -         Ping Ketsch Mid, slight arc

Great advice from Canucklehead. A strong posterior chain will help you on so many levels.

Here's a rough idea and a few thoughts on my training this winter:

Lots of trap bar deadlifts. A lot of people agree that it probably has the best "real world carry-over" of any gym exercise. It's not that technically difficult, chance of injury is fairly slim (with decent technique) and you can lift a loft of weight with this one. A good guideline is 2X your body weight for adequate strength.

I also really like the Jefferson deadlift. It's a bizarre looking old school lift, but addresses rotational aspects more than other lifts. It's great at ironing out asymmetries and can be used to rehab back (especially SI) issues. Just google Dellanave Jefferson deadlift for a tutorial.

Those are the only lifts I'll be doing for strength. Keeping reps in the 3-5 range typically.

For upper boy, I'll focus on push ups (typically on rings), pullups and inverted rows (with rings).

I'm also going to experiment with the Pallof press to address rotational strength. I'll also look into jumps and medicine ball throws too.

I'll do strength work 2-3X per week.

I've got a bunch of Kettlebells at home and will do a few swings and Turkish Get Ups most days. If you've got any shoulder issues, Turkish Get Ups are a fantastic way to rehab them.

I'll do mobility work daily too.

That's the rough plan. I'll update more as I progress.

Just googled what a Jefferson deadlift is. Never even heard of it before. Will be something I try next leg day!

Alternating months I do some extreme super sets one month.

The next month I will take more breaks but go extremely heavy with less reps.Im not really doing this for golf conditioning.More for my own goals of what I've been working for body wise.

Keep it in the short stuff

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Never lifted weights before I was 50, but always enjoyed hard physical labour since I was 5 years old when I would sneak out to the shed and chop wood.

I now lift weights 6-8 times per week, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.  I split workouts morning and late evenings on days and still get enough work in if a miss on or two sessions.  Working out at home helps a lot. This allows me to finish each session quicker to help lesson systematic fatigue.  Always sleep great after a late workout.  Also allows more chances to focus on a specific muscle group harder before becoming tired during a session.

Trying to limit the pain in my joints since I have severe tendonitis in almost every joint in my body.   I lift in a volume rep range, never less that 6 reps per set all the way up to 20-30 reps.  For each muscle group I do 8-12 sets.  Each session I work harder than last time with more weight, reps or sets.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

For the vast majority of my adult life, I used to be a gym rat but have been crazy lazy over the last 5 years or so. Combination of injuries, getting older, procrastination. But none of it a good enough excuse, of course.

Used to be very muscular and was always lucky in that muscle memory is real and I could rebound very quickly, usually within only weeks. At 52, before Covid, was one such rebound. I was extremely happy to realize that I could still bounce back even in my 50s. Well, I'll be 55 next month, in my worst shape, maybe ever, but still not (absolutely) terrible. I'm just a precious and tenuous 2 days back in the gym. Hoping to stick to it once again.

My workout is a version similar to what it's always been, push/pull concept.

Typical would be:

Day 1

Chest/tris, abs

Day 2

Back/bis, calves

Day 3

Shoulders, abs

Day 4

Legs

In my youth, I'd only take one day off per week and often double-split workouts on the same day. But now I'll only hit each bodypart once/week and depending upon if I combine workouts or not in any given week, take 3 or even 4 days off/week (on "days off" I'll still try to take part in physically exerting activities).

The amount of sets and reps will vary relative to my current fitness level and goals. But generally I'll go heavier for a week (reps in the 10-12 range) and then lighter for the next week (12-20 reps or so). 3 or 4 sets max for each exercise except for when on the leg press machine. That'll usually be about 8 sets, varying foot position. I'll use mostly free weights yet plenty of machines too. But the foundation of my workout is still compound movements, bench, squat, dips, leg press, shoulder press, etc. Deadlifts have been out for me for a while now as my back is shot and I cannot seem to find a safe position of leverage while deadlifting.

To benefit golf (and my lower back) I've found that a strong core is absolutely imperative. Crunches, weighted rope crunches, planks, chops, etc... anything to firm up that bridge between the upper and lower bodies.

When I hit core reasonably hard, without ever giving it any extra, I'll gain 1 to 1.5 club distance every single time. There truly is no substitute for a strong core during the golf swing.

Except maybe... flexibility. I work at it, but I don't have very much of that.

On 10/23/2022 at 1:36 AM, Will_Mac said:

For the vast majority of my adult life, I used to be a gym rat but have been crazy lazy over the last 5 years or so. Combination of injuries, getting older, procrastination. But none of it a good enough excuse, of course.

Used to be very muscular and was always lucky in that muscle memory is real and I could rebound very quickly, usually within only weeks. At 52, before Covid, was one such rebound. I was extremely happy to realize that I could still bounce back even in my 50s. Well, I'll be 55 next month, in my worst shape, maybe ever, but still not (absolutely) terrible. I'm just a precious and tenuous 2 days back in the gym. Hoping to stick to it once again.

My workout is a version similar to what it's always been, push/pull concept.

Typical would be:

Day 1

Chest/tris, abs

Day 2

Back/bis, calves

Day 3

Shoulders, abs

Day 4

Legs

In my youth, I'd only take one day off per week and often double-split workouts on the same day. But now I'll only hit each bodypart once/week and depending upon if I combine workouts or not in any given week, take 3 or even 4 days off/week (on "days off" I'll still try to take part in physically exerting activities).

The amount of sets and reps will vary relative to my current fitness level and goals. But generally I'll go heavier for a week (reps in the 10-12 range) and then lighter for the next week (12-20 reps or so). 3 or 4 sets max for each exercise except for when on the leg press machine. That'll usually be about 8 sets, varying foot position. I'll use mostly free weights yet plenty of machines too. But the foundation of my workout is still compound movements, bench, squat, dips, leg press, shoulder press, etc. Deadlifts have been out for me for a while now as my back is shot and I cannot seem to find a safe position of leverage while deadlifting.

To benefit golf (and my lower back) I've found that a strong core is absolutely imperative. Crunches, weighted rope crunches, planks, chops, etc... anything to firm up that bridge between the upper and lower bodies.

When I hit core reasonably hard, without ever giving it any extra, I'll gain 1 to 1.5 club distance every single time. There truly is no substitute for a strong core during the golf swing.

Except maybe... flexibility. I work at it, but I don't have very much of that. emoji6.png

I need to come up with a routine starting in December thru Feb, and then find a maintenance routine that I keep up with through the golf season.  I’ve never been a gym rat but when younger did try to run and exercise.  IVe never had a weight issue. The last 2 years around this timeframe I’ve had to shut golf down by this time.  Two years ago multiple meniscus flap tears in right (back) knee, followed by surgery, then last year lower back flared up.  

Fifteen years ago diagnosed with spondylolothesis at L4/L5, and checked out early this year, have no disc now.  Also found 3 bulging discs, and a ligament tear conncting l3 to the facet.  Dr was very encouraging and I Did physical therapy and they were amazing. Certain stretches I immediately lose leg strength, other stretches immediately restore. We worked  extensively on flxibility and the lead therapist is tpi certified.  A few years ago I took some Yoga for Golfers classes and do some of the routines before playing and range sessions.  Amazingly, no back flare ups since. 

Golf here is year round, but not for me; too cold and rainy.  Will shut down in Dec more than likely, then hit the range in Feb. This winter I want to focus on core, hips and hamstrings, plus some upper body machines (no lifting) and overall conditioning.  I think I need some rotational exercises to generate some explosiveness.  Being older, I find it hard to get motivated. Recommendations are welcome! 

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

I need to come up with a routine starting in December thru Feb, and then find a maintenance routine that I keep up with through the golf season.  I’ve never been a gym rat but when younger did try to run and exercise.  IVe never had a weight issue. The last 2 years around this timeframe I’ve had to shut golf down by this time.  Two years ago multiple meniscus flap tears in right (back) knee, followed by surgery, then last year lower back flared up.  
Fifteen years ago diagnosed with spondylolothesis at L4/L5, and checked out early this year, have no disc now.  Also found 3 bulging discs, and a ligament tear conncting l3 to the facet.  Dr was very encouraging and I Did physical therapy and they were amazing. Certain stretches I immediately lose leg strength, other stretches immediately restore. We worked  extensively on flxibility and the lead therapist is tpi certified.  A few years ago I took some Yoga for Golfers classes and do some of the routines before playing and range sessions.  Amazingly, no back flare ups since. 
Golf here is year round, but not for me; too cold and rainy.  Will shut down in Dec more than likely, then hit the range in Feb. This winter I want to focus on core, hips and hamstrings, plus some upper body machines (no lifting) and overall conditioning.  I think I need some rotational exercises to generate some explosiveness.  Being older, I find it hard to get motivated. Recommendations are welcome! 
Certainly have to work around your limitations but it's damned awesome that you've found a routine to keep your back flare-ups at bay.

I can't.  L4/5 has been my bane of existence.  I only started epidural shots in 2019 but my back has been going out on me since my mid to late 20s.  I've lost as much as 10 months in one stretch without any golf.  It'd go out on me at least once per year but usually more.  Genetic, mom had surgery on her back in her early 30s.

Apparently, as per 3 docs I'm not a candidate for surgery as my degenerative disc condition is significant enough and runs up into the thoracic region.  Also, stenosis is an issue and although nearly 55, I've been told that I have as much arthritis in the region as an 80 year old man with a lifelong terrible back.  Yay for me. 

I'm also dealing with a dislocated clavicle.  Didn't even know that the clavicle and sternum formed a joint until this injury.  It's still clanking around after a full year... I should probably go see the ortho about that one, huh?  When my back doc saw me wince in pain right after I'd told him that there wasn't any pain in my back, I told him about the clavicle.  He put his stethoscope to the joint and had me move it around.  He said emphatically. "damned right, that thing is banging around all over the place!" I mean, I already knew this as you can easily feel it on the surface. 

He said that he'd only heard of such injuries as during contact sports and car accidents.  So he was very surprised to learn that it happened from the force I was applying to a screw driver in trying to unsieze the screw for the knob of a sink's supply line.

Your goals as per the gym, hitting core, hips and hamstrings, is solid.  Only, us guys think of it more as a ladies' exercise, but don't neglect glutes.  And if you didn't already touch on it with your delving into yoga, look up piriformis stretches.  While there's nothing I can do at this point to avoid injury, piriformis stretches do provide me with much relief as to tension in the lower lumbar/hip region.  

Best of luck to you and good health!

1 hour ago, Will_Mac said:

Certainly have to work around your limitations but it's damned awesome that you've found a routine to keep your back flare-ups at bay.

I can't.  L4/5 has been my bane of existence.  I only started epidural shots in 2019 but my back has been going out on me since my mid to late 20s.  I've lost as much as 10 months in one stretch without any golf.  It'd go out on me at least once per year but usually more.  Genetic, mom had surgery on her back in her early 30s.

Apparently, as per 3 docs I'm not a candidate for surgery as my degenerative disc condition is significant enough and runs up into the thoracic region.  Also, stenosis is an issue and although nearly 55, I've been told that I have as much arthritis in the region as an 80 year old man with a lifelong terrible back.  Yay for me.  emoji6.png

I'm also dealing with a dislocated clavicle.  Didn't even know that the clavicle and sternum formed a joint until this injury.  It's still clanking around after a full year... I should probably go see the ortho about that one, huh?  When my back doc saw me wince in pain right after I'd told him that there wasn't any pain in my back, I told him about the clavicle.  He put his stethoscope to the joint and had me move it around.  He said emphatically. "damned right, that thing is banging around all over the place!" I mean, I already knew this as you can easily feel it on the surface. 

He said that he'd only heard of such injuries as during contact sports and car accidents.  So he was very surprised to learn that it happened from the force I was applying to a screw driver in trying to unsieze the screw for the knob of a sink's supply line.

Your goals as per the gym, hitting core, hips and hamstrings, is solid.  Only, us guys think of it more as a ladies' exercise, but don't neglect glutes.  And if you didn't already touch on it with your delving into yoga, look up piriformis stretches.  While there's nothing I can do at this point to avoid injury, piriformis stretches do provide me with much relief as to tension in the lower lumbar/hip region.  

Best of luck to you and good health!

I feel for you. While not diagnosed at the time, my spondy at L4/L5 was most likely caused in an auto accident in my 20s.  Years later around 2003 when the vertebrae’s had slipped 25%, I was in a lot of pain, the mri showed I had previously bilateral fractures of the pars caused by trauma.  Went undetected at the time because I had 8 other fractures & pretty severe concussion.  I did the epidural treatments in 2003 which helped  a lot. ( Done by a Dr. Conigliaro in Orlando, nephew of Tony Conigliaro). At the time, worked hard on the core and hamstrings and did well until last fall.

A year later after the accident while playing in a baseball game n calif, playing LF I collided with CF and fractured my left clavicle.  The only joint holding the arm & shoulder to the body is where the clavicle joins the sternum, and it snapped near the sternum.Extremely painful and to this day bothers me occasionally, but the golf swing doesn’t bother it.  I would definitely see an orthopedic.  Last year I had knee surgery, and my dr does knee, elbow & shoulder surgeries for UGA football.  I mentioned my clavicle issue and he felt around and said he could probably fix it, suspects I have a partial nonunion (back in the day they didn’t do surgical repairs if they could avoid it). 

im definitely going to look up the stretches you mentioned. And best wishes and improved health to you! 

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

28 minutes ago, GaryF said:

I feel for you. While not diagnosed at the time, my spondy at L4/L5 was most likely caused in an auto accident in my 20s.  Years later around 2003 when the vertebrae’s had slipped 25%, I was in a lot of pain, the mri showed I had previously bilateral fractures of the pars caused by trauma.  Went undetected at the time because I had 8 other fractures & pretty severe concussion.  I did the epidural treatments in 2003 which helped  a lot. ( Done by a Dr. Conigliaro in Orlando, nephew of Tony Conigliaro). At the time, worked hard on the core and hamstrings and did well until last fall.

A year later after the accident while playing in a baseball game n calif, playing LF I collided with CF and fractured my left clavicle.  The only joint holding the arm & shoulder to the body is where the clavicle joins the sternum, and it snapped near the sternum.Extremely painful and to this day bothers me occasionally, but the golf swing doesn’t bother it.  I would definitely see an orthopedic.  Last year I had knee surgery, and my dr does knee, elbow & shoulder surgeries for UGA football.  I mentioned my clavicle issue and he felt around and said he could probably fix it, suspects I have a partial nonunion (back in the day they didn’t do surgical repairs if they could avoid it). 

im definitely going to look up the stretches you mentioned. And best wishes and improved health to you! 

Man, your body's been through a lot more than mine, and I thought I had it bad.  😉  The worst of my injuries is what's already stated plus a ruptured achilles tendon in '98, 3x partially torn patella tendon, low-grade dislocated shoulders with both biceps tendons partially torn (retired NYPD, the shoulders and biceps tendon injuries happened when I bear hugged a violent perp, who was later determined to be on PCP, and held on for dear life until backup arrived.  Minutes seemed like days, dude had inhuman strength).  And between HS football, one year in college and the job, at least 5 concussions, broken nose a few times.

Oh, and in '89 I was jumped by a group of 15 savages.  Fractured skull, fractured jaw, obliterated nose, 35 stitches to my upper lip, 40 to the lower lip. A plastic surgeon was summoned for the lip work, LOL... Busted rib and of all things, due to the only punch I got off, a broken pinky.  But other than a terribly deviated septum, and subsequent routine sinus infections (kept at bay via the neti-pot), no lingering issues.

I fear that my right right hip is wearing out but knees are still good.  Just have issues with scar tissue in the one.  Getting old sucks but the alternative is unacceptable.  😉

9 hours ago, Will_Mac said:

Man, your body's been through a lot more than mine, and I thought I had it bad.  😉  The worst of my injuries is what's already stated plus a ruptured achilles tendon in '98, 3x partially torn patella tendon, low-grade dislocated shoulders with both biceps tendons partially torn (retired NYPD, the shoulders and biceps tendon injuries happened when I bear hugged a violent perp, who was later determined to be on PCP, and held on for dear life until backup arrived.  Minutes seemed like days, dude had inhuman strength).  And between HS football, one year in college and the job, at least 5 concussions, broken nose a few times.

Oh, and in '89 I was jumped by a group of 15 savages.  Fractured skull, fractured jaw, obliterated nose, 35 stitches to my upper lip, 40 to the lower lip. A plastic surgeon was summoned for the lip work, LOL... Busted rib and of all things, due to the only punch I got off, a broken pinky.  But other than a terribly deviated septum, and subsequent routine sinus infections (kept at bay via the neti-pot), no lingering issues.

I fear that my right right hip is wearing out but knees are still good.  Just have issues with scar tissue in the one.  Getting old sucks but the alternative is unacceptable.  😉

Oh my goodness, I don’t know about that, you have been through a lot!  At least you did it for the good of others! Your ‘89 injuries were very similar - but mine was caused by a 14 yo driver (according to his case worker, his 2nd time) in a stolen car who ran a red light going 65 (Oxnard, CA). Was a passenger in my roommates car with buried lap belt and went face first into the dash.  Four jaw fractures and tore thru facial nerve on one side, nose broken and partially torn off, 65 sutures, 3 broken ribs, multiple gashes, concussion, but only a bulging neck disc and likely the 2 pars fractures. I woke up in the car and never forgot the 2 police officers that helped me out and reassured me until the emt arrived.  The emt ride was the most scared I’ve ever been in my life, but they were amazing too.  Ended up lucky with a great surgeon, and the human body and healing powers are truly amazing.  

I feel sad for how police are being treated, and sorry for those that need and depend on them, and I’m sure you had an amazing career - you signed up for the toughest of jobs to protect the rest of us - thank you! 

Edited by GaryF

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone! I go to the gym a few times a week, although I prefer to exercise outdoors. I start the morning with a run or a walk and a little warm-up. In the gym, I prefer a dynamic workout for about 40 minutes to 1 hour. I mainly do basic exercises for the back, such as deadlifts, chest (bench press) and legs (squats with a barbell). I also add weights to the mix and work my biceps, trapezius, shoulders and abs. In general, this system has always worked well, but now I think I need to revise it because my progress has stopped at a certain level. Despite the fact that I eat quite well and take various supplements and vitamins. You may even try steroids(buy anavar) if nothing else works. Do you have any advice?

Edited by Andrian11
added some details

2 hours ago, Andrian11 said:

Hi everyone! I go to the gym a few times a week, although I prefer to exercise outdoors. I start the morning with a run or a walk and a little warm-up. In the gym, I prefer a dynamic workout for about 40 minutes to 1 hour. I mainly do basic exercises for the back, such as deadlifts, chest (bench press) and legs (squats with a barbell). I also add weights to the mix and work my biceps, trapezius, shoulders and abs. In general, this system has always worked well, but now I think I need to revise it because my progress has stopped at a certain level. Despite the fact that I eat quite well and take various supplements and vitamins. You may even try steroids if nothing else works. Do you have any advice?

What do you mean progress has stopped?

List your sets and reps you do for each exercise and the weights used over last 4 weeks in a week by week basis.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

10 hours ago, Goober said:

I’m a huge advocate of HITT training. Like the fountain of youth 

I used to love HITT workouts, but my senior knees and back can't handle the jumping any more and I find the low impact versions less than stimulating. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

On 8/8/2023 at 7:56 AM, Headhammer said:

I used to love HITT workouts, but my senior knees and back can't handle the jumping any more and I find the low impact versions less than stimulating. 

Get creative. You don’t have to run or jump to do HITT. Planet fitness has a 30 minute workout room. It’s all machines and you jump from one to the next every 30 seconds. That might be more up your alley. And also a heck of a good full body workout 

I had clavicle issues until a few years ago when I had surgery to remove the built-up arthritis in the AC joint. If felt like having junk in my shoulder with all the clicking, clunking, grinding...and it hurt all the time.  Twice in my earlier life I had a separated left shoulder (football and a car accident 15 years later), and these injuries typically lead to bad shoulder joints later in life. My upper body strength deteriorated significantly because of my limitations. But once recovered from the surgery I worked on upper body strength at home using some weights and bands.

At 66, I just recently have gotten into working at the gym with machines and using bands at home. I do use some weights but keep it rather low for now. After only a few weeks I can really feel the difference in my overall strength. My short-term focus is more leg, glutes, and core strength. I wish I had started doing it sooner. I've read a lot of good input here so far. Thanks!

Also, for the seniors, check out what your Medicare plan will pay for. My Medicare Advantage plan pays for my gym membership 100%. My gym is 2 minutes' drive from my home. I'm sure the thinking is keeping you healthy and strong will be a lot less expensive than paying for bad health. 

Edited by Tallwood88

Kettle bell work outs are by far the best bang for your buck imo. 

If I have a limited amount of time, I can go into the garage grab ONE KB and I can make my life miserable in about 30 mins. That KB doesn't even need to be that heavy to get a lot of work in. 

Youtube would be your friend doing KB workouts if you haven't ever done / messes with KB before. 

Murphy, Derek

I used to do crossfit and then moved built a gym in the garage.  But with injuries plus a kid it made it hard to find time.  Now my wife has a Pelaton, and I found with the subscription comes an app that we can stream on our TV.  It has tons of different strength, yoga and stretching workouts.  I enjoy a lot of the 20 to 30 minute HIIT style videos.  Easy to do in the living room and you just need a couple light weights.  Also helps with my balance for my swing.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G425 Max ( Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 55g R)

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Big Bertha B23 3 Wood (RCH 55 Regular), :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 5 Wood (Fujikura Speeder NX Red Regular)

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: Titleist TSR2 5 Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 R)

Irons: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Apex 21 DCB (Project X IO Steel R), 

Wedges: :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 50, :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54, :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Jaws Full Face 58

Putter: :cleveland-small: Cleveland HB Soft #8P (UST All-In)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Q Star Tour

I feel like flexibility work, core, back and legs are the biggest areas for me and supporting the golf swing. But its a fine line as when I was in great shape and lifting heavy, my swing suffered and the flexibility was lost. I feel like any distance gains from strength were negated by loss of range of motion. General cardio as well, as I like to walk courses and so need the stamina to not lose distance on the final 1/3rd of my rounds.

Driver: Callaway Rouge St LS 9 degree, Ventus White X shaft 

3 Wood: Callaway Rouge St, Ventus White

5 Wood: Callaway Rouge St, Ventus White  

3 Hybrid: Callaway Rouge St Pro, Ventus White

Irons: 4-6: Titlist T-200 AMT White X, 7-PW T100s AMT White X

Wedges: Titlist SM7 50F, 54F, and 58D

Putter: Evnroll ER2B 33.5" with Gravity grip

Right handed, Fair Oaks, Ca 

12 handicap

On 8/8/2017 at 10:07 PM, arobledo1293 said:

What kind of gym work if any do you guys do in the gym. Any workouts or routines you care to share?

Irons: Standard length and Lie

Driver: 10.5 regular flex standard length

Putter: Mallet 35"

RH

NC

20HCP

A lot of what I prescribe for gym work is dependent on an assessment with a client. I have created a couple of basic programs for clients, would love to hear what you think of them. 

Here is a basic program for a client that is a 4 day program with focus on golf - Click Here

I am working on building a golf specific training program for everyone online and hope to drop it on September 3rd or around there. 

Dr. Walter Young IV, PT, DPT

I will work out 4 days a week in order to hit all body parts.  However, I did change my routine a couple of years ago in order to proactively avoid golf pain, soreness, and injury.  The biggest change was making sure to include good mornings every week.  Ever since I haven't had as many days of lower back pain.  Also, not to overlook, I would already make sure to do lat pulldowns, pullups, side lateral raises, and military.  I tend to get sore in my shoulders and back, so hitting those muscles every week has been beneficial.

Nike SQ 5900, Callaway Fusion 3W, Callaway X14 Pro, Odyssey White Hot #5