Our Sponsors

What kind of gym work if any do you guys do in the gym. Any workouts or routines you care to share?

Irons: Standard length and Lie

Driver: 10.5 regular flex standard length

Putter: Mallet 35"

RH

NC

20HCP

Personally I found muscle groups that helped my swing was the back, glutes and hamstrings. Flexibility and balance is something else I work on.

Straight leg deadlifts and good mornings are two of my favourite exercises to work those muscle groups. Also doing lunges and single leg squat/deadlift help with the balance.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I try not to go to the gym too much because my shoulders get too dang big. My shoulders are big enough from years of doing strongman and powerlifting. When I do go go the gym it's for cardio and I use the bands to try to increase my flexibility. Bands to work on your core are also key and help your swing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

If you're on Instagram, check out PFS Golf (and all the guys associated with them - AndoPFS, etc), MyTPI (Titleist Performance Institute), Joey D, and Kolby Tullier (KWayne - does a lot with Brooks K, Justin Thomas, Lexi Thompson). They have a lot of good videos/resources for muscle stability and flexibility. Lots of shoulder/hip/core work, which is what really helps the golf swing. Also, I'll side with Canuklehead and say that regular leg/hip workouts will do wonders for the power in your swing.

If you have/had knee issues, do a seated leg press instead of a squat. It's easier on the joints and less of a risk tearing a ligament. Don't neglect your hamstrings and hips. Most machines/leg workouts do a lot on the quads so keep that in mind. 

If you really want to do some crazy stuff in the gym, follow the guys on the long drive circuit. Their gym sessions are off the wall. Explosive movement with a lot of weight. 

• TaylorMade '17 M1 w/ Kyoshi Black 65X tipped 1/2" 
  • Cobra F7+ 3W 14.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 75 6.5
  • Adams Pro DHy 18* w/ Hzrdus Black 85 6.5
  • Callaway X Forged 21* w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • Mizuno 919 Forged 5-PW w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54* & 58* w/ AWT 2.0 
  • Evnroll ER6 (355g & 370g)
  • Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • All my clubs are lefty style...cause I thoroughly enjoy having limited options when buying golf equipment.
  • Instagram: @2_shanks

I absolutely LOVE my time at my local gym.  It not only makes me feel better physically but mentally as well.  In fact I can go in for a work out in a bit of a lull and when I walk out the door I feel much better.  I suppose it get's the old juices flowing and wakes up my spirit. I guess you could say I'm truly addicted to four days per week and if I miss a day (which is rare) I miss the heck out of it. 

I start out with 20 - 25 minutes on the elliptical with 5 minutes cool down.  I then head over to the machines and run through my little routine of 10 x 3 reps on most all of them.  I prefer the machines over the free weights at my age as it helps to prevent joint damage.  A few months back I was into bench pressing although I have since moved on to the machines.  

What I'm considering is getting into the senior yoga program which they offer at my gym. My wife was attending for a while and enjoyed it. I was thinking that was too sissy for a big ole country boy like me but I'm thinking  I may be wrong. 

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 Hybrid
Callaway  Rogue X Irons 5 - AW 
Cleveland RTX-4 50 & 56 / RTX-3 60
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Personally I found muscle groups that helped my swing was the back, glutes and hamstrings. Flexibility and balance is something else I work on.

Straight leg deadlifts and good mornings are two of my favourite exercises to work those muscle groups. Also doing lunges and single leg squat/deadlift help with the balance.

Great advice from Canucklehead. A strong posterior chain will help you on so many levels. 

Here's a rough idea and a few thoughts on my training this winter:

Lots of trap bar deadlifts. A lot of people agree that it probably has the best "real world carry-over" of any gym exercise. It's not that technically difficult, chance of injury is fairly slim (with decent technique) and you can lift a loft of weight with this one. A good guideline is 2X your body weight for adequate strength. 

I also really like the Jefferson deadlift. It's a bizarre looking old school lift, but addresses rotational aspects more than other lifts. It's great at ironing out asymmetries and can be used to rehab back (especially SI) issues. Just google Dellanave Jefferson deadlift for a tutorial. 

Those are the only lifts I'll be doing for strength. Keeping reps in the 3-5 range typically.

For upper boy, I'll focus on push ups (typically on rings), pullups and inverted rows (with rings).

I'm also going to experiment with the Pallof press to address rotational strength. I'll also look into jumps and medicine ball throws too.

I'll do strength work 2-3X per week.

I've got a bunch of Kettlebells at home and will do a few swings and Turkish Get Ups most days. If you've got any shoulder issues, Turkish Get Ups are a fantastic way to rehab them. 

I'll do mobility work daily too.

That's the rough plan. I'll update more as I progress.

• Like 2

Driver -         Titleist 915 D3, 9.5 degree, Diamana D+ 70 S

3 Wood -      Callaway GBB Epic, 15 degree, Fujikura Pro 72 S

Hybrid -        Cobra F7, 19 degree, Fujikura Pro 75 S

Long Irons - Ben Hogan Ft Worth HI, 23, 27, 31 degrees, KBS C-Taper Lite S

Mid Irons -   Ben Hogan Ft Worth, 35, 39, 43, 47 degrees, KBS C-Taper Lite S

Wedges -     Ben Hogan TK, 51,55,59, KBS wedge shafts

Putter -         Ping Ketsch Mid, slight arc

Great advice from Canucklehead. A strong posterior chain will help you on so many levels.

Here's a rough idea and a few thoughts on my training this winter:

Lots of trap bar deadlifts. A lot of people agree that it probably has the best "real world carry-over" of any gym exercise. It's not that technically difficult, chance of injury is fairly slim (with decent technique) and you can lift a loft of weight with this one. A good guideline is 2X your body weight for adequate strength.

I also really like the Jefferson deadlift. It's a bizarre looking old school lift, but addresses rotational aspects more than other lifts. It's great at ironing out asymmetries and can be used to rehab back (especially SI) issues. Just google Dellanave Jefferson deadlift for a tutorial.

Those are the only lifts I'll be doing for strength. Keeping reps in the 3-5 range typically.

For upper boy, I'll focus on push ups (typically on rings), pullups and inverted rows (with rings).

I'm also going to experiment with the Pallof press to address rotational strength. I'll also look into jumps and medicine ball throws too.

I'll do strength work 2-3X per week.

I've got a bunch of Kettlebells at home and will do a few swings and Turkish Get Ups most days. If you've got any shoulder issues, Turkish Get Ups are a fantastic way to rehab them.

I'll do mobility work daily too.

That's the rough plan. I'll update more as I progress.

Just googled what a Jefferson deadlift is. Never even heard of it before. Will be something I try next leg day!

• Like 1

Alternating months I do some extreme super sets one month.

The next month I will take more breaks but go extremely heavy with less reps.Im not really doing this for golf conditioning.More for my own goals of what I've been working for body wise.

Keep it in the short stuff