TESTERS WANTED! ×

Can I get a little help reading launch monitor data?

I got a chance to hit some balls at Dick's on their launch monitor. I compared different settings on my driver to some of their demos (and man those demos were in rough shape).

Here's the numbers I got from the session. I would love to hear from those that know a thing or two about really reading one of these to know more about what I need to do from here. I know some general ideas but don't know about specific numbers to watch for.

IMG_4633.JPG

I made a few observations on my own but will keep them to myself in case they're inaccurate.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

The numbers are a classic case of hitting various drivers without really being fit for any particular one for loft, length, weight. The 915 D3 with D1 setting comes out on top probably because it's your current driver and you're used to it. 

The rest of the figures are far too random to come with any real conclusion other than you need to get fitted for length and improve your smash factor as a result. The classic out to in swing for a golfer in your handicap range is apparent with your spin and dispersion figures. On balance, I would say stop trying to kill the ball with very high swing speeds with poor contact as a result and your average figures would improve greatly.

Yeah the kid at Dick's, bless his heart, didn't even know how to adjust the settings on the F7 so I was at the wrong store anyway. The cheapest driver fitting I can find around here is $150 so I'm having a hard time stomaching that. Even if they absorb that into the cost of a new driver, I also don't have $400 for that.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

So what are "ideal" numbers for spin, launch angle, and smash?

If you do a google search you can find some charts.  Most are on other golf forums so I won't post the links.  Ideal smash is in the 1.5 range.  For spin and launch you have to look at swing speed and angle of attack  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

So what are "ideal" numbers for spin, launch angle, and smash?

The lower the spin the more carry you'll get, which you can see in total spin- the ones you have in the 2000's and low 3,000's are some of your furthest drives.

Everyone on MGS seems to talk about how smash factor needs to be in the 1.5's when with a driver if you have a 1.5 smash factor you'd be in the top 100 on the tour which most of us aren't on that level.. I think the number 1 rated player in terms of smash is like a 1.52- so should you worry about it? Yeah- increasing helps but be realistic about it. In my game, I've found if you can square the club and reduce spin in the 2500-2900 rpms you will drive the ball great.

KB

Cobra LS - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7x

Cobra F9 3w- Fujikura Tour Spec 2.0 8x

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50,54, 58 wedges 

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

Everyone on MGS seems to talk about how smash factor needs to be in the 1.5's when with a driver if you have a 1.5 smash factor you'd be in the top 100 on the tour which most of us aren't on that level.. 

People ask what the "ideal" smash factor is and that is in the 1.5 range.  Most people are probably in the  1.4-1.45 range due to less than optimal ball striking.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

........I think the number 1 rated player in terms of smash is like a 1.52- so should you worry about it? Yeah- increasing helps but be realistic about it.......

Follow up question: What's the smash factor for the worst player on the PGA tour? I'm just trying to gain perspective.

Follow up question: What's the smash factor for the worst player on the PGA tour? I'm just trying to gain perspective.

PGA tour keeps stats on everything!!!

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02403.html

Lowest recorded was 1.197,  but that isn't the average.

If you want a detailed perspective on smash factor read here:

https://www.tutelman.com/golf/ballflight/smashfactor.php

PGA tour keeps stats on everything!!!

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02403.html

Lowest recorded was

1.197, but that isn't the average.

If you want a detailed perspective on smash factor read here:

https://www.tutelman.com/golf/ballflight/smashfactor.php

Thanks for the links. Although I couldn't make the website show me what the smash numbers actually are, it was interesting to see Koepka and Kaymer near the bottom and I have no idea who the top 3 are. Maybe smash isn't everything?

Thanks for the links. Although I couldn't make the website show me what the smash numbers actually are, it was interesting to see Koepka and Kaymer near the bottom and I have no idea who the top 3 are. Maybe smash isn't everything?

You won't be able to see each individual swing.  It shows Average,  highest recorded, and lowest recorded.  Smash Factor isn't everything.  Perfect smash factor with a ball that goes into the woods really isn't perfect  :D

STUDque, if you want to learn more about all of these variables,  go to trackman university and sign up (it is free)  and you can go through videos and use some calculators to see how all of the variables impact distance.  I have gone through a couple of the videos and they are pretty interesting.  

Thanks for that. I'll be sure to check it out. I try to be knowledgeable in many areas of the game but launch monitors are something I have little exposure to

STUDque, what I always told people when I was letting them on the Monitor at Dick's was that you should take some of these results with a grain of salt. Depending on the tech being used it may not be the highest or most accurate fitting devices. For example, if it's a Foresight it should really have the HMT attachment to track actual head numbers for smash and club head delivery. Ours base the base base model, so I made sure to tell folks that the smash factor was always 1.45 because it wasn't tracking everything in space.

But you want to know based on these numbers and here's what stands out to me. The big thing is that sidespin number. They are super high regardless of club. Unless you play a huge sweeping fade where you line up far outside the left of the fairway and bend it back Bubba style, it's not an effective way to drive the golf ball. Now, you're making up for that with your awesome clubhead speed, but those spin numbers are the real problem. I would even say based on the spin profile you need, you aren't looking at the right drivers. You probably need a low spinning head like a Sub-Zero, M1, F7+ or LTD, or G LST. Something like M1 which also has that left right dispersion weight which doesn't affect much, but can help a bit I think is right up your alley.

It also may be a path issue, hitting down on it, as you're launching it low but coming off with high spin, robbing yourself of distance. 

In all, a basic reading off all that Data would be get those spin numbers down, get that launch up a touch and then you're in real business

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Thanks for the tips Berg. I only hit those other clubs because that's what they had. I've been looking into the Ping drivers but they didn't have one. Will follow up whenever I get a chance to give one of those a whack.

Thanks for the tips Berg. I only hit those other clubs because that's what they had. I've been looking into the Ping drivers but they didn't have one. Will follow up whenever I get a chance to give one of those a whack.

Yeah, I figured, as someone who worked there I know the limited selection can be super frustrating to fit to and for customers. Hope it works out for you.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Buy the F7

If I did, I definitely wouldn't get whatever shaft it has stock. That shaft was so light and whippy I felt like Indiana Jones.

One funny observation I had about the F7 is I would hit balls that absolutely felt horrible off the face but still went far and straight. Go figure.

Yeah the kid at Dick's, bless his heart, didn't even know how to adjust the settings on the F7 so I was at the wrong store anyway. The cheapest driver fitting I can find around here is $150 so I'm having a hard time stomaching that. Even if they absorb that into the cost of a new driver, I also don't have $400 for that.

I know it's a drive, but if you could find your way up to this area, John or Jim at Arundel Golf park would give you a great fitting and they have just about all the OEM's and LM.   I don't think they charge anything for a fitting, they just hope you would buy from them if it comes to it.    A bit closer to you and it's indoors is Dukes in Annapolis, they are very good as well.  But as mentioned in my JPX fitting posts, I prefer outdoor with a LM if at all possible. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Smash definitely isn't everything. In fact it isn't really anything but a made up equation. Ball speed/club head speed = some number we call Smash factor.

If you divide a 170 mph ball speed by a 115 mph club head speed that gives you a result of 1.478. That's your smash factor. That's also pretty good. If you divide by 114 now you're at 1.491. That's even better. But what if you could generate 170 mph ball speed with only 113 mph of club head speed? Now you're in the mythical land of 1.504 smash factor.

What it's trying to tell us is how well we maximized the equipment limits of the ball and club to get the shot to go as far as possible given how fast we can swing the club. That's it.

Things like path, face, angle of attack etc all matter because they impact how well we transfer energy from club to ball. Why would some tour pros have worse (relatively) smash factor numbers that others? Complete speculation but I'm guessing that some guys (particularly bombers) use spinnier or softer balls than others instead of trying to maximize distance.

In a club fit setting, you should really only see two sets of numbers no matter how many different drivers you hit. Good fit (a pretty tight group) and poorly fit (wide disparity in numbers). Since all the OEMs are restrained on how fast the club and ball are allowed to rebound from each other as you work through clubs that fit you pretty well we begin to see that everything performs pretty much the same. Poorly fit clubs are all over the place because shaft variables, head COG and weighting bias, and face orientation all affect the transfer of energy from face to ball. That doesn't mean that you can't hit your absolute longest drive with a club you shouldn't be using. You just won't be able to repeat it very often or keep it on the planet.

That's way too many words so I will use a bunch more to finish this off. Find yourself a small grouping of clubs that perform well for you and go with the most consistent performer. There are really no more outliers in terms of distance. That's why the Most Wanted data is so bunched up. If they ran the same Most Wanted tests 3 x in a year with the exact same clubs and the exact same players and balls we would probably end up with 3 different charts. If they ran it with 3 different groups of players we would certainly end up with 3 different charts. That's not a knock on the testing at all. It's just a reflection of the restraints on the industry, how tightly all OEMs work within the same limits, and the ever changing variable known as the human golfer. Is Driver X a good club for you? Maybe. If that shaft and head set up are a good match for you then probably. Is there any way to know for sure without hitting it first? Nope. Shafts are too variable, lofts are too variable, retailers don't really know a whole lot most of the time and we are way too variable. Is it worth spending big 💰💰 for a tour level fitting? IMO not really. Since there are no magic wands you can accomplish the same thing by trial as long as you understand how you deliver the club well enough to have a decent starting point. Is it fun to buy new clubs anyway? Yes, yes, yes! Yes it is.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

That's way too many words so I will use a bunch more to finish this off.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I love this quote.

But seriously, thanks for all the input. I'd always prefer more information to less.

Archived