Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Maltby Wedges

lazy

So I've been a little obsessed with wedges lately, but having a very limited budget means I have to spend wisely ( it's hard to get yourself a fully fitted full set for under £100, but I keep trying).

So I had a bright idea and thought I'd check out Maltby Wedges and they're actually very reasonably priced, you can get three wedges for the price of one from a major manufacturer. It also turns out that they will construct it for you free of charge, so you don't even need to worry about fiddling around with that. The only thing that has me confused is the bounce angles. On the wide sole the bounce is lower than the thin sole. If anyone can shed some light or if anyone has used them any info would be appreciated.

Screenshot_20170716-024508.png

Sole width and bounce work together to create the "effective" bounce of a wedge. A wide sole wedge with 12 degrees of bounce will resist digging more than a narrow sole club with that same 12 degrees of bounce. Therefore, wide sole wedges can have less actual bounce than a more narrow sole wedge, but the clubs will have similar effective bounce.

As for Maltby, they make quality clubs at an affordable price. I had a set of their forged cavity back irons and they were a quality set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I should also mention, wide sole wedges will play different than the narrow sole versions. With the narrow sole sand wedge you open up your stance and face of the club a bit when hitting a shot from the bunker, while the wide soles allow you to keep your normal iron stance and you don't need to open up the face.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Thanks deejaid great info.

Buying new golf equipment is a mine field, I'm always worried that I've made the wrong decision. Even getting fitted is no real guarantee, until you get out on the course and actually use it.

At the moment I'm using Cleveland CG 12's two dot. Loft and bounce are 52/10, 56/14, 60/10. The problem I have is the course where I play most, the bunkers are pretty hard, using the 60 is fine but the 56 I have trouble with so I'm guessing the higher bounce could be the problem. Also when not in a bunker I open the 60 up to get over bunkers quite a lot. So I'm not sure if these Maltby M Series wedges are going to be what I need as the bounces don't really match up to what I've got. Maltby also make a forged wedge called the Tour Grind. I dismissed these at first but at a second glance the bounces on the 52 and 60 look a bit more inline with what I've already got, and the 56 is close to were I want it but I'm just concerned that the 52 and 60 will be too low.

Screenshot_20170811-124545.png

Here is a good article from a few years ago that might be of some help.

https://mygolfspy.com/wedge-fitting/

Your current Cleveland wedges have a lot of bounce actually. Personally, I always looked at my Gap Wedge as an "11" iron, just another full swing club and preferred a little less bounce. 56/12 has been the standard sand wedge loft/bounce setup for years and is still probably the most common.

Lob wedges can be a bit scary. I remember having a Hogan 6004 Lob Wedge about 15 years ago. 60* and 4* bounce. Quite a difficult club to hit. I'd think the 60 with 7* bounce would be a bit easier. I personally don't carry a Lob Wedge anymore as I find it better to just open up my SW to hit flop shots.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Here is a good article from a few years ago that might be of some help.

https://mygolfspy.com/wedge-fitting/

Your current Cleveland wedges have a lot of bounce actually. Personally, I always looked at my Gap Wedge as an "11" iron, just another full swing club and preferred a little less bounce. 56/12 has been the standard sand wedge loft/bounce setup for years and is still probably the most common.

Lob wedges can be a bit scary. I remember having a Hogan 6004 Lob Wedge about 15 years ago. 60* and 4* bounce. Quite a difficult club to hit. I'd think the 60 with 7* bounce would be a bit easier. I personally don't carry a Lob Wedge anymore as I find it better to just open up my SW to hit flop shots.

Yep you do it old school style just like I do it. I did carry a 60 for a while but always had decisions decisions decisions. Screw it I know how to operate a 56 and besides with the right grind when you open it up just right you have a 60. Where a lot of people screw up with a 58 or 60 is they have the wrong bounce and like you stated there is a whole lot of difference between static bounce and effective bounce. A lot of folks like to open up that 60 and then it becomes 64 or 65. If I absolutely have to hit the 56 real high I do the old school chop pop and hit really down on it and through it. Of course my custom ground knife edge helps you know like the knife ground leading edge on a Mac blade. One of the guys at my club was looking at that the other day and remarked he could shave with that thing. One of the other guys remarked to him well look at those butter knives in his bag!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Man, Stu, we need to get together for a round sometime 😀.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Man, Stu, we need to get together for a round sometime .

Absolutely and then a tinkering and engineering bench session afterwards

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Absolutely and then a tinkering and engineering bench session afterwards

👍👍👍👍👍

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

That's a great article thanks, very enlightening.

So according to the article I should go for low bounce wedges as I very rarely take a divot, but I believe I've got a steep swing and according to the Vokey website a steep swing should use a high bounce wedge. I'm quite happy with how I hit my current wedges except for the 56 out of bunkers. So I think I'll probably go with the low bounce and hope for the best. I just hate the thought of wasted money so I'm always second guessing myself.

The one thing that article doesn't mention is wide sole or narrow sole and the effect the sole has on bounce. Perhaps for your 56 wedge you go with the lowest bounce option, which is the 56/8 wide sole.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

It might be something like the "widelow" grind from Cobra.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I've never played a wide soled wedge. My understanding is they help keep the club from digging on soft lies, either fluffy sand or deep rough, so I think the wider sole helps more in those lies and not so much from full shots from the fairway or shorter rough.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Archived