Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Why do pros make their caddies do this?

Headhammer

Sorry this is one of those things that used to drive me crazy about Tiger and yesterday on the practice tee I saw a lot of other pros now doing it. Why do they make their caddies throw them balls each time they reload on the practice tee? Its even more of a head scratcher when there are a pile of balls 6 inches from the tee they have in the ground and could easily pull another ball over with their club?

Inquiring minds want to know! 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I don't know the answer to that but there was a time when most courses did not have practice ranges. Pros carried their own balls with them. The caddy would go out and stand in the field so that the pro had a target. He would shag the balks and bring them back. Seriously - I remember it. I had a friend who caddied for Nicklaus in an exhibition that had to live it. He said when Nicklaus got to five iron it became frightening. He was hitting some so high and far that he couldn't see them and they were landing just a few feet away.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have seen that too but I thought they were only doing it when the player was using the driver or putting the ball in a tee. If that's the case I can understand that a bit more than doing it in every shot.

I can only speculate but I'd have to take a guess that it's more like a team building/bonding type thing? Maybe help keeping the loose or something?

I think the caddies are cleaning the balls before the players are hitting them off a tee.  If they are on the range in the morning, chances are there is dew on the ground and it's probably gotten all over the balls that are on the pile on the ground.  Usually they only do this if they are hitting them off the tee.  If the dew or sand is on the ball, it may alter the flight of the ball a little.  For us, that's not big deal, but for them, they want to see exactly how the balls are flying.  

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Just repeating what has already been said. Watching lots of players on the practice range the ball are only cleaned when hitting off the tee to remove sand and water

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Imo it could be so they have to stop, look back, focus on catching the ball, then go back to hitting the ball. Keeps the warm up from just being autonomous.

Same reason why, when I'm at the range I set the bucket behind me instead of dumping the whole thing in the tray in front of me. Makes me turn around, grab a ball, and reset.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

As others have said, it's to clean the balls being hit with driver, if you watch most don't do it when they are hitting irons.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Yep mainly to clean as has been said.  But also it's a last double check that it is the players balls.    Most may or may not know this.

At the range of a tour event, there is a tent/shed/trailer that all the range balls are kept bagged.  They are sorted by brand.  So Steve Williams will grab a bag of ProV1's for Adam Scott, and Bones previously would have grabbed a bag of Chrome Soft for Phil.   They are gathered and sorted from the range, but the caddie is also make a last check before he gives the ball, that a wrong one didn't get in the mix.  

yep, tour players are most definitely catered to!!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Yep mainly to clean as has been said. But also it's a last double check that it is the players balls. Most may or may not know this.

At the range of a tour event, there is a tent/shed/trailer that all the range balls are kept bagged. They are sorted by brand. So Steve Williams will grab a bag of ProV1's for Adam Scott, and Bones previously would have grabbed a bag of Chrome Soft for Phil. They are gathered and sorted from the range, but the caddie is also make a last check before he gives the ball, that a wrong one didn't get in the mix.

That is true on the PGA tour but not on all the other tours. When I worked the range at a Symetra event the tour actually provided range balls. One of the range duties was to actually separate the clubs balls from the tours balls.

From watching the LPGA event I volunteer at, they don't have balls separated by brands

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

That is true on the PGA tour but not on all the other tours. When I worked the range at a Symetra event the tour actually provided range balls. One of the range duties was to actually separate the clubs balls from the tours balls.

From watching the LPGA event I volunteer at, they don't have balls separated by brands

You're right, I should have specified PGA Tour.    I know a few years ago when we played in a Symetra Pro Am, they had volvik balls on the range for everyone, I think one of the girls, said they box them up and cart them from stop to stop.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

At the Quicken loans, they used different colored bags for each ball brand.   It was clear that the Pro-Vs were the most used.  When I worked the LPGA tourney at Bulle Rock, there were Titleist and Callaways only.   At the Web.com, Bridgestone supplied the balls.  After the tourney, I was told that the balls were donated to such programs as the First Tee.

What,you guys don't make ya wives/significant others do this?! :blink:

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

It's the entire reason I got married and had kids..................someone's gotta pick up the slack when my wife quits.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Sorry this is one of those things that used to drive me crazy about Tiger and yesterday on the practice tee I saw a lot of other pros now doing it. Why do they make their caddies throw them balls each time they reload on the practice tee? Its even more of a head scratcher when there are a pile of balls 6 inches from the tee they have in the ground and could easily pull another ball over with their club?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Because they are in playing mode not practice mode anymore. It's a now real shots that may require trigger. That may be the handing off the ball from caddie.

Players and caddie have some ritual going between them. Chi chi Rodriguez told his caddie only to mark the balata balls with pencil and very lightly because it may let out the compression of the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Because they are in playing mode not practice mode anymore. It's a now real shots that may require trigger. That may be the handing off the ball from caddie.

Disagree a bit here. It is done during the practice days as well as during pre round. Also I have almost never seen a caddie toss a ball to a player during the middle of a real round but they always toss the ball during practice and warmups.

Yep mainly to clean as has been said.  But also it's a last double check that it is the players balls.    Most may or may not know this.

At the range of a tour event, there is a tent/shed/trailer that all the range balls are kept bagged.  They are sorted by brand.  So Steve Williams will grab a bag of ProV1's for Adam Scott, and Bones previously would have grabbed a bag of Chrome Soft for Phil.   They are gathered and sorted from the range, but the caddie is also make a last check before he gives the ball, that a wrong one didn't get in the mix.  

A friend of mine that usually runs the range at Quail for the Wells Fargo says the same thing you do

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Disagree a bit here. It is done during the practice days as well as during pre round. Also I have almost never seen a caddie toss a ball to a player during the middle of a real round but they always toss the ball during practice and warmups.

You may be right. I'm using my own as a benchmark.

I would say to wipe the ball clean yes, but more of to check it's the correct ball, and to see if there is any imperfections on them.. sure they probably newer balls but they don't one getting in there with something on it which makes the flight different

KB

Cobra LS - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7x

Cobra F9 3w- Fujikura Tour Spec 2.0 8x

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50,54, 58 wedges 

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

Wiping the ball clean makes perfect sense to me.

I will have to ask Brittany about their range balls the next time I see her. I know that the PGA players have their own ball to warm up with but I wonder about the LPGA.

She uses our regular range balls when practicing at Bayou but her ball when working on her short game (that's a rarity). She used to play Callaways but I've noticed that she has recently switched to the Pro VIx.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks to all for the information I think all of those responses make total sense!!!!!!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I also wondered why this was done all the time.

Thanks for clearing that up

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

• 2 weeks later...

Yep mainly to clean as has been said. But also it's a last double check that it is the players balls. Most may or may not know this.

At the range of a tour event, there is a tent/shed/trailer that all the range balls are kept bagged. They are sorted by brand. So Steve Williams will grab a bag of ProV1's for Adam Scott, and Bones previously would have grabbed a bag of Chrome Soft for Phil. They are gathered and sorted from the range, but the caddie is also make a last check before he gives the ball, that a wrong one didn't get in the mix.

Ditto!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

No - I have the utmost respect for her time --- and my life!!!!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

• 1 month later...

It's the entire reason I got married and had kids..................someone's gotta pick up the slack when my wife quits.

Started training the boy from a young age to fill in for the wife when she told me she was done.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Started training the boy from a young age to fill in for the wife when she told me she was done.

attachicon.gifIMG_0009.JPG

HA! Well played! I'm still working on this. Next year I think will be a defining year for my soon to be 3 y/o lol

HA! Well played! I'm still working on this. Next year I think will be a defining year for my soon to be 3 y/o lol

It works for a few years and now if he is on the range he wants to hit balls and work on his game. The nerve of that kid :)

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

It works for a few years and now if he is on the range he wants to hit balls and work on his game. The nerve of that kid :)

Kids these days...SO selfish! Generation Z...I tell you! (too early to start blaming them for everything??)

Archived