TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wedge-mania

The Bogey Master

I want to know about everyone else's wedge setups and the logic behind it. I'm currently gaming a 60 degree Nike Engage, a 56 degree Vokey SM6, and a GW and PW that came with my set of Callaway X Hots. I rely 99% on my 56 degree from 100 yards and in. My 60 degree has little bounce, and I mainly use it for flop shots, when I'm in a very sticky situation, or in the bunkers at my home course that feel more like clay at times. I used to use my PW for bump'n'runs but I'm much more confident now with hitting a low flying shot that checks up near the hole with my 56. For the number of times I use my 60 degree, I'm considering ditching it and getting a 5 wood, 2 hybrid or other long club, what are everyone's thoughts on this?

The name don't lie...

Leaving tap ins short since '00

Mizuno MP T11 50, 55, 60. They are actually a 52 and 56, but I had them bent. PW is part of my Mizuno JPX 800 pro set, but had it bent to 46-47, so 3 true wedges + the PW.

I use the PW for full swing and the wedges for 3/4, so the 3 degree loft difference from PW to 50, doesn't affect gapping.

I think it comes down to use. For me, distance isn't an issue, so 3 wedges+ PW works.

I actually only use my 4i for punch outs and bump and runs just off the green whereas some people just putt, I like the little loft.

I actually hit my 4i well (at the range), so if I don't use it soon, we'll see how my set up changes.

I'm adding a 2/3 hybrid and may pull

the 4 wood.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

What you see in my signature.  Old School all the way!! PW 48  GW 52 SW 57.   Now I am a wedge Ho I have probably 100 wedges and I experiment with them a lot.  I have said this before it is the difference in the era when some of us learned the game. In my era we only had 2 wedges a PW at 48* to 50* and a SW at 55* to 57*. We learned to work all our shots with those wedges.  We also learned with the balata ball which is an entirely different animal from the modern ball around the greens. In my front line set I carry what you see in my signature. When I play the real vintage golf with persimmon woods and my 1953 Macgregor Toski irons I only carry 2 with a 52 and 56. Today it also with some folks has to do with different lofts throughout the set. Modern irons the PW loft is the same as the 9 iron loft on my 1980 Macs and is really near the 8 iron loft of the 53 Macs. The reason I carry the 52 or gap wedge is not for distance control but for some of the different shots I can hit with it around the green. I also grind my soles for my needs. Personally due to my style of wedge play I do not need a whole lot of bounce some folks do. Nothing at all wrong with that different strokes for different folks

A lot of my old fart crumudgen peers gripe today about some of the younger guys carrying 4 or sometimes 5 wedges. I do not have that gripe at all because it is in all how one learned the game. I have always subscribed to the theory of playing what works best for YOUR game whether it is 1 wedge or 5 wedges

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Exactly to what Big Stu said - who cares about our games, beyond conversation?

What about your game? Why are you a bogey golfer? Have you analyzed things to see where you loose strokes? What could you work on? Does the course you normally play on require more shots for you with a 60 or a 5 wood? Could the 60 be the better choice for some of those shots that he hit with the 56? Would it be better to practice with it or take a short game lesson to see?

And on and on it goes.

Here's my advice. If I were to be listening to advice about my bag I would not weigh everyone's response the same. Generally speaking the lower the handicap the better the player is at managing his or her game and yours is a management question.

Also consider the course that you normally play and the shots it requires (not the ones that you currently hit but what it requires). Then consider well that 14th club. It would be impossible for me to imagine playing any course that I normally play with 56 as my most lofted wedge. That would negatively impact me more than removing any club from my bag other than putter or driver.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Vokey SM5 52,56,60 and the PW from my Ping I set. Not loving the vokeys. I may hit the 60 five times per year. Prefer the 56 or 52 no matter the distance

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I have many wedges I could probably find one to perfectly suited for every situations. So let's just stick with what I have in my main bag.

Wedge and comfortable range

PW 46* 115-126 callaway apex

AW 50* 105-115 Apex

SW 54* 90-110 callaway MD3

LW 60* 75-90 callaway md2

ULW 64* 65-80 MD3 PM grind. It took a few months to get to know the club but it gives me more confidence on all other wedges. Ripping this club at full speed from 40 yards way with the face wide open requires quiet mind and full confidence and it's the most fun club to mess around. If you are willing to put in the time to practice the required block of time this is worth it.

My last wedge in the bag is the Texas wedge. Good from anything from low lip bunkers, rough, fringe and awkward lies around the greens. It has 2.5*-4* loft. It's been active in my bag since '97.

Some of the notable wedges

SW 58* Cleveland smart sole. It's probably the best club to use out of the thick rough and sand. Super high bounce and wide sole make this club easy to hit out of the sand, hard pan, and even some tightly mowed fairways. If you are in the bunkers a lot each round, it's worth replacing 5i with this wedge.

LW 58* 0* bounce callaway it's best for tight lies and long chip on the fringe.

37* chipper, Odyssey X-Act Tank chipper. Chipping is a dying art, this is a great club for many situations during each round, short chip and long chip, it does a great job. It takes some practice but it teaches you the importance of soft hand and touch around the greens. It's in my bag every time we play skins or battle golf.

I have probably 9 or 10 wedges right now that I've used this season. So far, my best results have been from my set gap wedge (50*), 56 SM6 m grind, and 60 SM4 (not sure the grind on it). I like the gapping I have with them, and I prefer to play a bump n run over higher shots so they don't get used a whole lot around the green.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have PW and GW from my set.  I play the sets GW because it fits my distance need where a non set wedge would generally be shorter due to the increased spin a non set wedge would producte.  Then I have a 54 and 58 because of the distances I hit them.  In my set I don't carry the longer clubs because the courses I play don't dictate the need for anything more than I have.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have PW and GW from my set.  I play the sets GW because it fits my distance need where a non set wedge would generally be shorter due to the increased spin a non set wedge would producte.  Then I have a 54 and 58 because of the distances I hit them.  In my set I don't carry the longer clubs because the courses I play don't dictate the need for anything more than I have.  

Looking at your WITB in your signature the top end of your bag on lofts is darn near identical to mine. The only difference is you one hybrid is 21* where mine is 22*  Now the brands are very different 

I still carry the 4 iron to hit low shots with but I am working on the low screamer thing with the 19* hybrid. I may pull the 4 iron out and put one of my 2 irons in for the low screamer on windy days or big trouble

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

The lofts I game are a 52 and a 58. My pitching wedge is a 46 I play MBs so there was no need in my set up to feel the need to get a custom wedge. I game a 52 because I personally like to flight my approach shots a tad lower and doing so with say a 54-56 sometimes would go a little higher than what I was looking for. I game the 58 for so many different types shots from flop shots, bunkers around the green, shots where I want to give a little more spin, 80 yard knock downs to full 100 yd shots. It is a very versatile club for me when I feel I don't have a lot of green to work with. My PW when stepped on can be hit 155yds but much rather play it at 145yds. That gaps me about 20 yards to my full 52 shot. This I don't mind because I like to play a bunch of different shots.

I like you like to see what others game but you should find out what wedges fit best into your set to fill you comfort level of shots. If you are someone who is not comfortable with playing knock down shots then what ever your 3/4 swing distance is should be filled with a full wedge shot IMO. Then basically continue that pattern until all your gaps are filled. Many more of your shots come from around the green so I would pick the sticks that give you the best opportunity to play good golf shots 150 in as opposed to swapping out for a longer club. The longer club will be used far less often than a wedge.

I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: It's called an eraser. ~Arnie

Looking at your WITB in your signature the top end of your bag on lofts is darn near identical to mine. The only difference is you one hybrid is 21* where mine is 22* Now the brands are very different

I still carry the 4 iron to hit low shots with but I am working on the low screamer thing with the 19* hybrid. I may pull the 4 iron out and put one of my 2 irons in for the low screamer on windy days or big trouble

We do have basically the same setup. The 21* hybrid fills the gap nicely for me and I can choke down to control distance. I can't seem to get the hang of controlling height with hybrids so hitting that screamer isn't an option; they just want to go up. I pulled the 4 because I can hit the low screamer with the 5 iron and I just never used the 4 very often. Wanted to fill the bottom end of tee bag for the more common distances.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I play 50/7, 54/12, 58/4

50/7 which is more like my 10 iron (but only swining at 80%)

54/12 with more bounce for the fluffy, soft lies and bunkers

58/4 with the least amount of bounce to open up and hit flops or hardpan bunkers

With all 3 and my PW I practice 3/4 and 1/2 swings to cover all the distances under 100 yards...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

We do have basically the same setup. The 21* hybrid fills the gap nicely for me and I can choke down to control distance. I can't seem to get the hang of controlling height with hybrids so hitting that screamer isn't an option; they just want to go up. I pulled the 4 because I can hit the low screamer with the 5 iron and I just never used the 4 very often. Wanted to fill the bottom end of tee bag for the more common distances.

Actually I have just started working with hybrids and am still experimenting with them. I have been working on the low screamer with the 19 but have not got that dialed in yet. The 22 I have the high fade dialed in with that stops good. 

G

I play 50/7, 54/12, 58/4

50/7 which is more like my 10 iron (but only swining at 80%)

54/12 with more bounce for the fluffy, soft lies and bunkers

58/4 with the least amount of bounce to open up and hit flops or hardpan bunkers

With all 3 and my PW I practice 3/4 and 1/2 swings to cover all the distances under 100 yards...

I notice you have the same shafts in your Callys that I have in the 2013 forged Xs

G

My pitching wedge is 45, so I bent my wedges 1 degree strong to close the gaps down to 4 degrees, so it is 49, 53, 57, I use all of hem for a variety of shots, I don't like to hit half shots or 3/4 shots, I tend to fade/leave them out, or chunk them, so I try to get to a distance to have full swings which are 90-93% swings, so I can comfortably hit my full 57 degree 95 yards. If I have 105, I usually muscle up and full swing rather than hitting a soft 53, bit that's because I prefer the hard swing vs. the easier swing. I have a complicated mind, and I try to go with whatever swing I have for that day, if I'm swinging well, then club selection is easier, but if I'm not swinging well, I tend to think too much and often choose the wrong club.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I have probably 9 or 10 wedges right now that I've used this season. So far, my best results have been from my set gap wedge (50*), 56 SM6 m grind, and 60 SM4 (not sure the grind on it). I like the gapping I have with them, and I prefer to play a bump n run over higher shots so they don't get used a whole lot around the green.

My 50*, 54* and 58* are about the only ones I use to bump and run!!  Maybe my 46* if it's a long roll to the pin.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I love my SCORs for the same reason that Rev does.  They are very versatile.  The reason is the V-sole, and I assume that it's the same as used on the Ben Hogan TK wedges.  I have them from 58, 54, 50, 46, and the 42 is my 9i.  The V-Sole gives these clubs high bounce near the leading edge to prevent digging, but low bounce towards the trailing edge to allow for playability from tight lies.  The specs vary depending on the loft of the club, but here are the specs for mine:

Lead Bounce          Primary Bounce

58                 30*                              7*

54                 25*                              5*

50                 20*                              5*

46                 18*                              4*

42                 18*                              4*

I bought a spare set of SCORs when they closed them out, just in case I need to replace them one of these days.  No other wedge compares in performance.  They did take a little getting used to, but once I did...

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have a 50 gap wedge that goes with my V6 irons and then PMP 52, 56 and 60. I needed the 52 because my 50 went 140 and the 56 went 120. The 52 fits perfectly in that gap.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I love my SCORs for the same reason that Rev does.  They are very versatile.  The reason is the V-sole, and I assume that it's the same as used on the Ben Hogan TK wedges.  I have them from 58, 54, 50, 46, and the 42 is my 9i.  The V-Sole gives these clubs high bounce near the leading edge to prevent digging, but low bounce towards the trailing edge to allow for playability from tight lies.  The specs vary depending on the loft of the club, but here are the specs for mine:

Lead Bounce          Primary Bounce

58                 30*                              7*

54                 25*                              5*

50                 20*                              5*

46                 18*                              4*

42                 18*                              4*

I bought a spare set of SCORs when they closed them out, just in case I need to replace them one of these days.  No other wedge compares in performance.  They did take a little getting used to, but once I did...

I'm using all Hogan TKs right now, they replaced my Vokeys and I love the turf interaction!

I gotta say, wedges are a personal thing. What kind of course you play, your skill with a wedge, your ability to hit other clubs all factor in. I would say that of all the clubs in the bag, wedges are the most open to experimentation and tweaking. 

Take the bounce, most OEMs offer a handful of bounce options on every single loft!

Now, take your wedge play; I'm pretty handy with a wedge which is why I can get away with only going up to a 56* I can open it way up or close it down to get a lot of different lofts out of the same club. Any approach shots inside 115 yds, I just use my 52* and vary my back swing. It works for me. One club, less thinking!

Now, consider your home course. What are the bunkers like? How hard is the ground/long the rough around the greens? That's going to affect which sole grind you want.

I say, get a set of three wedges. Play a couple rounds. If there's a wedge you use significantly less than the other two (there will be!), analyze why you use it less. What could you replace it with that would be used more? Repeat that process for the next 50 years or until death.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I notice you have the same shafts in your Callys that I have in the 2013 forged Xs

You mean the PX 5.5?

I used to play KBS Tour, but my fitter saw too much ballooning and told me if I didn't want (or can) change my swing... the shafts should help me lower the flight a little.

I see a lot of people dislike the PX feel, but I like them!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Depends how far I have to fly it. If I short side myself, or the flag is on a higher tier, I'll use a wedge, but I prefer a 7-9i

If I used 7-9i to chip from close to the green, the ball would end up off the back of the green.  I prefer chipping with only a couple of my wedges depending on the lie, what the green in front of me looks like, how far away the pin is from the edge of the green, how far away my ball is from the edge of the green, uphill or downhill, and green speed.  I think I got that way when I started riding in a cart and didn't have my bag with me when I approached the green.  I would grab a couple of wedges.  Now, even when I walk with my pushcart, I still pull one of those clubs.  It because a habit.

If I used 7-9i to chip from close to the green, the ball would end up off the back of the green. I prefer chipping with only a couple of my wedges depending on the lie, what the green in front of me looks like, how far away the pin is from the edge of the green, how far away my ball is from the edge of the green, uphill or downhill, and green speed. I think I got that way when I started riding in a cart and didn't have my bag with me when I approached the green. I would grab a couple of wedges. Now, even when I walk with my pushcart, I still pull one of those clubs. It because a habit.

I love my 9 iron. Was the first club I ever owned. Would hit all kinds of shots in my back yard and at the practice areas when mom and dad would be on the range

I love my 9 iron. Was the first club I ever owned. Would hit all kinds of shots in my back yard and at the practice areas when mom and dad would be on the range

That's my wife's favorite club around the green too.  Our old course had much slower greens and her 9i was THE club for most shots.  On our current course, she has changed to PW and really should use her SW on some shots, but her technique needs improving with more lofted clubs.  She is still working so she doesn't get to practice much.  I spend time around the green on most days, and I usually grab the 58 because if I can hit that off any lie, I can hit any other wedge.

I use a 53/57 set up right now. PW is for full shots only.

Lately the 53° is getting the chipping done. 57° is just kind of taking up space in my bag.

I can hood the 53 or open it up and hit the same shots as the 57. Even Flops.

A revamp of my wedge set up is due. They are My favorite clubs. Looking at some Miura's... anyone have any first hand playing time with them?

Up until the midway point of this season I carried three wedges MD3 s-grind 50 54 60(bent to 59). My 60 was my go to around the greens and on most pitches inside 75 yards. Living in Calgary the ball carries further than in some places so my 54 is for shots between 110-125.

I have recently updated my irons and worked the the rep to address my wedge short comings. We opted to move to the GW to watch my King Pro's - the 50 MD3, although a killer wedge, just wasn't offering me much forgiveness at the 135-140 window where I found myself leaving scoring chances on the course.

The other two wedges: I worked with the rep to find the grinds that complemented how/where I used them most and although I felt my game around the greens was good before it is now one of the areas I have the most confidence.

As per advice on your situation: weigh the pros/cons of each setup and where in your bag/game could benefit the most.

I personally believe having a club solely for that 1 shot around is a waste. Especially if you could save 2 or 3 strokes off per round by alleviating the pressure elsewhere in your bag.

I currently have 50*, 54* & 60* Cleveland wedges. See my signature for the details. I like this setup as it gives me the ability to hit various shots. I can the the 50* anywhere from 100 yards to 130 yards depending on how much spin I want. The 54* I can go from 80 yards to 115 yards. The 60 40 yards to 95 yards. I never take a full swing with wedges. As I do not like to see the ball come backwards.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

My pitching wedge is 45, so I bent my wedges 1 degree strong to close the gaps down to 4 degrees, so it is 49, 53, 57, I use all of hem for a variety of shots, I don't like to hit half shots or 3/4 shots, I tend to fade/leave them out, or chunk them, so I try to get to a distance to have full swings which are 90-93% swings, so I can comfortably hit my full 57 degree 95 yards. If I have 105, I usually muscle up and full swing rather than hitting a soft 53, bit that's because I prefer the hard swing vs. the easier swing. I have a complicated mind, and I try to go with whatever swing I have for that day, if I'm swinging well, then club selection is easier, but if I'm not swinging well, I tend to think too much and often choose the wrong club.

Basically one of the reasons I only carry 3 wedges

G

You mean the PX 5.5?

I used to play KBS Tour, but my fitter saw too much ballooning and told me if I didn't want (or can) change my swing... the shafts should help me lower the flight a little.

I see a lot of people dislike the PX feel, but I like them!

Yep the PX 5.5 But for some reason for me in the Callys they fly high or at least high for me. For some reason I have never dialed in the feel on those> I am thinking of pulling those shafts and putting them in a set of pristine 1980 Macs or my Muirfields. But then I got an idea> I bought a couple of used demo 6 irons with the 5.5 PXI shafts for $5 each I may pull one of those and try it in the Mac 6 iron to see. Do not really want to pull the Callys down

G

If I used 7-9i to chip from close to the green, the ball would end up off the back of the green.  I prefer chipping with only a couple of my wedges depending on the lie, what the green in front of me looks like, how far away the pin is from the edge of the green, how far away my ball is from the edge of the green, uphill or downhill, and green speed.  I think I got that way when I started riding in a cart and didn't have my bag with me when I approached the green.  I would grab a couple of wedges.  Now, even when I walk with my pushcart, I still pull one of those clubs.  It because a habit.

I'm all about that 8i for bump and runs just off the green. The sooner I can get the ball on the ground and not in the air, the better control I have!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Archived