TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wedge-mania

The Bogey Master

I'm all about that 8i for bump and runs just off the green. The sooner I can get the ball on the ground and not in the air, the better control I have!

Just did an on the course practice with the odyssey x-act tank chipper, it has the same loft as the modern gi 8i loft 37*. Like I said before chipping is a dying art, you got to have some good imagination and visualization as it takes more break than I'm used to. Plus short chips require soft hand and touch. I enjoyed the session a lot, it's different than putting from off the green.

I'm all about that 8i for bump and runs just off the green. The sooner I can get the ball on the ground and not in the air, the better control I have!

That's what I do with my wedges too.  Although I usually use my 50 for pins further away, I have used my 46 and rarely my 42.  All chips land within the mower width next to the fringe.  If I have to go longer for some reason, I will carry the ball further into the green rather than use an 8i or longer club.  The reason is that all my wedges and 9i are SCORs and the feel is the same for them; my 8i is a different feeling club when chipping and I never practice with it.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

That's my wife's favorite club around the green too. Our old course had much slower greens and her 9i was THE club for most shots. On our current course, she has changed to PW and really should use her SW on some shots, but her technique needs improving with more lofted clubs. She is still working so she doesn't get to practice much. I spend time around the green on most days, and I usually grab the 58 because if I can hit that off any lie, I can hit any other wedge.

Everyone's greens around here are slow. I think that's why I love it so much. If there were faster greens I'd likely be using my 56 way more often

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I try to follow the carry to roll ratio for my clubs. Depending on carry to roll I pick the corresponding club. My 1:1 ratio club is my 54* which I struggle with blading or chunking. Based on my misses I seem to end up in this clubs range a lot. Too far to use a less lofted irons because of too much rollout or getting hung up in the grass

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I try to follow the carry to roll ratio for my clubs. Depending on carry to roll I pick the corresponding club. My 1:1 ratio club is my 54* which I struggle with blading or chunking. Based on my misses I seem to end up in this clubs range a lot. Too far to use a less lofted irons because of too much rollout or getting hung up in the grass

I don't have that problem; likely a grass issue.  No Bermuda and the grass isn't very thick around our greens.  Pitch shot distance is another story.  Areas where most people don't play can be very wiry.  It just grabs the club; swing hard and hope!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

49° Titleist 681 PW.

Then for goat tracks I play Scratch 53 & 58 + a Mizzy 60° with the bounce ground off for dirt bunkers. For sweet courses ( Pelican Hill for example) ... Miura 53 & 58.

Love the Miuras. Tried Vokeys ... just cannot hit them which does not make logical sense. Could not feel the head weight thru the swing. So I play what works for me.

Sent from my XT1650 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered some new wedges today and I'm going to try something a little different on the recommendation from bulldog.

I'm going with 54 58 62 instead of 55 and 60. My set gap wedge is at 50.

Anyone else ever try two lob wedges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordered some new wedges today and I'm going to try something a little different on the recommendation from bulldog.

I'm going with 54 58 62 instead of 55 and 60. My set gap wedge is at 50.

Anyone else ever try two lob wedges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never tried two lob wedges in the bag at the same time. I have a 64 but swap it out with the 60 at a couple of courses that are shorter and have deep bunkers. The yardage difference is so small it would be a waste of a club in my bag.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

Archived