• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Exactly to what Big Stu said - who cares about our games, beyond conversation?   What about your game? Why are you a bogey golfer? Have you analyzed things to see where you loose strokes? What

I want to know about everyone else's wedge setups and the logic behind it. I'm currently gaming a 60 degree Nike Engage, a 56 degree Vokey SM6, and a GW and PW that came with my set of Callaway X Hots

What you see in my signature.  Old School all the way!! PW 48  GW 52 SW 57.   Now I am a wedge Ho I have probably 100 wedges and I experiment with them a lot.  I have said this before it is the differ

Depends how far I have to fly it. If I short side myself, or the flag is on a higher tier, I'll use a wedge, but I prefer a 7-9i

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

If I used 7-9i to chip from close to the green, the ball would end up off the back of the green.  I prefer chipping with only a couple of my wedges depending on the lie, what the green in front of me looks like, how far away the pin is from the edge of the green, how far away my ball is from the edge of the green, uphill or downhill, and green speed.  I think I got that way when I started riding in a cart and didn't have my bag with me when I approached the green.  I would grab a couple of wedges.  Now, even when I walk with my pushcart, I still pull one of those clubs.  It because a habit.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If I used 7-9i to chip from close to the green, the ball would end up off the back of the green. I prefer chipping with only a couple of my wedges depending on the lie, what the green in front of me looks like, how far away the pin is from the edge of the green, how far away my ball is from the edge of the green, uphill or downhill, and green speed. I think I got that way when I started riding in a cart and didn't have my bag with me when I approached the green. I would grab a couple of wedges. Now, even when I walk with my pushcart, I still pull one of those clubs. It because a habit.

I love my 9 iron. Was the first club I ever owned. Would hit all kinds of shots in my back yard and at the practice areas when mom and dad would be on the range

• Like 2

I love my 9 iron. Was the first club I ever owned. Would hit all kinds of shots in my back yard and at the practice areas when mom and dad would be on the range

That's my wife's favorite club around the green too.  Our old course had much slower greens and her 9i was THE club for most shots.  On our current course, she has changed to PW and really should use her SW on some shots, but her technique needs improving with more lofted clubs.  She is still working so she doesn't get to practice much.  I spend time around the green on most days, and I usually grab the 58 because if I can hit that off any lie, I can hit any other wedge.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I use a 53/57 set up right now. PW is for full shots only.

Lately the 53° is getting the chipping done. 57° is just kind of taking up space in my bag.

I can hood the 53 or open it up and hit the same shots as the 57. Even Flops.

A revamp of my wedge set up is due. They are My favorite clubs. Looking at some Miura's... anyone have any first hand playing time with them?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Up until the midway point of this season I carried three wedges MD3 s-grind 50 54 60(bent to 59). My 60 was my go to around the greens and on most pitches inside 75 yards. Living in Calgary the ball carries further than in some places so my 54 is for shots between 110-125.

I have recently updated my irons and worked the the rep to address my wedge short comings. We opted to move to the GW to watch my King Pro's - the 50 MD3, although a killer wedge, just wasn't offering me much forgiveness at the 135-140 window where I found myself leaving scoring chances on the course.

The other two wedges: I worked with the rep to find the grinds that complemented how/where I used them most and although I felt my game around the greens was good before it is now one of the areas I have the most confidence.

As per advice on your situation: weigh the pros/cons of each setup and where in your bag/game could benefit the most.

I personally believe having a club solely for that 1 shot around is a waste. Especially if you could save 2 or 3 strokes off per round by alleviating the pressure elsewhere in your bag.

I currently have 50*, 54* & 60* Cleveland wedges. See my signature for the details. I like this setup as it gives me the ability to hit various shots. I can the the 50* anywhere from 100 yards to 130 yards depending on how much spin I want. The 54* I can go from 80 yards to 115 yards. The 60 40 yards to 95 yards. I never take a full swing with wedges. As I do not like to see the ball come backwards.

Driver: Taylormade M6 10.5*

FW: Sub70 16* 4 wood

Hybrid: 19* Tour Edge Exotics EX5

Irons:  Sub 70 

639 CB 4 - 6

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Taylormade Spider
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
Handicap index:  +2.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

My pitching wedge is 45, so I bent my wedges 1 degree strong to close the gaps down to 4 degrees, so it is 49, 53, 57, I use all of hem for a variety of shots, I don't like to hit half shots or 3/4 shots, I tend to fade/leave them out, or chunk them, so I try to get to a distance to have full swings which are 90-93% swings, so I can comfortably hit my full 57 degree 95 yards. If I have 105, I usually muscle up and full swing rather than hitting a soft 53, bit that's because I prefer the hard swing vs. the easier swing. I have a complicated mind, and I try to go with whatever swing I have for that day, if I'm swinging well, then club selection is easier, but if I'm not swinging well, I tend to think too much and often choose the wrong club.

Basically one of the reasons I only carry 3 wedges

Driver --- Honma G1-X Stock R Flex----  3W Callaway Steelhead UST Pro Force Gold 65 stiff--- 2 iron 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R flex-------- Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts--- SW Cleveland 588 Sensicore S-400-- Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft-- Bag Old School Hoofer I had in the stash--- Goes along with my raggety persona

You mean the PX 5.5?

I used to play KBS Tour, but my fitter saw too much ballooning and told me if I didn't want (or can) change my swing... the shafts should help me lower the flight a little.

I see a lot of people dislike the PX feel, but I like them!

Yep the PX 5.5 But for some reason for me in the Callys they fly high or at least high for me. For some reason I have never dialed in the feel on those> I am thinking of pulling those shafts and putting them in a set of pristine 1980 Macs or my Muirfields. But then I got an idea> I bought a couple of used demo 6 irons with the 5.5 PXI shafts for $5 each I may pull one of those and try it in the Mac 6 iron to see. Do not really want to pull the Callys down

Driver --- Honma G1-X Stock R Flex----  3W Callaway Steelhead UST Pro Force Gold 65 stiff--- 2 iron 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R flex-------- Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts--- SW Cleveland 588 Sensicore S-400-- Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft-- Bag Old School Hoofer I had in the stash--- Goes along with my raggety persona

If I used 7-9i to chip from close to the green, the ball would end up off the back of the green.  I prefer chipping with only a couple of my wedges depending on the lie, what the green in front of me looks like, how far away the pin is from the edge of the green, how far away my ball is from the edge of the green, uphill or downhill, and green speed.  I think I got that way when I started riding in a cart and didn't have my bag with me when I approached the green.  I would grab a couple of wedges.  Now, even when I walk with my pushcart, I still pull one of those clubs.  It because a habit.

I'm all about that 8i for bump and runs just off the green. The sooner I can get the ball on the ground and not in the air, the better control I have!

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I'm all about that 8i for bump and runs just off the green. The sooner I can get the ball on the ground and not in the air, the better control I have!

Just did an on the course practice with the odyssey x-act tank chipper, it has the same loft as the modern gi 8i loft 37*. Like I said before chipping is a dying art, you got to have some good imagination and visualization as it takes more break than I'm used to. Plus short chips require soft hand and touch. I enjoyed the session a lot, it's different than putting from off the green.

• Like 3

That's what I do with my wedges too.  Although I usually use my 50 for pins further away, I have used my 46 and rarely my 42.  All chips land within the mower width next to the fringe.  If I have to go longer for some reason, I will carry the ball further into the green rather than use an 8i or longer club.  The reason is that all my wedges and 9i are SCORs and the feel is the same for them; my 8i is a different feeling club when chipping and I never practice with it.  

• Like 1

That's my wife's favorite club around the green too. Our old course had much slower greens and her 9i was THE club for most shots. On our current course, she has changed to PW and really should use her SW on some shots, but her technique needs improving with more lofted clubs. She is still working so she doesn't get to practice much. I spend time around the green on most days, and I usually grab the 58 because if I can hit that off any lie, I can hit any other wedge.

Everyone's greens around here are slow. I think that's why I love it so much. If there were faster greens I'd likely be using my 56 way more often

• Like 1

I try to follow the carry to roll ratio for my clubs. Depending on carry to roll I pick the corresponding club. My 1:1 ratio club is my 54* which I struggle with blading or chunking. Based on my misses I seem to end up in this clubs range a lot. Too far to use a less lofted irons because of too much rollout or getting hung up in the grass

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I try to follow the carry to roll ratio for my clubs. Depending on carry to roll I pick the corresponding club. My 1:1 ratio club is my 54* which I struggle with blading or chunking. Based on my misses I seem to end up in this clubs range a lot. Too far to use a less lofted irons because of too much rollout or getting hung up in the grass

I don't have that problem; likely a grass issue.  No Bermuda and the grass isn't very thick around our greens.  Pitch shot distance is another story.  Areas where most people don't play can be very wiry.  It just grabs the club; swing hard and hope!!

49° Titleist 681 PW.

Then for goat tracks I play Scratch 53 & 58 + a Mizzy 60° with the bounce ground off for dirt bunkers. For sweet courses ( Pelican Hill for example) ... Miura 53 & 58.

Love the Miuras. Tried Vokeys ... just cannot hit them which does not make logical sense. Could not feel the head weight thru the swing. So I play what works for me.

Sent from my XT1650 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

1st time out with my new wedges and was happy with em. TM Tour Preferred EF in 54/11 & 60/10

Questioned the 54/11 but it preformed well out of the bunkers. I'll hold off for now bending it to 55/12.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Ordered some new wedges today and I'm going to try something a little different on the recommendation from bulldog.

I'm going with 54 58 62 instead of 55 and 60. My set gap wedge is at 50.

Anyone else ever try two lob wedges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordered some new wedges today and I'm going to try something a little different on the recommendation from bulldog.

I'm going with 54 58 62 instead of 55 and 60. My set gap wedge is at 50.

Anyone else ever try two lob wedges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never tried two lob wedges in the bag at the same time. I have a 64 but swap it out with the 60 at a couple of courses that are shorter and have deep bunkers. The yardage difference is so small it would be a waste of a club in my bag.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦