Sign in to follow this  
ole gray

Lie Angle Upright or Flat

I recently had my irons bent up to 2 degrees from a suggestion from a good friend.  Being 6' 2" tall he said you need an upright lie. We didn't take in to account my arms are pretty long etc.  So up 2 degrees we go and I was still showing marks on the tape towards the toe. On the course my irons which are usually the best thing in my bag, went drastically south.  Enough of that so I went back and went through the lie board thing again. After bending my 7 iron down to 1 degree flat I was striping it with marks in the very center of the club. Really crazy stuff but I suppose my whacky swing needs set up totally opposite from what you would think I need.   :wacko: 

What is your lie angle on your irons?  I'm curious to see if anyone else goes against the grain. 

• Like 3

I'm 6' 4" and mine are up 2*

My irons/wedges were shaky at best when I was trying to play them at standard and +.5". Once I bent them up, I suddenly got this beautiful flight to them and stopped taking gopher hole divots.

To each their own right?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Different companies have different stock lies as well

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That's what my buddy was telling me today. Actually my Razr XF irons come standard at one degree flat.

• Like 1

2 degrees flat - always.

And it's possible for two players to be the same height and same arm length and have different lies on their irons.

• Like 5

Getting your clubs lie adjust based on static measurements is extremely foolish 

• Like 5

You can be very tall and still have a flat lie angle. Or short and upright. A lot depends on where you are tall. If you have a very long torso and relatively short legs you're going to deliver the club differently than someone the same height who has long legs and short arms. Somebody who tells you to go 2 up because you're tall means well but is misinformed. Step 1 is measure your current lie angles and pick one club from your set. Then move that club up or flat depending on whether you're striking toward heel or toe until you get it perfect. Then chart where that adjusted club is relative to that manufacturer spec sheet. Then move the rest of the set to match your new spec

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

I'm 5'10" and 3.5 up, green.

• Like 1

I'm 6'2" and play my irons 1.5* up

6'6" here and mine are 3* upright. That is just from a static fitting I did myself. I'd like to get fit when I make my next iron purchase.

I am 5' 10" and standard for my current set but as has already been mentioned every manufacturer and set have different standard lie angles.   Lots more than height that influences lie angle such as posture, arm length, and shaft deflection.    

• Like 1

You can be very tall and still have a flat lie angle. Or short and upright. A lot depends on where you are tall. If you have a very long torso and relatively short legs you're going to deliver the club differently than someone the same height who has long legs and short arms. Somebody who tells you to go 2 up because you're tall means well but is misinformed. Step 1 is measure your current lie angles and pick one club from your set. Then move that club up or flat depending on whether you're striking toward heel or toe until you get it perfect. Then chart where that adjusted club is relative to that manufacturer spec sheet. Then move the rest of the set to match your new spec

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That's exactly what we did today! We started with my 7 iron and worked with it and once it was good we finished out the set 🏌️

• Like 4

I'm 5'11 and 3/4"; I used to be 6'0" but apparently I've shrunk before my last Dr. visit.  My Pings are purple dot, 1.5* flat, because that's what I was fitted for.  I play my MacGregors at 2* flat.

• Like 2

I'm 5'11 and 3/4"; I used to be 6'0" but apparently I've shrunk before my last Dr. visit. My Pings are purple dot, 1.5* flat, because that's what I was fitted for. I play my MacGregors at 2* flat.

Truthfully I've probably shrunk an inch or two myself in more places than height

• Like 6

I'm 6'5 and go 2 degrees upright based off a lie board fitting a few times. I have a friend who is 6'4 and plays his 2* flat. He has very bent over address and impact position. Think Michelle Wie's putting stance.

I played with his 2 degree flat Irons once, I was wider right more often than Scott Norwood.

• Like 4

6' here. Standard length, one degree up. I used to play standard lie +1" and I hit those well. My last two sets have had the standard/1 up and I can't tell the difference.

I'm 6'5 and go 2 degrees upright based off a lie board fitting a few times. I have a friend who is 6'4 and plays his 2* flat. He has very bent over address and impact position. Think Michelle Wie's putting stance.

I played with his 2 degree flat Irons once, I was wider right more often than Scott Norwood.

How many are going to catch the Scott Norwood"

• Like 2

Truthfully I've probably shrunk an inch or two myself in more places than height

That's just because it's cold...

• Like 4