Sign in to follow this  
ole gray

Lie Angle Upright or Flat

6'1" ... long arms & torso. Short legs. 20 years ago I played Ping Eye2 Green Dot (2° up I think) to control ball flight. I was slicing with std black dot lie. As my swing improved the green dots started hooking. Went to std Titleist lie. Ball flight baby draw. Got fitted last year ... Titleist std lie is perfect for me, still. Baby draw - high ball flight. I believe lie should be fitted outdoors, only. Where you can take a divot & see your ball flight. Indoors on a mat ... tough to judge a divot & ball flight. The game is played outdoors.

Sent from my XT1650 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Dang! Is everyone but me on this forum over 6'?? :huh:

Don't worry your not alone I'm 5' 10" ish. But 70 years old and shrunk a lot

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm what used to be termed average...5'8"...but 10" tall and bulletproof!

• Like 2

3* upright. I'm 6'4" and play minimally .5 over. Addionally, my swing path is outside in which adds angle so I may actually need more but I'm finally hitting the ball straight with a normal divit instead of a deep toe divot

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

You can be very tall and still have a flat lie angle. Or short and upright. A lot depends on where you are tall. If you have a very long torso and relatively short legs you're going to deliver the club differently than someone the same height who has long legs and short arms. Somebody who tells you to go 2 up because you're tall means well but is misinformed. Step 1 is measure your current lie angles and pick one club from your set. Then move that club up or flat depending on whether you're striking toward heel or toe until you get it perfect. Then chart where that adjusted club is relative to that manufacturer spec sheet. Then move the rest of the set to match your new spec

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This ^^^^ exactly!  Everyone delivers the club to the ball differently.  Just because your tall, doesn't mean you should be upright & just because your short, doesn't mean you need it flat.  

My irons are only 1* up but they are forged so they move quite often.  That's why I have my own loft/lie machine in the Man Cave!  I adjust my clubs all the time.

loft_machine.jpg

• Like 4

This ^^^^ exactly! Everyone delivers the club to the ball differently. Just because your tall, doesn't mean you should be upright & just because your short, doesn't mean you need it flat.

My irons are only 1* up but they are forged so they move quite often. That's why I have my own loft/lie machine in the Man Cave! I adjust my clubs all the time.

attachicon.gifloft_machine.jpg

Whoa? Is that a Mitchell machine? It's a beaut

• Like 1

Whoa? Is that a Mitchell machine? It's a beaut

Looks like a Golf Mechanix to me.

Looks like a Golf Mechanix to me.

Ding ding ding ... we have a winner. You are correct sir!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am 5'10 on a good day.. I play Blk dot Ping g25's . And Now Wilson D300's.. I have noticed, a little toe dig with the Wilson's so I looked up the specs and they are .5* flat from the Pings.. Not a lot of difference but might be the cause.. 

5'7" - 2 degrees flat, if I go anymore flat, the club just looks funny at address to my eyes. I would like to have every iron checked because some irons may need less lie changes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Man!! Some of you guys are freakin monsters...6'4", 6'5"...etc. I wish I was a little taller, I wish I was a good golfer 😣😣😣

• Like 6

Man!! Some of you guys are freakin monsters...6'4", 6'5"...etc. I wish I was a little taller, I wish I was a good golfer

We should have chosen our parents better

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Man!! Some of you guys are freakin monsters...6'4", 6'5"...etc. I wish I was a little taller, I wish I was a good golfer 😣😣😣

I wish I was a baller

I wish I had a girl who looked good, I would call her

I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat

And a six four Impala

• Like 2

I am also 6ft 2 and my irons are two degrees up. I have found that the static fitting is fine but what really matters is what happens during impact. Some players raise their hands up from where they were at address which effectively flattens the lie angle of the club. So, in theory your flat lie angle could be telling your body to stay down to hit the center. I have actually seen this in certain people but not everyone.

• Like 2

Man!! Some of you guys are freakin monsters...6'4", 6'5"...etc. I wish I was a little taller, I wish I was a good golfer

Always down for a Skee-Lo reference... didn't expect to find one here.

For me 1.79 meters tall, or just under 5'11". 1* upright, could maybe bend to a .5* upright if I wanted.

• Like 1

I should play my irons flat but I have a progressive system in my irons

My Long irons (4,5) play one degree upright. Mid Irons (6,7,8) are standard. Short Irons (9,PW) are 1 degree flat.

I base my lie off of ball flight not what a chart or lie board says. My long irons will fade so making them upright makes sens to bring that ball flight left. The short irons are easier to turn over so having them flat helps keep the hook away.

I'm glad you mentioned this! Something I've been wondering about, and further wondering if it might benefit me.

My current irons - which I went through a fitting for where he did lie board and LM - are Cobra's "standard" length and lie.

Probably going back to the fitter in the Spring (my season is over in one week) and definitely going to check that out - most especially with the shorter clubs that I tend to hit left (I'm right-handed).