Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

On Wisconsin

hockeyscout

Have a business trip that takes me from Buffalo to Minneapolis to Pittsburgh in late September. I have a travel day, work in MSP, then an off day and a travel day to Pittsburgh. Am considered flying to Madison from Buffalo and playing Sand Valley and Lawsonia Links on the travel days and off day. Thoughts? Other recommendations? Am considering SentryWorld and University Ridge, as well. Not an RTJ fan however. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

If you're in Minneapolis there's not shortage of great tracks -- Troy Burne in Hudson, WI is just over the river and is a treat.  Also recommend Stoneridge, Stonebrooke, The Wilds, The Legends, Willingers, Meadows of Mystic Lake -- all within 20-30 minutes of the Twin Cities.  Let me know when you'll be around, I'll be in the middle of a move but should be in the area the last week of September. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Going strictly off what I have read in a few accounts, if you have the time and availability to play Sand Valey, it is supposed to be phenomenal.  I think it would be worth the trip over the Madison courses, IMO.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I grew up just outside of Madison and now live in MN.  U-Ridge is decent, haven't played the other courses you mentioned.

That said if the weather is good I'd stick around the twin cities and play any of the courses Barbajo mentioned.  Troy Burne and Stoneridge would be towards the top of my list.  They aren't very far from each other so you could probably get in 36 in a day.  There's no shortage of great courses around here and it would eliminate having to take half a day to travel to Madison.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I grew up just outside of Madison and now live in MN. U-Ridge is decent, haven't played the other courses you mentioned.

That said if the weather is good I'd stick around the twin cities and play any of the courses Barbajo mentioned. Troy Burne and Stoneridge would be towards the top of my list. They aren't very far from each other so you could probably get in 36 in a day. There's no shortage of great courses around here and it would eliminate having to take half a day to travel to Madison.

Thanks for the suggestion I've read good things about some of the courses you mention, but don't want to carry my clubs on the plane unless I'm playing something I'm really curious about. I've driven MSP to Madison. It is four hours. Tops. Wouldn't likely do it for one round, but for two or three, no problem. The courses are also closer than for hours to the Twin Cities. Madison is the closest airport.

I've been lucky enough to go to Bandon (Mike Keiser, same developer) and played some Coore & Crenshaw designs. Sand Valley gets my interest. Lawsonia is also highly recommended by Tom Doak in his Confidential Guides. That's what my motivation is.

Thanks though. If I'm ever in your area with my clubs, I would love to play one of those costs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Archived