TESTERS WANTED! ×

Most Overlooked Aspect of (Your) Game?

Shankster

Which area is lacking in your practice? Or what is that club you don't feel so confident standing over? Why? Are you going to fix it?

For me. My woods, and putter get the least attention during practice. The clubs that I statistically hit more than any other in the bag, really don't interest me.

1. 460cc weird bubble looking thing

2. Skinny little flat stick

It is coming to the end of my season really, only the rest of August and September left.

But my goal for the remainder of the year is to focus on my weaknesses until I see a drastic drop in my iron and wedge play. I'd rather hood a 3 iron than hit a driver, and hit a long chip/pitch than a 10' putt... that needs to change, by the stats I am leaving a ton of distance out there, and obviously putting for $ is true. I'm sick of 3 jacking when I'm on in GIR.

https://youtu.be/yyqoNMwfO6g

All just in time to forget it over the next 5 months.

What's your story?

Look yourself in the eye and ask yourself where do I need to improve to score lower. Make a goal for yourself and get it done!

- A.S.

Sent from #nothingfeelslikeamizuno dreamland...

It isn't that I don't practice my short game,  but I guess I don't practice it enough.   50 and in is definitely my weak area and I kind of work on it but getting to the point of not knowing what to do.  I can do half wedge shots,  but when it comes to those finesse shots I am lacking.   Generally, I can hit them on the practice green,  just isn't translating to the course.  Probably going to switch wedges again but I know that really isn't the issue.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Putting - worst part of my game and least practiced. I need some real help here.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Chipping. Sucks so bad, and I don't practice it enough. I always have problems with barely hitting it or decelerating through my stroke. I have a really hard time chipping and getting the ball close to the hole, always leaving myself with longer putts.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Putting Putting and Putting. I've practiced all year on it. It was that I was leaving all my putts short. I've fixed that problem with a new putting form. Now it's went the other way with running a putt by 5'. Can't seem to find a good medium.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

HMMMMM ALL ASPECTS from the way I have been playing lately.  LOL.

But seriously I would say chipping gets the least amount of attention.

Funny though I have really been working on wedges from 9 to 3 (half shot pitches) and have had those multiple times during rounds.  I have been able to execute pretty well.  I guess there is something to that "practice".

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

Interesting responses!  I LOVE to practice chipping and putting.  I spend 90% of my practice time around the putting green.  If I take an extended break from golf (more than a week), my short game suffers.  I have to keep working at it.  I don't practice woods much at all.  I don't have issues with them on the course, so I don't spend time with them on the range.  

I know my weakness is with irons.  I am not a solid ball striker with irons.  If I put the ball on a very short tee, I am much better, but on the grass I have OK days and not very good days.  I need to spend more time with them, but dang... I hate hitting balls!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

40-70 yard pitches. When I practice them I'm good, but without practice I'm awful. I can practice any other aspect for 5 minutes and I'm fine, but those pitch shots need regular, serious practice

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

My irons have been slipping recently and I don't know why it has always been the strength of my game. I've went from a good sand player last year to very poor this year but my chipping improved so I need to work on sand shots like I worked on my chips and pitches.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Great topic...

I've devoted a lot of time to my full swing this summer because of some changes that I was working on. That meant that I neglected my short game.

I've shifted the focus to short game/wedges and fairway/hybrid because that's where I hit the most shots in a round other than driver. When I'm swinging well I only hit two or three drivers to warm up and then in the round. Never to practice on the range.

I love to practice the short game. I have lots of games that I play with myself around the green to keep it interesting. I'm happy to be working on those things again.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

All,.. can't remember last time I've actually practiced. When I hit a bucket its really to warm up before a round

+1 except for my putter. Those that have played with me will vouch that my lagging is pretty bloody good.

No time for practice or play at the moment.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Mine is 90 percent mental which is directly related to course management.  I need to focus more on where not to hit the ball and dialing back on trying to drive the ball further than necessary.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

For me it's not necessarily a club or swing that is the most problematic part of my game. All of my clubs get plenty of practice.  I'm constantly working on all aspects of the game.  The part that gets me the most is the mental part.  There's way too many times where I'll hit a shot and instantly regret my decision as there is usually a smarter, safer play than the one I choose.  If I could ever get rid of just half of those shots, my game would improve greatly.  Too many times I go for the hero shot and walk away with double when I could have played a smarter, safer shot and still walked away with par.

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

For me it's a simple answer, but more greens. I do a fairly good job of getting in play from the tee. I'm usuallly 10-12/14 fairways, but I usually only hit 5-7/18 greens, I do well to get up and down a lot, but I could do way better at hitting greens. I constantly tell myself on the course to hit the ball on the green. I will say it out loud many times "it's okay to hit the ball on the green". It helps me to verbalize doing it. So that's what I need to work on.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

For me it's not necessarily a club or swing that is the most problematic part of my game. All of my clubs get plenty of practice. I'm constantly working on all aspects of the game. The part that gets me the most is the mental part. There's way too many times where I'll hit a shot and instantly regret my decision as there is usually a smarter, safer play than the one I choose. If I could ever get rid of just half of those shots, my game would improve greatly. Too many times I go for the hero shot and walk away with double when I could have played a smarter, safer shot and still walked away with par.

To help get mentally stronger, it will help when you make a decision, whatever it is, that you tell yourself that you will except the outcome before you hit it. If laying up or not making the hero shot allows you to "be okay" with the decision, then that's what you do, you cannot regret, or get mad a a decision that you made, whatever you decide it is the right decision, and you have to be okay with it.

Bunkers. We have a practice bunker that you can hit just about any club out of and in two years at my club I have never set foot in it.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Bunkers. We have a practice bunker that you can hit just about any club out of and in two years at my club I have never set foot in it.

I've been wanting a bunker to hit full shots out of myself. There is nowhere to practice hitting 6 iron or 8 iron out of a bunker. How are you supposed to learn when there is nowhere to practice it.

Interesting responses! I LOVE to practice chipping and putting. I spend 90% of my practice time around the putting green. I

I love to practice as well. I may hit half a dozen balls on the range before a round but that is about all the full swing stuff I do. I focus on short game. I work on my putting a couple of times a week and have an solid stroke that doesn't require a lot of maintenance. I need to make time for chipping/pitching since I have to go to a course. I usually get to the course a couple of hours before my weekly round and practice chipping and distance control for putting. Other times are tough since I feel like I should spend time with the family.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've been wanting a bunker to hit full shots out of myself. There is nowhere to practice hitting 6 iron or 8 iron out of a bunker. How are you supposed to learn when there is nowhere to practice it.

My range only has a high lipped bunker, SW only really. And there isn't even a bunker that remotely compares on the course.

- A.S.

Sent from #nothingfeelslikeamizuno dreamland...

Definitely putting. I give up way too many strokes because I just suck with the flat stick.

Get yourself one of those MLA putters. Those guys testing them seem to be realizing some awesome stroke savings.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Mine is 90 percent mental which is directly related to course management.  I need to focus more on where not to hit the ball and dialing back on trying to drive the ball further than necessary.  

It's difficult practicing being mental; I've spent a lot of time on it, and I'm almost there!!   :unsure:

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Mine is 90 percent mental which is directly related to course management. I need to focus more on where not to hit the ball and dialing back on trying to drive the ball further than necessary.

See for me, it's course management too only I need help in the other direction. I need to be more aggressive more often instead of constantly playing it safe. So often I'll hit an iron off the tee to avoid OB and will end up in a bunker anyway.

Mental swing thought: Just hit the f*ing ball!

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Hmmm

Probably ball striking in general-

Some days you're all over it- some days you think you need new clubs.

Making sure your basics are covered on each swing- whatever that means to you.

Alignment, posture and stance, grip, ball placement, tee height, weight transfer, etc

Trying to remain consistant!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Definitely putting. I give up way too many strokes because I just suck with the flat stick.

It can be pretty surprising how much an hour (or more) spent on the putting green 2 or 3 times a week can improve your overall game too. Used to take a folding chair with me and realx a spell because an hour+ there seems like forever and can be torture until... every putt you face out there is makeable in your mind and in reality. Nothing beats being a good putter and while practicing the short game is vital, knowing your a good putter is priceless.

And Rule No. 1 is that golf really is played between your ears. And practicing from the putting green out, or first, is boring at best but pays huge dividends across the board for the 2-3 hours a week invested.

Very good topic! For me it would definitely be shots 75-15 yards. All others are full swings and feel confident over the all. More recently my chipping has improved simply by playing it simpler and using a 7 iron a lot of the time to take some inconsistency out. However that 10-75 yards still gives me troop. On the range it's okay, pretty consistent and not bad, but on the course it's a different story!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Archived